Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"May the Wind Be at Our Backs"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Technically, this is the third story in the “Switcheroo Series” (after “Captain Sato’s Enterprise” and “Whips, Chains and Plomeek Soup”), but this tells the very first mission of Captain Sato’s Enterprise, before the events of the other two stories. The series presumes that Humans and Klingons haven’t met yet at the time of the First Mission, so it’s not like “Broken Bow”.

The Vulcans are different from the canon universe. They have their own agenda.

How will Hoshi solve her problem?

Pairings: R/S, TnT


Two

Soval of Vulcan had spent thirty-seven point five one years at the Embassy in San Francisco. As a diplomat’s assistant, he’d seen the best, as well as the worst, of Human behavior. At first, the blatant show of emotion repulsed him. He’d convinced himself these Humans were immature, illogical, childish and simply undisciplined. Vulcans were, of course, the superior species. In the course of those thirty-seven point five one years, Soval had revised his opinions more than once. He’d been forced to see his own people through outworlder eyes, and he concluded that Vulcans weren’t necessarily superior, but different.

But as the Human saying went, “The more things changed, the more they stayed the same.” Soval couldn’t help but recall those particular words as he gazed at the impassive eyes of Doctor T’Les, the Head of the Vulcan Science Academy.

“I have formally lodged a protest against my daughter’s transfer to the Earth ship,” T’Les said. “This change will disrupt an important project that she is managing. T’Pol simply cannot be spared at this time.”

Soval raised his eyebrow. This amounted to an emotional outburst for T’Les. Although her beautiful features were impassive, he heard the anger within the words. It was more than the concern of a senior scientist or the head of the Science Academy. This was the fear of a mother for her only daughter.

“I understand your objections, T’Les, but it was your daughter who volunteered to accompany the Human doctor to the ship. You cannot deny the fact that one member of the Circle must watch over him. T’Pol is capable of this. Plus, he knows her, and if there is one thing about Humans, familiarity eases the pain of transition.”

Her mouth tightened and Soval braced himself for the inevitable. To his surprise, she managed to regain some control. He knew it came at a cost; T’Les would probably spend the rest of her day in meditation to clear her mind after this difficult conversation.

“T’Les. We both know that your daughter has been...dissatisfied...with her current assignment at the Science Academy.” Soval made his voice gentle and she dropped her gaze at the sheer truth of his words. “She left the Space and Ship Operations Ministry for professional reasons, but she has always wanted to see what lies beyond Vulcan. Her heart belongs to the stars. You must let her go.”

She closed her eyes and was silent for several seconds. Soval said nothing else as he watched her struggle with her own doubts. When she opened her eyes again, her expression was calm once more. “Very well, Soval, but to ensure my cooperation, I must make a request.”

He nodded. “Ask.”

“I want you to personally watch over her progress, Soval.” Her hawk-like gaze sent a shiver of foreboding through him. “I charge thee with her welfare, I charge thee with her safety, I charge thee with her...happiness. Do you accept?”

Again, his eyebrow lifted at the word “happiness”, for that wasn’t in the original Pledge of Keeping. T’Les was asking him to be like a surrogate father, or an elder brother, to T’Pol. It was Soval who would take responsibility, should anything happen to T’Pol. It was a Pledge not taken lightly, for personal reasons, not to mention the legal and cultural ramifications.

But T’Les had made it quite clear: she would not allow T’Pol to join the Enterprise otherwise. There was only one logical reply to her request.

“I accept thy charge, mother of my cousin,” he said. “I shall be the one who will be her guide and her voice of logic and reason in all matters. I will ensure her welfare, her safety and her...happiness.”

T’Les took a deep breath and let it out in a silent sigh. “Thank you, son of my husband’s brother.”

“I should be the one to thank you, wife of my father’s brother,” he said formally.

“Do not fail in your charge, Soval.” T’Les gave him one sharp nod. “T’Les, out.” Her image vanished, to be replaced by the logo of the Vulcan Science Academy.

Soval sighed, leaned forward and rubbed his temples. He must inform T’Pol of this new arrangement. He’d already adopted a policy of complete honesty with her; she would know why he’d undertaken the Pledge on her behalf.

His intercom beeped. He took a few seconds to compose himself, then he said, “Soval.”

“Ambassador, I would like you to meet me in the Meditation Gardens, if it’s possible.”

Shock upon another shock. His sense of foreboding increased, for his assistant had never asked for such a meeting before. “Is there a problem, Jonathan?”

He heard the slight hesitation before the reply. “I require your advice, Ambassador.”

That seems to be the order of the day, Soval mused, allowing himself a slight upturn of his mouth at the thought. “I will be there in five minutes.”


Jonathan Archer, son of Henry Archer, had seen many things in his long diplomatic career. He’d thought nothing could surprise him anymore. Obviously, he was wrong.

“Let me get this straight, Trip,” he said as he looked at his old friend. “Starfleet decided to throw you for a loop and instead of working at Cape Canaveral, they’re putting you on Enterprise?”

“Yeah, two days before launch.” Trip Tucker sighed and ran a hand through his short blond hair. “They really did a number on the crew rosters. Hoshi—“

“You mean Captain Sato.”

“Yeah, she and Matt Hayes are in a bit of a bind. She’s got me as her Armory Officer, but she has to go by Vulcan to pick up her helm and medical officers. She’s still missin’ a communications officer. I told her you can help her, that you probably know someone that could fit the bill.”

Jon smiled at the hopeful tone in Trip’s voice. “I might. Where is she now?”

“Talkin’ with T’Saiya in the foyer. She speaks fluent Vulcan and she said she wanted to chat a little bit.” Trip chuckled and said, “I think she’d make a great diplomat herself, if she wasn’t in Starfleet. She knows about as many languages as you do.”

“I remember you talking about her when you two were on the Madagascar with Max Forrest.” Jon was already going over names in his mind and trying to figure out whom to recommend to Captain Sato. Unfortunately, most of the candidates were already committed somewhere else or simply didn’t adapt well to space travel.

A soft knock on the door interrupted Trip’s reply. Jon called out, “Come in.” The door opened at his invitation and Hoshi Sato walked in.

His first impression of her was “graceful.” Indeed, she moved like a gazelle on the savannah. The top of her head barely reached his shoulder, but she held herself straight and proud, so she seemed taller. Those brown eyes were all business, though Jon saw a flash of humor when she glanced at Trip. Suddenly, he realized why Trip had talked about her so glowingly when the two were on the Madagascar. There had to be more than met the eye, if Starfleet had given her Enterprise.

She may have appeared fragile, but the force of her personality struck you like a wave. He blinked, then managed to remember where he was. “Captain Sato,” he said formally. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you. Trip’s been telling me some good things about you.”

“Trip tells good things about most people,” she replied lightly. Her smile faded as her mind came back to her serious dilemma. “I’m sorry to impose on you, sir, but we don’t have a lot of time.”

Jon nodded. “Trip told me about your problem. You have to understand that it’s almost impossible to recall one of our linguists on such short notice. Diplomatic assignments can be really tricky at the best of times.” His brow wrinkled as he thought. “Would you mind if I asked for someone to join us? He might have a better idea than I do.”

“By all means, go ahead, Diplomat.” Sato—Hoshi, Jon corrected himself, and was surprised at how easy it was to think of her by her given name—sounded relieved that he was willing to help. After Jon called Soval, he went over the list of people in his mind, omitting the ones who definitely were not suited. That left only a handful of names, and he wasn’t sure about any of them. He said so to Hoshi, but assured her that Soval could find someone, if he couldn’t.

“Ah, Lieutenant Commander Tucker,” Soval said as he entered the Garden. His voice was dry, but Jon could hear the sliver of affection through it. “I had thought you were in Florida.”

Trip grinned and split his fingers in the Vulcan salute. “I was, but there was a—change of plans.”

“I see. And I assume this is your new commanding officer?” There was a note of interest in his voice.

Hoshi copied the Vulcan salute and said in Soval’s dialect, “I bring you greetings, Ambassador Soval. My name is Captain Hoshi Sato, commanding officer of the Enterprise. I seek your advice.”

“In what matter?” Soval asked in the same dialect.

She outlined the problem, and Jon saw the same thoughts flash across the Vulcan’s mind. He knew that Soval was compiling names and eliminating them as he had, and had come to the same conclusion. When Hoshi had finished speaking, he caught Soval’s grave expression.

“I am sure that as Jonathan has told you already, it will be difficult to find one who has the skill set that you expect and the desire to serve aboard a Starfleet vessel. Most of my peers are either away on missions or teaching, and it is the middle of the term.”

“We can find someone,” Jon argued. “We just have to look harder.”

Hoshi bit her lip as she thought. Her eyes went to Jon as if appraising him, but he was surprised that he didn’t feel threatened by her gaze. What is she thinking?

“What about you, Jonathan?”

Her words hit him like a sledgehammer. “Me? Begging your pardon, Captain, but I don’t think that’s a good idea—“

“Why not?” She looked up at him with an innocent expression. “You have the skills, you have the experience in space—“

“I don’t have any desire to join Starfleet. I do very well as a civilian.” Jon swallowed hard and glanced at Trip. “Besides, I’m not sure I can stand being on the same ship with Trip for five years straight.”

Trip pulled a face. “Geez, thanks. I love you too, Jon.”

Soval stepped in and Jon heard the underlying tension in his voice. Although Vulcans hid their emotions, they still had them, and Jon had worked with Soval long enough to know when something bothered him. “In any case, I have need of Jonathan’s services here, at the Embassy. I am sorry, Captain, but you must find an alternative solution.”

Hoshi nodded, the spark gone from her eyes. Jon immediately felt a surge of guilt; he wanted so much to help her, but to find a qualified person for a deep-space mission in less than forty-eight hours? Learning Andorian was easier than that. He had to admit that her proposal sounded intriguing. Perhaps...he shook his head. No, it was better that he stay put. Soval needed him here.

“...the names of those I feel may suit your parameters, Captain. I am sorry we could not be of any more assistance—“

“That’s all right, Ambassador. I appreciate any help you and Jonathan can give us. I hope that one of your colleagues will be the one we’re looking for.”

“As do I.” Soval nodded, indicating the meeting was over. He raised his hand again in the Vulcan salute. “Live long and prosper, Captain Sato. May your journey be successful.” As she and Trip returned the gesture, the corner of Soval’s mouth twitched imperceptibly. “And Captain, please attend to Lieutenant Commander Tucker’s welfare. His...misadventures have assumed legendary proportions at the Embassy and I wish to see him uninjured.”

Trip glared at Jon, who only gave him a shrug. “I had no idea you cared so much, Ambassador,” he deadpanned. “And might I ask who’s been tellin’ stories about me?”

Hoshi decided to exercise command prerogative. “Come on, Lieutenant Commander. We’re running out of time.” She nodded at both Soval and Jon, turned on her heel and left the garden. Trip rolled his eyes at Jon and mouthed, “This ain’t over yet.” Then he followed his commanding officer.

“I sympathize with her situation,” Soval said. He glanced sideways at Jon with an inscrutable expression. “I am hopeful she will find the person she is searching for.”

He was still staring after her long after she was gone. “Yes. So am I.”


Back to Part 1
Continue to Part 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.