Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Logic of Emotion"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Fourth in the Switcheroo Series. Here is the story of how Lieutenant Commander Trip Tucker met Ambassador Soval. Trip’s birthday isn’t explicitly stated in Enterprise canon, so I assumed it is the same as Connor Trinneer’s, which is March 19. (Info from Memory Alpha's website) Connor (and Trip) was 32 when the series premiered, so in this AU (which is in its “first season” and starts in 2155. Note the different starting date from the “real universe”) this Trip Tucker was born on March 19, 2123.

Trip tells T’Pol this story on his birthday, which is 5 weeks after the end of “May the Wind...” Accounting for the timespan of events of “May the Wind...”, it puts the launch date of Captain Sato’s Enterprise at about January 17, 2155. It also puts the year of Soval and Trip’s meeting in 2145, since at this point, they’d known each other for about a decade.

A picture of the IDIC symbol is located on the Memory Alpha (Star Trek Wikipedia) website. Just look up IDIC in the search feature.


One

19 March 2155

five weeks after “May the Wind be at Our Backs”

T’Pol blew out her meditation candles and began to roll up her mat. This was one part of her busy day she cherished; the quiet time for contemplation to calm the mind. “Still the mind, still the soul,” she murmured to herself. Healer T’Kuir had taught her that as a child; she considered it as true now as it was then.

The door chime interrupted her musing. “Enter,” she called.

The door slid open to reveal Lieutenant Jon Archer. He glanced at the still-smoking meditation candles and the mat. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt you, T’Pol. I can always come back later.”

“You are not interrupting, Jonathan. I had just finished.” She gestured him to a soft floor pillow. “May I get you something to drink? Saya juice, perhaps?”

He smiled and shook his head. “Actually, I just came by to drop a package off for you.”

She raised her eyebrow and repeated, “A package?”

“From Soval.” He pressed a palm-sized box into her hand. “He didn’t tell me what it was, but he said it would comfort you, should you need the comfort.”

She examined the plain wooden box, but the outside of it gave no indication of its contents. Her curiosity got the better of her and she slid the top of it open. Nestled inside was a copper circle with a tiny emerald stud in its northwest quadrant. A triangle bisected the larger circle, its point touching the emerald. The whole symbol was mounted on a disk of sea blue glass.

Her breath caught as she lifted the symbol out of the box. It was strung with a copper chain, with an emerald-colored clasp. The low lights sparkled on it and revealed colors hidden within it.

Kol-Ut-Shan,” she whispered. “I have never seen it represented in such manner before.”

Jon chuckled. “Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. IDIC. That has always been my favorite Vulcan concept, T’Pol. I think it explains the Universe.”

“Indeed.” She gazed at him. “Thank you, Jonathan. It is...stunning. I must send Soval my gratitude for such a gift.”

He nodded and got up from the pillow. “Tell him hello for me. I have to drop off another package, T’Pol, so I will see you tomorrow morning.”

Another package?” she asked before she could stop herself. “Also from Soval?”

He smiled. “Actually, yes. It’s a birthday present for Trip.”

Her gaze became confused. “A birthday present for...Lieutenant Commander Tucker?” she repeated. “From Soval?”

Jon gave her one of his ‘come on, he’s not that bad’ looks. “Remember, Soval knows Trip too. I introduced them to each other about ten years ago, when I first arrived at the Vulcan Consulate in San Francisco.”

“Ah.” She raised an eyebrow, this time in understanding. “So that is how the three of you first met. I recall Soval mentioning a young security man assigned to the Consulate...that must have been Lieutenant Commander Tucker.”

His grin widened. “Yes, and it’s quite a story. I’m sure he’d tell you all about it, if you asked him. Why don’t you tag along while I drop this off at Trip’s quarters?”

T’Pol opened her mouth to refuse, but she was genuinely...intrigued at the prospect of knowing the details of Trip and Soval’s first meeting. Soval was cool, logical and Vulcan. Trip was passionate, illogical and Human. How could the two become—and still remain—friends a decade later?

“Very well,” she said. “I will accompany you. I’m sure this is quite the story.”


Trip Tucker smiled at the young woman on the screen and shook his finger at her. “Now, young lady, I want to know every sordid detail. Who is he, what does he do, and does he have Mama and Dad’s approval? Does he treat ya right? ‘Cause if he doesn’t, I’m gonna hop the next transport home and beat the crap outta him.”

Elizabeth Tucker rolled her eyes. “For God’s sake, Trip, don’t pull that big brother act on me again. The answers, in order: his name is Jamie, he’s British, he’s a fellow architect, and Mama and Daddy have met him. Alexandra and Eddie have also met him and they like him. And Ian absolutely adores him; you know your nephew, Trip, he’s got an internal radar that rivals Mama’s when it comes to people.” She stuck out her tongue at him and finished, “So there.”

“He’s got Ian’s approval? Already? Wow!” Trip chuckled as she glowered at him. “Then he’s gotta be somethin’. Though I gotta wonder...what the hell is it with these Brits? I got one who keeps after me for a physical— “

Elizabeth’s grin was positively sadistic. “I bet she wants more than just a quick ‘physical’.”

He glared at her. “The doc is a he, Lizzie, and he’s as comfy with Vulcans as he is with Humans. And no, I don’t think of him ‘in that way’. I’d rather sleep with a Tellarite first.”

“Be careful what you wish for, brother mine. Aren’t you guys supposed to push back the borders of the known universe?” Trip sputtered and she laughed. Then her grin softened as she continued, “But hey, I called you to wish you a happy birthday, Trip, not talk about my love life, and definitely not about the prospect of shagging a Tellarite.”

“Listen to ya. You already sound like a Brit.”

Lizzie rolled her eyes. “I hope your Armory guys threw you a party. They didn’t give you a fireworks display, did they?”

“Nah, I think the cap’n would’ve had a fit if they did. And they didn’t tie me to a torpedo and threaten to shoot me off the ship. In fact, they—“A chime interrupted him. “Enter! Anyway, they decided to keep it quiet-like and—“ His grin widened as he saw his visitors. “Jon! T’Pol! Hey, Lizzie, Jon decided to show up!”

Jon Archer smiled at the blonde-haired woman on the screen. “Hi there, Lizzie.”

“Hello, Jon. Keeping Trip out of trouble?”

“Trying my hardest, but you know him—“Jon left the sentence hanging and Trip mock-glared at him. “Don’t let me interrupt, Lizzie.”

“Don’t worry about it, Jon.” Her eyes drifted over to the Vulcan woman. “You must be Ensign T’Pol. My brother has talked a lot about you.”

She raised an eyebrow at her easy familiarity. “And he has talked a lot about you. It is a pleasure to meet you, Elizabeth.”

“Call me Lizzie. Everyone else does.” She frowned at something, then glanced back up. “Well, I’ve just about reached my calling limit here. I’ll tell Mama and Daddy you’re doing okay, Trip. Take care of yourself, okay?”

His eyes softened. “You too. Love ya, baby sister.”

“Love ya too, Big Brother.” Lizzie smiled and her image winked out.

Trip sighed and ran a hand through his short blond hair. “Yeah, that was my younger sister,” he answered T’Pol’s unspoken question. “I got an older sister, a younger brother and Lizzie. I’m the eldest son and the second kid.”

T’Pol nodded. “She seems rather pleasant, Lieutenant Commander.” At his glower, she amended, “Trip.”

“Lizzie’s the type that gets along with most people,” Trip said. He glanced at Jon. “You two missed a hell of a party in the Armory.”

“Sorry, Trip, but I had some things that came up,” Jon apologized, “and I was hoping to make it up to you with a bottle of good Kentucky bourbon and a present from Soval.”

He blinked. “A present from Soval? Don’t you dare.” He accepted the flat box from Jon and opened it. A twin of T’Pol’s present lay there nestled in velvet, but instead of an emerald, the smaller sphere was of a more bluish stone. “Wow. This is pretty, but Soval knows I’m not really big on jewelry...”

“It is a symbol from Vulcan philosophy,” T’Pol said. “The English translation is ‘Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations’, or IDIC for short.”

Trip grinned and said, “Yeah, that sounds like something Soval would believe in. Well, I should send him a thank-you note in the mornin’.” He deftly unhooked the chain and slipped it over his head, then hooked it again. “Noticed you got one too. It suits ya. Interestin’ he’d send one of these IDIC things to both of us...”

“I am curious as to how you know Soval,” T’Pol said. “You have said it is—“

“—a long story. Yeah, I did, didn’t I.” He chuckled. “Well, you might as well pull up a chair, ‘cause it is. Break out the bottle of bourbon, Jon, and I’ll get scrounge up some tea for T’Pol. Can’t say I’m amiss in my hostin’ duties—“

T’Pol sat comfortably on one of the padded chairs as Jon and Trip busied themselves with the drinks. She hid a smile as she thought, Yes, I expect it to be an interesting tale indeed.


Continue to Part 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.