Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Logic of Emotion"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Fourth in the Switcheroo Series. Here is the story of how Lieutenant Commander Trip Tucker met Ambassador Soval.

How is Trip going to get himself out of the mess he’s in? He's setting the stage up for some action, but where is he going to get help?

Thanks for reading, but please leave a review:) I’d like to know what you all think of this story. Like the others in the Switcheroo Series, this helps set some of the groundwork for the rest of the series.


Eleven

Jon Archer choked on his bourbon, T’Pol’s eyes widened a fraction, Malcolm and Travis stared at Trip with a dumbstruck expression, Hoshi’s pretty features darkened like a thundercloud, and Phlox only gave him a look of interest.

“Wait a minute,” Jon wheezed and coughed as he put his glass down on Trip’s desk with a deliberate movement. “You were the one who—“

“Yeah, that was me. Not exactly proud of myself, Jon, but I had to save ya and Soval,” Trip admitted with a sheepish smile. “It was the lesser of two evils, ya understand.”

T’Pol’s tone was frosty, but not because of anger. “Are you endangering yourself by telling us this tale, Lieutenant Commander?”

Trip winced at the use of his rank, but replied, “No. Everyone who might’ve known...isn’t around anymore. With a couple of exceptions, and both of them kept their mouth shut.” He glanced at Hoshi. “Don’t look at me like that, Hoshi. I didn’t have anythin’ to do with that, either. And Matt’s innocent in that too.”

Hoshi looked ready to snap Trip’s neck, since Matt Hayes wasn’t available at the moment. “Matt never told me about this. Classified?”

“Very much so,” Trip replied. He wondered why Malcolm, sitting next to Hoshi, was so tense. Trip hoped the doctor wouldn’t snap like a rubber band. “I don’t suggest you bring it up to Matt the next time you see him. It’s not exactly something he’s proud of. The mysterious ‘Jeremiah’ has been officially dead for ten years. In fact, when I met Commander Hayes, I didn’t make the connection at first, because Matt was the exact opposite of the Jeremiah I knew. In fact, I was convinced that Matt had an evil twin brother or something.”

“Quite the actor, then,” Malcolm said, his voice quiet.

Trip raised an eyebrow, then said, “Doc, don’t be so quick to judge. You weren’t there.”

“And this man is the captain of Starfleet’s second Warp 5 ship?”

Travis looked ready to jump to Hayes’s defense, but Hoshi interrupted, “That’s enough, Malcolm. Whatever Matt—and Trip—have done in the past stays in the past.”

Malcolm nodded, but grudgingly. Jon cleared his throat and asked, “Trip, I can understand why you kept quiet, but how did you—“

Trip grinned and tapped his temple. “I had help.”


Vulcan Consulate, San Francisco, March 18, 2145

Trip and Lee returned to the Consulate in time for lunch. The whole fifteen-minute walk from the bar felt like a surreal dream to Trip. Lee took one look at his face when he emerged from the basement, ordered a stiff drink, and made him drink it. Considering Trip didn’t feel drunk was a sure sign of how distracted he was.

He shook his head and thought, I sure as hell can’t afford to be distracted now, of all times.

The guard at the door was Third Officer Somek, the young Vulcan man who’d greeted trip on his initial arrival at the Consulate. Somek gave both Trip and Lee a cordial bow. “Ensign, Corporal, welcome back.”

“Thank you, Third Officer Somek,” Trip replied. “Is Diplomat Archer around?”

Somek raised an eyebrow at the colloquialism, but only answered, “Diplomat Archer is ‘around’, but he is currently in an emergency meeting with Ambassador Soval. Shall I inform him that you have returned, Ensign?”

“No, that’s all right. I’ll stop by his office later. Thanks.”

Trip went straight to his office, Lee right behind him. He gestured for Lee to close the door after them and whispered hoarsely, “Bugs?”

Lee understood the question and raised a finger to his lips. Quietly, he crossed to the com system built into the wall, undid the latch and fiddled with the circuits inside. After a few moments, he nodded and replaced the panel. “No one can overhear us now, Trip.”

“Good.” He didn’t bother to tell Lee about the spy device in his own ear. He guessed that Jon, Soval and Ramirez had overheard his meeting with Jeremiah and Paxton, and that was the cause of the ‘emergency meeting’.

“Did Paxton offer you the big job?”

Trip nodded slowly. “Yeah.”

“You gonna do it? It’s gonna be impossible to hide anything from these Vulcans.”

“That’s why I don’t plan on sittin’ on this for very long, Lee.” He bit his lip and thought hard. “I’m gonna have to ask you for some help. I haven’t been here that long and I’m still unfamiliar with some of the security systems around here.”

A smile played on the corporal’s lips. “I know of some people who could help, Trip. Once they hear you’re on our side, they’ll be willing to give you anything you need.”

Trip remembered Nate Kemper’s remark about how many of the Security contingent were clearly on the “pro-Human” side and his stomach clenched in dread. “Can any of them get around the systems connected with Archer’s and Soval’s offices?”

“With their eyes closed and their hands tied behind their backs,” Lee bragged with a smirk. “We’ve got a munitions guy with us too, if you decide to go that route.”

“Depends if we want a lot of collateral damage or not,” Trip said, trying to keep his voice casual. “It’d make a statement, but we’d still have to clean up the mess.”

Lee raised his eyebrows. “I thought Paxton wanted a big statement.”

“He’s not a security officer. Big statement equals early detection and an early grave,” Trip snapped. “Major T’Lydya would be on our asses as quick as a Hyberian saberfish. Now a stealth attack—“ Trip lifted a finger to forestall Lee’s protest, “—especially one that can’t be traced, that’ll strike fear in the hearts of everyone, including the Vulcans. Suddenly, they’ll realize that even they aren’t safe in their own inner sanctum.”

Aw, geez, I sound like every bad movie villain there ever was! Trip thought with an inner wince. Lex Luthor, eat your heart out. I sure as hell don’t feel as heroic as Superman. Hell, Supe would be on my ass too.

Lee didn’t seem to notice; he only nodded at Trip’s reasoning. “Good point. So what are you thinking?”

“Got any ninja training?” Trip half-joked.

“Nope, but I can find someone who probably does.”

He stared at Lee’s innocent look. “And you’re only a corporal?”

“This time out, anyway. I’m a lot more experienced than I look.” This wasn’t a brag, Trip realized, but a simple statement of fact. “So...we’re talking what? Poison? Needles?"

Trip stared at him. "This time out? What are you, really?"

Lee sighed and shook his head. "Technically, I outrank you, Ensign, and it's only because I like you that I'm letting you run the show. Jeremiah and Paxton seem to have a lot of confidence in your ability to have given you this assignment with just one glance."

Trip realized his mouth was hanging open and he closed it firmly. "I hope you aren't envious, Lee, 'cause I plan to include you every step of the way."

"Envious, me?" The charming smile was back and Lee appeared as the young, naive corporal once more. "Nah. I'm more than willing to let you lead."

"Thanks a lot," Trip said mildly. "Anyways...you were talkin' about ways of...assassination?" The word left a bad taste in Trip's mouth. "Somethin' subtle."

"There’s a Vulcan maneuver called tal-shaya that’s pretty quick.” Lee demonstrated with his hands.

“I’m sure Soval’s trained in that kinda thing and I know for a fact that Vulcans are a lot stronger and faster than Humans. Dunno ‘bout you, but I like my neck where it is.” He unconsciously rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke.

Suddenly, unbidden, images came across his eyes. Images that Trip knew didn’t come from his experience. The Vulcan Security Ministry would suggest...He sent a wordless laugh back to Soval and felt the wicked chuckle that Soval would never allow to be heard by anyone else.

Then he grinned as if something had just occurred to him. Lee gave him a wary look and asked, "Uh-oh. What is it?"

“I've got an idea, Lee. We might have to use your demolitions guy after all, and I think I have a way to get some extra help.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. I need Jeremiah.”

"Jeremiah isn't cleared to step foot on the Consulate grounds, not with his background of trouble."

Trip's grin widened and Lee actually took a step back at the coldness of it. "Don't worry. I know Diplomat Archer'll help with that, even if he won't be aware he is helping."


He sent Lee to gather the personnel and equipment they’d need for their “hit”. Then he dropped by Jon’s office as usual. Trip had to act as if everything was normal, or his cover was blown.

“Hi there, Trip,” Jon greeted. He smiled, but the worry still shone in his eyes. Archer had to act as if he knew nothing of the attempt on his life. “So, did you get in touch with Jeremiah?”

“Sure did.” Trip handed him a PADD. “Look, I was thinkin’ about invitin’ him over to meet you and Soval. He could be a valuable contact, but he needs some protection. He’s between a rock and a hard place where he is...and it ain’t safe.”

Jon nodded and glanced at the information on the PADD. “His life's in danger?"

"Yeah, you could say that."

"Then he needs a clearance tag. Get it through Major T’Lydya; tell her I authorized it. Are we set for the meeting with Admiral McGee tonight?”.

“Yeah. I got the proposed Security assignments right there on the PADD you’re holdin’. That is, till it meets your approval and Captain Ramirez’s and Major T’Lydya’s.”

Jon nodded again as he scrolled down the screen. “Got some of the best in your squad covering me and Soval...”

Trip grinned and hoped it looked genuine. “No offense to Admiral McGee, but I gotta do my job, y’know. That’s protecting you, especially after you saved my butt the last time. So it’s my turn to save you again.”

Jon’s eyes were suddenly sober. “I trust you will, if the opportunity comes up.”

“Don’t have to worry about that.” Trip accepted the PADD back and tucked it under his arm. “I’ll be back a little later when I got everythin’ all set up.”

“All right, Trip.” The diplomat held him with his gaze. “Like I said, I trust you.”

Trip only smiled and left the room.


Back to Part 10
Continue to Part 12

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.