Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Logic of Emotion"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Fourth in the Switcheroo Series. Here is the story of how Lieutenant Commander Trip Tucker met Ambassador Soval.

Who’s the mystery guy? You find out who it is...and it isn’t who you might have expected. More clues to a possible threat to Human/Vulcan diplomatic relations, and other familiar names pop up in unfamiliar places.

For those unfamiliar with distances in CA: the University of Southern California at Berkley is approximately 5-6 hours south (-ish) of San Francisco. Stanford University (Jon Archer’s alma mater) is approximately an hour east of S.F. And the exact distance between S.F. and USC? Had to Google it. I’m not a Vulcan, so I don’t remember that kinda stuff. LOL.

Thanks for catching those goofs, Pesterfield. I corrected those. :)


Nine

Trip paused in his story to take a long gulp of his bourbon. He’d deliberately left out the vision of Soval’s marriage ceremony, his “pon farr”, for the sake of Vulcan privacy; he’d only glossed over it, going into detail about his memory on the boat. The only two who would know the truth were Jon and T’Pol. Jon wouldn’t breathe a word of it, and T’Pol respected his and Soval’s privacy.

“Fascinating,” Phlox murmured. “So the ambassador experienced your memory from your point of view? Every sensation, every reaction?”

“That was what he said.” Trip shook his head and added, “It seemed that we were mentally linked at the time, and my fall into the water had triggered the memory for him. In return, his Vulcan senses alerted me and Nate Kemper to our so-called ‘friend’.”

“Who was the guy who tried to kill you?” Travis asked. “And why?”

Trip took another sip and swallowed. “That’s the weird part.”


Vulcan Consulate, San Francisco, March 18, 2145

Trip surveyed the man attached to the biomonitor with a cold, dispassionate eye. The suspect was of medium height, with snow-white hair stuck up in the air, and blue eyes sparkling with a hint of madness. He didn’t seem bothered at the fact that his arms and legs were in restraints, or at the Vulcan Healers who hovered nearby. In fact, his soft voice was one of extreme politeness, but the detachment in it made Trip shiver.

“He is a rather unusual man,” Major T’Lydya commented as she stood next to Trip.

“No kiddin’,” he agreed. “Do we have a name for him?”

“According to the Earth database, his name is Doctor Arik Soong,” T’Lydya answered in a cool professional tone. “He is currently the chair of biomedicine and genetics at the University of Southern California at Berkley. His work in those particular fields have earned him many accolades and awards, and the respect of his peers.” T’Lydya raised an eyebrow. “Up until this incident, Doctor Soong has never been in violation of the law. In fact, he was considered a model citizen.”

“I take it he never played football for USC. He’d make a great defensive lineman,” Trip muttered under his breath. She chose not to respond to his comment. “He doesn’t appear to have any remorse for his attack.”

T’Lydya sighed silently, then said, “That is because he does not seem to have any recollection of his attempt.”

“No memory of it? Not a trace?” The possibility left a bad taste in Trip’s mouth. “Meaning someone deliberately erased it? Or gave him a neural block?”

“The Healers have considered both options, Ensign. They are evaluating the scans of the doctor’s brain as we speak.”

“Can we talk to him?”

She nodded. “He has been asking for you in particular, Ensign. I believe he wishes to apologize.”

T’Lydya followed him as he stepped into the room. Doctor Soong looked up and his expression brightened at his visitors. “Ensign Tucker? I am sorry for what happened last night. I would try to explain myself and my actions, if I could remember.”

“The Healers told me you had difficulty,” Trip said carefully. “Tell me, Doctor—“

“Arik, please.” The scientist’s eyes sobered. “I doubt I’ll be allowed to retain my title and position once news of this gets out.”

“Arik, what do you remember?”

Soong bit his lip, then answered, “I was on campus, walking home from a roundtable discussion with my colleagues and my students. I was waiting for the next transport at the station, I remember getting onto the transport...and the next thing I know, I’m at the Marina and I’m running towards you and I feel a sting in my back. It all went dark...I know I hit water—“

“Whoever erased your memory did so between Berkley and San Francisco,” assumed T’Lydya. “That is approximately three-hundred and eighty six point eight miles or six hundred and twenty two point four nine kilometers.”

Trip scowled at T’Lydya’s overly precise calculations. “That’s a lot of distance between ‘em, about three hours by fast shuttle. Plenty of time for whoever did it.”

Soong nodded. “I’ve racked my brain, trying to remember, but it’s all a blank.”

“Did you feel a needle prick? Did you feel any strange symptoms before gettin’ on the transport?”

Soong shook his head. “I don’t remember, if I did or not.”

“Whoever assaulted you knew you would be on the transport at that particular time. Who was at this roundtable discussion?” asked T’Lydya.

“There were nine people, excluding myself. I can give you a list of who attended. Two of them were a brother-sister team, Doctors Quinn and Danica Erickson.”

Trip’s eyes widened. “The Ericksons? Didn’t they work with their father on the first matter transporter?”

“Yes, Danica worked on the molecular converter for the pattern buffer, while Quinn helped the Vulcans sort out the filters for biotransport. Very crucial to putting your atoms back together in the right places,” Soong replied, with the pride of a grandfather. “Brilliant duo; Emory was very proud of them. I was their sponsor for their doctorate programs.”

“Doctor Erickson—Quinn, I mean—he worked with the Vulcans?”

“Indeed. Quinn has a completely rational, logical mind. If it weren’t for the ears, I would’ve thought he was Vulcan himself.” Soong chuckled at the thought. “He speaks the language with all its nuances. I believe he had teamed up with a colleague to present a paper on the Vulcan physiology...a Doctor Malcolm Reed, I believe.”

“Doctor Reed?” Trip repeated, as T’Lydya’s eyebrows shot up.

“Do you know him, Ensign? Quite the researcher, I’d say—“

Trip smiled. “I know of him, but I’ve never met the guy. So Quinn Erickson worked closely with the Vulcans. What about Danica Erickson?”

Soon sighed and answered, “I suppose Danica was jealous of the time he spent with the Vulcans. She didn’t enjoy their company, not one bit. Then again, she’s always been highly emotional. Very Human, Danica is. I think the final straw was when Quinn was considering a Vulcan wife. He ended up not doing it, of course, but that damaged his relationship with his sister. It’s only recently they’ve mended fences. In fact, it was Danica’s idea to attend the roundtable with her brother.”

Trip caught T’Lydya’s expression of unease. “Did anyone else share Danica’s views of the Vulcans?”

“A few, but they weren’t quite as vocal. It was just a matter of personal preference, Ensign. Some people on Earth still believe they’re the center of the universe.” Soong shrugged. “Though I know Danica like my own daughter. I don’t think she’d ever cross the line between words and action. Emory instilled a strong sense of ethics in both his children. I think Danica would be horrified at the thought of harming anyone, Human, Vulcan or otherwise.”

Trip nodded. The scientist was chatty and not ashamed to provide information, even if it was somewhat personal...and even if the subjects weren’t present. That really bothered him; it made him wonder just what Soong would disclose if the price was right. T’Lydya looked rather uncomfortable, and Trip hated to put her through this, but he needed more information.

For Danica Erickson’s name was on the list Captain Harris had given him.

“Tell me about the other people who were at this discussion, Arik. It could be that one of them might know something about what happened to you...and we’d need to talk to ‘em fast.”


Later, that morning, Trip requested an urgent meeting with Soval, Jon, Carlos Ramirez and Major T’Lydya. Soval had anticipated his request, and had set aside a conference room for that purpose. There were advantages to being mind-linked, Trip considered ruefully.

He and T’Lydya took turns in their report, making sure not to forget any piece of information. Soval sat next to Trip, his hands pressed together and fingers steepled, with a grave expression on his face. Jon looked impassive, but his eyes were hard emeralds. Ramirez shifted in his seat; his broad features reflecting turmoil.

“If Doctor Soong is telling the truth, then we are dealing with more than just a group of disgruntled individuals,” Soval said quietly. “It appears that there is a well-organized and efficient organization.”

Jon nodded and said, “This contact you met—Jeremiah? Can you get in contact with him again, Trip?”

He shrugged. “I think so. Corporal Lee Doumaides knows him and Lee would know where he is. He hinted that he had background information about this group and he was willing to share it.”

“Talk to him. See what he has to say. Carlos, I want you to cover him,” Jon said.

“What about Nate Kemper?” Trip asked.

“I have another assignment for him,” Jon replied. “I’m sending him and a team as an escort for Doctor Soong back to USC Berkley. Corporal McVegran and Crewman Niemas are familiar with the campus, and they’ll be able to talk to some of their old friends there.” He smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes. “I’ve got connections at my alma mater; I’ll chat with the Stanford chancellor and see how widespread this movement is.”

“And Major T’Lydya and I will warn other Vulcans and outworlders on the Consulate grounds,” Soval said, “I will also talk with High Minister V’Lar about this matter as well. This is too important to hide from her; it could potentially damage Vulcan/Human relations.”

Jon nodded. “Agreed. Nothing we’ve discussed goes out of this room, understood?”

Everyone agreed, then the meeting dispersed. Captain Ramirez caught up with Trip in the outer hall. “I’ll call Doumaides—“

“Beggin’ yer pardon, sir, but I think I should do it.” At Ramirez’s expression, Trip clarified, “He’d get suspicious if his commanding officer asked him about this. He was the one who steered me to Jeremiah in the first place.”

Ramirez nodded. “All right, we’ll do it your way, but I’m monitoring you every step of the way.”

Trip nodded back, grateful for Ramirez’s confidence in him. He only hoped that faith was justified.


Back to Part 8


Continue to Part 10

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.