Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Needs of the Many"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG13
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, TnT
Disclaimer: All right, I know that in the “real universe”, the only ones who have tractor beams in the 22nd century (that we’ve seen) are the Vulcans (ENT “Breaking the Ice”) and Enterprise has that grappling hook. Anyone who knows me knows that I wince every time I see them use the thing. C’mon...I don’t care how accurate Travis or Malcolm’s aim is, that harpoon isn’t worth squat, in my opinion. Thus, in the Switcheroo AU, I take care of the question of “Why does everyone but us have tractor beams and shields??”

Technical information on tractors beams is on Memory Alpha.

This is the last chapter of this story, and you see Colonel Hayes in a conversation with Hoshi. Porthos makes a special appearance, and you also catch a glimpse of an old “friend” on Earth.

Please R&R! I’d really like to hear my readers’ opinions about the storylines. I know things are getting more complicated, but they’ll be resolved, I promise.


Thirteen

:The atmosphere in Engineering was one of renewed excitement, despite all that had happened in the last week. Phlox and the others pored over the specs for the Vulcan’s tractor beam. Not to be undone, the Andorians had also contributed their research in EM fields, much to Lieutenant Bryan Trace’s delight. Even Trip Tucker stopped by Engineering to peruse the information. T’Pol was both amused and concerned by the Humans’ reaction to the unexpected gifts.

“Graviton fields,” Trace said with a shake of his head. “I’ve heard of ‘em—“

Trip nodded, but it had a distracted air to it. “Okay, the main tractor beam emitter is on the T’Leya’s aft ventral hull, but there are other emitters that can be installed on the other ships to assist in the towing—“

Phlox pointed at a schematic of Columbia. “Admiral Kuruht proposes that his T’Leya assume the point position, here, in order to use their main emitter. Enterprise will be here, on Columbia’s starboard side, while Devonshire on her port, and Hanrii will take up the rear. Gandhi and Richmond will form part of the honor guard, along with the Vulcan Second Fleet and the Andorian First Squadron.”

Kelby frowned and asked, “You mean the Andorians and the Vulcans are actually cooperating in this effort after what happened on Paan Mokar?”

T’Pol raised an eyebrow and said, “It has been pointed out that cooperation would be in the best interests of all involved, Lieutenant.” Everyone heard the flat, emotionless tone and prudently said nothing about it, although Trip gave her a knowing look. She felt a small sense of satisfaction as she remembered her conversation with Admiral Kuruht and High Minister T’Pau only an hour before.

Admiral Kuruht’s willingness to assist the Humans had both surprised and gladdened her. The new High Minister felt as if they had been “overly liberal” in their eagerness to help and both of them tried to convince T’Pau of their case.

T’Pau had narrowed her eyes at them and demanded, “Does the possibility of possible security concerns bother you, Phlox? Minister T’Pau is worried that the Andorians and others might use our own technology against us.”

Kuruht only raised an eyebrow in response. “The cause is sufficient, T’Pau. We have a responsibility to our allies, and they to us. Do not seek to isolate Vulcan from the rest of the universe because we cannot afford to do so.”

“So you propose that we just hand over our technology to those who are interested in it?”

“Of course not. Certain technology cannot be hidden for long, if a culture has resourceful and intelligent engineers and designers. Whether we like it or not, the Humans will discover—and possibly even improve—on the practical applications.” The admiral’s dry tone brought a quizzical look from T’Pol and a nonplussed one from T’Pau.. “I would not underestimate their resourcefulness...or their desperation.”

If T’Pol were Human, she might have cheered, but T’Pau only replied, “We shall discuss this matter in more detail another time, Kuruht. I still would advise prudence in your dealings, for we cannot afford another betrayal of trust.”

She stifled a burst of disappointment, for she had thought her friend and mentor would have been more open-minded by now. After all, T’Pau and V’Lar had worked closely with each other for decades. But T’Pol was practical enough to understand T’Pau’s ambivalence. Tradition is hard to change in a mere blink of an eye. It would be prudent for me to remember that as well.

Lieutenant Richard Kelby called over his shoulder, “Commander, I think we’re ready to try it. Devonshire signals green. All connections are stable so far, but I don’t know how long they’ll stay that way.”

“Very well, Lieutenant.”

T’Pol nodded and said, “I will be on the Bridge, Commander, at the helm.”

“Good luck, Ensign.”

T’Pol walked quickly out of Engineering, with Trip and Lieutenant Hess in tow. None of the three spoke much as they rode the lift to the Bridge, but T’Pol felt a surge of excitement, concern and relief from Trip. Excitement for the new technology, concern for its use, and relief that they were doing something to help Columbia. She still felt the pangs of guilt and grief, but they weren’t as sharp. Having a new focus helped him deal with Matthew Hayes’s death.

Trip gave her a slight smile as if he read her mind. She felt a tug on her own lips, but she controlled it so Hess didn’t see it. It will be successful, thy’la, she mentally reassured him. We will make it so.

The Bridge was controlled chaos when they arrived. The same sense of charged excitement was in the air, but the crew went about their duties as if Enterprise towed other ships on a regular basis. With a final grin, Trip assumed his place at Tactical while Hess went to the engineering station. T’Pol glanced at Captain Sato on her way to the helm. Hoshi appeared calm and business-like in the center seat, with no trace of grief or hesitation. Then again, T’Pol guessed that Hoshi was concentrating on the matter at hand to keep the overwhelming emotions at bay.

Ensign Rheinstein glanced over his shoulder. “Columbia confirms complete engine shutdown. T’Laya reports tractor beam emitter activation in one minute...mark.”

Hoshi nodded and answered, “Confirm our own readiness, Ensign, and coordinate activation with Devonshire and Hanrii.” She punched the com button to Engineering. “Phlox?”

“We are ready here, Captain,” came Phlox’s voice. “Tractor beam emitter for Columbia’s starboard side is on stand by.”

Rheinstein spoke again. “Devonshire and Hanrii confirm positions and readiness, Captain. Gandhi, Richmond, and the rest of the escort report ready. Admiral Kuruht on the line.”

Hoshi nodded, then Kuruht’s bass voice said, “Enterprise, warp point five in twenty-five seconds. Match our exact velocity.”

“Acknowledged, Admiral. Ensign T’Pol?”

“Course and speed set, Captain.” This was the critical point, for all ships had to exactly match each other’s speeds or the shearing forces would tear Columbia—and the other ships—apart.

“Warp point five, now,” Hoshi ordered.

Paan Mokar shrank to a single point on the viewscreen as the group of ships jumped into warp. T’Pol announced, “Warp point three, point four, holding at warp point five.”

“Tractor beams are functioning within parameters,” Hess said from the engineering station. “It’s working like a charm, Captain.”

Hoshi let out a slow sigh as Rheinstein reported, “Commander Daniels reports Columbia’s structural integrity within tolerable limits. He’s willing to bump it up to warp one.”

Hoshi glanced at her comm speaker. “Phlox?”

“Just say the word, Captain.”

“Signal T’Leya and prepare for warp one.”

Slowly but surely, Enterprise and the others increased their speed to warp one, then one point five, then warp two. Eventually, they were able to reach a comfortable warp four, and at that speed, Earth was three days away. With no other crises looming on the horizon, Phlox, T’Pol, Trip and the engineering teams spent the time analyzing and tweaking the tractor beam specs for use on Enterprise.


Hoshi sighed and glanced at Porthos, who slept curled by her side. She took care of the beagle in Jon Archer’s absence; she had never had a pet, but now she appreciated how Porthos kept her company. The little dog helped keep the loneliness at bay, though she still felt like she was on the razor’s edge of a nervous breakdown.

Her PADD’s screen showed the latest media headlines from Earth. She hadn’t wanted to look at them, but she needed to be prepared for the swell of emotion and controversy when they arrived. Of course, the politicians and the pundits had a field day, analyzing and criticizing both Hayes’s actions on Andorian and Paan Mokar, and Hoshi’s on Vulcan. Yet the tragic events seemed to unite Terra’s inhabitants in a way that Hoshi didn’t expect, and in a way that sent cold shivers down her spine. People were beginning to listen to Terra Prime’s call for isolation, and even the Earth Council was considering measures to censure the Vulcans and the Andorians.

“This is a nightmare,” she muttered under her breath. The comm whistle interrupted her morbid thoughts. “Sato here.”

“Captain, you have a private call from Earth. Colonel Amanda Hayes.”

Hoshi took a deep breath; she’d already informed Matt’s mother, and with typical Hayes stoicism, Amanda had thanked her for the call and cut the connection. Her mother-in-law had lost her only son and Hoshi wished she was there to comfort her.

“Put her through, Ensign Rheinstein.” She moved to her computer and activated the screen. The image of Amanda Hayes came into focus. The MACO colonel was out of uniform and wore a simple blue robe that highlighted her eyes. Hoshi’s throat tightened at the rigid control in her mother-in-law’s face.

“Hoshi,” Amanda said with a sad smile. “How are you holding up?”

She took a deep breath. “I’m surviving. We’re bringing him home, Amanda.”

“Thank you.” A flash of pain crossed her face, but she visibly suppressed it. “Hoshi, the Earth Council asked me and Admiral Forrest to speak in front of them concerning our relations with the Vulcans and the Andorians. I just got back from that closed session.”

Hoshi stared at her. “What? They...I can’t believe how heartless they—“

Amanda raised a hand and stopped her sputtering. “Actually, Max and I gave them an earful. We both are of the opinion that kicking every non-Human off Earth is a bad idea. Not only is it a diplomatic issue, it’s a security issue as well. I told those idiotic cowards that we’d be foolish to assume that hiding will automatically ensure our safety.” She snorted and dropped her hand. “They weren’t exactly thrilled to hear it like that, but someone needed to make them see straight.”

She sounded so much like Matt that Hoshi felt another pang of grief. “I hope they actually listened to you and Max.”

“I think more than a few members share the same opinion; it’s Gardner and his civilian cronies who have their heads stuck in the sand.” Amanda’s eyes flashed in anger. “Do you know what Gardner had the nerve to say to me? He said that he was concerned about my mental stability since Matt had been killed by Vulcan defenses while on a mission with the Andorians, and perhaps I’d do well to take some time off. I think Max wanted to hit him over the head with a lead-covered two-by-four. I know I did.”

“Gardner’s an idiot,” Hoshi muttered.

“Well, anyway,” she said, with a dismissive gesture, “I think we managed to talk sense into some of the Council, but a good number of them agree with the nonsense that Terra Prime’s spouting on the airwaves. I wanted to give you plenty of warning, Hoshi, before you arrived.”

She nodded. “Thanks, Amanda.”

“One other thing–“ Amanda’s voice caught, but she forced herself to continue, “I wanted to send you some information...about the memorial service. Max exercised command prerogative and told Gardner where to stick his ‘hero’s funeral’, and I agreed. We had to do some maneuvering, but I wanted to let you know.”

Hoshi managed a smile. “I bet Gardner was a sourpuss. He’s not used to losing.”

“He’d better get used to it.” Amanda swallowed hard and blinked rapidly. “You should be getting a packet in a few hours. I’ll see you in four days.”

“All right.” Hoshi sighed and pressed her hand to the screen. “Take care, Amanda. We’ll be there soon.”

“Hayes, out.” Amanda’s face vanished. Hoshi knew that Matt’s mother was about to break down, and even now, she didn’t want a witness, even if it was her own daughter-in-law. Hoshi sat there for a long time, staring at the blank screen.

Then a soft whine broke into her thoughts. She glanced down and saw Porthos; the dog stretched out and put his two front paws on her leg. Gently, she picked him up and held him close, feeling his nose on her cheek. Despite her sadness, the beagle’s attempts at comfort brought a slight smile to her lips.


Earth, 7 July 2155

Laralee Taylor frowned as she stuck her head into her boss’s office. He kept odd hours, but this was the seventh or eighth night in a row that he’d been here past midnight. She was beginning to become concerned for him. If the insomnia was getting worse, then he should see the doctor again. After all, it wasn’t humanly possible to get by on only two or three hours of sleep a week.

“Sir? Mister Paxton?” She tiptoed closer to the desk, only to see Paxton had fallen asleep in his recliner with a datapad in his hand. His computer screen glowed faintly in the darkness. Laralee chuckled softly and reached for the handmade afghan on the couch. She draped it over Paxton, tucking the corners securely, then she switched off the screen. Finally, she plucked the pad out of his hand. The heading of the article was in bold black letters:

Controversial Starship Captain Killed in Action, Declared a Hero by Starfleet Command and Earth Council

Laralee shook her head as she scanned the article. “Poor guy,” she murmured. “I guess his luck ran out.” She’d heard of Captain Hayes; after all, his wedding a scant two months before had made the headlines of the Earth News Network. She shook her head again as she thought of the widow Hayes had left behind.

With a flick of her wrist, she deactivated the pad and placed it on the desk. Then she turned and glanced at Paxton’s face. “Pleasant dreams, Mister Paxton,” she whispered, before leaving the office.

Paxton’s eyelids twitched in sleep and his mouth twisted into a grim smile.


Back to Part 12

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.