Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Needs of the Many"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG13
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, TnT
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Sorry about the delay in updating this. I’ve having some problems with my third pregnancy and I’ve been taking it easier. Still doesn’t mean that my Muse has decided to close up shop, though! LOL

This is a critical chapter. Vulcan political maneuvering galore, plus you see a character from a previous Switcheroo story. And yeah, what’s up with this “Pa’nar” thing? You get a clue to Malcolm’s and T’Pol’s strange ESP, and what the heck is going on between T’Pol and Trip?!

Please R&R. I’d love to hear some feedback. Thanks.

Thanks, Pesterfield! :) You rock!


Two

“So, they are finally on their way back to Vulcan?”

“Yes, Milady V’Lar. Admiral Forrest has recalled Enterprise from the Earth Colonies. Columbia is enroute to Andoria.”

“Good.” V’Lar, High Minister of Vulcan, stared out into the reddish-golden sunset over Shi’Kahr. Her eyes were focused on the horizon, where Vulcan’s sister planet T’Kuht made its appearance. Although V’Lar considered herself a rational and logical Vulcan, the sight of T’Kuht made her shiver with foreboding. So many changes to come, so many mistakes to correct, and so many triumphs to be had.

She glanced over her shoulder at Soultek. The top aide to the Vulcan High Command maintained a respectful distance, but V’Lar saw the glitter within his eyes. V’Lar didn’t care for him, and cared for his son Koss even less, but she needed his connections within the VHC. Soultek fancied himself a patriot, but V’Lar saw behind the so-called loyalty and found ambition.

“V’Lar, there are rumors of an Andorian fleet massing near Paan Mokar, Minister T’Pau herself is investigating those claims.” Soultek’s tone was cool and respectful. “I find it an interesting turn of events that Columbia is going to Andoria.”

“Indeed.”

Soultek ventured forward a few steps. “And what will be our response, should T’Pau confirm the rumors? What will we do to protect ourselves?”

“T’Pau and I have discussed many options, Soultek, with both the High Council and the Vulcan High Command. We have many contingency plans in place; I am surprised that Minister Shomek has not seen fit to inform you of those, considering how highly he places his trust in you.”

Soultek flinched. Minister Shomek was the head of the VHC and Soultek’s superior; V’Lar’s words were a reminder of his place in the hierarchy of her government. The High Minister felt a thrill of self-satisfaction at his discomfort, but she quickly suppressed it. It was becoming difficult to ignore her emotions as the days went by, but she had confidence in Doctor T’Vau...and Doctor Malcolm Reed.

“I have been rather occupied of late. My son has had...difficulties of his own.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Difficulties? Is he ill?”

If Soultek were human, he would have shrugged. “He seems functional enough, but my wife has noticed certain behaviors from him that are quite illogical. He spends more time in meditation and has sought the advice of Priestess T’Lys of Mount Seleya.” He paused, then added, “We are all concerned for his welfare.”

V’Lar felt a cold shudder go through her, although it was still quite warm on the balcony. She had threatened to dissolve the bond between Koss and T’Pol, after Koss had revealed his disgusting thoughts regarding his betrothed. Now that T’Pol was finally coming home, was she too late in taking action against Koss? Was the simple reality of Vulcan biology forcing their hand?

I must consult with T’Lys again. This turn of events is simply not acceptable in my mind. No one had interfered with a couple’s Time of Mating, the pon farr, in millennia. Yes, there had been challenges issued and fought, but to overtly circumvent a bond that had been established—and held—since childhood was unthinkable. The logical joining of two powerful families was usually reason enough to permit the marriage. Emotions had no part in a matter at this level of importance.

Her mouth twitched wryly as something long forgotten stirred within her. Was it logical to subject her goddaughter to such shame and pain for all of Vulcan to see? Was it logical to allow Soultek and his kin to gain so much power, to Vulcan’s detriment? Was it logical to fuel Soultek’s hatred of the Andorians and possibly ignite an interstellar war?

If this was logic, then Surak was a traitor to his own kind. He would never have agreed to this sequence of events. And not only the Andorians, but the I’Rhiamanau and the V’tosh Ka’tur and others—the Terrans? The Tellarites as well?—wanted Vulcan to fall.

No, V’Lar was determined to prevent that at all costs.

“I am...concerned as well, Soultek,” she said honestly. “Perhaps the Priestesses of Mount Seleya will be able to assist him...until the cause is found and cured.”

“Perhaps.”

“Rest assured that I will be watching the Andorian situation quite closely, Soultek. Columbia’s captain is an adoptive brother to Captain Shran...the curtain of family has always been a logical excuse for other motivations.” She gave Soultek another penetrating look. “As for Enterprise, we will watch Captain Sato and her crew carefully, as your son and his betrothed rework their situation to the satisfaction of all involved. Will that suffice?”

Soultek’s eyes still glittered with smoldering emotion, but his face was impassive as he bowed deeply to her. “Yes, Milady Minister. That will certainly suffice for now.”


The Vulcan priestess paused by the door of the isolated chamber, facing the west side of Mount Seleya. She nodded at Koss as she pushed it open. “A few minutes, Master Koss. That is all that is permitted. Her mental state is still fragile.”

Koss nodded back. “A few minutes, Priestess T’Pehqua. My gratitude.”

He entered the small room and was greeted by the heavy smell of incense. Koss blinked at the lone figure who sat in a chair by the window. The dying rays of Vulcan’s sun painted a rosy blush on her cheeks. Six months of “care” had reduced her thus, to a shadow of her former self. Righteous anger stirred within Koss’s chest. How dare they...?

The woman raised her head at his approach and a flash of recognition stirred within the dark eyes. Koss knelt in front of her; she raised a hand and touched his cheek. He lifted his own hand in response, his long fingers finding the psi points on her face. Do not let emotions overwhelm your thinking, but do not deny them, either. Store them, harvest them for further need. Allow them to supplement your logic, not replace it.

“You...remember the teachings.” Her voice was rusty with disuse, but he heard the hoarse whisper.

“Yes,” he whispered back.

“Good. You have always been a good boy. Do not fail us. Do not fail me.” Her words settled the unease in his stomach and mind. It was not the time to use his emotions, not yet, but soon...

Her fingers spasmed, then her hand dropped abruptly into her lap. Koss opened his eyes and gazed into her face, but the brief flash of sanity was gone. Surak only knows when she will emerge the next time. She struggles to rejoin us, but our enemies send her farther away. This must stop. It must. Vulcan needs her.

He grasped her hands and touched them to his forehead. “I will not fail you, Lady T’Marui. We will be successful.”


Chief Medical Officer’s Personal Log, June 25, 2155:

I’ve received the preliminary medical reports of High Minister V’Lar’s condition. The biochemistry and immunological updates, in particular, concern me greatly. Her readings over the past few months have alternated between stabilizing and becoming more erratic. Doctor T’Vau has followed the treatment standard for Pa’nar Syndrome, but it only slows the inevitable. After a short while, it has no effect at all. V’Lar has reached close to that point now.

T’Vau has also examined other Vulcans, including T’Pau, Soval and T’Pol. Then, she turned her attention on me. It seems that whatever is affecting T’Pol and myself is not Pa’nar...but we’re not sure what it is, either. I have a hypothesis, based on my and Rosie Arroyo’s research, and on T’Vau’s diligent efforts...


Doctor T’Vau, the current head of the Vulcan Medical Academy, was not easily rattled, even during the most dire medical emergencies. Now, she gazed at both Malcolm Reed and T’Pol with a mix of concern and optimism. Malcolm thought the combination looked rather odd on T’Vau’s narrow face.

She turned her gaze on T’Pol. “Child, I had thought that Doctor Reed’s—Malcolm’s—strange extrasensory ability was due to a unique mix of genetics and circumstance. Now, it seems that it is not limited to him, but that talent can be awakened under the right conditions. Fascinating.”

“It is traceable to the genetic level,” Malcolm confirmed, as he called up his readings and T’Pol’s on the screen. “After T’Pol began exhibiting the same sort of behavior, I went back and looked at the analyses of both Enterprise’s and Columbia’s crews. Doctor Arroyo and I had been examining a certain pattern of proteins that resembled the virus that causes Pa’nar Syndrome, but I didn’t think to look for...the other factors.”

T’Pol nodded and added, “And if I understand Malcolm’s explanation on the matter correctly, this is a mixed blessing. It confers a measure of immunity against the modified Pa’nar virus, but for how long...we don’t know.”

T’Vau said nothing for a long moment, then asked, “Are there any others who have this ability, either overtly or in potential?”

“All Humans have psychic ability in potential,” he temporized, “but some are stronger than others. I find these results quite...extraordinary.”

The Healer stared at the information on the screen for several long minutes before she said, “Quite extraordinary, indeed. I am surprised, given the odds of chance and natural selection...”

“It may explain some things...and no, these people are unaware of what they might possess.”

She shook her head. “Will you tell them?”

“No. Not unless it becomes necessary. Remember, this sensitivity might not ever manifest in their lifetimes, or even in their descendants’ lifetimes.”

T’Vau frowned as she absorbed this. “Logical. One thing more, Malcolm: do you suppose this immunity extends to bonded mates?” At T’Pol’s involuntary flinch, she told her, “Your betrothed, Koss...he’s been exhibiting irrational behavior. If this is the case, and it is not this engineered version of Pa’nar because your bond shields him from it, then I fear—“ She broke off. “When are you supposed to see him?”

The younger woman winced. “Tonight. There will be a formal banquet to welcome me home. His father Soultek and my mother T’Les will both be there.” She raised her eyes to meet the Healer’s. “I have been experiencing disturbing images during my sleep cycle—“

“Involving Koss?”

T’Pol struggled to keep a calm demeanor, but Malcolm could see how deeply disturbed she was. “No. Not involving Koss, but...another.”

It didn’t surprise Malcolm; he had a good idea who this ‘other’ might be. He’d seen the budding relationship between her and Trip Tucker after their return from Zora Prime. Trip’s behavior during the voyage to Vulcan confirmed it. The Armory officer conducted himself with utmost professionalism, but those who knew him could see the changes. And if T’Pol’s dreams were about Trip and not Koss...

His mouth quirked upward in grim humor. Do you really know what you’ve embroiled yourself in, Mister Tucker? The penalty for interfering with an established mind-bond was dire, but what if that bond wasn’t legitimate in the first place? What if Koss and T’Pol, for some reason, had become, well “un-bonded”? “De-bonded”? Was there even such a term?

And somehow Minister V’Lar had suspected and was taking her objections to the High Priestess of Mount Seleya. Malcolm could only gape in awe at V’Lar’s brilliant maneuvering. But then, where does this leave Trip and T’Pol? Will V’Lar use this as a political issue to oust Soultek and those with him? Yes, V’Lar was ruthless enough to do it, and with her mental health in question...

All this went through Malcolm’s mind in an instant. He needed to do something about this, and quickly. T’Vau seemed stunned at T’Pol’s revelation, but privacy prevented her from asking T’Pol about this other person, and T’Pol refused to say more about it.

Somehow, this has become more complicated than it seemed on the surface, Malcolm mused. However will we fix this bloody mess?


Back to Part 1
Continue to Part 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.