Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Three Musketeers, Reunited"
By Lady Rainbow

Rating: G
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: The plan comes together. In this chapter, you meet the “mother of the ex-girlfriend” who gave Porthos to Archer...as well as the ex-girlfriend herself. And Hoshi marvels at how the Universe seems to align everything just right for the reunion...

And you will see Archer in the last chapter. I promise, and he’s in for a surprise.

BTW, the sequel to Dumas’s original Musketeer novel had been titled, “Twenty Years After.”

Please R&R! Thanks!


Four

The Reunion Gets Planned

(all the senior staff, except Archer, with a few surprises)

Isabella de los Reyes had to sit down after the third call in a row. Three different calls from three different parts of the galaxy regarding a litter of beagles from years past. A silly grin stretched her mouth and she started to laugh. Dios, all in one hour. Sandra will find this hysterical as well, in a good way.

She tapped her daughter’s comcode and waited a few moments. Her daughter’s face appeared on the screen. “Mama! This is a surprise! Is something wrong?”

“No, chica, nothing is wrong, but I’ve just had a blast from the past.” Isabella chuckled and added, “Do you remember the time when our little Conchita had four puppies?”

Sandra nodded, but she still looked confused. “I remember. Javier was reading ‘The Three Musketers’ and named the puppies after them. We gave them away to good homes...one of them went to Jonathan and became the first dog on a starship.” She chuckled. “Is this about Jonathan?”

“Indirectly.” Isabella sighed, thankful that Sandra still had fond memories of Jonathan Archer. Her daughter and Archer had dated in the years before he accepted captaincy of the Enterprise, but Sandra wasn’t willing to wait five years for him to return. So they’d broken off the relationship, but at least Isabella was able to give Jonathan a fond memory of their family: Porthos.

“Eh, Mama?”

“Porthos’s siblings are alive and well. Jonathan’s crew located them and now they’re thinking about surprising Jonathan with a beagle reunion.”

Sandra blinked, blinked again, then clapped her hands together in glee. “That would be a surprise! I want to be there to see the look on his face!”

“I thought you would,” Isabella said, “but now we have to figure out how to get everyone to San Francisco and how to keep this a secret from Jonathan.”

Sandra inclined her head and then the smile turned wicked. “I have an idea, Mama. Leave it all to me.”


Hoshi still felt like someone had hit her in the back of the head with a board. She cradled her communicator in her ear and repeated, “You found Aramis?”

“Yeah, T’Pol and I were visiting Xiao Leung and turns out she’s his owner,” Trip said, his voice cheerful. “Didn’t make the connection, though, because she gave him a Chinese name, and it was only when Admiral Forrest came up in the conversation that we found out his English name.”

Hoshi felt a pang at he mention of Forrest. “So the admiral knew about Aramis.”

“Yeah. We were thinking about surprising Jon with a little party, but we gotta find the other Musketeers, too.”

“I think we’ve already done that.”

“Huh?”

“Are you sitting down for this?”

There was a long pause, then he said, “Yeah, I’m sittin’ down now. Spill it, Hoshi.”

And she told him about meeting D’Artagnan (also known as Artie), then about Phlox’s excited call from the medical conference on Luna about Athos. Trip was silent on the other end for so long that Hoshi thought she’d lost the connection, but then he laughed.

“I’ll be—what are the odds that would’ve happened? Never mind, I can see the wheels turnin’ in T’Pol’s head from here and I’m gonna get the answer soon enough. So...now we can skip the searchin’ stage and deal with the logistics of gettin’ everyone in one place.”

“The dedication ceremony of the fleet carrier Enterprise will be this afternoon at the Norfolk Naval Pier. Artie’s owner—Captain Waterston of the Royal Australian Navy—will be one of the dignitaries. Malcolm’s talking with him right now...Captain Waterston’s heading to Sydney after the ceremony, but maybe he can make a stop in San Francisco on the way.”

“Perfect. Xiao Leung’s been thinking about dropping by Soval at the Vulcan Consulate anyway. Now what about Athos?”

“Doctor Lucas’s niece has never been to Starfleet Medical in San Francisco. This might be a good time for her to do a sightseeing tour and take Athos with her.”

“Think Phlox can convince ‘em?”

“I think it won’t be too much of stretch, once Phlox explains the reason.”

“Yeah, he can be pretty convincing. All right, I’ll let T’Pol and Xiao Leung know and I’ll get back to ya.”

Hoshi’s smile widened at hearing one of Trip’s most favorite expressions. This time, she knew he would “get back to her”. “Thanks, Trip. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Later, Hoshi.”

She snapped her communicator closed and went out to the deck. Lynette and her father owned a home overlooking Lynnhaven Bay in Virginia Beach. Malcolm and Captain Waterston—or John, as he insisted on being called—were on the deck, arguing over the superiority of the Royal Navy versus the Royal Australian Navy. Hoshi was tempted to point out that Great Britain and Australia were still connected in many ways. Lynette and Travis were down in the sandy beaches along the Lynnhaven River with Artie and Porthos.

Malcolm noticed her and asked, “So, how are Trip and T’Pol enjoying Hong Kong?”

“Sounds like they’ve been having a good time,” she replied, “but it seems that we’ve found the last member of Musketeers.”

John Waterston’s eyes widened. “Already? Seems like you weren’t kiddin’ when you said your intel net was top-notch, mate.”

“This is a surprise to me as well, sir,” Malcolm responded with a shake of his head. “Let me guess: Trip and T’Pol found him in Hong Kong.”

“Aramis belongs to Xiao Leung, the former ambassador to Vulcan.”

Waterson blinked. “The dog’s been out in the galaxy too, it looks like, just like Porthos. Figured they’d be star travelers too.” He chuckled and shook his head. “So now we know where they are, so how’re we gonna get ‘em all together?”

Hoshi was about to tell them about what she and Trip had discuss, but then her communicator went off again. She glared at it, then gave both men a look of apology. She flipped it open and said, “Sato-Reed.”

“Lieutenant?” came the voice of Ensign Richardson, her back-up comm officer on Enterprise. “Ma’am, we have an incoming call from a Sandra De Los Reyes in San Francisco. She’s trying to contact you or Commander T’Pol.”

De Los Reyes? Why does that name sound familiar? Oh...She remembered where she’d heard the name before...she’d been an ex-girlfriend of Jonathan Archer, and it had been Sandra’s mother who had given him Porthos. Hoshi was speechless at the Universe’s twists and turns at yet another coincidence.

“Go ahead and put her on, Richardson. I’ll talk to her.” She raised a hand at Malcolm’s and Waterston’s looks of curiosity. “Hello?”

Hola. Soy Senora Licano-de los Reyes. Tenente Hoshi Sato-Reed, por favor.”

Si, diga.”

“Lieutenant Sato-Reed, my name is Sandra Licano-de los Reyes. My mother’s the original owner of the Musketeer beagles.” Sandra’s voice sounded warm, with a touch of laughter. “She told me that she received a call from you and two others about the Musketeers. I think surprising Jonathan with a little reunion would be wonderful.”

“I think he’d appreciate it. And seeing the look on his face when he’s inundated with beagles—“

“I understand you have a bit of logistical problem getting the dogs to San Francisco and finding a place to hold the reunion. I happen to be a travel agent by profession...I’d like to contribute my services in this matter. After all, I think it’s about time the Musketeers were reunited...and it shouldn’t take twenty years to do it.”

“You’re right, it shouldn’t.” At the men’s confused looks, Hoshi flashed them a grin and a thumbs up. “All right, Senora, I’m willing to hear your ideas.”


Back to Part 3
Continue to Part 5

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.