Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Warrior Souls"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em. Wish I did, though.
Notes: Okay, had a few crazy ideas for this chapter...the crew is completely within the past. Can you tell who is who? (Couple of inside jokes, plus the appearance of another Enterprise character. Clue: This guy was in another one of my ENT fics.)

Reviews and comments needed! Thanks ;)


Three

She went from a deep sleep to full awareness in the space of a breath. A slight breeze touched the silk curtains around her bed. Shadows fell across the curtain, dancing in the wind. She pushed them aside and saw the figure at the far end of the room. The other woman's long blonde hair cascaded down her shoulders, a contrast to the dark blue robe and green sash.

What is it, Joh'leen? Are we under attack?

We have intruders, Leen'da. Five of them, scaling the walls. We must be ready. Leen'da nodded at the other's telepathic orders and slipped out of bed. Leen'da was smaller than her friend, with dark hair, and eyes. People often called them “Night and Day”, and she thought it was fitting.

She located her special pouch of knives by touch and attached it to her sash. Then she melted back into the shadows as soft scraping noises came from the window. Metal upon stone. Grappling hooks.

The first intruder hauled himself up and over the window sash. His feet hit the marble floor without a sound. Leen'da saw his outline in the light of the double moons. Gray hood, tall and broad-shouldered, muscular build. As he checked the perimeter of the room, his deliberate movements reminded her of a different memory, in a different time.

He moves like a MACO, she thought. She frowned to herself. Like a what? Where did that come from? Then the image of a sea creature, a vicious fish, came to her. These people used it as a symbol, and appropriately so. Silent, but deadly hunters.

But so was she. She was trained from birth to be a hunter. The man she loved was of the same kind. A grim smile quirked upon her lips; if only he was here to see her now! This one is mine, Joh'leen.

Very well, I will take care of the two after him.

The man froze in position. Just before he raised his hand, Leen'da's knife sliced through the air and buried itself into his shoulder. He staggered back, eyes locked in agonized fury. Leen'da's right leg shot out and put him down with a foot sweep. He fell heavily on his side with a muffled cry. With one smooth motion, she plunged her blade between his shoulders. The man shuddered once, then went limp.

Leen'da looked up and saw Joh'leen had already dispatched her two assailants. The last two were just climbing into the window. The fourth man launched himself at Leen'da; she saw that this one was more skilled than the first intruder, more determined. His steely gaze caught hers, and again, she felt that strange sense of deja vu, the feeling that she knew this man.

And in that time, he had been a friend. A friend who had saved her life, at the cost of his own.

But now, he was the enemy.

He smirked, his hand beckoning her forward. Leen'da answered with a slow smile. He was unarmed; she slid her remaining knife into her sash. Empty hands, then. Perhaps I should save him for the Weaponsmaster...no, not this time. Perhaps in the next life, they will seek combat against each other. In this life, he is mine

Slowly, they circled each other in a lethal dance. Then he struck out with the flat of his hand. She ducked and kicked out, aiming for the back of his knee, but he anticipated her move and slid out of the way. They fought that way for a long time: striking, retreating, gauging each other's strengths and weaknesses. Leen'da suddenly realized she had to end the fight quickly; he was only keeping her occupied.

Enough of this charade. She feinted with her right hand, then brought her left fist across his throat. The edge of her ring scratched his skin as she jumped away from him. His eyes widened in shock and surprise as he fell to his knees before her, his right hand at his throat. The poison in her ring flowed swiftly through him, but Leen'da saw the calm resignation in his eyes.

Ni'shala buina, ” she hissed at him. “Go to hell, Shadow.”

And remarkably, he managed a smile. “I'll be waiting,” he rasped out, then he toppled forward onto his face. Leen'da checked the pulse point at his temple, but there was none..

She looked up at Joh'leen, who nodded her approval. The fifth and last assailant lay at her feet, limp.“There are more coming. I suggest we alert the others and make our stand here.”

Leen'da sighed and turned her back on the fallen man. “They chose a time when the General was out in the field. They chose wrongly.”

Joh'leen inclined her head. “Indeed they did,” she replied.


The other members of the household hid in their assigned sectors, behind curtains, tapestries and false walls. Leen'da pressed herself against the stones in the courtyard; she refused to barricade herself in a small space. It was easier for her to fight in open territory. Enclosed areas made her pulse race and her hands shake. At her right was Jo'leen; at her left was Yum'sa, a young courtesan from the far south. The dark-skinned woman watched the courtyard entrance with the single-mindedness of a hawk.

Then Yum'sa glanced at her and her hands conveyed the information: ten, perhaps eleven. Closing fast. Leen'da nodded and readied her knife. She had one chance to get this right...

Joh'leen straightened as the men came closer. Then her calm voice rang over the courtyard. “Open the gates! General Mu'fase comes!”A relieved sigh came over the women as the Aronian forces returned to the fortress. Leen'da's eyes widened as she saw an unconscious man being carried on a litter. Joh'leen ran directly for him, kneeling at his side.

“It seems that our Master Builder got himself into trouble yet again,” a quiet voice said. “We found him floundering in the river. I don't think he's seriously injured, but I think he needs some attention.” General Hu'fase strode up to her and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Will you care for him? We need him on his feet as soon as possible.”

“Yes, General,” Joh'leen said. “He will be at your side again soon.”

“Good.” Hu'fase turned his head and found Leen'da. A rare smile flashed across his face and he extended his hands to her. She walked over and took them. Hu'fase was her mentor, the one who convinced her to join his family, the one who provided her with the strength and fortitude. She owed much to him: her life and her love.

His smile softened as he read her thoughts and his strange green eyes held just the barest hint of sympathy. “Your husband succeeded in his mission, Leen'da, but he, too, was swept away by the current--”

“Where is he?” she interrupted, her heart tightening at the thought of the Weaponsmaster in the river. He hated the water; drowning was his greatest fear. “Is he alive? Is he--?” she broke off, remembering to whom she was talking. “Forgive me, General--”

Hu'fase didn't seem offended by her questions. “He lives, but he must have taken a blow to the head; he's very confused. He couldn't remember what he'd done or even who he is. He needs rest, but like the Master Builder, I need him by my side, the sooner the better.”

For the first time that night, her bright smile held no malice in it. “I will do what I can to make him remember.”


Back to Part 2
Continue to Part 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.