Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Whips, Chains, and Plomeek Soup"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: None
Pairings: for this story, R/S and TnT
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: This is an immediate sequel to my Switcheroo story, “Captain Sato’s Enterprise”. Read that fic first to understand what’s going on. Familiar crew in unfamiliar roles. On this Enterprise, people (and things) aren’t all they seem. T’Pol’s relationship with the Vulcan High Command is different...it’s not how it is in the “real” universe.


Thirteen

Four hours later, Shuttlepod One headed down to the surface of Luran. Hoshi sat directly behind Trip, who was piloting the shuttle. She’d wondered how they could convince Archer to bring Trip along, for there was no real need for the Chief Engineer on this particular mission. T’Pol explained it to her in a low voice.

“Ever since we were...married, Trip and I have made it point to be on the same Away teams as much as possible. We are a bonded pair, Hoshi, and it is easier this way.”

“Easier, how?” Hoshi whispered.

“If one member of a mated pair is injured, the other is nearby to assist. If one member dies—“

Hoshi’s eyes widened as she heard the unspoken words. This complicated matters so much...if Trip died, T’Pol might just die with him. Their bond was strong, so strong that she could see that happening. She swallowed hard and thought, What if she and our Trip Tucker became this closely bonded and something happened to him? He's the Armory Officer; there's a chance that he might die in the line of duty...what happens to T'Pol then? Will she die along with him?

T'Pol's voice was soft. "There is always a risk, Hoshi, in everything. Some risks are acceptable, others we simply cannot change. We must treasure the moments as they come."

She felt a blush creep across her cheeks. As a Starfleet captain, her first impulse was to make decisions based on what was "correct", both morally and within regulations. Sometimes, that meant denying herself and her own feelings. It wasn't easy, but she kept the heartache bottled up inside, and cried in private. She had been able to withstand temptation once, but...

It had been an enjoyable...pre-mission briefing. Malcolm, sitting at the sensory station, caught her blush, and the corner of his mouth went up in a slight smirk. Cheeky bastard, she thought, with a tinge of wistfulness. So different, and yet so much the same--

She heard a noise from Phlox behind her and she turned to see him. He was staring at his PADD with an expression of sadness. “What’s wrong, Doctor?”

“We have the time, so I thought I’d look at this latest message from Doctor Lucas. It concerns one of our mutual patients. Unfortunately, it isn’t good news.” He handed her the PADD. “This patient was an Armory officer aboard the Columbia who had met misfortune on an Away mission. She was severely injured, Hoshi, and suffered brain trauma.”

Hoshi stared at the name in Lucas’s message. Lieutenant Ellen Varianis. Former Armory Officer of the Columbia, under Captain Erika Hernandez. Severe brain trauma, permanent. Catatonic for two weeks after the incident. Limited impulse control, memory impairment, multiple personality disorder...

“My God,” she whispered. She glanced again at Malcolm, who was now staring down at his board. Of course, he’d known her; she’d been one of his contemporaries. Her heart ached for him, and for this Ellen Varianis. Wordlessly, she handed the PADD back to Phlox, who sighed and deactivated it.

“I”m sorry, Lieutenant Reed,” Phlox whispered, “but Ellen Varianis finally died three days ago.”

Malcolm shook his head as Hoshi put a comforting hand on his arm. “Ellen was one of the best, Phlox, and it was tragic what happened to her. I’ll write a condolence note when we get back to Enterprise.” He managed a smile at her; she tightened her grip on his arm.

“I’m sure her parents will appreciate that, Malcolm,” Captain Archer spoke up from the back of the shuttlepod. The captain gave him a sad smile. “Captain Hernandez had nothing but praise for her.”

Hoshi’s board beeped and she brought her attention to the incoming transmission. “A welcome message from the Lurans, Captain Archer.”

“Put it through, Ensign.” He raised his voice. “This is Captain Archer of the Enterprise.”

“Welcome, Archer, to Luran. We are sending landing coordinates to your pilot.”

Trip nodded in confirmation. “Got ‘em, Cap’n.”

“We’ve received them,” Archer echoed..

“We look forward to meeting you and your crew.” Then the channel closed with a loud click.

Archer and Trip exchanged looks. “Seem like friendly enough folk,” Trip commented, but even his normally sunny mood was muted.

“Perhaps,” Malcolm muttered.


The landing coordinates were in the middle of a courtyard. When Malcolm cycled the shuttle hatch open, he took a brief moment to survey the surroundings. “Captain, we’re surrounded by the Lurans. I suggest caution.”

Archer nodded. “Agreed. Let’s go meet the natives, shall we?”

Malcolm exited the shuttle first, to the enthusiastic chanting of the Lurans. Then Archer followed, with Trip, T’Pol, Hoshi and Phlox bringing up the rear. Hoshi walked up to the Head Speaker with Malcolm on one side and Archer on the other. The Speaker towered over even Archer, his purple skin and hairless skull gleaming with body paint. The Speaker pressed his palms together and bowed deeply. Hoshi and Archer returned the bow, while Malcolm saluted with the katana.

“Greetings, Captain Archer. I am Mu’ranex.”

Archer’s hand moved towards the ahn-woon on his belt, but to everyone’s surprise, Mu’ranex reached out and stopped him. Malcolm scowled and whipped the katana’s point towards the Head Speaker’s throat. Mu’ranex’s other hand snapped up and intercepted the blade; it bounced off an invisible shield and threw sparks.

Very good, Fawh-der,” Mu’ranex said, as he dropped both hands. He gave Malcolm a nod of approval. “Captain, your Warrior is loyal and skilled. You do not have to perform the speeches; it is required for high dignitaries from other Luran colonies, but not guests.”

T’Pol’s eyebrow shot up in surprise. Hoshi blinked, then said, “It was included with the First Protocols, Head Speaker, so we had assumed—“

Mu’ranex glanced down at her and smiled widely, his grotesquely green gums stretched taught over pointed teeth. “That is the standard First Protocol that we relay to all our guests, My Lady. It is a forgivable mistake; the Denobulans assumed the same thing and carried their sekhla with them. It cause quite a diplomatic incident, if I remember correctly.”

Phlox frowned in confusion. “I do not recall that particular story in Denobulan history, sir.”

The Head Speaker chuckled at his expression.“It was kept within particular circles, Doctor Phlox. Imagine the embarrassment that your leaders would have had if that story was widely known!” At the doctor’s look of askance, he added, “Doctor Va’Ruth is my second cousin, and she speaks fondly of the Denobulan who was as lost on Earth as she was. She sends her regards, Doctor.”

“I’m glad to meet one of her family,” Phlox answered with a slight grin.

Mu’ranex glanced at Archer, who mirrored Phlox’s smile. “And would you let me be known to your officers?”

“Of course. My first officer, Subcommander T’Pol, my Chief Engineer Charles Tucker, my Armory Officer Malcolm Reed, and my Communications Officer Hoshi Sato. Doctor Phlox, you already know.”

Mu’ranex gazed at T’Pol, then at Trip. “I am honored to meet you and your mate, sir, as well as the Fawh-der and his mate.”

T’Pol returned the gaze as Trip looked surprised. “I am curious to know how you could tell my relationship with Commander Tucker and of Lieutenant Reed and Ensign Sato.”

The Head Speaker nodded and replied, “There is an...unmistakable bond that Lurans can detect between beloveds, Subcommander. I cannot explain it any better than that, but we instinctively know. So, I would not worry about your virtue or of Ensign Sato’s, for we hold the mating bond sacred as your people do.”

“Ah,” T’Pol said, as she and Hoshi traded looks. The simple explanation also clarified how the High Chieftain in their universe had been able to tell that Doctor Reed had been Hoshi’s ‘mate’. Of course, the Lurans there hadn’t been so forthcoming with that information.

“We have arranged a reception for you and your officers, Captain. If you would all follow me, I wish to introduce you to my Council. They are all very eager to meet each of you.” Mu’ranex extended his hand up the walkway and allowed Archer to walk by his side. The rest of the Away team followed. Malcolm and Hoshi were directly behind Archer, with Trip and T’Pol next and Phlox bringing up the rear.

“Really friendly folk,” Trip repeated under his breath.

“Indeed,” Malcolm said, his tone ironic. He kept Hoshi’s katana in his hand and his other arm around Hoshi’s shoulders. Despite Mu’ranex’s reassurance, Hoshi could feel all eyes on her, both admiring and antagonistic. His arm tightened around her as someone hissed from the audience.

“Malcolm—“ she whispered.

“Stay alert, Hoshi. I won’t relax until we’re safely back on the ship.”

She nodded. It was starting all over again, but this time, she planned to change the ending. Hoshi glanced over at him as he kept a vigilant watch over the Away team. I won’t lose you again, my love. I won’t lose you.


Back to Part 12
Continue to Part 14

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.