Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Differential"
By Zane Gray

Rating: Most of the story will qualify as PG, but expect some seriously R-rated bumps along the way.
Disclaimer: Star Trek owned by CBS/Paramount.
Description: In Prologue


Chapter Ten

Five Days Later...

"On behalf of the citizens of Vulcan, we wish to express our sincere condolences for the losses you have suffered on our behalf. Furthermore, it is of the utmost importance to us that you also know a measure of the gratitude we have with regard to your efforts in recent events."

High Councilor Skon paused for emphasis and regarded the Humans arrayed before the committee. Captain Jonathan Archer stood before him in full dress uniform, along with the head of Starfleet, Admiral Forrest, and the elected leader of Earth's united government, President Celia Durand, both of whom had already addressed the Council. Off to the side of the committee floor, Ambassador Soval and Sub-Commander T'Pol waited patiently for their debriefing, which would follow shortly. Ambassador V'Lar, who was scheduled to return soon to Mazar, had also requested to be present at the proceedings. She stood quietly behind Soval. And seated on either side of Skon were nearly all of the senior members of the Vulcan High Council - the Intelligence Minister, the Science Minister, the Security Minister and the rest, nine in all. Only High Priestess T'Pau, the youngest and most recently nominated member of the High Council, was absent. She was, at that very moment, attending to the vital business on Mount Seleya.

Skon's next words were intended to be something of a confession - one not every member of the High Council was comfortable with. Even has he spoke, Skon could hear Security Minister Turvan shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

"We regret, Captain Archer, that you and your crew may have entered this situation with less than complete knowledge of the circumstances... and the dangers involved. You must understand that the knowledge that the katra of Surak had been stolen from our planet was long held only by a very small number of individuals. As you are no doubt aware, Captain, Vulcans are logical, peaceful people who keep their emotions tightly held in check. But it is no exaggeration to suggest that this same emotional control might have failed utterly if this knowledge had become public. The resulting effects on our society would have been... considerable. It was therefore determined to keep Agent Sesslek's mission to recover the katra secret. Nevertheless... it is clear in retrospect that, had we been somewhat more forthcoming with Starfleet, lives might have been spared."

Archer looked down for a moment as he considered both Skon's surprising admission and his own response, carefully trying to keep his emotions in check. Finally, he spoke. "I've never pretended to fully understand Vulcans, Councilor. But over the last year, I believe I've come a long way towards understanding," he glanced briefly at T'Pol, "thanks in no small part to the patience of my Science Officer."

From her place nearby, T'Pol's eyebrow lifted briefly. Only V'Lar took note of it as Archer continued. "If the Enterprise's involvement in the events of the last week have somehow helped to ensure the well-being of the Vulcan people, then I know I speak for my entire crew when I say that we're gratified to have been able to help in some way. That said, as you are no doubt aware, Humans chose to embrace their emotions, for better or worse. I can't pretend that the deaths of so many of my crew doesn't weigh on me heavily. As a Human, I want very much for those deaths to have meaning."

Now Archer looked at each of the members of the High Council in turn. "And so I wouldhope that something else could come out of this tragedy... something of benefit to both our peoples. I would hope that, through these events, Humans and Vulcans will learn to trust one another more in the future."

For a moment, the members of the High Council regarded each other, each weighing in silently with their opinion on Archer's remarks. Finally, Skon looked back at the Human thoughtfully.

"That would be my hope as well, Captain." Then he raised an eyebrow of his own. "It is a remarkable thing that logic could occasionally germinate from the seeds of emotion."

Archer gave a small smile. "Indeed it is, sir."

With that, Skon stood, as did the other members of the Council. "I must ask, of course, that certain events discussed here today not be spoken of outside this chamber."

President Durand stepped forward. "You have our assurances that the matter of Surak's katra will be kept in the strictest confidence, Councilor Skon."

"We are again grateful."

Archer, Forrest and Durand nodded their heads in respect, and Skon returned the gesture. Then the Humans exited the council chamber, the heavy doors closing behind them with a rumble, and Soval and T'Pol stepped forward.

As the Council members once again took their seats, it was Turvan who spoke first. "I still maintain that it is unwise to make such admissions to the Humans. While the evidence suggests that they have comported themselves honorably in these events, they are still a savage race. They are not yet ready to take their place in the interstellar community."

It was T'Pol who responded. "With all due respect, Minister Turvan, you underestimate them."

He took her to task immediately. "Indeed? It would be difficult to overestimate their irrational, emotional and unpredictable natures. They have nearly destroyed themselves on multiple occasions in the last three hundred years. The Humans pose a serious danger to both themselves and others."

T'Pol was undaunted. "The Humans are indeed subject to their emotions, but they are the first to acknowledge this shortcoming. And while emotions are considered disruptive in Vulcan society, they are the very thing that make Humans so successful at nearly all they attempt. They have accomplished much in a remarkably short period of time... more, in some ways, than Vulcans have in millennia. And they are capable of far greater achievements. At first, I was unwilling to accept this. But I have come to believe, through first-hand experience, that they are a worthy species."

Turvan raised an eyebrow in skepticism. "We are well aware of your personal experience with the Humans, Sub-Commander. The fact that you have bonded with one of them is proof enough of your bias in this matter."

"Again, with respect, Minister... my relationship with Commander Tucker is not up for discussion. I am more than willing to accept responsibility for the personal choices I have made. But I do not regret them and I will not justify them to you or anyone else. I will resign my commission at once if that is what you require. But whether you accept the accuracy of my reports or not, the fact remains that at their current rate of development, Humanity will become the dominant political force in this part of the galaxy with a century."

It was clear that Turvan was losing his patience with the young officer. "Your impudence is clearly--"

Skon interrupted quickly, attempting to regain control of the assembly. He nodded firmly at T'Pol. "Your resignation will not be required, Sub-Commander. You are dismissed."

T'Pol bowed formally in return, exchanged a brief nod with Ambassador Soval and another, longer one with Ambassador V'Lar. Then she made her own exit. Turvan chose now to focus his attention on Soval.

"Your officer has become corrupted by her time among the Humans, Soval. She is hardly a suitable representative of the Vulcan people. And now we reveal our most private affairs to the Humans as well? This approach is nothing short of outrageous."

Soval was about to reply, but V'Lar stepped forward and spoke instead. "Would that all interstellar events could be so accurately measured from a seat in the Council chamber. If the benefit of first-hand experience has become irrelevant to this body, then perhaps the High Command and the Diplomatic Service are no longer necessary."

Turvan took exception. "Do you stand before this Council and insult me, Ambassador?"

"Of course not, Minister Turvan. But I do believe that your assessment suffers from an important lack of perspective. If anything, Sub-Commander T'Pol underestimates the speed of Human development. While I myself have never visited Earth, I have personal experience with Captain Archer and his crew. And I have spent many years observing Humanity's progress. Their social evolution is a constant process and is far faster than our own. It is true, they have nearly destroyed themselves many times in their history. But they learn from their failures and strive constantly to improve themselves. They take pride in their accomplishments, but not so much that they refuse to accept new ideas. Humanity is quickly outgrowing the need for Vulcan mentoring."

Soval regarded V'Lar with the Vulcan equivalent of scorn. "I couldn't disagree more! Have we learned nothing from the events of the past year? The Humans have undermined our position with the Andorians, escalated the Suliban conflict and were an incidental party to the destruction of an entire colony! How much more damage shall we allow them to cause?"

The Science Minister, T'Par, spoke up now and the rest of the Council listened intently, her opinions carrying considerable weight. "While I acknowledge the better part of your argument, Ambassador V'Lar, I must agree with Soval with regard to your final statement. To allow Humanity unrestricted access to the Alpha Quadrant would be premature."

V'Lar acknowledged this and continued. "Make no mistake... the Humans still have much to learn from us. But I believe there is much we can learn from them as well. Consider recent events. Captain Archer and his crew have made great sacrifices on behalf of our people, not out of obligation, but out of a sense of loyalty and good will. This is not a logical thing, but neither is it trivial or something to be dismissed. They have helped to save our civilization, and yet they ask for nothing in return except our respect. What more must they do to prove themselves to us?"

Soval would not be moved. "We must continue to guide them in interstellar affairs." Turvan and several others on the Council clearly shared his opinion.

Finally, V'Lar played her hand. "I do not disagree. But if I may, Ministers... there is a way that we can continue to facilitate their development - to advise them when necessary and exchange ideas with them - while still allowing both our peoples to benefit."

Skon regarded the Ambassador carefully. "What is it that you propose, V'Lar?"

"To use one of their own expressions... the Humans have long offered their hands to us in friendship." V'Lar held out her own hand in emphasis. "Perhaps it is time for us to return the gesture."


...


Outside, T'Pol made her way slowly across the High Council Building's Great Plaza. The polished stone seemed to shimmer beneath her feet as it caught the light of the blazing afternoon suns. All around her, there was the bustle of activity. Tourists and school children were being guided here and there across the grounds. Other citizens took advantage of the Plaza gardens for meditation and quiet reflection. Groups of councilors passed through the area, engaged in debate on various matters of importance, their respective aides in tow. And beyond the Plaza, the famed Grand Bazaar was in full swing, with row after row of tented shops - nearly a thousand in all - offering the finest wares that the artisans of ShirKahr and the surrounding provinces could offer.

But T'Pol ignored all of this. She strode through the gardens purposefully, headed for the air taxi platform on the far side of the Council grounds. She moved as if on automatic pilot, her thoughts focused entirely on what Trip must be going through thousands of miles away on Mount Seleya... the dangerous procedure to separate the katra of Surak from his own consciousness. A human had never been given a katra before, and among the select few Vulcans who knew that it had happened at all, there was a strong belief that Commander Tucker would not survive the removal process. Even if he did live through it, there was an even greater possibility that he would be changed by the process... that his own essence, his personality, his very identity... would be damaged irreparably. T'Pol had asked to be present for the procedure, but the inner sanctum of the monastery on Mount Seleya had been declared strictly off limits, leaving her little to do but fulfill her duties... and endure the unbearable agony of worry.

So absorbed was T'Pol in her thoughts, that she failed to notice a tall Vulcan male in government robes approaching her determinedly from across the Plaza... until he finally stepped into her path. When recognition dawned, she regarded him calmly.

"Hello, Koss."

For long moments, her former betrothed glared at her, while his entourage waited at a discreet distance. Finally, he spoke. "I came to see if it was true... that you have bonded with a Human male."

Rumors of the Enterprise's mission had obviously spread quickly, as rumors so often did. Of course, the fact that Trip was Human is what Koss would be concerned with. She should have expected nothing less.

"I have."

Koss's dark eyes narrowed. He'd never been good at hiding his anger. "Then you have dishonored both yourself and your family. The very sight of you is offensive to me. I find it difficult to believe that I ever wished to bond with you."

T'Pol could deal with his anger, but his self-righteousness was intolerable. "There has never been a time when you wished to bond with me, Koss. You have disapproved of me since we were children. It was only out of respect for your parents that you intended to fulfill your obligation. You have no interest in a wife... only the political capital that a marriage can bring you."

Unable to dispute the truth of this, Koss chose simply to change the subject. "I should challenge this Human. It is my right as the one who was rejected."

"In physical combat you would almost certainly defeat him. But to what advantage? There are many facts with regard to Commander Tucker that you are not privy to, Koss. Trust me when I say that if you killed him, even those members of the Council most opposed to our association with the Humans would shun you. Your political career would be ruined. I cannot believe that you would do something so illogical."

Disturbed by the implications of her words, and once more unable to refute her reasoning, Koss didn't even bother to try. "You are dead to me," he said flatly. With that, he turned and walked away, his entourage following dutifully in his wake.

T'Pol simply arched her eyebrow. "Then it would seem that little has changed between us," she replied softly, more for herself than anyone else.

After several long moments... a sound suddenly caught her attention. T'Pol turned and watched as a young girl dragged her father eagerly through the Plaza nearby, excitedly pointing out everything in sight. The child's enthusiasm for the workings of government was obvious, though her father scolded her repeatedly for making such a public emotional display. T'Pol wondered briefly if she had ever been that naive. Then, without bothering to formulate an answer, she continued on toward the taxi platform.

She never looked back.


...


"Is there any word about your Chief Engineer?

"Not yet. Ambassador V'Lar said it could be several days before we hear anything."

"Trip's got nine lives. He'll get through this if anyone can. You did good today, Jonathan."

After their appearance before the Vulcan High Council, Captain Archer and Admiral Forrest had taken the time to brief President Durand on the specifics of the Enterprise's engagements with the Andorian pirates. But the President still had a number of meetings with various members of the Vulcan government to attend before returning to Earth that evening. So once she'd been brought up to speed, Durand had offered a few sincere and encouraging words to Archer and then left, allowing the Starfleet officers to attend to the business of getting the Enterprise space-worthy again. Now, the two men sat in the spacious passenger compartment of a Vulcan shuttlecraft, en-route to the High Command's orbital construction yards, where the Earth starship was being patched up for the trip home.

"The question is, Admiral, do you think the Vulcans will listen?"

"Well... I think the fact that they're being more forthcoming about all this katra business speaks volumes."

Forrest sipped cautiously from a small cup of what passed for coffee to the Vulcans before continuing. "There are definitely factions of the High Council that are against the more open position Councilor Skon is taking. But after what you and your people have done for them, I'm confident things will be different from now on. They can't ignore the fact that Starfleet personnel have died while trying to help them." He sipped again and grimaced, finally giving up on the beverage. "Who knows? Maybe they'll even let us stand on our own two feet for a change."

Near their seats, a wide viewport afforded a striking view of the curving, reddish arc of the Vulcan horizon as it dropped away far below. Archer got up and stood before it somberly, lost in his thoughts. Forrest joined him a moment later, quickly reading his mood.

"I know it's difficult, Jon, especially with all this coming so soon after the destruction of the Paraagan colony. But getting a bloody nose once in a while comes with the territory out here. There are forces in the galaxy that just aren't too happy with the idea of Humans having a place at the table. We were all aware of the risks. That said, I've never known anyone who was more ready to step into the role of Captain than you. That's why Enterprise is your ship."

"I understand that losing people is one of the burdens of command, Admiral. It's just... we've only been at this a year. And I've lost a third of my crew."

"Which means you saved two-thirds. That's fifty-three people who by all rights shouldn't be alive right now. But they are... because of you. You can't lose sight of that fact. You're better at this than you give yourself credit for, Jon."

At that moment, the shuttle suddenly maneuvered into the approach pattern to the construction yards... and the Enterprise came into view. Archer felt his heart racing, just as he did every time he saw the sleek starship under his command. Cradled in the skeletal framework of the dock, the ship was surrounded by a swarm of activity as countless space-suited Vulcan engineers worked on her. Bathed in pearlescent flood-light, the Enterprise's outer hull was still visibly scarred, although incredibly, much of the worst hull damage had already been repaired, despite the fact that the starship had only been towed in the previous morning.

For a time, the two officers simply stood silently, watching as the ship grew larger. Then Forrest spoke wistfully. "Just think of it... that's Humanity's first starship. One day, we'll have a whole fleet of ships just like it. But right here, right now, Enterprise represents everything that matters to our people. All our hopes and dreams. She's the best of all we are... a symbol of what we might one day become. And thanks to her Captain and crew... she survives." He turned to Archer pointedly. "The best way to honor the dead, Jonathan... is to carry on living."

For long moments, Archer considered the Admiral's words. Then he nodded, accepting the truth in them. And as the shuttle slipped gracefully over the bow of his starship, and the bold lettering of the ship's registry... NX-01... Enterprise... passed beneath them, Archer not only accepted the truth, he finally believed it as well.


...


Sub-Commander T'Pol walked solemnly down the familiar hillside path that led to her families' home, which sat on a rugged bluff overlooking the southernmost edge of ShirKahr. The star the humans called 40 Eridani A was already low on the horizon, but it would still be several hours before the smaller, 40 Eridani B disappeared. The dim, third star of the Vulcan system was so far away that it rarely moved from its lonely position in the sky at this high latitude.

T'Pol breathed deeply of the air, which was scented heavily by the blossoms of the numerous kal-el bushes that flourished along the path. She had deliberately requested that the air taxi deposit her near the edge of the city, thus allowing her to cover the rest of the distance on foot. She did this partly because it had been many years since she had traveled this path, and she found that she greatly missed doing so. More importantly, through, T'Pol had wanted the extra measure of time to compose herself before dealing with her parents. And she was glad of the decision when finally she saw the tall, slender figure of her father, Saveth, tending to his garden on the veranda at the front of their home.

"Father..."

Saveth looked up at her greeting, and while his face remained impassive, T'Pol saw the pleased sparkle of recognition and affection in his eyes.

"Welcome home, my daughter. I was hoping you would come." He wiped the dirt from his hands efficiently as T'Pol joined him in the garden. "Given the news we heard, I am gratified to see you well."

"I am pleased to see you also, Father, and in good health it seems." She glanced in the direction of the main house with a measure of apprehension. "Is Mother home?"

After a brief pause, her father answered. "T'Vrel is attending the Astrobotany Symposium in Vulcana Regar. She asked me to convey her regards."

T'Pol sighed imperceptibly. "She is upset with me."

Saveth gestured that they move inside and T'Pol followed him. "Your mother... merely requires time to accept the choices you have made."

T'Pol paused and looked her father squarely in the eye, afraid of what she might see, but more afraid not to see it. "Do you also require such time?"

"I have long believed that we each must follow our own path, T'Pol." Her father's eyebrow lifted in amusement. "And your path has always been... unconventional."


...


A short time later, T'Pol and her father sat together in comfortable silence at a small table on the veranda, sipping herbal tea and enjoying the cool, early evening breeze.

"Father... I regret that I was unable to prevent Sesslek's death."

"It is illogical to harbor such regret. Sesslek died honorably, in the service of the Vulcan people. It is a unfortunate outcome, but I have no doubt that your efforts were satisfactory."

T'Pol nodded impassively. For long minutes, Saveth regarded her quietly, before finally addressing the subject that he knew weighed most heavily upon her.

"You are worried about this... Commander Charles Tucker of the Enterprise."

Momentarily taken aback, T'Pol simply nodded again. "We are bonded. But... I can no longer hear his thoughts. When I reach out to touch his mind... there is nothing." She looked down. "I am concerned."

Saveth considered her admission thoughtfully. "Tell me something of this man."

Once more surprised, T'Pol thought about how best to describe Trip to her father. "He is kind... intelligent. He is a brilliant engineer. He is idealistic. Strong... but also gentle."

"Does he care for you?"

"Yes. I believe a great deal."

"Does he comport himself honorably toward you? Does he treat you with respect? Hold you in high regard?"

T'Pol did not hesitate. "I have never known him to act otherwise."

Saveth nodded, pleased. "A father could do far worse than for his daughter to bond with such a man."

T'Pol's mouth moved silently for a moment as her mind struggled to comprehend her father's unexpected declaration of acceptance. "Nevertheless... I had previous knowledge that I was experiencing the symptoms of pon frell. By canceling my marriage with Koss, I knowingly placed myself in a situation where bonding with a Human would be the only possibility."

Saveth's eyebrow lifted again... but not in dismay. "I will tell you something, T'Pol. I have grown to know Koss very well in the years you have been away. He is arrogant, self-centered... motivated solely by ambition. He is unworthy of you. I should have told you this sooner, but... I was quite gratified when you severed your ties with him."

She looked at her father incredulously. "But... in doing so, I have brought shame upon our family..."

"In whose eyes?"

"Everyone."

"Then perhaps everyone should mind their own business. T'Pol, you could no easier bring shame upon your family than you could grow a second head. You are my daughter. That is all that matters in my opinion and other opinions carry no weight on the subject."

"But--"

Saveth raised his hand, cutting her off. "The issue is settled, T'Pol. Let us not concern ourselves with it further. Now then... I expect the Humans will soon be returning to Earth. When does your ship depart?"

T'Pol hesitated, her mind still reeling. "The... emergency repairs to the Enterprise should be completed in a few hours. But Captain Archer will not leave orbit until--"

Just then, her communicator chirped. With an apologetic glance at her father, she answered it. "T'Pol here."

Hoshi's worried voice same through the speaker. "We've gotten word from Mount Seleya, Sub-Commander."

T'Pol felt her heart skip a beat. "Yes?"

"They're requesting your presence at the Monastery. It's time."

"Acknowledged." T'Pol closed the device and swallowed dryly. Then she turned to her father.

"I must leave at once."

Saveth nodded and they both stood. "Of course. I am glad of the chance to visit with you, even if only briefly."

When they reached the front door, Saveth lingered. "When the opportunity presents itself... I should like to meet this Human who has enriched the life of my daughter."

"I... I would like that too, Father. Very much."

Saveth looked at T'Pol calmly, his eyes conveying volumes about his feelings for her.

"Never be ashamed of who you are, T'Pol. Fly freely among the stars, if that is where your path must take you. And know that my heart flies with you." He raised his hand in the traditional gesture. "Peace and long life, my daughter."

"Live long and prosper, Father."

And as T'Pol turned and walked back down the path from her home, a single tear fell from her cheek. It landed in the dust at her feet, evaporating as though it never existed.


...


Less than thirty minutes later, T'Pol stepped out of another sleek taxi into the thin air at the top of Mount Seleya, and walked reverently across the wind-worn terrace toward the entrance to the Sacred Monastery. The suns had just set over the jagged mountain peaks in the distance, causing the sky to burn a bold, vivid red on the horizon - notably, the color of Human blood. T'Pol saw that ceremonial fires were being lit in great basins and urns all over the grounds. And looking to her left, over the edge of a nearby balcony, she could see a seemingly endless procession of priests and religious scholars moving slowly up and down the long path of steps that was carved into the side of the mountain, each bearing torches. The countless points of light flickered in the gathering darkness.

As T'Pol approached the huge wooden doors of the Monastery, there came a sudden, metallic gonging that resonated languidly in the air, echoing back and forth among the high mountain peaks. And then, with a great, scraping rumble, the sealed doors slowly began to open. Overcome by the enormity of where she was and what was happening around her, T'Pol fell to her knees on the cool stone, bowing her head in deference.

For a time, there was no sound but the whispering wind and the distant call of wild le-matya far down in the valley below. And then... there came the soft clapping of approaching footfalls - sandals on stone. Finally, T'Pol felt a light touch on her shoulder, and looked up into the eyes of the High Priestess, T'Pau.

"Rise T'Pol of Vulcan. We have much to discuss."

T'Pol stood and followed the Priestess obediently to the edge of the terrace. Back at the entrance to the Monastery, rows of hooded monks stood in perfect lines by the open doors, solemnly awaiting the return of their spiritual leader.

Logically, T'Pol knew that the High Priestess was quite young, but she was still surprised by the woman's youthful appearance. In fact, T'Pau was at least fifteen years her junior. At forty-five, she had been the youngest woman to ever achieve the level of Kohlinar, and she was already revered for both her wisdom and achievements. In many ways, T'Pau was everything that T'Pol was not - an irony not lost on T'Pol as she joined the High Priestess at a small viewing area overlooking the valley beyond. The two women stood together in silence for long moments before T'Pau finally turned and spoke.

"Your patience is commendable."

T'Pol merely nodded in acknowledgment as the younger woman studied her features. Then she spoke once more. "You will be relieved to learn that the Human lives. And the katra of Surak is now at peace, secure in the sacred vaults where it belongs."

It was as though a weight had been lifted from T'Pol's shoulders. "I am grateful... on both counts."

The younger woman's eyes narrowed keenly. "You have done well indeed, T'Pol. There are many on the High Council who doubted your ability to serve on the Human ship. But I had confidence that you were equal to the challenge."

T'Pol suddenly understood. "You are the reason I was allowed to remain on the Enterprise after the incident on P'Jem."

"Correct. Though after your involvement in the recovery of the katra, I doubt that you will continue to require my endorsement."

T'Pol's face revealed, very faintly, signs that she bore serious concerns. "I fail to understand how the katra was originally removed. Who could have gained access to the Sacred Monastery undetected? It would seem difficult in the extreme."

"We believe it was taken by the ancient enemy. Children of Vulcan of whom our people no longer speak."

T'Pol's eyes widened. "You refer to the Rihannsu?"

"No Vulcan would have taken Surak's katra. Logic therefore dictates that only they, who left us long ago, would have known of its existence and location. And only the followers of S'Task could have passed as Vulcan to enter the sacred vaults."

"Then you believe the Rihannsu have returned."

"I believe it is likely that some never left. Their agents may walk among us still. We must, accordingly, be cautious." T'Pau regarded her further. "But I can see that you are still troubled."

T'Pol's eyes flicked briefly back toward the Monastery. "Forgive me. My thoughts... linger... with Commander Tucker."

"Understandable. He is your bonded mate." T'Pau read her emotions with surprising ease. "There is no shame in this."

T'Pol could only stand in stunned silence as the younger woman continued. "Your actions, while they must remain secret, have ensured the sanctity of our heritage. There is no greater honor a Vulcan can achieve. Do not be troubled by those who would dismiss you for your ties with the Humans, T'Pol. I believe, as do you, that the future of our two peoples is inexorably entwined. Logic dictates that you will not be the only Vulcan to bond with one of them. You are merely the first."

T'Pol considered this and nodded. "If I may... is it known how well the Commander has endured the removal process? I have been unable to touch his mind since he came to this place."

T'Pau sighed almost imperceptibly. "That is something we cannot know. You must determine it for yourself. I will leave you to see to this task in privacy. Live long and prosper, T'Pol."

With that, T'Pol bowed and the High Priestess took her leave, striding gracefully back toward the open gates of the Monastery. At her approach the monks began chanting a mournful, lonely requiem. Moments later, Vulcan's youngest and most esteemed spiritual leader disappeared from view inside the great doors.

T'Pol stood alone on the terrace as the solemn chanting continued. Then, at some unseen signal, the monks turned as one and moved back inside the Monastery. But one hooded figure remained outside the great doors as they closed. The man seemed to try to get his bearings, and then began walking, unsteadily, toward T'Pol.

"Charles...?"

T'Pol broke into a run, driven by hope and fear and love and so many other emotions that she knew not the words to describe. But as she neared this man whose face she still could not see, T'Pol slowed her pace and then stopped altogether. What if he is not the same? What if he does not know me? What if our bond is truly lost?

At that moment, T'Pol felt a terrible thing indeed... the hemorrhaging of the hope she'd held onto so tightly. But with her last bit of resolve, she suppressed this painful feeling as illogical. With the katra gone, Charles Tucker the Third simply was who he was - he would either be the man she remembered, or he would not. There was only one way to find out. And so T'Pol tried once more to touch his mind from afar - to reach out to the man to whom her life had been bound just days ago... and to whom she wanted desperately to pledge her mind and her body and her heart for all time.

Ashayam... can you hear me? Please tell me that I haven't lost you just when I've come to need you the most!

For long moments, the figure gave no sign of reaction or comprehension as he approached to stand before her silently. But just as T'Pol felt as if her heart would shatter irreparably, the man lifted his arms and pulled the hood up over his head. It was Trip. He looked exhausted... but he was grinning.

"Darlin', it'd take a lot more than some two thousand year old ghost rattlin' around in my head to keep me from lovin' you."

And then something did snap in T'Pol. But as she fell wearily into her lover's embrace, she felt her heart beating stronger than ever.


Back to Chapter 9
Continue to Epilogue

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.