Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

Star Trek: Pioneer
Book I: "The Great Barrier"
Chapter 6 - Scouts

By Darrell Schielke

Rating: R (For language, sexual references, and Sci-Fi violence)
Disclaimer: I do not claim to own Star Trek or any property of Paramount's. I've not been paid for this work and have written it in my spare time. The settings, mannerisms, affectations, and the reference to any and all Star Trek canon is used for creative purposes and not for material gain. I own the plot, characters, and much of the settings in place within this story and have not been contracted to produce them.
Genre: Action, Drama
Description: Captain Koon sends some of his people ahead to find out what the Cove system is all about. At the same time he tasks an unlikely member of the crew to take a fresh look at the circumstances he’s found himself in. Captain Semmes races after Pioneer and calls in the Hirogen to pick up the scent of the wounded ship.


            USS Diocletian did almost nothing on a small scale.  When she engaged her massive impulse drive, her wake had to be cleared for thousands of miles astern.  When she dropped into warp, her subspace bubble was large enough to carry away nearby asteroids and up to three Excelsior-class ships along for the ride.  When she let loose her weapons, wide swaths of destruction were the rule.  When she engaged or disengaged her cloaking device, the perspective of her backdrop changed dramatically.  She was not designed for subtlety, which made the secretive nature of her masters all the more ironic.  She was a dreadnought, a super weapon, built for nothing less than the biggest of big wars, but currently she was being used as an espionage hub and she was not well suited for it.  Nevertheless, her crew had little choice in the matter, and so she conformed to the wishes of her crew in her biggest of big ways.

            Although not built specifically for speed, there was no question she had the power for it.  Cruising along beyond the design limits of her three warp cores, she managed a respectable (almost suicidal) warp 9.92 for three weeks until she arrived at the last known location of Pioneer.  Her arrival could hardly have been missed had an observer been nearby.  Despite her powerful cloaking device, her subspace wake stirred up a rooster tail five times the size of Pioneer’s recent run.  The slow fusion gasses played around the cloaking bubble and displayed its revolutionary elliptical footprint for all to see.  The huge, oblong hole in the gasses resembled a perfectly smooth and lustrous ball of oil rolling along the blue surface of the Great Barrier.  The ball simultaneously reflected the light of the Barrier and allowed the light of it pass through.  The ball of oil tended to lack a continuous outline and seemed to fade in blotchy patches into nothingness.  The eye of an observer would have struggled to focus on the huge object playing in the dust.

            The inventors of the Starfleet cloaking technology based their first generation of their model on captured Romulan technology current in the 2320’s.  Over the next three updates, the device had evolved in almost every way but one: it still ran on an artificial singularity kept separate from the main power supply.  The system could operate under conditions that would overload the output of the largest Starbase generators and was considered flawless even by defected, Romulan engineers.  Therefore, it was much to Captain Semmes annoyance that her cloaked ship was so brazenly exposed.  A further examination of the data informed her that the singularity inside the device was drawing the dust from the Great Barrier up into the ship’s path making the Diocletian’s impulse engines and main deflector struggle against this artificial tide of fusion dust.  In disgust, she ordered the cloak dropped and the sensor shrouds activated.

            The massive dreadnought seemed to glide out of the oily bubble instead of shimmer into existence.  Her proud lines exposed to the scrutiny of the stars for the first time in six years, she eased into the light with a majestic flourish as the Great Barrier backlit her belly like blue-white stage lights.  Sources from inside the Klingon Empire spoke of a cloaking device test bed that had been running for over eighty years straight, but these six years represented the longest any Federation ship had ever been continuously cloaked.  That too annoyed Semmes because she knew the USS Trajin, having activated her cloak about a week after the Diocletian, would soon hold the record for marathon cloaking runs.  Semmes could never hope to regain the title for at least a decade.

            That is not to say dropping the cloak was not without its advantages.  Sensor range was cut in half by the cloak, and the detail they gleaned was inhibited in direct proportion to the output of the device.  With the cloak down, a thousand sensor stations were active for the first time in years, and the crew scrambled to make use of them.  Semmes now had at her disposal a near godlike vision of the space around her for light years in every direction.  She did not intend to squander the opportunity.

            “I want all science duty shifts at general quarters,” Captain Semmes ordered.

            King nodded, “Aye, sir.  Should we include the tactical personnel as well?”

            Semmes rolled her eyes impatiently.  “Yeesss!” she hissed drawing out the word to imply that detail was childishly obvious.

            King nodded again.  A man had to grow a thick skin around Angela Semmes, and after seven years, his was thick bordering on obstinence.  “Aye, sir,” he said again before he began calling up duty rosters and department heads.  Within fifteen minutes, the ship bustled with all the fury of a pitched battle.  King thought the time a bit long and wanted to trim it a bit, but he did not want to tell Semmes that yet.  Better to wait and have drills organized while the ship was cloaked or the Captain was otherwise preoccupied.

            “Report on the Hirogen net,” Semmes ordered.

            Lieutenant Tevel answered her in his flat, calm, voice, “The nodes in this area are active.  The six we shut down are functioning again.”

            “Are we locked out of the system?” Semmes asked.

            “No, sir,” Tevel replied, “our access codes still work.”

            “Check to see if the shrouds are sufficient to hide us,” Semmes ordered.

            Tevel returned to his station and manipulated the nodes’ sensor grid for a moment or two before announcing, “We are not detected.”

            “Good,” Semmes purred.  “Now try to find the threshold where we will be detected by the net, and be thorough about it. I want no surprises from these things.”  She turned to Lieutenant Green, and raised a questioning eyebrow, “Do you have anything of interest yet?”

            Green was grateful he did. “Starfleet warp signature, badly garbled,” he said.  “I’ve confirmed an intercept coarse with navigation.”

            “Splendid!” Semmes said.  “Commander Dar‘Moth, engage intercept course on my mark.”

            Lieutenant Commander Dar’Moth tapped a few keys on his panel.  When he was satisfied, the Cardassian informed Semmes he was ready.

            “Tactical,” Semmes barked cheerfully, “Intercept time to target.”

            Lieutenant Lien was hesitant to answer her.  “I’m not sure, sir.  The readings from the warp trail are too garbled to estimate an accurate target velocity.”

            Semmes’ good mood evaporated.  “Is that true, Green?” she asked angrily.

            Green shook his head, “We could know within two points of actual warp, but I’ll agree with Tactical on this one, that’s a wide margin of error.”

            “Then we must take steps to narrow that margin,” Semmes snapped.  “Launch a full spread of shrouded probes along Pioneer’s trajectory.”

            Lien obeyed, and half a dozen Mark 147S probes raced out of the forward torpedo launchers.  Like hunting dogs, they traced the faint scent left behind Pioneer then fanned out around the trail to get the clearest possible picture.  Spacing themselves 2,000 kilometers apart, they shot data via coded lasers to each other for compilation and transmission back to the Diocletian.

            Semmes did not order the ship to follow the probes yet.  The probes were small, and their shrouds should be more effective against the snooping eyes of the Hirogen Net than the field around the dreadnought.  No vessel this large could call itself invisible to the naked eye, but the Hirogen sensor net only activated sensor eyes if other network tripwires were crossed.  She wanted to know what Tevel’s evaluation of the sensitivity of the net was before she went charging after the probes.

            While the cloaking device was a high power, full-spectrum blind to sensors, shrouding technology concentrated on blunting long-range sensors, active sensor sweeps, passive emissions, and non-optical detection.  Every ship in the Federation fleet had a shroud including Pioneer.  It did not make the ship impossible to see, but it did make it hard to find without impairing the abilities of the vessel at all.  Electronic Countermeasures were the next step in the shroud, but that was an active system that could be detected if not pinpointed.  The shroud by comparison was a device to use when, metaphorically, the lights were already out, the enemy was blinded or not looking in a deliberate manner, or in a scouting capacity where the full arsenal of the Diocletian’s sensors were needed.  The shroud aboard Diocletian was top-shelf and state-of-the-art.  Under normal cruising conditions, it could obscure their warp trail, but it could do nothing but fan out and disperse their impulse wake or a high-speed warp run.

            “How badly is Pioneer damaged?” she asked.

            “I have a department working on that right now,” King replied, “a full report should be forthcoming within the hour.  Estimates indicate port nacelle damage and warp core breaching.  No estimates available on impulse drive yet.”

            Semmes splayed her perfect, white, practically new teeth in the smile of a Cheshire cat.  Her eyes glittered with satisfaction bordering on sexual climax.  “Peyter limped away from the encounter here,” she purred, “That will make tracking him easier for the Hirogen.”  She rubbed her hands lightly against each other with long sensual glides along her palms with her fingertips.  It was an unconscious gesture, but her crew was familiar with it.  Rumor had it she could achieve climax in this manner, and there were solid reports she was studded with gooseflesh beneath her uniform whenever she did it.  “Mr. Green, what is the status of the Puppeteer project?”

            Green smiled, “Ready for its first test, Captain.”

            “Wonderful,” Semmes said.  “I’ll compile a treatment for a test by the end of the day.  Have the project heads meet me in my ready room in two hours.”  She turned to Tevel, “Mr. Tevel, can we proceed through the net in this mode?”

            Tevel was adamant in his response, “Not without sufficient data from tactical.  We may be able to fool the net, but a Hirogen ship is another matter.”

            Semmes was not deterred from her good mood.  “Mr. Lien, do you have positions and telemetry data of all the Hirogen ships in this sector?”

            “Forwarding that data to Mr. Tevel now, sir,” Lien replied.

            Tevel studied the data for a moment then nodded approvingly.  “Space secure for shroud running,” he announced.

            “Engage intercept course, Mr. Dar’Moth.  Mr. Genghis, perform a system wide diagnostic on the cloaking device and perform any maintenance it should require.”

            The Diocletian heaved its massive bulk away from the Great Barrier and pointed her prow towards the dust cloud Koon’s people had dubbed “no man’s land.”  An instant later her mighty warp drive, so large it required three nacelles just to displace the energy, flashed to life and threw the ship into subspace.  Behind her, another rooster tail flattened and distorted the surface of the Great Barrier like a foot slapping down on fine dust.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Far off in the distant cloud of No-Man’s-Land, a Hirogen network node was looking at the Great Barrier.  It was an old node and had floated serenely at this point in space for 30,000 years.  It was manufactured and placed there during the expansion of the Hirogen Empire and had blithely ignored (and been ignored by) history ever since.  Its design was so solid, so rugged, and so well thought out it still had a few millennia ahead of its useful life, but in its entire long, lonely sojourn here, it had never seen a thing of interest to its makers.  Not to say that was uncommon for a node.  The vastness of space changes at a pace so slow and incremental, the theologically minded observer could be justified in thinking the Almighty afraid of the time He set in motion, and these nodes could provide masses of data to argue the point.  In hindsight, the effort to build, place, and even ignore these nodes would seem a massive waste of time and energy since they provided nothing in exchange for much.

            …Until now.

            Looking down on the surface of the Great Barrier, the node finally saw something.  Something big.  While it had missed the antics of Pioneer by a narrow margin, the Diocletian was an order of magnitude harder to miss.  Still, what the node saw was not the outline of a Federation Dreadnought.  It saw something far more useful.  When the Diocletian raced away from the Great Barrier, the node saw the footprint of a massive ship and the energies it commanded outlined against the backdrop of the blue-white surface of slow fusion gases.

            Looking up a subroutine in its software, the node reviewed the transmission procedure for the first time in its long life and transmitted the data to the rest of the network.  The information was ominous though the node did not have the processing power to realize it.  In plain terms: the disturbance in the dust told the Hirogen a predator was on the loose.  A big predator with the size and energy to justify a huge appetite.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Koon began slowing the ship days before they arrived at the Cove system.  This was good for a number of reasons, but the first two on the list were the easiest to understand.  First: the warp core would last longer and run further before it had to be shut down.  Gordon had been telling Koon for a week to slow the ship down before a catastrophic and unpredictable failure occurred, but the Captain wanted as much distance between the hunters and themselves as he could before he risked even a moment’s hesitation.  Second: Koon wanted the system scouted out in considerable detail before Pioneer arrived.  Launching shuttles at warp was a tricky process at any time, but Pioneer had the added complexity of having shuttles only capable of warp 4.  Koon had managed to keep the ship at warp 8 since their initial dash from the Great Barrier, so dropping off the shuttles to scout out the system made little sense if they arrived a week or two after the ship did.

            Much to Gordon’s relief, Captain Koon gradually brought the ship all the way down to warp one before he ordered the shuttles launched.  He kept four of his surviving twenty-three shuttles aboard Pioneer in the event that he somehow needed them, and sent Okuma out with the rest.  The shuttle mission served a dual purpose.  The first was to scout the system out for a possible obit to rebuild the ship in.   But the next one reflected a more pressing concern in Peyter’s eyes.  He was desperately short of pilots and navigators after his time near the Great Barrier, and he needed all he could train in short order.  Fortunately, the trip to Cove was not terribly complicated once the shuttles were launched.  With some serious transporter time and some fancy footwork, Lieutenant Forte managed to launch all the shuttles, and turn them over to the trainee crews in under an hour before transporting over to Okuma’s shuttle leading the pack on to the distant star.

            Each crew consisted of a pair of prospective pilot/navigators since Okuma insisted on everyone involved with the training get as thorough an education as possible on the subject.  Koon and Gordon took over the training and handling aboard Pioneer herself while the gaggle of shuttles roamed ahead of the ship.

            Commander Okuma was in charge of the flight schedule, and she had gone so far as to check with Koon before she deliberately put Forte in her personal shuttle.  She managed to stay professional and cool while they had Pioneer in sight, but as the larger ship fell behind them, she began to feel nervous.  Travel time to Cove would be a week at warp 4, and during that time she would have Forte all to herself.  It took every speck of resolve she had in her to keep from blurting out her feelings for the younger man once the shuttle dashed ahead of the ship.

            For his part, Forte kept a close eye on the other shuttles.  “The Pike’s Cutoff is lagging behind,” he grumbled.  “That Cabrillo kid better get a clue before I let him loose at Cove.”

            Struggling to order her thoughts, Okuma had to agree with Forte.  “I thought Kree could manage the ship.”

            Forte nodded and tapped the display to emphasize his point.  “She can.  That’s why I’m griping about Cabrillo.  She wouldn’t let that shuttle go so far astray if she were at the controls.”

            The primary job of any First Officer is looking after the people under them, and Samantha took this job very seriously.  She was not a gossip before she had accepted Koon’s offer for the position, but the job had turned her into one.  Often as not, she spent hours chasing down rumors and hearsay just to keep appraised of the mood of the crew.  One such rumor that had led to some serious trouble in the past involved one of the scientists brewing hallucinogenic drugs in his lab for his own use.  That had been an ugly episode, but some good things came from it.  The addicted scientist was now undergoing treatment, and was doing some useful work with Dr. Totem.  Stuff of this nature left a bad taste in Sam’s mouth when she pried into folks lives, but there was no helping it.  Gossip was one of the tools she had, and she had little choice but to use it.  If that meant she had to nosey from time-to-time, then she could console herself with the knowledge that she would not go blabbing about the ship if the information did not affect the majority of the crew.  On the side, she cropped up all sorts of sordid stories she wished she could forget.  One such story in the last week implied Cabrillo and Kree were lovers.  The third watch officer had reported complaints regarding the Planetarium three days ago.  Apparently, someone was locking the door and creating all kinds of racket between the second and first duty watch down there.  The obvious culprit would be Cabrillo since he spent almost every waking moment in the room, but the addition of Kree to the rumor beggared Sam’s credulity.  The thought of the short, austere Andorian and the tall, lanky, and painfully shy David Cabrillo together struck her as nothing short of impossible.  For one: Andorians did not prefer humans as companions for some reason they could not describe…

            …Much like she could not describe why she found Forte so attractive.  To be sure Darin was a hansom man by any measure, but that wasn’t what kept her attention coming back to him.  The fact of the matter was she found a new reason to dwell on him every day.  The things he did and said and the manner in which he composed himself added up to a muse she found both inviting and engaging….

            Dammit! She raged to herself.  Get your mind off him for two minutes, girl!  Get a grip!  This trip isn’t for playtime.  There’s work to be done.

            The trouble was that was patently false.  Aside from a few minor adjustments to the shuttle’s systems, Samantha and Darin had nothing to do for the next week.  Thinking about all she wanted to say to the man only made the time ahead more tedious a prospect.  So what do I do now? she asked herself, grab him by the shoulders and smother him in kisses until he relents?  The idea was not without its charms, but she dismissed it with a miserable humph.

            “Something on your mind, Commander?” Forte asked without looking up from his work.  When she did not answer for a long time, he turned to face her.  His expression was one of personal concern for her.  “Commander?” he asked again.

            She gave up.  There was no way she could think of to phrase it without sounding… well… like a love struck teenager.  With a dramatic sigh she began, “I have a problem, Lieutenant.”

            Forte nodded.  His eyes shifted up to hers and stared at her innocently.  “What would that be?  I trust I’m not boring you already on this trip.”  He assumed an exaggerated mode of speech and his eyes went wide with mock horror, “I’ve doomed the mission to failure by not properly entertaining my superior officer!  Regulation 88-dash-66-dash-110A clearly states: ‘ALL HELSMEN MUST AMUSE THE FIRST OFFICER FOR THE DURATION OF AWAY MISSIONS.’”  He threw up his hands in an appeal to a higher power for justice.

            “Lieutenant,” Sam chided quietly.

            “YEARS OF TRAINING WASTED!”  Darin bawled as if he had not heard her.  “THE SHAME OF THIS STAIN ON THE FAMILY HONOR WILL NEVER BE ERASED!”

            “Darin!” Sam said a bit louder.

            Forte fell out of his chair with a heavy thud to the deck and kneeled in front of her, “I’M RUINED!” he moaned, “ALL HISTORY WILL BLACKEN MY NAME FOR FAILING SAMANTHA OKUMA!”

            Sam began to giggle.  Despite her best efforts, she could not keep her voice even.  “This isn’t behavior becoming an officer, Darin Forte.”

            “NOW I’VE MADE AN ASS OF MYSELF!  Wait… you’ve already seen my ass.”  His voice turned quiet and crafty.  His eyes darted from side to side as if he were looking for eavesdroppers.  “How do I make my superior officer forget I paraded my bum before her discriminating eye?  The instructors at the Academy were rather lax on the subject of how to make amends for mooning Commanders.  Ensigns, Lieutenants, and enlisted NCO’s were covered but not Commanders.  How foolish of me to cut class the day they covered it!”

            Samantha laughed.  It took a moment to realize how long it had been since she had laughed.  She had been so wrapped up in the crisis back on Pioneer she had lost all patience with jokes recently.  As the spasms racked her lungs and split her face into a careless grin, she felt a vast relief wash over her like a warm shower.

            Forte smiled at her and returned to his seat.  He made a glance at the monitor as her laughter subsided to giggles again then returned his attention to Sam.  In a confiding voice he asked, “So what’s the problem, Commander?”

            “Ugh!” she groaned.  When he called her “Commander” all the tension came back to her as responsibilities came crashing down with it.  “Let’s dispense with rank for now, Darin, alright?  I need a break from being the First Officer.”

            Forte smiled, “Sounds good.  In fact, would the Great and Terrible ‘Dragon Sam’ care for some breakfast?  I missed out on mine this morning.”

            “Do they really call me that?” Okuma asked.

            Forte shrugged, “Only means you’re tough,” he said then added, “but still loved.”

            Sam slumped in her seat.  “I certainly don’t feel loved anymore,” she admitted miserably.

            Forte waved a dismissive hand, “A short break will change your outlook.  To tell you the truth, I’m glad to be here with you.”

            Sam felt a nervous flutter of hope.  “Why?”

            Forte assumed a knowing smile and told her in a voice dripping with sarcasm, “It’s a special bond a man shares with a fellow officer he’s mooned.  I have it on good authority it’s an uncommon rare occurrence in the Fleet.”

            “You’re right,” Sam agreed wryly.

            “I should have run away from you the instant you saw my butt,” he added.

            “I would have stood in line for the sight,” Sam admitted.

            Darin laughed this time then made his way back to the replicator.  Privately Sam thought this was going better than it had any right to be.  She had the long-standing habit of keeping her guard firmly in place while Darin had a knack for getting her to drop it.  If things continued in this vein without progressing to the degree of intimacy she desired, this would be a refreshing trip for her just the same.

            Darin ordered a plate of eggs and rice with a glass of juice to wash it down.  Sam knew he was either oblivious to her feelings or hiding his response with remarkable finesse.  “What do you want…Samantha?” he asked a bit nervously.  Addressing her by her first name was new in his mouth and mind, and it was clear it did not quite fit right.

Still… Sam thought the sound of her name had a wonderful ring to it when spoken in his clear, tenor voice.  “It’s been so long since anyone has said my name to me,” she said.

            “I thought the Captain did it all the time,” Darin said.

            Sam shook her head, “Nah, when we’re alone it comes down to ‘Pete’ and ‘Sam.’ I don’t think I’ve heard ‘Samantha’ in years.”

            A shadow crossed Forte’s face for a moment.  “Are you two...?” he began to ask but trailed off as he thought better of it.

            Sam grinned at him.  “Intimate?” she challenged.

            Darin shrugged nervously.  “It’s none of my business, but the rumor is that you two…” he trailed off unable to muster the nerve to say his thoughts aloud.

            Sam did not want him to suffer for his interest, but he looked so adorable with that uncomfortable expression on his handsome face.  After a short pause she told him, “No, Darin, Peyter and I are good friends, but he’s devoted to his wife back home.”

            The shadow on Darin’s face appeared again.  “What about you?” he asked.

            “I’m interested in someone, but of course everyone on the ship is one of my subordinates so I’m at a loss how to begin things,” she told him truthfully enough.

            To her surprise Darin dropped the glass of juice in his hand.  A blank look of shock crossed his face and his mouth opened and closed a number of times.  A bit belatedly he shifted his attention to the spill on the floor then back to her, then back to the spill again.  He stooped to pick it up and put the plate in his other hand down.  She could see his hands trembling slightly.

            Sam had to stare at the man.  Ordinarily Darin’s nerves were solid ice.  To see him this badly rattled struck her as downright alarming.  “Did I say something wrong?” she asked.

            For a long minute Darin said nothing.  Looking at the floor he finally admitted, “I don’t know how to begin things either.”  He looked up with hopeful blue eyes and added, “But I want things to begin with you.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Far behind them, the Pike’s Cutoff was acting out something very similar to the events with Okuma and Forte.  The chief difference was there was no pretense or hesitation on Kree or Cabrillo’s part.  The blessed privacy of the shuttle allowed them a marvelous opportunity to enjoy each other in ways they had to restrain aboard Pioneer.  Forte had been right about Cabrillo piloting the shuttle, but he had missed the reason why the astronomer could not get the Pike’s Cutoff running with the rest of the shuttles.  The trouble was with Kree whispering the instructions in his ear between nips and kisses while he struggled to concentrate.  She almost did not allow him to drop into warp when she did something to his neck that sent a violent chill down his spine.

            “I adore the way you respond to me,” Kree whispered in his ear once he engaged the warp drive.  “It makes me feel so wanted.”

            “Have no fear on that score,” David said.  “I can’t get enough of you.”

            She kissed him tenderly on the lips and sat down in his lap.  She stared levelly into his eyes for a moment, and David had the chance to marvel at how very blue her eyes were.  Truly, no human eyes could ever hope to be so icy, almost radiant, China blue.  Not surprising since every bit of her was blue, but they were quite striking nonetheless.

            “I adore you, David,” she said quietly.  Her voice gained a strong undertone that told him to trust this statement wholly and without question.  He might have replied to her, but she was good at taking his breath away.

            Several hours later David untangled himself from her sleeping body and sat down at the science station.  The news from Cove was getting worse.  No water.  NONE.  Cabrillo could not understand it.  Stars pushed the chemical makeup of their planets out with their light, and Cove had not even hinted at this little bugbear when he had surveyed it originally.  Furthermore, the data from the planets themselves did not mesh with the models in his database.  The models told him the second, third, and fourth planets should all have a near M-class environment; something no one in the history of planetary astronomy had ever dreamed possible.  The second planet was small and buffeted by the solar wind so badly, that much of its atmosphere had blown away leaving a thin, warm layer of gases above a baked surface.  The third planet mirrored the conditions Earth enjoyed in a cosmic sense being almost an identical mass and distance from Cove.  The fourth planet was an interesting case in and of itself even without water.  For starters, it was almost exactly one and a half times the size of Earth.  That meant that gravity became a stronger mechanism in the atmosphere than Cove’s radiance at that distance.  Scientists had searched for years for just such a planet to discover how the weather of such a world differed from the ones driven by sunlight.  The biology of such a place was a close second in the list of unknowns, but without water, such life had to be silicone based and all too familiar for all concerned scientists.

            Fascinating as all the speculation was about the prospects for these worlds; Dr. Spaulding and Dr. Totem were growing more concerned with the solar wind of the system.  Part of the reason David had miscalculated on the presence of water in the system was that there was abundant hydrogen and oxygen being blown off Cove’s corona.  Spaulding had measured the densities of these elements in the solar wind, and Totem had calculated some fairly alarming predictions.  According to Totem, the density of the oxygen and hydrogen in the Cove system was dangerously close to a flash point.  He predicted massive static energies unlike any ever seen building up between the surface of Cove and the first of the ice giants.  The gist of his concern was almost laughable.  In lay terms: the empty space between Cove and the ice giants was filled with combustible hydrogen and oxygen at densities that could see a chain reaction and blow the Cove system apart, right to the outer belts.  No one had ever heard of a chemical explosion so big, but Totem was never wrong when his figures were tallied.  Faced with the prospect of flying blindly into a powder keg, Koon had sent the shuttles ahead to study (and preferably dismiss) this notion.  The thinking was that the shuttles could approach Cove from a safe distance and maneuver out of the way.  Pioneer was so badly mauled that once she dropped out of warp, Chief Gordon promised no power under creation would start the warp core again without a total rebuild.  With the impulse engines still out of commission, the chances of them escaping Cove’s gravity once they arrived was just about nil in the event of an emergency.

            A sleepy voice interrupted his thoughts.  “David?”  Kree yawned from the pile of clothes, pillows, and sheets they had made on the floor.

            “Just checking on Cove,” he replied not looking around.

            Kree didn’t stir for so long he thought she had gone back to sleep when she asked, “Anything new?”

            Cabrillo made a discouraged grunt and scowled at the data.

            “I’ll take that as no,” Kree said sounding more awake than before.

            “I might be missing something,” Cabrillo allowed.

            Much to his surprise, the cabin lights flashed to full intensity making him blink back the afterimage of blobby colors and totally obscuring the data beneath them.  He turned around and saw Kree standing stark naked on the other side of the cabin with her hands on her hips.  As familiar as he had become with her body, they had always needed to turn the lights down in order to maintain privacy before.  He had never seen her body before.  In a scolding voice she said, “I agree, Lieutenant Cabrillo, you are shamelessly missing something.”  She spread her arms wide and twirled slowly around on her toes so he could see every bit of her.  Damn, but she could take his breath away!

            “D-dazzling,” he managed to stammer out of a mouth gone suddenly dry.

             Kree walked over to him and made him stand before her.  She spun him about and drank in the fresh sight of him.  Her antennae seemed to pulse and twitch as her eyes hungrily roamed over him.  “I have to say the same for you,” she said.  She was a head and a half shorter than he, and when she drew him close again, her head lay against his chest, and her antennae seemed to sniff about his throat.  After a long pause she said, “We have a problem.”

            “What’s that?” he asked.

            “I don’t think we can hide this once we get back to the ship.”

            Cabrillo had to agree with her.  After a long minute holding her he said, “I can be happy with that, love.”

            That started things all over again and this time she wore him down to sleep.

            Over the next few days they did little else but enjoy each other.  Neither found an excuse to get dressed during all that time.  They talked, loved, and worried about the future.  What they discovered at Cove kept coming up as the make-or-break linchpin to their plans.  If Pioneer could not find a safe orbit to repair herself, the crew might have to take the shuttles to all the nearby stars and try to find help.  The next step would be to tow Pioneer to a more suitable spot.  Some, if not most, of the crew would be sent home to ease the strain on supplies if things came to that.

            As ardent as Kree was to stay near Cabrillo no matter what the consequences to her career, she had little faith in her ability to keep him at her side if the crew scattered.  She was the most senior navigator in the crew, and no doubt Koon would want her available for his mission to Voyager.  By comparison, David’s fate almost certainly would be among the homebound.

            Added to that was the threat of the Hirogen.  Lieutenant M’rath had managed to wheedle some useful tidbits out of the captive Heartshock and what he learned was not encouraging.  To be blunt, it was amazing they were all alive.  Heartshock told M’rath Pioneer not only entered Hirogen space, but had been in Hirogen space for the better part of two years.  The reason why there was a huge no-man’s-land in the 3KPC arm between the Great Barrier and the outer Core dust cloud was that the Hirogen had hunted the area out over a thousand years ago.

            Rumor had it that Dr. Totem flew into a rage upon hearing this.  Few would blame him.  Of all the people on the ship, Totem had the highest hopes and the most at stake when First Contact missions were involved.  Half of his department had languished in idle speculation and private research since their last First Contact four years ago.  Now the reptilian scientist knew there would be no First Contact missions for the better part of five more years before they flew out of this barren stretch.

            To Kree and David this meant that the crew being sent home had over six years at warp 4 to reach the limits of Hirogen hunting grounds and presumed safety.  Neither one of them thought shuttles stood a chance against the hunting ships, and there was no telling what Koon would have to endure to reach a rendezvous with Janeway in the Delta Quadrant.

            With the zeal peculiar to new lovers, Kree and Cabrillo devised a plan to make David indispensable to Koon.  If Pioneer could not be salvaged, perhaps David could act as a scout for Koon’s Voyager attempt.  There was much merit in this line of thinking.  First and foremost, Cabrillo was an astronomer and knew more about stars in a single glance than most would ever know.  Such a man on point patrol could help the larger body of Koon’s crew to navigate through the great unknown they were surrounded by.  With Kree being fed information David sent back to her, the possibility of trimming years off the trip was very high they imagined.  If that meant they had to spend weeks and months apart while David scouted ahead, it was far better than the decades they would have to endure for a reunion in the Alfa Quadrant.  With their bodies thrumming with new passion, any span of time apart seemed an impossible feat of endurance.

            Therefore, they schemed, worried, and on occasion argued, but for the most part, they basked in the love between them.  They were well aware this could be all too fleeting.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            The flight of shuttles arrived at Cove’s heliopause six days after leaving Pioneer.  Once there, they fanned out and made a careful study of the hydrogen/oxygen concentration inside that boundary.  What they found was both encouraging and puzzling.  Totem’s calculations had been right after all.  Massive static charges arched across the system in fits and starts making the outer asteroid belt strobe like moonlight on ocean waves.  The static only got worse as things got closer to the star.  The inner asteroid belt was so bad it looked like a roiling hoop of light around the star.

            “I can’t believe I missed that,” Cabrillo said over the con.  “It must have been lost in the glare of the star.”

            “Or your search for all that water, Lieutenant,” Okuma said with uncharacteristic cheer.  Forte had been right after all.  A little break from being in charge had changed her outlook remarkably.  Not to mention the frequent romps they enjoyed together.  Had the astronomer delivered the bad news during the first meeting in Koon’s ready room, she might have dressed him down to Ensign for a mistake of this magnitude, but after her time alone with Darin she was willing to let this go.  “I think it’s safe to say we’ve never seen anything like it before, so why should you have been looking for it?”

            Forte eyed the spectacle with nothing short of awe.  “Amazing!” he declared.  He keyed the com and said, “Cabrillo, let me take this opportunity to thank you for the rare privilege to see this.  This is…” he searched for the proper words, “…astonishing!  If this is the sort of thing your mistakes produce, I’m inclined to have you screw up more often.”

            Sam laughed.  Since the com was on audio only, she muted the mic, and kissed Darin on the cheek.  He returned the favor with one on the lips before returning his attention to the readings.

            One of the unfortunate shortages Okuma had in her shuttles was a complete absence of engineers.  Gordon had argued he needed them to keep Pioneer running and to keep the refit plans moving along.  Sam had agreed with him the ship was in terrible shape, but the lack even a solitary engineer presented its shortcomings now.  Totem’s calculations were correct, and they had to figure out how to move about the Cove system without detonating the hydrogen/oxygen mix with their impulse drives.  In addition, the cumulative friction between the shuttles’ hulls and these gasses would be way off the scale of ordinary radiation friction.  Forte and Kree felt that beefing up the deflector power in order to keep the ionized wind from arcing and providing a catalyst for the chain reaction would be impossible, and a few of the scientists she had brought along worked out the tedious quantum physics and agreed after two hours of furious argument.  Negatively ionizing the hulls came to mind next, but that was dismissed as far too risky.  Shield modulation, impulse mixtures, and going back to the ship to retrieve Gordon so that he could solve the problem were all suggested and dismissed out of hand.

Finally, Lieutenant Shin had an idea Okuma liked.  “I can warp directly into orbit around Cove-3.  Subspace doesn’t have ionized particles, so we can travel freely about the system that way,” Sophia pointed out.

            “But you’ll be positively charged once you drop back into real space,” Forte pointed out.

            “That won’t matter if I drop into the atmosphere and gain a negative charge from the friction,” Shin reasoned.

            Forte turned to Okuma and eyed her skeptically.  “Risky,” he declared.

            Sam considered this carefully.  “That short of a precision jump is possible isn’t it?” she asked Forte.

            Darin looked unhappy, but nodded.  “I’d prefer to do it myself in case something went wrong, and I’ll insist Kree calculate the jump.”

            Shin was irate, “I can calculate a jump this short, Darin!” she barked.

            Forte was remarkably calm.  In a soothing tone, he pointed out, “You’ll be emerging less than a hundred kilometers away from a hard body.  You can’t tell me that isn’t dangerous.”

            “We used to do this back at the Academy all the time in simulations,” Shin protested.

            Sitting back and listening to even a brief moment of bickering, Okuma understood Koon’s admonition to her two weeks ago when she and Gordon had started arguing.  What had he said?  “I’ll tolerate disagreements, but mindless bickering I’ll not stand for,” or something like that.  From her point of view, she liked to hear her people tinkering with the idea from all angles, but she had to admit getting all hot and bothered only wasted time.  Leadership was a bitch, but it was a set of dilemmas she had trained for.  Trouble was the problem seemed to be an engineering problem rather than a command problem.  A leader made decisions and acted on them, an engineer acted primarily as a technical problem solver, and a scientist gathered data to draw conclusions.  Sam had two of the three classes of specialists with her, but what she needed was a problem solver, not decision makers or data analysts.

            Samantha Okuma had joined Starfleet at the tender age of sixteen for one reason alone: Command.  She longed to be in charge, but she was strangely content to play second fiddle to Captain Koon.  The explanation for this was hard for her to describe.  Certainly, she was a very young and ambitious officer, but she valued Peyter’s trust over her desire for her own ship.  He had a way of turning her efforts into positive action she found energizing and inspiring.  In many ways, he represented a paternal figure in her life.  At the root of his appeal was what he offered her from the start: the chance for exploration.  Okuma’s idols were from history; namely: the great explorers from Columbus, Cook, and Perry, to Archer, Pike, and Kirk.  Koon offered her a chance to place herself among the pantheon of these great names and a crack at wonders they barely dreamed of.  So far, that promise had been of the most prosaic quality only.

            …That is until now.  Cove was a gold mine of wonders dazzling to behold and fascinating to consider.  Okuma considered her options and noted all of them were efforts to reach the inner planets on a conventional approach from this side of the system.  Maybe exploring the system from the outside inward would prove more constructive than sitting around arguing about how to take the direct rout.  After all, she had all these shuttles, why not have them spread out and look around?  “I think we’ll rule out the direct path to Cove-3 for now, people.  Split up into pairs and work around the outer belts.  We have a week to figure this out; we might as well survey the site before we start experimenting with ways to penetrate the system.”

            There were grumbles from Shin and a young doctor named Turner who was with her in her shuttle, but the rest of the flight saw the sense of this and started spreading out and scanning away.  There were many ambitious, young Lieutenants scattered about the crews (Koon had promoted the last Ensign aboard the ship to a junior Lieutenant a year ago) and they were eager to do something now that they were here.

            That left Okuma and Darin with nothing more to do than watch the pairs of shuttles fly off in nine different directions skirting Cove’s limit of influence.  For the better part of the day Sam stayed busy compiling data and forwarding it to the half a dozen scientists she brought along.

            Forte resolved to get some sleep and take over the job when Sam had to nod off later on.  Much to the amusement and annoyance of everyone trying to talk to Okuma, Forte began snoring so loud he could be heard over the com traffic.  She had to resort to a trick she had learned during the past week to silence him, but she held off as long as she could out of embarrassment.  When she could stand it no longer, she shut off the com gear, walked back to the cot Darin and she had shared all week, and nibbled his ear until he rolled over on his other side.  The snores stopped at once, and Sam felt a pang of amusement she knew this much about the man.  When she came back to the com gear, it was to the tune of snide, knowing snickers and giggles.

            She managed to get things moving along again, but she guessed the secret about Darin and her was out.  It would have been nice to have a bit longer alone with him without the threat of judgment from others, but there was no real harm done.  She noted everyone seemed friendlier than before.  While Starfleet formalities were observed all day, the tone everyone used with her was far more relaxed and more conversational than before.  She discovered she liked things this way.  In the past she had to pry information out of people with a series of directed questions; however, everybody volunteered information freely all day.  By the time Darin awoke, the com channel sounded like a round-table discussion about Cove, Pioneer, approach vectors, ionization, and how much time they had to scour the system.

            “You’ve been busy,” Forte said as he plopped down in the seat next to hers.  “Anything I should know about?”

            “We can move to just inside the orbit of the second gas giant so long as we give that planet a wide berth,” Sam explained.  “The ionization drops off a great deal past that.”

            “Is it uniform?” Forte asked.  Solar systems tended to scatter their material in elliptical hoops around the star.  This meant that the orbits of planets were littered with detritus that had settled into line with the planet’s path around the star.  Consequently, all the laws of physics dependant upon matter to operate, such as ionization and static discharges, were localized into bands around the star not unlike a cross section of an onion.  The Sol system was a fairly mature one and much of the distinction between the orbits had been broken down to a few stray asteroids and dust clouds.  In less settled systems the various orbits around the star could be so choked with debris as to make practical navigation impossible without a circuitous, tortured rout through a minefield of rocks, dust and explosive gasses.

            “It seems so.  Cabrillo is rhapsodizing about the ‘dispersion curve’ or something like that, so don’t broach the subject with him unless you want an earful,” Sam warned.  The astronomer had been animated for the majority of the day.  The more he saw of Cove the more he wanted to see, and he was burning up the short-range frequencies between the shuttles trying to observe as much as he could.  The one time Sam had casually asked a question about Cove-6, the boy had babbled on for ninety minutes before Kree managed to shut him up with a brisk slap to the back of his head.

            “Nice to see the kid in his element,” Forte yawned.

            Sam gave him a sidelong glance.  “You don’t know the half of it.”

            Darin shook off the lingering sleep in his eyes and focused on the controls.  He tapped a few keys, studied the data presented for a minute or two, then seemed to freeze as his professional eye spotted something in the data.  “Who’s on the polar approaches?” he asked.

            “Shin and Taylor on the south magnetic pole of the star and Greer and T’Alio on the northern approach,” Sam replied after a moment’s consideration. “Why?”

            Darin did not answer right away.  Instead, he ran a series of test approaches through the navigation computer.  After a long pause he asked, “Is Kree awake?”

            “She nodded off about two hours ago,” Sam answered.  “Did you see something out there?”

            “Maybe,” Forte said slowly as if the idea in his head might get out of his skull if he pounced on it too quickly, “I guess it’s time for Sophie to test her mettle.”  He keyed the com channel and told Sophia some specific vectors to fly in towards the star.

            “May I ask what all that was about?” Sam asked him.

            “We’ll know in a few hours, Commander,” Forte replied reverting to his role as a helmsman as he applied his mind to the problem.

            Sam almost flinched at being called “Commander” again, but she was too tired to care much by now.  Wearily she stood from her seat and stretched her cramped limbs.  She was so preoccupied with getting back to the cot and collapsing; that she bent down and kissed Darin without thinking while the com was on before shuffling back to the cot.  In a few minutes, she was snoring quietly leaving Darin to explain to he fellow officers what had just happened.

            Shin was the first to comment on the display.  “Making points with the boss, Forte?” she asked in a playful challenge.

            “I think he already scored his points, Sophie,” Lieutenant Howard Greer chuckled from his shuttle on the other side of the system.

            “Scandalous!” Shin giggled.  “Old Dragon Sam has a thing for our dashing, young helmsmen.”

            “Cut it out, Sophie,” Forte chided gently, “Samantha and I…”

            “So it’s ‘Samantha’ now!” Shin giggled triumphantly.  “My, my but you’ve been a naughty boy!”

            Forte sighed.  The secret was out.  He had been able to keep it for only a week much to his disgust, but it appeared the feeling around the crew was one of amusement.  Hardly a demoralizing effect.  Sam had been worried the others would see their relationship in terms of the favoritism it could generate, but that appeared not to be the case.

            That suited Darin Forte just fine because he was not about to stop his relationship with Samantha.  If she had cared to ask, he’d had his eye on her for years.  He had noticed the lovely woman the day he had come aboard, but compared to what came later, that first meeting was very dim and diffuse.  He had managed to dismiss her from his mind with the ease any young man can substitute one pretty face for another.  However, the more he found out about Okuma, the more she appealed to him.  He liked getting her to drop her guard because every part of the process was alluring.  Her guard tantalized him with what it held beneath the veneer of self-control and self-denial.  The actual dropping of her guard revealed her bawdy sense of humor.  Moreover, the unguarded version of Samantha Okuma was kind, loving, achingly tender woman any man would cherish like cool water in a dry and dusty land.  He gradually developed a desire to enfold her in his arms and bury his face in her straight, black hair, and he had indulged this impulse for the better part of the last week.

            That aside, Forte was the senior Lieutenant on the scene and being called a “naughty boy” undermined his authority.  Not that he was thin-skinned, Darin could take a jibe gracefully, but there was work to be done.  “Sophia, what did you find out your way?”

            “Trying to derail the painful stabs, Darin?” Shin asked.

            “Just trying to get things done, Lieutenant,” he temporized.  “I’ve got a new heading for you if you’re ready.”

            That got her moving.  Shin occasionally made a passing comment about Okuma, but Forte kept her busy for the next two hours weaving around particles densities towards the solar South Pole.  Greer at the North Pole conducted an identical survey and Darin’s input kept all the other shuttles busy with their flying for hours until he was satisfied he had something.

            “Sophia, start in towards the third planet between the density bands.  Try to find a gap in the solar wind and ride it to the Van Allen belts.  Howard, you do the same from the North Pole, only I want you to head towards the second planet.”  Time to start scouting the dangerous territory, Forte thought.  He glanced back at Samantha.  She had told him about her admiration for the great explorers during their time alone.  It seemed a shame she was not giving the orders to penetrate the system, but the data in front of him supported the timing.  In addition, the possibility to explore the system from the perspective the planets surveyed was a temptation not to be denied.  They needed to find a safe orbit for the ship when it arrived, and he was willing to cut any corner within reason to find it.  The clock was ticking.  When Koon arrived, Gordon had assured everyone the warp core would be completely spent.  Darin judged that Cove had to offer a safe place to repair Pioneer or they would all die; consequently, that place had to be found.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            “Who are you?” the Hirogen chieftain growled at the image.

            Standing inside an action-capture chamber Captain Semmes couldn’t suppress a smile.  “I am aboard Pioneer.  You don’t need to know more than that,” she said.

            The Hirogen man glared back at her.  “Your manners need immediate improvement, blood-sack,” he snarled.

            “Your gratitude needs an overhaul!” Semmes countered sharply.

            “Tapping into our net is a violation of our privacy, blood-sack, don’t expect me to thank you for the intrusion into my sacred institutions,” the Chieftain said.

            Semmes managed not to giggle.  Baiting these so-called “master hunters” was childsplay.  Their pride was so fragile.  The Chieftain was in over his head already, and Semmes had barely introduced herself.  “You’re asking the wrong questions, my friend,” Semmes said coolly.

            “Who you are and what you want are basic courtesies in my culture, blood-sack,” the Chieftain snapped.  “This intrusion into my communication net is unforgivable I might add.”

            “What I want should be obvious, Chieftain Gnan,” Semmes purred, “I want to live.”

            Gnan started as if stung when she mentioned his name.  Even through his alien features, the question was clear on his face.  How does this stranger know who I am?  He recovered quickly but his manner shifted from offended to suspicious.  “You have a strange way of looking out for your life,” he said.  “Just by intruding into our net, you have lessened the days you will run from us.”

            “On the contrary, I offer something you would cherish, Gnan.  Hirogen are not opposed to an exchange are they?” Semmes asked.

            Gnan was fully put off his guard by this turn of the conversation.  While he was accustomed to prey trying to bargain for their lives, they had never sought out Hirogen ships to address their pleas.  The Hirogen net was too adept at triangulating signals to make this kind of ploy any more than suicidal and everyone the Hirogen was familiar with understood that.   “An exchange?” he asked.

            “I offer you the hunt of your life,” Semmes announced.  “I’ll even offer the perfect bait.”

            “Bait is for the unimaginative!” Gnan scoffed.  It was a long standing tradition in Hirogen lore that bait was tool of second-rate or desperate hunters.  A true Hirogen stalked and tracked his prey with a plethora of skills learned over a lifetime.  The art, and worth, of a hunt came by beating the prey at their own game.  Luring prey was the realm of Trappers and unbecoming of a Hunter to indulge in.  Hunter’s stalked, tracked, and struck at prey, and any comparison to a Trapper was stab at Hirogen ego.  Gnan surveyed the faces of his crew and discovered they agreed with equal measure to his view.  Some even looked disgusted at the very notion of bait.

            Semmes was a little taken aback at the rebuke.  She was not a seasoned hunter to be sure, but to carelessly cast away her offer on such a trivial detail struck her as guiless nonsense.  Also she hadn’t been snapped at or so much as contradicted since she had taken command of the Diocletian and the words stung with surprising force.  She hated being scoffed at, and she felt an unwelcome sense of humiliation swell in her chest.  She didn’t allow her emotions to surface, however, and proceeded coolly with her presentation.  “The Pioneer has 815 trained combatants skilled in escape and evasion, Chieftain.  I would imagine such a prize would be worth your whole-hearted interest.”

            Gnan regarded the image on his viewer with undisguised skepticism.  “Yet here you stand offering away your position,” he pointed out.  “Your skill at hiding seems fatally flawed.”

            How blessed I am to have such idiots to match myself against, Angela Semmes gloated inwardly.  Gnan had just given away control of the dialog and he lacked the wit to know it.  “Very well, Gnan, where am I?” she teased.

            Gnan turned to his com officer and his master tracker.  They glanced at their stations to confirm what they had told Gnan before he answered the mysterious hale, and promptly did double takes.  When they didn’t look back at Gnan for a full minute, the Chieftain knew his rude caller had every right to feel secure facing him in such a fearless way.

            “Having fun with your sensors, Gnan?” Semmes laughed.

            “All Hirogen will hunt you down for this offense, blood-sack!” Gnan barked.  “Disrupting our net is…”

            “…Unforgivable?” Semmes interrupted cheerfully.  She allowed a sliver of anger to stab into her words as she announced, “I don’t care, Gnan.  I am in control of our dealings, Hirogen, and if you expect me to respect your customs you shall be sadly disappointed.  We will deal, and it will be on terms I dictate!  IS THAT CLEAR?”

            Gnan laughed.  “Why should I deal with you?”

            “Because there are 815 hunts you haven’t indulged in being offered to you,” Semmes said patiently.  “If my research is correct that is four times the number of hunts your entire crew has been on.  What would you offer for such a prize?”

            Gnan was quite understandably suspicious and mulled over the offer for a while before answering.  “In exchange for your life,” he said at last, “You will give us the crew of the ship that destroyed Lord Heartshock’s vessel?”  He sounded both eager and skeptical.

            Semmes managed not to giggle with delight.  The Hirogen wore their feelings on their sleeve, as the old saying went, and by doing so could be easily led about by someone like herself who had the skill to exploit it.  “I have a plan that will grant you a prize to savor for months and years to come,” she said.

            “Go on,” Gnan said.  “And what is this so-called ‘perfect bait’ you speak of?”

            Inside the motion-capture chamber Semmes motioned at her lithe figure.  “Why me of course,” she said cheerfully.

            What Gnan and his people saw was the image of Lieutenant David Cabrillo offering himself up to the most dangerous power in the 3KPC arm.  Looking at his innocent face and listening to his young voice filled Gnan with a desire to hack the boy’s spine from his back.  A detailed approximation of the human’s anatomy was already being studied for the most striking trophy by everyone on the ship.  Still the offer was tempting; irresistible, if Gnan were honest with himself.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Semmes gave the Hirogen Chieftain what little data they had on Pioneer’s trail and signed off.  The plan was for the Hirogen to lure Koon into a confrontation he couldn’t win.  If that meant he and his crew were scattered about dozens of planets to be hunted down like elk, so much the better.  The evidence would be so effectively obscured, Semmes would never be linked to the tragedy.  Angela knew Koon from a scant few assignments in the past along with her years pursuing him to the Core.  She knew how proud he was of his people and he would agree to anything to preserve just a single life.  Her reasoning was to let the Hirogen capture one or two of his officers, lure him into a squadron of Hirogen ships and force him to give up Pioneer to save their lives.  Janeway had done as much a time or two with Voyager, and Semmes felt Koon could be made to fall into line.

            The puppeteer project had certainly been successful as far as she was concerned.  The use of David Cabrillo’s image stemmed from the wealth of information Cabrillo had provided over the years.  Of everyone aboard Koon’s command, young Cabrillo was the most diligent correspondent with those in the Federation.  Semmes knew this because her people had captured and responded to all his letters for five years.  The “Cabrillo department” had grown to a staff of ten overworked officers in Semmes’ signals section.  How the boy managed to produce such an extravagant volume of mail by himself was nothing short of extraordinary, but it also gave Semmes and her people the clearest picture of any mind they knew under Koon’s command.  Why the boy was so voluble was pretty clear: he was an outcast.  He never spoke of a friend, never referred, never deferred, to a colleague, spoke longingly of home at every opportunity, and was beginning to gripe about being underappreciated.  Had Cabrillo been a part of Semmes’ crew he might have been pushed to suicide by now, but somehow Peyter Koon fostered an environment a shy boy like David Cabrillo could manage in without undue agony.  It was only a short leap of logic to attach bitter resentment to his character.  In this way, Semmes planned that if the Hirogen somehow blabbed how they found Pioneer to Koon; the finger pointing would be directed inward rather than her way.  Perfect planning from all angles, she thought.

            “Are we ready to reengage the cloak?” Semmes asked as she stepped out of the motion-capture chamber.

            King nodded.  He was convinced this project would be the undoing of Diocletian, but his Captain was not the sort to listen to that just now.  Semmes was the sort of officer who preferred to have what she called “positive control” of her command.  What it meant in practical terms was that she built a pyramid command structure with her at the top.  Any action her crew took while on duty was under her close, if not always direct, scrutiny.  That left King with a huge administrative workload, and very little input in the doings of the ship.  That irritated his sensibilities greatly since all the other great Executive Officers, and indeed Captains, in Starfleet history were the product of a successful collaboration between Captain and First Officer.  His role as a sounding board was nil and his input regarded with contempt by Semmes.  She would listen to his suggestions but only if it represented a department and only if he forwarded it in executive session.  Instead of playing an active part in the running of the ship, Commander King found himself in the dual role of Executive assistant and amateur councilor to all the ill will Semmes generated against her.  He would present information in an orderly way and insulate Semmes from the crew and the crew from Semmes insofar as he could manage.  He took immense pride in how high the moral of the crew was since Semmes had almost no role in promoting it.  He was convinced the crew would mutiny in short order without him, but King was a true believer in the mission and a believer in Captain Semmes.  She was a horrible, not to say cruel, woman, but she was a fine ship’s Captain.

            King was blinded by his faith in Section-31 to the larger issues at hand.  The reason why he would have to wear this millstone that was Angela Semmes about his neck instead of commanding the Diocletian himself never occurred to him to consider.  From the conversations he eavesdropped in on with Admiral Forrestal and Semmes, his Captain was firmly footed in reality while the rest of Section-31 was preoccupied with the larger objectives of this mission: namely controlling the Dominion.  Admiral Forrestal and Admiral Richelieu felt the Dominion War was bound to be lost in the Alpha Quadrant and had to be won in the Gamma Quadrant and were thereby sending virtually all their heavy assets to the Gamma Quadrant by the circuitous rout of the Galactic Core thus opening up a front the Dominion was unable to defend against.  Semmes vehemently argued they had no way of knowing this to be true, but took the assignment anyway since she figured she, as a skeptic, would prosecute the campaign with more methodical care than the distant Admirals back on Earth.  King had to agree with his Captain.  He knew her to be an effective, downright vicious tactician, and a far-thinking strategist, so if she was a total bitch on the side, that was the least of his worries and had to be borne to maintain civility.

            The trouble was this Pioneer tangent their mission couldn’t seem to solve.  Koon and his ship had to die.  Section-31 had to remain forever blameless.  It had to happen here in Hirogen territory since they were the only ones ever to face down the Borg effectively.  Semmes had argued many times that direct action against Koon by her command would net two of the three conditions of a successful mission requirements, but Forrestal was adamant all three had to be fulfilled in order to take action.  Appeals to Richelieu had yielded nothing but requests for mission requirements and an increased administrative workload: something Semmes hated above all things in life next to Peyter Koon himself by now.

            And so they remained sidetracked out in the armpit of the Galaxy hunting and scheming to destroy one lousy Nebula-class ship six years from her nearest port of call that was apparently oblivious to the forces arrayed against her.  Or so King and Semmes thought.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            M’rath couldn’t credit Koon’s trust.  From his point of view, he deserved summary execution, but for some reason Captain Koon had airily dismissed that idea out of hand.  Not only was he still breathing, but also he was out of his cell.  To add to his consternation, Koon was staring at him over his desk in his office!  The Romulan was forced to sink to new levels of astonishment when he learned what this man wanted from him.

            “Lieutenant, Commander Speer and I agree something is wrong with this mission,” Koon explained.  “This trip has been too hard, too long, and too costly on all points to grant adequate credit for.  Your role in the difficulties we’ve experienced has been shown to be marginal if not nonexistent after a careful study of your effects and duties.   I want you to discover why we are having such a hard time of things.”

            “Meaning what?” M’rath asked suspiciously.

            “We want you to take over the counterintelligence branch of security,” Speer said standing next to Koon.  “Signals, research, anything you can think of to safeguard this ship and this crew.”

            “We would like you to start going over the communications, private and otherwise we’ve been sending and receiving from Starfleet,” Koon explained.  “We discovered the three levels of encryption you used to communicate with your Romulan controllers, and we are impressed enough with your work we feel you would be ideal to spot this sort of thing elsewhere in the system.”

            “Tylan and I used five levels of encryption,” M’rath confessed.

            Speer heaved a great sigh, and Koon’s careworn face split into a grin.  “Told you he’d fess up,” Koon chuckled.

            “I’m not trained to expect that, Captain,” Speer protested.

            Koon turned back to M’rath and admitted, “You just passed a mild test in flying colors, Lieutenant.  Congratulations.”

            “There were a total of seven layers of encryption possible, but the last two Tylan and I never used since it was obvious we were undetected,” M’rath explained.  “There is also an alternate set in the event of discovery.”

            “Like now?” Speer almost spat.  Clearly, he maintained the healthy degree of suspicion so lacking in his Captain.  M’rath did not blame him for an instant.

            “Yes, like now,” M’rath allowed calmly.  “But I’m willing to explain the codes to you an any degree of detail you may wish if that will secure your trust, Captain, Commander,” he said with a differential nod to each man in turn.

            “Trust will be a major issue here,” Speer warned.

            “I am fully aware of that, sir, but I must admit I’m a little confused what you want me to look for in the message traffic,” M’rath said.

            “We’re not sure either, Lieutenant,” Koon said unhappily.  “Anything is possible at this stage, but why don’t you start with the current mission objectives.  The message from Admiral Forrestal sending us to find Voyager is the last one we received from Starfleet.  From an operational standpoint it’s a staggering coincidence this news should arrive right as our primary mission was supposed to begin.”

            “That’s thin,” M’rath said skeptically, “but it is more than a little odd I suppose.  Is there anything I’m not allowed to see?”

            “Just work closely with Commander Speer, and I’m more than comfortable with you snooping about, Lieutenant.  One ground rule I must insist upon is the need for complete discretion where personal matters are concerned.  Most likely, you’re going to see some things best left private.  Do you understand?” Koon said.

            M’rath had no way of knowing it, but Koon already had a fair idea of the sort of things M’rath was about to find.  Okuma, reluctant gossip that she was, was a very proficient gossip just the same, and had filled Koon in on all sorts of goings on around the ship in no small detail.  Koon found much of this talk as distasteful as Okuma did, but he saw the utility in it just as his First Officer did.  Foremost in his mind was a number of affairs circulating about the ship including a fairly bitter one that had ended only recently with the demise of Lieutenant Commander Garrett and the Lassen’s Cutoff.  He had gone through this sort of thing before as a First Officer, but prying into the private lives of others went against his nature even if he rarely, if ever, acted upon the information he found.  People told those they corresponded with things they did not blurt to the person next to them and vise-versa, and the impression one got from seeing both sides of this equations was how duplicitous good manners and private opinions made everybody.

            For his part, the Romulan imagined all sorts of political and military secrets displayed for his casual perusal.  A few weeks ago and a lifetime gone by M’rath would have jumped at the opportunity.  Now he could only imagine anything he would rather do to sate his conscience instead of this chore.  “How worried are you, Captain?” he asked hoping this was merely an exercise he could duck.

            Koon assumed a grave expression that added years to his appearance.  For the first time, M’rath noticed the man’s hair was graying at the temples ever so slightly.  The toll of his responsibility was clearly displayed in the man etched in well-acquainted, bitterly earned, lines of care and stress across his face.  M’rath could almost see the man slump down in his chair and hear the wheezing breath of elderly lungs from across the desk.  “My people are dead and dying, Mr. M’rath,” Koon said with quiet gravity.  “My ship is broken, and I’ve been forced to run and hide from an enemy that wants the skulls of my crew for trophies.  I’m frantic with worry, and you should be as well.  We have no resources but each other, and I’m wondering why Starfleet would allow this to happen to us.”

            “You ordered the Lassen’s Cutoff into the Great Barrier, Captain.  Starfleet ordered us to abandon the Core,” M’rath said.

            “They also ordered us deeper into territory barren of resources,” Koon countered.  “Even after discussing it with Okuma at length, it strikes me as too capricious an order to make any sense especially since no mention was made of a fresh mission to meet us once we started on our way home.”

            “That’s all?” M’rath asked incredulously.

            “That’s enough to warrant looking into the matter with a skilled eye,” Koon said.

            The Romulan rubbed his chin thoughtfully.  For once, all that nonsense he had been forced to soak up about logic and learning appealed to him.  If nothing else, Vulcan habits were fantastic tools to order one’s thoughts.  Add to that, the Romulan flair for conspiracy and Koon’s concerns bloomed into several possible operational designs in short order.  In fact, the possibilities assaulted M’rath’s mind with a blow not unlike one he had exchanged with Heartshock no so long ago.  Most of the operations his mind envisioned were totally dependant upon the flow of information, and he knew he had to shut that flow down if he expected to protect Pioneer.  “We need to dismantle the com system,” M’rath announced after a long moment.

            Koon and Speer exchanged a look of surprise.  “Dismantle it?” Speer asked as if he had not heard M’rath correctly.

            “Call it a system overhaul, but take it apart and keep it apart until I’ve completed my investigation,” M’rath demanded.

            “Why?” Speer asked.

            M’rath understood Speer’s reluctance for once.  Dismantling the com system was not advisable under any circumstances since there was no telling when they would have to talk to someone.  Patiently M’rath outlined his plans. “If I have to conduct an investigation and actively search for spies and saboteurs, much of my workload will be accomplished by this method.”

            “Meaning?” Speer demanded.

            “Agents are all about information, Commander.  Shut down the flow and the routines that formerly protected them begin to expose themselves.  Personally, I think only Tylan and I were aboard, but if an operation within Starfleet were in place the com system is our only link to the controllers.  Shut the controllers off, and any system they have in place will either expose itself or shut down if our encounter with the flare hasn’t accomplished that already,” M’rath said.

            “Approved,” Koon said.  “I’ll tell Eddie to start right away.  Adam, guard our remaining shuttles with some discreet guards and put our com officer in one of them to keep tabs on our away mission.  We already have a com silence order in effect so that officer shouldn’t be very busy.  Mr. M’rath, I need you to get started.”

            “Aye, sir,” M’rath replied accepting his first order as a full member of the crew.  As he walked from Koon’s office, he was struck with how eager he was to start this assignment.  He wondered why, and even went so far as to ask Speer who was taking him to his new post in the security locker.

            Speer seemed puzzled by the question.  “Your motivation is a complete mystery to me, Romulan,” he growled unhappily.

            M’rath found himself wanting this man as a friend.  His stubborn nature and devotion to his Captain was admirable in Romulan society, and M’rath could imagine himself taking his ease over drinks swapping stories with Speer without much effort.  M’rath’s own father would have taken an instant liking to the man for these reasons and dubbed him, “a worthy enemy,” to use his turn of phrase.  No doubt, it was not going to be an overnight process to earn Speer’s trust, but if M’rath did his new job right, they would have time to sort this out.  “I won’t let you down, Commander,” he announced.  “I’ll earn your trust.”

            Speer stopped and spun about to thrust his face in M’rath’s.  His expression was one of bitter anger, and the cryogenic patch over his eye only made the look more sinister, like a sightless orb shoved hastily in the man’s head to rot his mind with pain and evil thoughts.  “You’ve earned my trust, M’rath,” Speer snarled, “but don’t you dare break it again.”  He leaned back and added with a little less venom, “I tend to take a dim view of that transgression.” 


To Be Continued

Back to Chapter 5
Continue to Chapter 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.