Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Age of Enlightenment"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Enterprise stops at a planet that scans say has at least a million occupants in a single city. After repeated attempts finally make contact and right away things seem off. Is the race xeno-phobic, or is there something else wrong with them?


CHAPTER 2

Two Months Later


Trip paused, feeling three bodies pressing in on him. He looked back over his shoulder at the three Paxeu boys.

“Now...I know you three need to see what I’m doing here, but you have to give me a little breathing room, okay?” Trip asked the boys.

Archer walked past Trip, smiling. The boys apologized to Trip and moved back a little. He looked down at the PADD in his hand, tapping it. The power station was filled with crew teaching the children how to repair and maintain everything from conductor coils and pumps, to replacing floor tiles. Archer’s communicator beeped and he pulled it out, flicking it open.

“Archer.”

“Captain, you need to report the Mossirg residence immediately,” Phlox said.

“What’s wrong?”

“Are you in private?”

“Stand by.” Archer moved to a secluded area. “What happened?”

“Mossirg has passed away, Captain, and no one can find Pex. Apparently he passed leadership on to her last night and she’s been missing since. I just found out about this. The children here are very frightened. They’re asking for you.”

“Me? Why me?”

“Apparently you’ve made a large impression on them. Or rather, your daughter has.”

Archer shook his head with a sigh. “I’ll be right there. Ask crew and Paxeu to start searching for Pex. Archer out.”

Archer flicked the communicator shut and, with a heavy sigh, headed toward the Mossirg residence.

#

Archer looked up when the doorbell of the apartment beeped.

“Come in,” he called, looking back at the dog bowl in his hands.

The door opened as he poured dog food into the bowl and sat it down on the floor for Porthos. Archer crouched down, petting his dog. He was aware that the person was standing behind him and smiled.

“What’s the saying, Pex? Good after dark?”

Archer heard her sniffle. “Yes,” she whispered.

“Good after dark then.”

“Good after dark. I’m in a lot of trouble, aren’t I?”

Archer stood, turning to face her. The crewman that brought her in was watching Archer.

“Better get back to your apartment, Ensign. Heard they were having a big dinner,” Archer told the woman.

She turned and left. Archer looked at Pex.

“Hungry?”

Pex nodded.

Archer walked over to the resequencer and ordered a meal for her. He sat it on the table and then retrieved a pitcher of water and glass that he also sat on the table. Pex sat down at the table and began eating and crying. Archer sat down next to her, watching her for several minutes.

“Why would you be in trouble?” Archer asked her.

“I ran away.”

“Apparently you weren’t planning on staying away. Ensign Paris found you coming back into the city.”

Pex laid her fork down. “I don’t know what I’m doing.”

“How old are you, Pex?”

“Seventeen growing years.”

Archer leaned on the table, watching her. She poked at her food.

“You know, if the circumstances were different and your parents were here, then you might be in trouble for running away. But as it is, you don’t have parents and you aren’t in trouble. Least ways not by me. I’m not here to tell you how to tell you that it’s dangerous to run away or how to govern your people or anything else you should do. I’m just here to help. I made a trade arrangement with Mossirg and I intend on honoring my end of the arrangement.”

“Then why was I brought to you?”

“I want to help you and your people. You’re only seventeen, and I can’t even begin to imagine what it must be like to be responsible for a million people, most of whom are younger than you are.”

“I don’t know why Mossirg didn’t pick one of the older ones. There are six of them that are older than me by one and two growing years.”

Archer smiled. “Let’s see if I remember their names...Axium, Cuil, Helike, Delic, Gomeric, and Morfin. Am I right?”

Pex nodded.

“Axium and Delic are brother and sister and from what I’ve seen so far, they can’t settle disputes real well among themselves. I’ve watched you break up several fights between them since I’ve been here. Cuil hardly ever leaves his computers. He’s buried in them and he doesn’t like people being around him. Helike steals and you can’t trust her, can you?” Archer waited until Pex shook her head. “Gomeric is head of the hunting pack and has his hands full just keeping everyone fed when the resequencers go offline, which is daily. Morfin...I don’t even think I’ve seen Morfin for more than five minutes since I’ve been here. He really keeps to himself.”

Pex nodded.

“And then there’s Pex.”

Pex looked up at Archer.

“As head of security, you took the initiative to train two others to manage security teams and broke you city into districts and began police forces, because that’s what you read in the books in the library. I have seen you stand before your people and tell them both bad and good news, and when you have stood before them, they stop and listen to you.” Archer leaned forward, meeting Pex’s eyes. “You, Pex, are an excellent leader. You have all the natural abilities you need; all you lack is your faith in those abilities. And I have seen you be both just and objective when you’ve dealt with crime among your people. You can do this Pex.”

“But I’m afraid to do it alone. When I was unsure what to do, I went to Mossirg.”

“Then maybe it’s time you formed a cabinet or a senate. Or even chose two or three people you trust to serve as your advisors.”

“What is a cabinet or senate?”

“A cabinet or senate help make decisions and advise you on most decision making. They can speak for your people. You can have as many as you like, but in all the governments I’ve seen that have a senate or cabinet, there’s usually only ten to twenty.”

“You know a lot about governments.”

Archer nodded. “I’ve seen a lot of them since I’ve been out in space and my own world has gone through several types of governments as it’s evolved.”

“Will you teach me about the different governments so I can decide which one is best for my people?”

Archer smiled. “You sound like you’re getting used to this leadership already.”

Pex smiled. “We need to learn how to fly our ships before you go. I know it wasn’t part of the arrangement but could you teach us?”

“I can arrange that, however, I wouldn’t advise you leaving the planet until most of your people are much older. I’ve met some questionable races out there and they would take advantage of your people because they’re so young. And you might attract the attention of the aliens that took your parents, too.”

Pex looked at Archer. “I’ll keep it in mind, but we have to learn how to use the technology our parents left us.”

“We’ll see what we can do, Pex. Finish your supper and then you’d better get over to Mossirg’s. The chi... His caretakers are pretty upset still.”

“You still see us as children?”

“I’m sorry. It’s hard not to.”

Pex smiled. “Someday you won’t.”

“Someday,” Archer promised.

Pex resumed eating.


Four Months Later


“Captain’s Log, November twenty-fifth, two-thousand fifty-nine,” Archer started, sitting back in the pilot seat of the shuttle pod. He looked outside. Navta and two other children were playing with Porthos and Resh. “It’s been a long three months but tomorrow we’re leaving Paxeu. I think that Doctor Phlox has enjoyed his time the most. He’s delivered twenty-five babies since we’ve been here, two of which are named after him, and he’s inducted several Paxeu and crewwomen as midwives. He hasn’t quit smiling since he’s been here. The rest of the crew and myself are worried about the children’s future. We worry mostly that the aliens that took their parents may return for them one day, before they learn how to defend themselves. Several crew have mentioned wanting to take them with us or relocate them, but we can’t take a million or better aboard Enterprise,” Archer smiled, “and they love Paxeu as much as we love Earth. This is the home they grew up on.”

Archer rested his head back against the pilot’s seat. “They were curious about our Thanksgiving ritual, as they called it, and joined us in celebration. We have influenced the growth of their culture, as T’Pol has told me countless times since we’ve been here. But how can you not when the culture consists of children, with not one any older than nineteen? My worry is eased a little knowing that they have a good leader and Pex has done a great job setting up a hybrid monarchy with a senate made up of fourteen members to advise her. She doesn’t want to rule until her death, but for now she feels it’s the best way to set up the government and it’s similar to what used to exist. I may not agree with her choice of government, but I’ve tried hard to remain a neutral observer while she’s built it from scratch. I’m sending this log with my report to Starfleet to ask that other human vessels stop in to check on the Paxeu children and help assure their safety.” Archer paused, debating if there was anything more he wanted to add. “Computer, end log.”

The computer beeped.

“And what about hoping that the Paxeu never decide to go after the aliens that kidnapped their parents and families?” a voice said behind Archer.

Archer turned the chair. Trip was sitting in the navigator seat, leaning on his legs and watching his hands. Archer let his head roll to the side, staring at the controls on the wall.

“I hope they don’t, but we can’t stop them. If we were in their situation, we’d probably have a strong urge for vengeance too.”

Trip looked out the hatch. He smiled a little, watching three boys playing a game that looked a lot like ‘Keep Away.’

“Crew’s torn between wanting to stay here with them and continue on our mission,” Trip said. “Has Lycos found you?”

Archer shook his head.

“He’s looking for you. Drista’s been hugging everyone so you can guess what it’s about.”

“They don’t have a doctor here. He’d told me yesterday he was going to talk to Drista about staying and starting a medical school.”

“That takes a lot of guts.”

“Xerrix, Ryce and Sisyl want to stay too. Sisyl fell in love. Ryce wants to help their security and Xerrix found himself some followers for his religion. He’s going to at all the monasteries in the area to see if any are suitable. Malcolm told me that Vardee’s been taking all this pretty hard.”

Trip smiled a little. “We’re losing crew, Jon.”

“They have a right to stay. They’re part of our crew, but they aren’t part of Starfleet. I can’t order them to return.”

“No. You can’t. That’ll leave us with Vardee, the twins, Brila and half-pint,” Trip said.

“Yes. That’s all. Going to be quiet with just Amy and Navta. They don’t get into as much trouble.”

“Have you asked Navta if she wants to stay?”

“I didn’t get to finish the question before she started yelling and crying, telling me I was her dad and she wasn’t leaving me until she was old and gray. Remind me never to ask her that question again.”

Trip smiled. “I’ll try to remember that.”

Archer stood, walking to the hatch. He leaned on the hull, watching Paxeu playing in the grass that had almost taken over the landing pad.

“I feel like we’re just abandoning them,” Archer said.

“We’re not. They know how to contact us. We’d come back in a heartbeat if they called for help. You know we would.”

Archer smiled, looking at Trip. “Like a whole ship of moms and dads, huh?”

Trip chuckled, standing and joining Archer at the door. “Or brothers and sisters, if you want to put a little space in the relationship.”

“Yeah. I like that better.”

The two fell silent, watching the Paxeu.

#

Archer stared at the view monitor.

“We’re ready to depart, sir,” Travis said.

Archer continued staring at the view monitor. The bridge crew turned, looking at him. On the screen, blue and white Paxeu hung before them. It looked no different than when they’d arrived, but his attachment to it had grown considerably.

“Captain,” T’Pol said.

Archer didn’t look away.

“Captain Archer.”

Archer looked at her.

“Captain, what are your intentions?” T’Pol asked.

Archer looked back at the screen.

“Hail her,” Archer told Hoshi, rising to his feet.

Pex appeared on the screen. “Yes?” she asked.

Archer smiled. “We’re ready to depart. Is everything okay down there?”

Pex smiled. “Full of tears and long faces, but otherwise well.”

“You know how to contact us if you need anything. Don’t hesitate.”

“I will do so.”

“Good.” Archer swallowed the lump forming in his throat. He smiled. “Take care of your people, Pex.”

“I will, Jonathan. Thank you for all your help.”

“Good-bye.”

Pex smiled slyly. “Not good-bye, Jonathan. We never say good-bye anymore.”

Archer laughed. “See you in the ‘morrow.”

“See you in the ‘morrow.”

The transmission ended. Archer sank into his chair.

“Are we ready to depart?” Archer asked.

“Yes, sir,” Travis said. “Engines are online and running at one hundred percent capacity, sir.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

Travis looked back at him. “I know, Captain. Any other answer would be a lie, sir.”

“Put us back on course, Travis. Quick. Before we change our minds.”

Travis engaged the engines and jumped to warp, leaving Paxeu behind.


Back to Chapter 1

This series continues in Nuggets

The next Tweens story is In Good Time

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.