Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"All Things Considered"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: There are some things that are the same across the universe, even for captains learning never stops, everyone can appreciate a skinny dip, and sometimes just hearing your love's voice is enough.


Learning Anew (2)

Stepping out of the shuttle pod the crew was greeted with sunlight and fresh air. Hoshi smiled, looking up at the white puffy clouds gliding slowly overhead.

“Hoshi.”

Hoshi looked around at Malcolm. He turned around and Hoshi was greeted with a squeal of glee from Kasbra in the backpack on Malcolm’s back.

“Hi kiddo,” Hoshi said, tapping her nose.

Kasbra laughed, waving her hands in an attempt to catch Hoshi’s hand.

“Can you fix her? I think her leg’s caught.”

Hoshi looked down and gently pulled Kasbra’s leg through the hole and resituated her in the backpack. Kasbra giggled when Hoshi’s hands brushed her neck and tried again to grab Hoshi’s hand. Hoshi smiled.

“Better, Kasbra?” Hoshi asked the child.

Kasbra laughed, waving her fists at Hoshi. Hoshi tapped Kasbra’s nose again, getting a gleeful squeal in response.

“Malcolm, stay with Elizabeth,” Archer said as he walked out of the shuttle pod.

“Yes, sir,” Malcolm replied, crouching down to collect two cases sitting on the ground.

Archer pointed down through the trees, saying, “There was a good spot to make camp down—”

Kasbra’s sudden out burst of screaming and bawling cut Archer off.

“What?” Malcolm asked, looking at her over his shoulder.

“I don’t think Kasbra likes that camping spot, Captain,” Elizabeth joked.

“Guess not,” Archer replied.

“Nonsense. She’s gets fussy when her nap gets interrupted.” Malcolm carefully pulled the pack off and picked his daughter up, cuddling her to his chest. “You’re fine, princess. Hush now.”

Kasbra clung to him as her wails increased in length and volume. Malcolm walked a few steps, talking calmly to her. He turned, unable to force back his embarrassed smile. Archer was crouched by a case, staring at him and didn’t look very amused.

“I’m a sucker for self abuse, sir,” Malcolm told Archer.

“Apparently. We’re going to go set up. Join us when she’s calmed down.” Archer stood and picked up the case.

“Enjoy!” Elizabeth said, walking past Malcolm with Hoshi.

Malcolm watched them disappear into the trees before turning and going back inside the shuttle pod. He sat down in a chair, trying to soothe the child. But Kasbra wasn’t about to be soothed and her crying was making her hot and red in the face.

“Let’s check the diaper, eh?” Malcolm asked her.

He got up and walked over to a bench, pulling the diaper bag sitting at the back to him. Malcolm started to lay Kasbra down and she grabbed his uniform in vice-like fists. She let out a high-pitched cat scream that ended in a hiss. Her tiny claws extended, piecing Malcolm’s uniform and puncturing the skin beneath

“Kasbra, that is enough. Now stop!” Malcolm said in a firm, quiet voice.

Kasbra stopped hissing and clawing, but continued crying. Malcolm laid her down on the bench and she began squirming and kicking, trying desperately to grab a hold of Malcolm when his hands were within reach of hers. Malcolm pulled the diaper off and put on a new one. He gently picked her up, holding her to him.

“Kasbra,” Malcolm gently stroked her face, “What is it, princess? What’s wrong? I’ve never seen you this worked up before, sweetheart.”

Kasbra let out a cat yowl followed by a hiss that renewed screaming and crying.

“Kasb—”

Malcolm looked up when something hit the metal near his head, expecting it to be something one of the crewmen had thrown. He stared for a breath at the arrow embedded into the sparking console in front of him. Malcolm pulled his daughter to his chest and lunged to the back of the shuttle pod. A shadow fell across him and he spun, expecting to see an alien there. Instead it was Archer taking cover just inside the shuttle pod and firing out the hatch. Hoshi and Elizabeth ran in, throwing cases as soon as they entered. Archer reached out and pulled the hatch closed.

“Hoshi, take Kasbra. Malcolm, nav now!” Archer ordered.

Malcolm let Kasbra go when Hoshi pulled her away and ran to the navigation controls.

“Exit course. NOW!” Archer yelled at Malcolm.

“Aye, sir.” Malcolm hastily entered an exit course and the shuttle pod lifted off the ground.

Malcolm looked up at Archer and then back at the two women.

“What happened? Who was firing arrows? I thought scans didn’t show any life down here.”

“This uninhabited planet isn’t so uninhabited, sir,” Hoshi answered, “and they didn’t want company.”

Malcolm looked at Archer. “But the scans didn’t show any life forms.”

“Any humanoid life forms,” Archer corrected.

“They weren’t humanoid?”

“They had eight legs, six arms, five stalks with eyes and mouths,” Elizabeth answered, “I’d say that classifies as non-humanoid, sir. Not to mention they were really, really pissed.”

Malcolm turned, looking back at Kasbra. “Give her here, Hoshi.”

Hoshi got up and handed Kasbra back to Malcolm. Malcolm cuddled her to him, talking quietly to her. She was beginning to calm down, but was a long way from being the happy baby she’d been when they’d landed.

#

“Vardee.”

Sista turned away from the monitor she was working at, smiling at Archer. “Hello, Jon.”

Archer smiled, leaning on the console. “How are things going? Starfleet wants the report on that last planet. Aliens, arrows and all.”

“It almost done.”

“Good.”

Sista leaned forward, smiling, “But you not come to talk about report, yeah?”

“Yes.” Archer smiled, sitting down on a stool next to her. “I don’t know everything about Jit so I’m wondering something about Kasbra.”

“You ask about how she was on planet before attack?”

“Did she know do you think? That they were there?”

“Yes.”

“Yes?”

“Yes.” Sista nodded her head, smiling, “She knew. But baby not talk. Not able to say bad alien attack. She do only thing she know. She cry and get very, very upset. Kasbra not usually hiss and growl like cat. Malcolm say she did. What alien felt upset her much.”

“How is she today?”

“She good. Happy and content.” Sista reached out and made an adjustment to the readings on the monitor. “Daddy’s princess again.”

Archer chuckled at Sista’s joke. “Does she get upset on Enterprise much?”

Sista nodded. “Sometime.”

“When?”

“When crew tense.” Sista stressed the word ‘tense’ by making fists and tensing her face. “Tense like that. Scared. During attacks. She cry sometime when aliens on board if she get near them. Ones that all Jit sense not good. They make her upset.”

“And Jon Nathan?”

“No.”

“He doesn’t?”

“He not feel emotions like Kasbra. He feel like human. I feel it in him.”

Archer looked down. “I guess I have a lot to learn.”

Sista smiled, leaning toward him. “Jonathan, after all time in space you not learn one rule always?”

“What’s that?” Archer smiled.

“Always learn. Never stop. Every asteroid new. Every planet new. Every experience new. Yes?”

Archer nodded. “Yes.”

“Archer to the bridge,” Hoshi called over the ship COM.

“And here I thought I’d get a whole break today!” Archer jokingly complained.

“You K’pan. Never get break. Always on duty.”

“That I have learned, Vardee,” Archer laughed, patting her shoulder. “Have a good day.”

Sista watched him walk away before turning back to her work.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.