Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Arms Wide Open"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: While caught in a blizzard, Sista -- Malcolm's wife -- goes into labor. With a lot of protest, Trip helps Hoshi deliver the babies.


CHAPTER 3

Malcolm and Archer were looking over a schematic on a view screen when T’Pol walked into the Armory.

“...I think we can get more power to it if...”

“There is an emergency,” T’Pol stated.

Everyone in the Armory turned, looking at T’Pol.

“What kind of emergency?” Archer asked.

“Vardee is in labor.”

Malcolm looked at Archer. Archer motioned him to go. Malcolm ran out of the Armory. T’Pol turned, following him out. Archer hurried to catch up to her.

“Say it,” Archer said.

“Say what, Captain?”

“I shouldn’t have sent a pregnant woman on a camping trip.”

T’Pol stopped short and turned, facing Archer. “You shouldn’t have sent a pregnant Jit on a camping trip. Does my saying this appease you?”

“Appease me?”

“I have no doubts that Commander Tucker, Ensign Sato or Vardee Reed will make it through this storm, as will the soon to arrive offspring. And as for Lieutenant Reed, his wife insisted on going despite his attempt to dissuade her. Therefore, I would believe he feels she is the only person responsible to carry blame. The only person that is feeling guilty about this situation is you, sir. And besides, Captain, of all the unfortunate incidents we’ve had happen on away missions, I would have to say this is the least unfortunate. Birthing is a natural process and she is in the care of Trip and Hoshi, who are both capable of handling extreme situations.”

T’Pol turned on her toe and continued toward Sickbay. Archer smiled, shaking his head.

#

“I can’t do this,” Trip said.

“You have to do this,” Hoshi replied.

“Naw. I...no. I can’t do this. Doctor, I can’t do this.”

“You have to do this, Commander,” Doctor Phlox said.

“I can’t...I can’t do this.”

“Trip just do it. I have a husband up here that is about to start chewing on his hand,” Archer said.

Trip closed his eyes. He opened them, looking at Sista and Hoshi.

“Hoshi should do this,” Trip said quietly to Sista.

“DO IT!” Sista and Hoshi yelled at him.

“OKAY! Okay.”

Trip moved down to the end of the sleeping bag and with a grimace helped Sista get her pants off and cover her up with a blanket. Trip knelt down at the end of the sleeping bag.

“Everything, sir,” Hoshi said.

“Now? Couldn’t we--”

“Trip,” Archer said on the communicator.

“If you think this is so easy, why don’t you transport down here and do this!”

“If we could transport anyone down there, Trip, it would be Doctor Phlox and we would have done it a few hundred contractions ago,” Archer came back.

Trip closed his eyes and reached under the blanket and removed Sista’s underwear.

“This is...”

Sista cried out. Hoshi grabbed her hands, letting her squeeze them.

“Breath,” Hoshi said and the two started a set of Lamaze breathing.

“Did you get the medic kit?” Doctor Phlox asked.

“Yeah. Yeah,” Trip glanced at the kit.

“Do you have water?”

“Yeah. And put some on to heat too.”

“You will need to fold out a sterile pad from the medic kit and lay out some equipment.”

“Now? I mean she’s--”

“Two to five hours away from delivering two babies to the world,” Doctor Phlox finished.

Trip picked up the medic kit. “You know what, Jon?”

“What?”

“I’m not going on another camping trip until we get back to earth. I’m just...I’m just swearing them off.”

“This isn’t that bad, Trip,” Archer replied.

“Name me one that hasn’t gone seriously wrong since we’ve left earth?”

“Krital, Hilsao, there was the one day on--”

“Point taken.”

“You’re doing fine, Trip.”

“Remind me of that when I’m about to throw up in an hour or so. You know I hate looking at other people’s blood.”

“You’ll do fine.”

“Okay, doc. Got it out.”

Doctor Phlox started down a list of things to lie out on the pad. Trip sat the kit aside when he was done and sat back on his legs.

“Now you need to tell me how dilated she is.”

“What?”

“You’ll need to put a glove on and--”

“Oh no! No, no, no, no, no. No. I am not. No. There is no way in hell am I sticking my hand--NO!”

“I need to know how dilated she is, Commander.”

“No! I ain’t doing it. Forget it.”

“Here. Take her hand. Switch me places,” Hoshi said.

Trip gladly switched Hoshi places.

“How can I tell how dilated she is?” Hoshi asked.

“It’s going to be a primitive way.”

Hoshi sighed, “Okay.”

Doctor Phlox walked her through.

“Not quite a full fist,” Hoshi said.

“That would be a seven. She can’t start pushing until she’s nine. That would be a full fist and then some.”

“Okay. Sista, did you hear that?” Hoshi said.

Sista nodded. She cried out, grabbing onto Trip’s hands again.

“Breath Sista. Breath,” Hoshi said.

“Good job, Ensign,” Doctor Phlox said.

Hoshi smiled.

“Water,” Sista whispered.

“Can she have water, doc?” Trip asked.

“Small sips.”

Trip reached around and poured a cup of water. He lifted Sista up and helped her drink a sip. Another contraction sent her screaming and grabbing for Trip’s hands. He sat the cup down and grabbed her hands, letting her squeeze them.

“It won’t be much longer,” Trip reassured her.

Sista looked up at him. “Nishta leave.”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

“Promise?”

Trip nodded. “Promise.”

Sista closed her eyes.

“Vardee.”

Sista didn’t respond.

“Vardee,” Trip patted her hand.

“What’s wrong?” Malcolm asked.

“Doc, she passed out.”

“It’s the pain. We’d talked about this.”

“We did?” Trip heard Malcolm ask Doctor Phlox.

“Lieutenant, calm down. It’s goin--”

“CALM DOWN!” Malcolm said. “MY WIFE IS UNCONSCIOUS AND IN THE MIDDLE OF LABOR! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CALM DOWN!?”

“T’Pol, take him out of here and calm him down,” Archer said over Malcolm’s tirade.

Trip heard Malcolm’s voice fade away.

“What’da I do?” Trip asked Doctor Phlox.

“You need to get some smelling salts out of the kit,” Doctor Phlox said. “Keep them nearby and keep her alert. She can’t deliver that baby unless she’s conscious.”

“I’ll get them,” Hoshi said.

Hoshi found the box of smelling salt sticks and handed them to Trip. Trip sat the box down, took one out and snapped it open. Sista began to come around as soon as he began waving half under her nose. She screamed suddenly, grabbing her abdomen.

“Hands,” Trip said, grabbing both of hers.

“It hurt!” Sista screamed.

“I know. I know. But you need to stay with me. Stay with me,” Trip leaned near her. “Vardee, look at me. Look right in my eyes.”

Sista looked at him, starting to cry. Trip smiled, smoothing back her hair.

“I want Malcolm,” Sista whimpered.

“I know. I wish he were here too. But he’s not. It’s just Hoshi and me. So let’s get through this okay? I know it hurts, but you have to talk to me. Tell me about your father.”

Sista sniffed. “He good man.”

“What was good about him?”

“Love me much. Sent me to military so I could help win freedom. Remember when child playing in meadow with him. Above house.”

“Yeah,” Trip reached back and grabbed a towel. He dipped an end in the cup of water and wiped Sista’s face. “Sounds like he loved you. What was his name? You’ve never told me his name.”

“Harik,” Sista closed her eyes.

“Vardee, talk to me honey.”

“It hurt,” Sista whispered.

“I know, but you need to talk to me. Look at me and breath honey.”

Sista looked at him, breathing to ease the pain.

“Good. Good job.”

Sista slowed her breaths.

“I need to see how dilated you are, Vardee,” Hoshi said.

Sista grabbed both of Trip’s hands. She cried out, her hands tightening around Trip’s.

“She’s almost at nine, Doctor,” Hoshi said.

“Good. Good. Keep her breathing.”

“Did you have any brothers or sisters?” Trip asked Sista.

Sista shook her head. She screamed, clutching Trip’s hands tight again.

“That’s our girl. Hold on tight,” Trip said.

“I want it out!” Sista yelled.

“Don’t push, Vardee. You’re not ready,” Doctor Phlox said.

“I want out! I WANT OUT!” Sista screamed.

“Don’t let her push, Trip. Keep her laying down,” Doctor Phlox ordered.

Trip pushed Sista back when she started to sit up and began to stroke her hair.

“No brothers or sisters?”

“Not I know of,” Sista whispered.

“Did you ever have any pets?”

Sista screamed.

“Keep her breathing, Commander,” Doctor Phlox said.

“Vardee, look at me,” Trip said.

Sista looked at him.

“Breath like this,” Trip showed her how to breath and Sista repeated. The contraction slowly subsided.

“Good. Good,” Trip said.

“I want Malcolm.”

“I know. I know you do. But he can’t be here Vardee. You know that.”

Sista groaned, turning her head.

“Vardee, I need you to look at me.”

Sista looked at Trip.

“Vardee, tell me a story. From Varlikon.”

Sista shook her head and passed out.

“Vardee,” Trip turned and snapped a smelling salt stick. He waved it under Sista’s nose.

Sista woke up screaming and trying to push.

“No. No,” Trip said, pushing her back down. “We’re not ready for that yet. Soon though.”

“IT HURT!” Sista screamed.

“I know.”

“Checking again, Vardee,” Hoshi said.

Sista whimpered, clutching Trip’s hands.

“She’s at nine, Doctor Phlox.”

“Now she needs to start pushing. Keep her breathing. Talk to me if you need anything, but for now focus on delivering those twins.”

#

T’Pol turned when someone called her name. She watched a crewman run up to her and Malcolm.

“The storm is moving off. It should be gone in another hour.”

“Thank you.”

T’Pol looked at Malcolm.

“I could use the transporter couldn’t I?” Malcolm asked.

“You can as soon as the storm has cleared. I would suggest using the Diedra’s since the storm will just be ending when you transport down and the filters on Enterprise may cause implications. You need to go find one of Vardee’s crew that can run the transporter.”

Malcolm ran off to find Jokra. T’Pol turned and returned to the Sickbay.

“Where’s Malcolm?”

“The storm is moving off and should be clear in another hour. He went to find one of the Diedra crew to transport him down as soon as it’s clear.”

“Can we transport Sista up here?”

“Not while she’s in labor. And certainly not after the babies are born,” Doctor Phlox said.

“When it’s clear, go down with Malcolm, Doctor.”

“We’re getting help?” Trip asked between Sista’s cries.

“Yes,” Archer answered.

“Thank god,” Hoshi said.

“Go Doctor. Wait at the Diedra with Malcolm.”

“But they may need me.”

“I will patch communications to their transporter room so you can continue until you can transport down,” T’Pol said.

“I’ll be back shortly, Commander and Ensign.”

“Okay,” the two replied.

#

Trip looked over his shoulder when he heard a transport. Malcolm and Doctor Phlox appeared. Trip gladly moved out of the way, letting Malcolm take Sista’s hands. Hoshi moved to the side and assisted Doctor Phlox through the remainder of the delivery.

“One baby out!” Doctor Phlox said and then the cries of a newborn filled the air.

Hoshi quickly cleaned and wrapped the baby in a thermal blanket. She handed it up to Trip.

“What?”

“I need you to hold him.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Trip, there is another one coming. I can’t hold him and help Doctor Phlox.”

Trip took the baby, gingerly curling his arm around the bundle in his arms.

“Take him over near the fire so he can stay warm,” Phlox ordered.

Trip walked over to the fireplace and sat down, staring into the bluish crying face in his arm. Soon the cries of a second baby filled the air. Malcolm quickly spread blankets over Sista and lay down beside her when her body began shaking from exhaustion.

“I love you,” Sista whispered.

Malcolm smiled, kissing her forehead.

“Would you like to hold your daughter, dad?” Hoshi asked.

Malcolm sat up, accepting the child being placed in his arms. He smiled at the girl, holding her so Sista could see the child. Sista smiled.

“We’re going to be here for a little bit longer. We can’t take the children out in this cold,” Doctor Phlox said.

“Get some sleep,” Malcolm said to Sista, brushing hair away from her face.

Sista was already falling asleep.

“This boy has a pair of lungs on him!” Trip said.

“Jon,” Malcolm said.

Doctor Phlox, Hoshi and Trip looked at Malcolm. He was smiling at the girl in his arms.

“You and Sista have chosen names for the children?” Doctor Phlox asked.

Malcolm nodded.

“What are they?” Hoshi asked.

“Jon Nathan and Kasbra Nayel.”

Trip smiled at the boy in his arms. “I know someone who will be happy to hear that name.”


Back to Chapter 2
This series continues in Dough Boys
The next Tweens story is Fork in the Road

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.