Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Borderline"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: Archer discovers Ten-Hut, spoils the kids, and tries to convince the crew he's king, the crew have to answer for a food fight, Trip introduces his girlfriend to the finer points of snowball fights, and alien King Idnd asks Archer's advice on parenting.


The Politics of Fatherhood (6)

“Sato to Archer.”

Archer reached out and tapped the companel without looking up from what he was reading. “Yeah?”

“There is an incoming message for you from King Idnd.”

“Put it through.” Archer sat the PADD in his hand aside. King Idnd appeared on his desk monitor and he smiled. “Greetings, Your Highness.”

“Greetings. I have contacted you to make a request. My son has pointed out to me that we will cross paths twice before you leave my kingdom and has asked if he could spend time with his new friends. Can you guarantee his safety?”

Archer’s pride in his ship and crew almost made him blurt yes, but his parental side kicked in before his mouth replied.

“No. You have seen our technology, Your Majesty, and as much as I believe in my crew and trust my ship, I will not make you a guarantee I cannot keep. We have, unfortunately, come across some aliens that are far more technologically advanced than ourselves, such as yourselves for example.”

“I respect your honesty. Thank you.” King Idnd reached out to end the transmission. Archer watched his limb slowly drift back to his armrest as his eyes bent down.

Archer waited, half wondering if King Idnd was expecting him to end the transmission.

“You act as the child Navta’s parent, do you not?” King Idnd looked back at the screen.

Archer smiled. “It’s turned out that way.”

“You do not wish to act as her parent?”

“When it began, I didn’t. But now that I’ve gotten used to the idea, I couldn’t have it any other way. She’s like a daughter to me.”

“What do you do when she asks you questions you want to say no to but she very much wishes you to say yes?”

Archer felt a little embarrassed and momentarily it kept him from speaking. No one, let alone an alien ruler, had ever asked him about parenting.

“It depends on the question, Your Highness.”

“Take this matter for example.”

“Are you seeking my advice or my opinion, Your Highness?”

“Advice.”

Archer shook his head a little. “I can’t give you my advice. Not on this. He is your son and only you can decide what’s best for him.”

“Mm.” King Idnd’s right eye bent back for a moment and then returned to looking at the screen. “Then I seek your opinion, Captain Archer.”

Archer leaned forward on his desk. “I’m approaching this whole thing like my father raised me, Your Highness. I remember that one of the things he did was let me make mistakes and not make all my decisions for me. If…If I were in your position right now, and it was Navta asking to spend time on an alien ship that could not guarantee her safety, I would be extremely tempted to tell her no. But I think I would say yes, instead. For one, because this may be the last time she’ll get to spend time with her friends and I wouldn’t want to take that away from her. But I think the most convincing thought would be how beneficial it would be for her. She would be forced to deal with cultural difference personally and she would have to deal with any conflicts that might arise because of it without my guidance. She would get to learn about another race and it would enrich her life. That’s my opinion. But I can’t tell you to decide one way or the other, Your Highness.”

The two were silent again. Archer smiled suddenly.

“May I speak frankly, Your Highness?”

“You may.”

“As mad as I’d be for Navta doing what Oodahau did, I would be more proud of her. I was actually impressed with Oodahau taking the initiative to contact us and he was very diplomatic through most of the conversations with Hoshi. As much as I’d expect a child his age to be.”

King Idnd straightened his upper torso. Archer thought he’d offended the alien and responded by tensing.

“I am proud of him.”

Archer relaxed, offering a smile.

King Idnd’s head bobbed. “I am angry with him lying to me and not telling me he was contacting aliens, but I am more over proud of him. He is my sixth son, but of all my sons, he has shown more promise of being ruler one day than they have. This incident has proven it even more. I was proud of his initiative myself. I was equally proud of how well he dealt with the matter once it was revealed. I had half expected him to go running to his hive when I confronted him about it. He has most times, but he did not this time. He remained and dealt with me, committed to his friends. I doubt my son will ever know how proud that very act made me. And he was very diplomatic about the entire thing, even swaying my decision to destroy you. I love my son, Captain Archer, but since this has been discovered, he has made me nothing but proud of him. Thank you for granting me the moment to express this to you.”

“You’re welcome, Your Highness.”

“So, in two days we will meet and he will spend a week with you before we meet again.”

Archer was surprised but said nothing in response to it. Instead he replied, “That will be wonderful. I’ll let the children and Hoshi know.”

“He will get to spend time with Hoshi, yes?”

“If you wish.”

“I want him to learn of your culture as well as the Jit. From the little I spoke with her, she appears to be a very kind human.”

“Hoshi is. So in two days, Your Highness?”

“Yes.”

“Would you like to send any nutritional requirements or sleeping arrangements we need to make?”

“Oh no. Oodahau asked that I let him take care of that. I will let him handle these matters himself.”

“As you wish, Your Highness.”

“In two days. Good leave.” King Idnd left the monitor.

“Ooo-kay. This is one to write home about.” Archer reached out and tapped his companel. “Hoshi.”

“Yes?”

“Call Navta and Eartik to my ready room. Come in when they get here.”

“Aye, sir.”

Archer sat back and picked up the PADD to continue reading while he waited.


Back to Chapter 5
Continue to Chapter 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.