Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Bottom of the Ninth"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Angst
Description: Archer makes it official. The crew comes across a sculpture park -- a very, very large sculpture park. Trip spends time with his Xyrillian daughter. Malcolm tries to explain an American saying to Sista. Trip and T'Pol deal with a painful blow.


Proposition (1)

ONE YEAR AND FIVE MONTHS EARLIER

Archer was stretched out on his couch reading. He was only partially aware of Navta laying on the floor drawing and coloring, and her mindless humming. She got up suddenly and walked over to him, holding her picture in front of his book. Archer took it, looking at the aliens on it, the ones they had just saved.

“What’s happening in it?” Archer asked.

She leaned over, pointing while she spoke. “That’s you, and you’re talking to this guy here, you’re going to help him save his planet. He’s really happy. See him smiling?”

“I do. Good job, bunny.”

She took the picture, staring at it with a thoughtful look. Archer reached out, laying his hand on her arm. She looked at him.

“What is it?”

“Do you like helping people?”

“I do.”

“You always get nervous when you help people.”

“I never know if they’re going to start shooting at me or not,” Archer joked.

Navta climbed over him, laying down beside him and staring at her picture.

“Are you ever sorry you helped us?”

Archer kissed the top of her head. “Not even for a second, Navta. I would have missed a lot of really good moments if I hadn’t.”

“Will you ever want to adopt me?”

Archer was shocked by the question.

“Why would you ask that?”

She looked up at him. “Cuz I’d like you for my dad.”

Archer smiled, wrapping his arm tight around her. “It’s way past your bedtime, Navta.”

She laid her head on his shoulder, staring at his book while he read. In a few minutes, the picture drifted from her hand to the floor and she was sound asleep beside him. Archer looked down at the picture, thinking about her question. He’d never even entertained the thought of adopting her, officially.

#

ONE YEAR AND FIVE MONTHS LATER

Trip followed Archer, staring at the envelope in his hand. It was strange to see anything in paper, and even stranger that he’d been given it by a Vulcan captain. Archer wouldn’t tell Trip, or anyone, what it was. But he had been giddy to get it and disappeared into his ready room. Then he came flying out, ordering Trip to follow him.

“What are we doing?” Trip asked for the hundredth time.

Archer just grinned.

“Why are you so happy?”

“I’m… Happy. And Nervous. And scared. And… A lot of things.”

“Okay. Why?”

Archer shook his head, looking at the envelope. “Just stay with me. I really need the emotional support right now.”

“Did you elope?”

“NO!” Archer looked at him in disbelief. “And how? We haven’t been into any port in months!”

“It could happen.”

Archer frowned at him. “No.”

He turned into the recreation room where several crewmen and Navta were playing basketball. Archer stopped, drawing a slow breath.

“Navta,” Archer called.

She glanced at him.

“Just a minute.”

“This will only take a minute. Come here.”

Navta trotted away from the game, stopping in front of him with a smile.

“What, K’Pan?”

Archer opened his mouth to answer, and then closed it, looking at the envelope. He crouched down and opened the envelop, pulling out a paper. Trip still couldn’t see what it was.

“There’s just a few things we still put on paper on Earth. Brith certificates, marriage licenses… We do it so that we can hang them up, really, because they’re also recorded electronically.”

“Did you get married without telling anyone?”

Archer and Trip both laughed. Archer looked up at her.

“No, Navta. I didn’t. I adopted you.”

Trip didn’t even notice how shocked Navta was, because he was shocked himself. Archer’s smile began to wane the longer Navta said nothing.

“Is that… Okay?” Archer asked.

Navta threw her arms around his neck, starting to cry.

“Navta? What’s wrong, Navta?”

“I’m so happy!” she cried.

Archer smiled, closing his eyes. Suddenly he and Navta were both being squeezed tight by Trip and both laughed.

“CONGRAGULATIONS!” Trip bellowed, drawing the crew’s attention. He sprung to his feet, telling them, “NAVTA’S GOTTA NEW DAD!” He pointed odwn at Archer.

The crew gathered around to offer their congragulations. Archer closed his eyes, tuning out the crowd.

To Navta he whispered, “I love you, bunny. Always.”

Navta squeezed a little tighter.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.