Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Bottom of the Ninth"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Angst
Description: Archer makes it official. The crew comes across a sculpture park -- a very, very large sculpture park. Trip spends time with his Xyrillian daughter. Malcolm tries to explain an American saying to Sista. Trip and T'Pol deal with a painful blow.


Reunion (6)

Trip smiled at a crewman passing.

“Archer to Trip,” Archer called across the ship’s COM.

Trip stopped at a companel and tapped it.

“Go ahead, Cap’n.”

“Can you meet me at docking hatch B. There’s a malfunction and I’m trying to open it for an alien ship we just docked with.”

“On my way.”

Trip picked up his pace, but didn’t break past a walk. Trip turned into the hall leading to docking hatch B.

“DADDY!”

Trip looked up and a smile spread across his face as he dropped to one knee. A Xyrillian child was running down the hall toward him with her arms wide open and a mass of curly brown blowing back. She fell into Trip’s arms and he stood, swinging her around as she hugged him. Trip buried his face into her shoulder.

“Al’ra!” he laughed, looking at her face. “How are you?”

“Good!” she beamed, hugging him viciously again.

Trip looked up, walking over to the two Xyrillian’s standing next to T’Pol and Archer. He held his hand out to the man.

“How are ya Tylu?”

“Good. And you Commander?”

“I keep telling ya, ya don’t have to call me Commander.”

“I’m afraid it’s out of respect.”

“Then I guess it’ll have to be okay.” Trip leaned over and kissed the woman’s cheek. “Hello A’hya. How are you?”

“Well.” She reached up and hugged Trip.

Trip stepped back, putting his arm around T’Pol’s waist when she stepped next to him. “Did you get my last letter?”

“We did!” A’hya smiled. “Congratulations to both of you. We were pleased to hear that you two have united.”

“Does that mean I have to call T’Pol mom?” Al’ra asked Trip.

Trip smiled, shaking his head. “That means you call T’Pol, T’Pol, honey.”

“We were speaking with Captain Archer and he says you will be at Garui Prime for a week. We’re heading to meet with some Tellurites to discuss a trading agreement, but these are often long, drawn out talks. Would it be okay if Al’ra visited you for a few days?”

“I’ve already approved it, Trip. You can take some time off if you like,” Archer told him.

Trip smiled at Al’ra. “How about it, kiddo?”

“Yes!”

Trip laughed when she hugged him again. He looked at the two Xyrillians. “Thank you for thinking of this.”

“She always asks if we can see you when we go on a diplomatic mission,” Tylu said. “The situation presented itself. We really must be going however.”

Trip let T’Pol go to shake both of their hands. “Have a safe trip.”

“See you in a few days, Al’ra. You behave yourself.”

Al’ra rolled her eyes, sighing, “I will.”

Tylu and A’hya returned to their ship. Al’ra waved until they were out of sight and then turned to Trip.

“Guess what, daddy?”

“Huh?”

“At school, everyone gets so jealous because I have your brown hair.” Al’ra pulled strands of curly brown hair in front of her face for him to see.

“They get jealous because of this.” Trip gently tugged on her hair.

Al’ra nodded, making her hair bob. “And because I’m the only one they know that has two daddies and two mommies.”

“Well, you’re a special kid in that way.”

“Who’s that?” a voice asked.

Trip turned, finding Navta and Amy standing behind him.

“That’s Al’ra. She’s Trip’s daughter,” Navta informed Amy.

Amy looked Al’ra up and down as Trip stood her on the floor beside him. Al’ra kept a tight grip on Trip’s hand.

“I didn’t know you had a daughter,” Amy said.

“I have told you three times he has one,” T’Pol said.

“I forgetted.”

“I forgot,” T’Pol corrected.

“I forgot.” Amy stuck her hand out. “I’m Amy.”

Al’ra shook her hand. “I’m Al’ra.” She let go and waved at Navta. “Hi Navta.”

“Hi. Can Al’ra go play with us, Trip? We were going to go play on the swing.”

“Sure.”

“Be certain the three of you share evenly,” T’Pol reminded them.

Navta rolled her eyes, saying, “T’Pooooolllll!”

Amy grabbed Al’ra’s hand, instigating Navta to grab her other and the three girls ran off down the hall giggling.

“Should we tell them not to run?” Trip asked Archer and T’Pol.

“Not today. Maybe tomorrow,” Archer said as he walked past.

Trip smiled, putting his arm around T’Pol’s waist again. He looked down at her and noticed her thoughtful look.

“Have you had lunch?”

“I have not.”

“Let’s get some lunch.”

The two walked down the hall. T’Pol pulled from Trip’s side, but slid her hand into his, wrapping her fingers tight around them.

“What’s going on in that head of yours, honey?” Trip asked her.

“I simply wish to share your life. Do not exclude me.”

“When have I ever?”

“Al’ra may call me whatever she wishes. Technically I am her step-mother.”

Trip was surprised by the comment. He looked down the hall, thinking on it for a moment. He looked back down at T’Pol.

“Did I hurt your feelings by telling her to call you T’Pol?”

T’Pol didn’t answer. It was a response that he’d learned meant yes every time. Trip sighed, squeezing her hand.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t think you’d want that.”

“Perhaps you should ask rather than assume.”

“I should have. I’m sorry.”

“You will need to rectify the situation.”

“I’ll tell her to call you mom.”

“She may call the name she is comfortable with, but I would like her to have the option. I will not object either way.”

Trip smiled. “Okay. I’ll tell her. Later. She’s playing right now.”

“Thank you.”

Trip kissed T’Pol’s hand, deciding to leave the conversation as it was. He didn’t want to ruin what was turning into a perfect day.


Back to Chapter 5
Continue to Chapter 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.