Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Bottom of the Ninth"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Angst
Description: Archer makes it official. The crew comes across a sculpture park -- a very, very large sculpture park. Trip spends time with his Xyrillian daughter. Malcolm tries to explain an American saying to Sista. Trip and T'Pol deal with a painful blow.


Warm Greetings (7)

Archer smiled when Ambassador Tav’al and a guard met him at the docking hatch.

“Thank you again for your assistance, Ambassador.”

The Vulcan nodded slightly but said nothing. The two waited at the hatch with a guard until the docking light turned green. He tapped it and the door slid open. Archer walked through the airlock to the outer panel and tapped it. The door opened and T’Pol and Trip were waiting on the other side.

“What happened?” were the first words out of Trip’s mouth.

“I lost helm control and then the engine cut out. I didn’t have time to get any readings and I tried everything I know to bring it back on line.”

“Were you fired on?”

“No. Luckily.”

“He was in an uninhabited area of space,” Ambassador Tav’al said.

“I’ll go take a look at ‘er and get her back on Enterprise,” Trip said. “I’m sure the Ambassador is anxious to be going.”

Tav’al didn’t confirm or deny Trip’s comment.

“K’PAN!” rang out in four voices as Navta, Amy, Kasbra and Jon Nathan ran around the corner.

Archer turned to tell them to stop and be quiet but he didn’t get a chance. The children mauled him, grabbing his legs and arms and throwing him off balance. Archer dropped his bag, dropping to a knee to keep from falling and was immediately enveloped in hugs and kisses.

Any embarrassment and impatience he had melted when Navta hugged him, saying, “I missed you so much K’Pan.”

Archer hugged the children close to him. “I missed you, too.”

Jon Nathan started babbling, but Archer didn’t know about half of what he was talking about. Kasbra joined in followed by Amy. Navta kept silent, refusing to let go of Archer even when the other children stepped back to tell him everything that happened while he was away.

Archer stood. “Children,” Archer said in a quiet, but firm tone, “quiet.”

They stopped talking.

“We have a guest and you’re all being rude.”

The children looked up at Tav’al; which for Kasbra and Jon Nathan meant having to crane their heads all the way back. Navta held her hand out to Tav’al. His eyebrow lifted. T’Pol opened her mouth to explain the custom, but he held his hand out to Navta before T’Pol spoke. Navta took his hand and shook it.

“I’m Navta. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Navta politely said.

“My name is Ambassador Tav’al. It is an honor to meet you.”

Navta stepped back, leaning against Archer so he could put his arm around her. Amy introduced herself as politely and Tav’al returned her greeting. The twins didn’t move for a few seconds and then Kasbra stuck her hand out to Tav’al.

“’Ello,” Kasbra said.

A very slight smile wafted across the Ambassador’s lips. He knelt down, coming down to their level. He gently took Kasbra’s hand and shook it.

“Hello.”

Kasbra smiled and said with more concentration. “Hello.”

She poked her brother and he brushed her away, pulling back behind T’Pol’s legs.

“Jon Nathan is more timid than his sister,” T’Pol explained to the Ambassador.

Tav’al stood, nodding. He turned to Archer.

“You were saying, Captain Archer?”

“Getting the shuttle pod to Enterprise shouldn’t take more than a few hours.”

“If I’m not mistaken, it’s nineteen hundred and thirty-two hours.”

“Most likely.”

“We will wait until the morning. The children should not be kept awake on our account.” Tav’al looked at Trip. “You will work on it tomorrow. And I would be honored if you and your wife joined me for lunch.”

Trip was speechless, but T’Pol quickly stepped in.

“We accept your invitation, Ambassador,” T’Pol said.

The Ambassador walked back onto his ship and disappeared with the guard following him. T’Pol turned, holding her hand out to Amy. Amy took it, stepping close to T’Pol. T’Pol started to walk away.

“Wait just one second, woman,” Trip said.

T’Pol turned around.

“What just happened here?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“With the ambassador? What is with the invitation to lunch?”

“Vulcans are very appreciative of children. They represent a generation of new exploration and knowledge. As such, he will be expecting the two older children to join us for lunch so he can share knowledge with them while we dine.”

T’Pol turned and walked off. The twins trotted after the two, renewing their babbling conversation to T’Pol. She held the conversation well, apparently understanding everything the children were telling her.

Trip and Archer looked at each other.

“K’pan?” Navta said.

Archer looked down at her. “What, sweetie?”

“Vulcans can be so weird sometimes.”

Archer smiled, picking her up and helping her on his back for a piggyback ride. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, linking her hands together and laying her head on his shoulder. Trip picked up Archer’s bag and the men walked away from the hatch.


Back to Chapter 6
Continue to Chapter 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.