Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Bottom of the Ninth"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Angst
Description: Archer makes it official. The crew comes across a sculpture park -- a very, very large sculpture park. Trip spends time with his Xyrillian daughter. Malcolm tries to explain an American saying to Sista. Trip and T'Pol deal with a painful blow.


Life’s Curve Balls (8)

Stretched out on his stomach in bed, Malcolm was trying to figure out a power fluxuation in the aft canon. The problem had been reoccurring for days with no apparent reason and normally it would have been easy to fix, but he had been thinking about something for weeks that was keeping him distracted from his duties. Sista walked into the bedroom, undressed and climbed into bed beside him. Malcolm sat the PADD on the headboard, watching her. She tapped the light controls and then moved close to him. Malcolm didn’t move when she slid her arm to wrap it around him. Sista looked at his face.

“What wrong?”

“I’ve been thinking of something for some time now. Probably why I can’t figure out what’s wrong with the canon.”

“What you thinking?”

“My whole life has thrown me one curve ball after another.”

“What is curve ball?”

“It’s an American expression that means something unexpected has happened.”

“Bad unexpected?

“Not always.”

“Tell me what has been unexpected.”

“Well,” Malcolm hugged his pillow under his chin, resting it on it. “Most everything. My father, the horrid man that he was, started it. Then there were more things than could be mentioned from there. I was accepted into Starfleet, which I truly had not expected.”

“Why not? You good Armory officer.”

“I didn’t do so well on the entrance exams. I thought I would never make it in after the third try.”

“Third try? Three times you take exam and not make it?”

“The third time I passed. Barely.”

“But then you got in and that was good, yes?”

“Yes.”

“But?”

“Well, then I had a difficult time even getting here to Enterprise. I’ve always been by the book and that has never made me popular among other officers. I’ve never had a steady relationship either.”

“What about me?”

“I’m getting to you.” Malcolm turned his head, resting his head on the pillow so he could stare at Sista’s face. “Once I got to Enterprise things were always good and bad for those first few years. I thought for sure I’d end up in the brig as many times as I crossed Captain Archer’s path!”

Sista chuckled. She reached out, stroking his face. Malcolm closed his eyes. Her touch was a pleasure he doubted he could ever live without.

“And then?” Sista asked, moving her face closer to Malcolm. She kissed his lips, smiling when he kissed her back. Malcolm looked at her.

“And then these strange aliens stowed away and damn if I didn’t fall in love with one of them. Not that she would have had it any other way. She always seems to know what she wants and expects to get it.”

Sista slid her hand around Malcolm’s shoulder, laying her head on his pillow so they were nose to nose.

“And then what happened?”

“And then I inspired one of my best friends to date a Vulcan and get married to her. Somewhere during all of that, my beautiful wife and I had two adorable children. And I love all three of them with my heart. I couldn’t imagine what life would be like without them.”

Sista kissed his nose and then his lips. Malcolm smiled, laying his hand on her cheek. He gently pushed her face back. Sista’s smile waned.

“What’s wrong?”

“And then, one day, today even, I was working on these blasted canons and Trip was helping. He was talking about something Kasbra had done. I realized that both of my babies are no longer babies. They’re walking, talking, out of diapers, feed themselves and I miss all of that.”

Sista lifted herself up on her arm, staring down at Malcolm. “You miss the nights awake, the long days because of baby crying, the sick baby?”

“All of it. Those two were the best curve balls that ever happened to me. I want more.”

Sista sat up. She tapped the light controls, bringing them up half way. Malcolm sat up, watching her.

“Kathah-Jit always have two or more. I told you that after found out pregnant first time.”

“I know.”

“It get crowded here.”

“I know.”

“We would have to do something about that.”

“I know.”

“You sure you want more?”

Malcolm slid his hand down her face to her neck. He leaned in, kissing her. She closed her eyes, wrapping her arms around him.

“Yes,” Malcolm whispered against her lips.

Sista smiled, lifting her arms when he pulled her nightgown up and off.

“We start tonight?” Sista looked at him, holding his face in her hands.

Malcolm laid her back on the bed, kissing her.


Back to Chapter 7
Continue to Chapter 9

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.