Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calling All Friends"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Family
Description: Navta has a new imaginary friend. There's a reason married couples on ships are bad. Some loves span time. A lake, plus a rope, equals lotsa fun! T'Pol does the motherly thing.


Percy (1)

Archer passed two crewmen with a smile. He turned into a door and stepped into hydroponics, a world alive with smells and color. The moist heat of hydroponics clung to his skin and the bright UV lights hanging from the ceiling illuminated the room as bright as a day on Earth.

“Navta?” Archer called.

After a moment she replied, “Yeah?”

“Where are you?”

“By the office, K’pan.”

Archer walked between plant tables to the office at the back. Navta stood at a bench, carefully placing seedlings into containers for the hydroponics tables. Archer walked up behind her, laying his hands on his shoulders and kissing the top of her head. She looked up at him with a wide smile.

“The movie starts in fifteen minutes, honey.”

“Oh, I can’t go,” Navta said.

“Why not?”

“I have to finish planting these first. I want Luke to know I can take care of all of hydroponics when he and Patty are off the ship.”

“I think he knows that, Navta.”

“Oh!” Navta pulled away, trotting over to another counter. She picked up a seedling tray and proudly held it up for Archer to see. “Looky what I did.”

Even though he understood the importance of plants and especially on a ship, Archer found any kind of dealings with them boring. But for Navta’s sake he forced a smile.

“They look good.”

Navta looked at the tray, smiling lovingly. “I grew them from seeds. Luke told me the big name but I keep forgetting it. So he told me the short one. They’re called curly leaf Italian parsley and Chef uses them to cook with.” Navta smiled up at Archer. “He put me in charge of all the herbs. They’re over there in that corner.” Navta pointed in the direction.

“Sounds like you’ve got quite a big responsibility,” Archer said.

“Not really.” Navta returned the tray to the counter and went back to planting the seedlings. “My favorite ones are the roses.”

“We have roses?” Archer asked. He really was surprised. For some reason he never thought Lieutenant-Commander Anderson would grow a plant he didn’t like.

“Uh-huh. Luke brought two from Earth and we picked up two more species on the last planet we stopped at. They’re in bloom right now.” Navta looked back at Archer. “Wanna see?”

“Sure.”

Navta latched onto Archer’s hand and led him three rows down to plant bins at the back that were filled with dirt instead of liquid gel and fluid. Along the wall were four healthy rose bushes bright with blossoming flowers. Two were familiar to Archer, but the other two were unlike any he’d seen. One had yellow flowers that were tattered like Iris petals but shaped like rose blossoms. The other had velvety, purple flowers so dark they looked black with neon colored centers. Archer crouched down by Navta, looking up at her.

“Are these your favorite?”

Navta nodded. “Yes, but the purple one is my most favorite.” She began patting the dirt around the rose bush

“Why the purple one?”

“It talks to me.”

Archer stared at her for a second. He stood and caught one of her dirty hands in his. “Let’s go get your hands washed and go to the movie, sweetie. The plants will be here tomorrow.”

Navta let Archer lead her away. She looked back at the door, calling out, “Good night Percy!”

The door slid shut.

Across the room the purple rose bush lifted it’s flowers up and waved a little before dropping it’s flowers back down.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.