Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calling All Friends"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Family
Description: Navta has a new imaginary friend. There's a reason married couples on ships are bad. Some loves span time. A lake, plus a rope, equals lotsa fun! T'Pol does the motherly thing.


Family Feud (2)

Archer and T’Pol led the Jusil ambassador into the mess hall.

“This is our mess hall,” Archer told him. “We’ll have dinner in the Cap—”

“SHUT UP!”

The three turned, watching Malcolm follow Vardee into the mess hall. The two stormed over to the resequencer to order drinks.

“Vardee,” Malcolm said, trying to keep his voice down, “I told you it didn’t need to be aligned. Why did you align it?” Malcolm grabbed a glass and shoved it into the resequencer. “Water, non-carbonated, cold.”

Vardee grabbed a glass and shoved it into the resequencer when he removed his. “Because it need it!” Vardee snarled. “Tea, cold, with lemon. I tell you time, time again it need it!”

“Vardee, I am in charge of weapons. I know when something needs to be aligned.”

“You may boss in weapons, but you not know it need aligned. If you did, you would have ordered it!”

The two walked around the three to the buffet table. Crewmen quickly moved out of their way and gave the fighting couple a wide berth. They even got out of line to avoid being caught in the middle of the fight.

“You are so stubborn!” Malcolm growled at her.

Vardee slammed her tray down, leaning on the buffet table. “I stubborn? Look in mirror!”

Malcolm turned around to face her. “Who is the senior security officer on this ship? You or me?”

“You, bu—”

“And I suppose because you’re my wife you think you can tell me how to do in my job? Or do it for me? I told you the multi-phase conductors on the canons did not need aligned and they didn’t!”

“They out of line!”

“They were not out of line.”

“They out by a thousandth of millimeter.”

“A thousandth of a millimeter? Vardee, listen to yourself! That isn’t just within acceptable limits, that is barely out of acceptable limits.”

“So you think it better that ship go to ruin because something barely out of acceptable limit!”

“I think that this has nothing to do with the damned cannons and more to do with our fight this morning.”

“I not care about that. That over.”

“That’s over is it?” Malcolm crossed his arms across his chest.

“That over and done.”

There was a brief silence while the two glared at one another.

“FINE!” Vardee snapped. “You should call your father. It his birthday.”

Malcolm slammed his tray down on a table three crewmen were sitting at. He stormed toward the door. “This fight is so old! I’m not going to stand here and listen to it.”

Vardee sat her tray down and followed him, yelling, “Yes you will! I older. I know best.”

“You know nothing of the sort. You didn’t grow up with those people.”

“Those people my family! Malcolm Brandon Reed, you nishta walk away from me! Malcolm! Get back here!”

The mess hall door cut the two’s fight off. There was a few seconds of silence and then the murmur of the mess hall resumed, the fight being passed off as just another Reed whirlwind sweeping through the room.

The Jusil ambassador looked at Archer. Archer had his arms crossed over his chest and was staring at the floor.

“That was Mister and Missus Reed. This way please.” Archer motioned toward the Captain’s mess and started walking.

The ambassador and T’Pol followed him.

“I’m curious, Captain Archer, why you didn’t intervene in their argument?” Jusil asked.

Archer stopped at the door, turning to him. “Had it been anyone else on my crew, I would have, but you must understand Ambassador, that I’ve learned the last place I need to be is in the middle of a fight between a husband and a wife. Of all the dangerous circumstances I’ve been in out here in space, I’ve found that’s the most dangerous.”

The Jusil smiled. “We don’t have married couples on our vessel. There are rules against it. I imagine it was a wise individual that made that ruling.”

Archer shrugged his shoulders some. “I guess I’m simply a glutton for punishment. Aren’t I, T’Pol?”

“Indeed, Captain.”

The three entered the Captain’s mess and sat down.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.