Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calling All Friends"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Family
Description: Navta has a new imaginary friend. There's a reason married couples on ships are bad. Some loves span time. A lake, plus a rope, equals lotsa fun! T'Pol does the motherly thing.


Mother Nature’s Ill Humor (4)

 

            “Captain, I’m detecting an uncharted planet eight thousand kilometers to port,” T’Pol said.

            Archer and Trip, who had been quietly goading each other on a game of poker neither had won the night before, looked up from the situation monitor they had been pretending to be working at. T’Pol walked around the corner and stood at the top of the stairs.

            “And I’m detecting some unusual readings from the planet, Captain,” T’Pol continued.

            “Unusual how?”

            “I cannot clearly say yet, but it does appear to be completely surrounded by orbital satellites of some kind.”

            “You mean rings?”

            “No.”

            “Moons?”

            “No, Captain. It is neither. If I knew what it was I was detecting, I could better explain the anomalies I’m reading on my viewer.”

            Archer looked back at the situation monitor. “Why don’t you put together a team and go check it out?” Archer looked back at her. “I’m meeting with the Gangi ambassador in four hours and I don’t want to be late.”

            “Yes, Captain. Commander, do you wish to join us?”

            Trip looked at Archer. “That alright with you?”

            “Sure. Go ahead.”

            Trip and T’Pol walked to the lift and disappeared. Left alone, Archer returned to the work he was supposed to be doing.

 

 

 

 

Two Weeks Later

 

            Archer sat alone in the meeting room, staring out at the stars speeding past at warp three. Behind him a handful of PADDs were scattered where he had been sitting. He didn’t turn when the door opened.

            “You wanted to see me?” Trip asked.

            “Have a seat. You’re early.”

            Trip didn’t respond to Archer’s comment. He sat down across from Archer, folding his hands on the table. He glanced up when the door opened again. T’Pol and Ensign Cutler entered.

            “You requested to see us, Captain,” T’Pol said.

            “Have a seat,” Archer said.

            T’Pol sat down next to Trip without so much as a friendly glance. The couple had been fighting non-top for days now, which, if Trip had thought about it, was not typical of T’Pol under any circumstances.

            Doctor Phlox, Sista and Travis were the last to enter and then Archer turned. He silently organized the PADDs sitting on the table while the six waited in silence.

            “I’ve reviewed these reports about the planet you six visited a week ago. Again. I was hoping that, in some way or another, they might shed some light onto why the six of you have been on edge, short tempered and otherwise impossible to get along with.” Archer looked at each of them as he continued talking. “I gather that the planet wasn’t hospitable, that it had once been a Menshara class planet, the occupants died quickly and painfully, but oddly not a single one of you went into detail as to explain how you know any of this. Frankly, team, there are a lot of holes in your usually impeccable reports. I need to know what’s missing and why. I can’t send these reports to Starfleet like this. There aren’t even any pictures other than building exteriors included. What are you six hiding from me and from whoever else might be looking at these reports?”

            Archer fell silent, waiting for one of them to speak.

            “It, uh,” Trip started. “It all went downhill faster than a snowball to hell after the car.”

            “What car?”

            The six looked at each other. T’Pol cleared her throat and began retelling the events that transpired on their mission.

 

#

 

            Phlox, Ensign Cutler, Sista, T’Pol, Trip were crowded around Travis near the window, watching the car they were slowly approaching. Travis slowed the shuttle pod to a stop by it and turned on the external lights. The six stared at the mummified faces of two adult aliens and a baby. There was a long silence that followed.

            “Resume course, Mister Mayweather,” T’Pol ordered

            Travis turned to the helm controls and moved away. He didn’t ask the five to move, because he didn’t want to be alone after that discovery.

            Ahead was a tool shed, the kind that could have been found in the backyard of any suburban house in America. They watched it pass before looking forward. Ahead were more vehicles, more unsecured buildings, and more bodies. The mass of objects began to grow thicker as they came closer to the planet and Travis had to drop to quarter impulse as he wove in and out of the objects.

            “That’s a train!” Cutler said, pointing.

            A seven-car train was floating in space. Travis turned the shuttle pod toward it.

            “Who would put all of these objects and dead people in space?” Cutler asked.

            “More importantly, how would they have?” T’Pol asked.

            They sidled up to the train and Travis shone the exterior lights on the empty cars as they flew past it.

            “Get us to the planet, Ensign,” T’Pol said.

            Travis turned back toward the planet and made his way to it.

            “We should sit down,” T’Pol suggested as they came closer. “In case there is turbulence upon entering the planet’s atmosphere.”

            “What atmosphere?” Travis asked.

            “What?” Trip asked him.

            Travis was staring at a monitor on the console. “According to these readings, this planet has no atmosphere. It isn’t even rotating. There won’t be any turbulence.”

            T’Pol pushed between Phlox and Sista and sat down at the science station.

            “This planet used to be similar to Earth. I’m reading dead plants on the surface and an infrared scan reveals terrain that used to be under water.”

            “How recently?” Trip asked.

            “I cannot tell from space. I would have to get closer to the surface to tell that.”

            “So…” Trip looked back at her. “This planet may have been like earth?”

            “Yes.”

            “How’d all this stuff get into space, T’Pol?”

            “I do not know, yet.”

            “Could it have drifted into space once the planet stopped turning?” Cutler asked.

            “I do not know. To my knowledge no one has encountered a planet that stopped rotating. This is a new discovery.”

            “Morbid discover, you mean,” Cutler muttered.

            “Flock of birds,” Travis said.

            The five looked up as Travis steered clear of a flock of frozen birds. They looked like seagulls with brown and black mottled feathers

            “Ensign, there is a large city to port twelve degrees. It has a large street near the center that is wide enough for you to land on.”

            Travis maneuvered the shuttle pod over the city and landed on the street. The shuttle pod sat on the ground for a few seconds and then began to slowly rise without signifigant gravity to hold it down.

            “We’ll have to tether the shuttle pod down or it’ll float off,” Trip said.

            “I help do that,” Sista said.

            The two walked to the back and pulled EV suits down from the top hatch.

 

#

 

            In EV suits the six stood in a group outside, looking at the dark city around them. The large windows of the storefronts looked ominous and intimidating. Their helmet lights and flashlights cast shadows off of familiar city street objects like benches and light poles.

            “I need to see if I can find any kind record as to what happened to this planet,” T’Pol said. “Vardee will assist me. The four of you should split into two groups and see if you can find anything as well.”

            “Like what?” Travis asked.

            “You’ll know when you find it, Ensign. We should not go beyond radio communication range. Everyone will check in every five minutes and we will return here in,” T’Pol looked at the monitor on her suit arm, “three hours.”

            “We have six hours of oxygen in our suits, Sub-Commander,” Travis argued.

            “There is no sense putting ourselves at risk,” T’Pol argued. “We have a lot of territory to explore given that the buildings around us are two stories or more. We will return in three hours, eat and then resume searching again. Agreed?”

            They others muttered yes. T’Pol and Sista, with the aid of their jet packs, started down the street.

            “See you in three hours,” Trip told Travis and Cutler.

            The two Ensigns headed across the street and entered a building.

            “That structure looks like it may have been a building of worship.” Phlox pointed to a building down the street.

            “Let’s check it out,” Trip said.

            The two men headed down the street to a stone building with ornate architecture. Phlox tried to open the door but without leverage, he couldn’t open it. Trip helped him and together they were able to pull the door open. A pile of bodies floated out the door and the two moved out of the way.

            “That…was gross,” Trip muttered.

            “I’m surprised you’re just now stating that fact,” Phlox said.

            They went inside, passing through three entryways into a large chamber reminiscent of a Catholic church. Anything that wasn’t fastened down was floating on the ceiling, including parishioners; all who had dressed in what looked like their best clothes. Phlox pulled a scanner off his belt and moved to several of the lower corpses, scanning them.

            “They died fast,” Phlox reported to the team, “from asphyxiation it appears.”

            Cutler suddenly screamed, “TRAVIS! TRAVIS GET IN HERE! GET IN HERE, TRAVIS!”

            “Liz?” Trip said, turning to look back toward the door.

            She didn’t reply.

            “Elizabeth?” Trip asked again.

            “We…uh…we’ll be in the shuttle pod,” Travis said to the others.

            “What’s wrong?” Trip asked.

            Neither replied.

            “Ensigns, what has happened?” T’Pol asked.

            “I…uh…you’ll have to look for yourself. We’ve gotta outta here!”

            Trip looked at Phlox. Phlox rejoined him and the two headed back toward the door. They came out in time to see Travis shutting the outer hatch of the shuttle pod behind him.

            “Which building were you in, Travis?” Trip asked.

            “The one with the red sign over the door, four buildings to your right.”

            Trip and Phlox headed toward the building. They entered and could tell right away it was a hospital judging from the types of equipment floating overhead.

            “Travis, where are we going here?”

            There was a pause before he replied. “Go to the end of the hall, turn right, second door on your left. And take a deep breath before you go in.”

            Phlox and Trip went to the end of the hall, turned right and went through the second door on the left. Both stopped and stared. They had walked into the nursery and — like the church — everything not tied down was floating over their heads. In enclosed baby cribs the dead of eyes of mummified babies stared at them.

            “Dear God,” Trip whispered. “There has to be a hundred or more kids in here.”

            “They were trying to protect these children from whatever event occurred here,” Phlox said.

            “How can you tell?”

            “All the open cribs are in the room over there.” Phlox shone his light through the window of the room to his right.

            Trip went to the window and looked inside. There weren’t any corpses inside, only open baby cribs.

            “We have found some paraphernalia from their government,” T’Pol said over the COM.

            “What’s it say?” Trip looked down at the floor.

            “It does not explain what was happening, but apparently they knew that their planet was dying. It says that… ‘Our world is spinning to its death. Soon there will not be enough food, water, and more importantly, air. We cannot keep this from happening. We must work together as a planet to make this time easy. As of this day forward there will be no taxes. All prices on everything will be lowered twenty percent and frozen. There will be no hording. Punishment for crimes against person and property will be dealt with swiftly and by death. There will be a curfew from sunset to sunrise. Any persons caught outside their homes during this time will be shot on sight.” T’Pol hesitated and her voice sounded strange when she read. “Pray to our saviors to rescue us.”

            “How…how do you deal with death when you know it’s coming like that?” Cutler asked on the COM. “When there’s nowhere to run? They didn’t even have enough technology to save themselves. If we had been here even a year earlier, if we hadn’t been held back from leaving Earth, then we could have helped these people.”

            “There are more people here than any starship could carry, Ensign,” T’Pol said.

            “But we could have helped some of them survive.”

            “Elizabeth,” Phlox said, “I share your pity and your empathy, but this event has long since passed. We cannot pass blame and we cannot accuse. All we can do is say our peace over the deceased. What you and Ensign Mayweather need to do now is pull yourselves together and start searching again.”

            “Why? Everyone’s dead.”

            “Because, Ensign,” Phlox explained, “if something could make this world stop rotating, it could happen to any of our home worlds just as easily. We must find the answer to spare our species from suffering the same fate. Surely they have some kind of record as to what events transpired prior to this.”

            There was a long silence on their communication.

            “We’ll go back out. We’ll keep looking,” Cutler said.

            “We should do the same, Commander Tucker.”

            Trip nodded. He cast his eyes to the floor as he turned and followed Phlox out of the room. Trip closed the door behind him, looking down the hall to keep from looking back into the room.

 

#

 

            There was a long silence among the seven. Archer sat back in his chair.

            “That’s all we kept finding,” Cutler said. “Dead bodies, mummified dead bodies, decaying dead bodies. All dead.”

            “So the nursery and church weren’t the only places with corpses?”

            The six shook their heads.

            “In other cities,” Trip said, adjusting in his chair, “it was mostly the churches. They were the worst. Someone once told me that people gather in churches in time of death. They weren’t lyin’.”

            “We did find several caves on many of the continents that had stores of animals, plants, art and books,” T’Pol continued. “There were masses of corpses in them as well. My guess is they had hoped that if they were underground, they’d be safe. Apparently no one gave much thought to the fact that if there is no air above ground, there is none below either.”

            “Why didn’t you head back sooner? You didn’t have to stay there, it was a voluntary mission,” Archer asked them.

            “We were curious, as morbid as that sounds,” Phlox answered. “We wanted to know why they died, what stopped the planet rotating, what killed it.”

            “And did you find out?” Archer patted the PADDs with his fingers. “There’s no information in here about it.”

            There was a silence.

            “We brought back some computers from the planet.” Trip said. “T’Pol and Lieutenant Nolan have been working on them. I don’t know if they’ve found anything yet.”

            “T’Pol?”

            “I have not discovered any answers, Captain.” T’Pol said.

            “Did you collect anything from the caves?”

            “Some.”

            “I want to see it.”

            “We took it back,” Trip said.

            “Why?”

            “We felt we were robbing a grave. The computers were enough.”

            “And there is information about the race on several of them,” T’Pol said.

            “We buried a bunch, too.” Travis added.

            “You did?” Archer asked.

            “A lot.” Cutler said. “The babies. We buried as many of them as we could.”

            Archer looked down at the PADDs. He realized that he truly didn’t comprehend what it had been like for them, and he’d gotten the information he needed. Archer stood and gathered the PADDs.

            “Take your time, guys. Don’t worry about getting right back to your shifts today,” Archer told them.

            He left the room. The six sat in silence for almost an hour before Phlox spoke up.

            “I felt most for the family of twenty. In the house. Pictures of them were all over the house.”

            “I’m glad we buried as many as we could,” T’Pol said.

            Trip slid his arm around her shoulders. T’Pol turned her head, pressing a cheek to his shoulder. They six fell silent again. 


Back to Chapter 3
Continue to Chapter 5

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.