Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calling All Friends"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Family
Description: Navta has a new imaginary friend. There's a reason married couples on ships are bad. Some loves span time. A lake, plus a rope, equals lotsa fun! T'Pol does the motherly thing.


Coming Down From Her Lofty Height (8)

Torn from sleep by screaming, T’Pol and Trip sat up together. Trip let out a heavy sigh as soon as he realized it was Amy having another nightmare. He threw back the covers but T’Pol’s hand on his arm stopped him.

“I’ll take care of her,” T’Pol told him.

“I appreciate that, but it’ll only be a few minutes.”

“Charles, you have said that a dozen or so times every night for the last two weeks. It is never a few minutes.”

“T’Pol, she’s remembering all the things those Suliban did to her on the processing plant. Phlox said it’s good for her to. That means she feels safe and comfortable here. It’s a human thing that you really wouldn’t understand.”

T’Pol threw her covers back and got up. Trip frowned.

“T’Pol, you can’t possibly understand what—”

“When we choose to have children, how am I supposed to raise our children if you cannot trust in my ability to comfort one child going through a trying period?”

Trip didn’t reply right away, realizing he’d hurt T’Pol’s feelings more than insulted her. It was a reaction he’d learned about early in their relationship.

“If you need help, let me know,” Trip told her.

T’Pol walked out of their bedroom without responding. Trip sat for a long moment, trying to think of a way to make up for his insult.

#

T’Pol walked along the walkway to the next door down, the sounds of Amy’s screams for Trip getting louder. She entered the room that was dimly lit by a small light across the room. She could see Amy sitting up in her bed.

“Trip?” Amy asked.

“No,” T’Pol said, walking over and sitting down on the edge of the bed.

“Where’s Trip?” Amy asked.

“What was your nightmare about?” T’Pol asked in a gentle voice.

“I want Trip. I want Trip!”

T’Pol stood and took half a step toward the door. She stopped and sat down on the bed next to Amy.

“Please, Amy, tell me what the nightmare was about.”

“You said they were stupid,” Amy said, looking away from T’Pol.

“I said they could not harm you. That they were memories of your past and you will not be returned to that past. Ever.”

“I want Trip. He doesn’t say they’re stupid.”

T’Pol drew her legs up, hugging them. She let out a slow breath, realizing that Trip was right. This was a human thing, but knew she was correct that she had to learn to do this.

“On Vulcan there are creatures called ghajk; they have a slight resemblance to domesticated cats on Earth.”

“Are they kept as pets?”

“No, but as a young child I saw one killed by a farmer and for weeks after I had nightmares of being hunted and killed.”

“Did your parents tell you it was stupid?”

“They told me exactly what I told you of your nightmares.”

Amy looked up at T’Pol. “Do you want to be like your parents, T’Pol?”

T’Pol looked at Amy. “Why would you ask me that question?”

“You said you told me exactly what your parents told you, but that doesn’t make me feel any better.”

“And what does Charles tell you when he comforts you?”

“He tells me it’s okay to be afraid, but that he won’t let those bad things happen to me again. And then he holds me and tells me a stories until I fall asleep again.”

“That explains why this takes so long,” T’Pol muttered.

“What?”

T’Pol sat back against the headboard of Amy’s bed. She was surprised when Amy curled up to her side, laying her head on T’Pol’s shoulder.

“I do not know any children’s stories,” T’Pol admitted

“Tell me a story about you. You never tell me stories about you.”

T’Pol looks away. “I do not have any stories of interest about me.” T’Pol looked down at Amy. “I do know some songs.”

“Okay.”

T’Pol wet her lips and began singing in Vulcan.

Outside the door Trip was leaning against the wall. He had listened to the entire conversation and it made him smile.


Back to Chapter 7
Continue to Chapter 9

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.