Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calling All Friends"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Drama/Family
Description: Navta has a new imaginary friend. There's a reason married couples on ships are bad. Some loves span time. A lake, plus a rope, equals lotsa fun! T'Pol does the motherly thing.


Play Dough (9)

Archer walked into the mess hall and over to the counter where a pitcher of tea was sitting. He retrieved a glass from a cupboard and poured himself some tea.

“Hey, Chef, class ready?” Archer heard Trip’s voice ask from the galley.

“I’m just getting the flour and salt measured. Take a seat and I’ll be right out.”

“Lieutenant Reed is running late,” Hoshi’s voice said. “Something about diapers and ‘ew gross’ was all I got from the COM when I called.”

There was the sound of group laughter.

Archer’s brow creased. He walked around to doorway and stopped out of sight of the occupants. Trip, Hoshi, Amy and Navta were all sitting around one of the butcher blocks. Hoshi and Trip were dressed in civilian clothes. The girls were talking among themselves and Hoshi and Trip were chatting about ship gossip. Chef came out of the pantry carrying four bowls. He sat them down on the butcher block. He measured out five cups of water and then put them on the butcher block. He retrieved a plastic shoebox and brought it over to the butcher block, opening it. From the box, everyone grabbed different bottles of food coloring.

“Now, everyone add five drops of food coloring to the water,” Chef instructed. “For darker colors add more, for lighter colors add less.”

“I want purple.” Amy asked.

“How do you make purple?” Chef asked.

“Oo! Oo! I know how!” Navta said, raising her hand.

The adults laughed.

“You’re not in class, honey, you can just tell us,” Hoshi told her.

“You take blue and red and you mix equal amounts.”

“So how do you make equal amounts of five drops?” Amy asked, looking at her cup.

“Use six drops. It’ll make it easier, Amy,” Trip told her.

Amy carefully added three drops of red and three drops of blue.

“Am I late?” Malcolm asked, coming into the galley through the back door.

Jon Nathan and Kasbra ran to Chef. He swept them into a hug under each arm, causing them to laugh and squeal. Archer smiled to see the normally somber man shower the two with kisses and hugs.

“Uncle Ch-ef,” Jon Nathan laughed.

“My other two favorite kids in the universe,” Chef said. He sat each of them on a stool.

Malcolm sat down between the toddlers.

“What we makin’?” Kasbra asked.

“We’re making play dough,” Navta told her.

“Let me go mix up some flour and salt.” Chef disappeared back into the pantry and returned with two more bowls. He measured out two cups of water and sat them down.

“Jon and I will make ours together, Malcolm,” Chef told him.

“That’s probably the safest plan for your kitchen,” Malcolm laughed. He picked up the water and sat it down in front of Kasbra. “What color do you want your play dough to be, sweetheart?” Malcolm asked Kasbra.

“Yellow-f.”

Chef handed the yellow to Malcolm. “Five drops. Well, make it nine. Yellow is pretty light.”

Malcolm added the drops to the water.

“What’s your favorite color, Jonnie?” Chef asked Jon Nathan.

Hearing his childhood nickname made Archer laugh quietly.

“Boof!” Jon Nathan said.

“Jonnie, say it right,” Malcolm told him.

“Ba-loof.”

“I’m making blue,” Navta told Chef.

“We’ll make a different color of blue,” Chef told her. He added twice the amount of blue drops to the water, making it look black.

“Now, add a little water at a time until the mixture is smooth and elastic, but not sticky,” Chef instructed the group. “Use your fingers to mix it good.

The group followed his instructions and laughter and chatter filled the silence while they mixed their play dough.

“Okay, everyone done with theirs?” Chef asked.

“Yeah,” the group answered.

“Pick up your bowls and clear the butcher block off.”

The group did as they were told and Archer smiled when he saw the twins bounce excitedly in anticipation.

Chef disappeared into the pantry and brought out a container labeled ‘Flour’. He sprinkled flour on the butcher block and carefully coated the surface with it. He sat the container on a shelf behind him.

“Put your play dough out on it. I’m going to go get cookie cutters and ‘tools’.”

From several drawers he collected rolling pins, cookie cutters, chopsticks, and an assortment of other tools. He brought them back and dumped them in the center of the butcher block.

“Now, there’s one, two, three, four, five and six of us. Divide your play dough into six sections and pass out one section to each person so that we all have a little of each color.”

“Uncle Chef, there’s eight of us,” Amy told him.

“I’m going to help Jonnie here, and Malcolm’s going to help Kasbra. We’ll play with their play dough, honey.”

“Okay.”

They divided their batch of play dough and handed it out until everyone had a little bit of each color made.

“And now you make whatever your heart desires,” Chef told them, grinning.

Archer leaned on the doorframe, less careful about keeping out of sight. Not that any of them were going to notice him. Even the adults were intent on shaping and molding their play dough.

“This is a very creative outlet for the adults and children,” a soft voice said behind Archer.

Archer turned, finding T’Pol was standing behind him, watching the group.

“Hi. You didn’t know they were here?”

“Hello, and no. Charles and Lieutenant Sato began these craft lesson for the children several months ago, but I have never joined when he’s taken Amy. She talks about the lessons frequently and appears to enjoy them a great deal.”

Archer looked at the group. “I can imagine that being cooped up on a flying tin can get a bit boring at times for the kids.”

“A flying…tin…can?”

Archer looked at T’Pol. She had an eyebrow lifted. He smiled.

“Good night T’Pol.”

“Good night, Captain.

Archer walked away with his tea. T’Pol remained at the door, watching the group.

She started when a voice said next to her, “Why don’t you just go in there and join them?”

T’Pol looked back at Archer.

He smiled. “Unless you’ve played with play dough before.”

“What is play dough?”

“Exactly what it sounds like. You can make anything with it.”

“I do not care to intrude.” T’Pol looked back at the group.

“I doubt they’d mind. Especially Amy and Trip. Night, T’Pol.”

Archer left the mess hall this time. T’Pol contemplated joining, but in the end she slipped away unnoticed.


Back to Chapter 8

The next short story is Hado Venceres Tradición

The next Tweens story is Bottom of the Ninth

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.