Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calvary"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: An alien race comes across a battered Enterprise and crew, and stops to provide aid. But an accident puts both crews on edge. A Klingon Bird of Prey is detected and the alien crew becomes desperate to gain the human's trust.


CHAPTER 1

The Nateue vessel Lryth slowed to a stop half a kilometer from a badly damaged Enterprise. There was a hole on one side of her and smoke escaped through several vents. All across her lights flickered on and off and there was scoring from phase cannons and missiles.

On the Lryth bridge, Captain Grfh was standing at the railing that surrounded the captain’s chair. He had bone ridges that looped around his ears and the top of his head. Soft, silky hair hung to the nape of his neck and he was dressed in a purple uniform with yellow lining the seam down the front and matched the yellow in his eyes. His fingernails were long, thick and came to a dull point.

He looked down at a monitor to his right, hearing his crew around him. His bridge had become silent since they’d detected this alien ship coming out of warp into their space.

“ConOfficer Drlk, hail them again,” Grfh ordered.

The officer sitting on the right side of the railing tried again. He looked up at Grfh.

“Still no response, Captain. From the damage, there may not be anyone alive to respond to the hail.”

Sitting to Grfh’s right sat a second officer. He shook his head, watching the screen before him. “I’m detecting bio-signs all over the ship, sir,” S-Officer Rthk said. He tapped the screen before him. “Environmental is failing. Other systems are going down across the ship.” Rthk looked up at Grfh. “If they aren’t stabilized in ten minutes, they will all die from suffocation.”

“Casualties?”

“I can’t tell. Medical scans are having difficulty making out the bio-signatures because there are several diff--Sir, there’s a Vulcan aboard this ship.”

Grfh looked down at Rthk, growling, “A Vulcan? One Vulcan?”

“Only one, sir.”

“Where at?”

“It appears to be their bridge, sir.”

Grfh sighed, watching Enterprise. “Con, can you translate the language on the hull there?” Grfh pointed at Enterprise’s name.

“No, sir,” Drlk answered.

“Nine minutes, sir,” Rthk reminded Grfh

“Why would there be a Vulcan aboard?”

“Perhaps it’s a hostage. For all we know the Vulcans could have attacked this ship.”

Grfh stood up, tapping a panel to his left. “Grfh to MedOfficer Wsth.”

“Go ahead, sir.”

Grfh rubbed his hand over his face and looked up. “Wsth...you need to join a team going to a damaged ship. Most likely heavy casualties, you’ll be in an environment suit, and--”

“I’ll meet the team right away, sir,” Wsth said.

“WSTH!”

“Yes, Captain?”

“You do not take your suit off until S-Officer Rthk tells you it is safe. You do not attempt anything risky. You go nowhere without two, repeat, TWO, guards. Understood, Wsth?”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Wsth?”

“Captain, I promise. I’ll do everything you told me.”

“Get suited and meet them at the transporter.”

“On my way, Captain.”

Grfh sighed, looking down at Rthk. “Watch her. I don’t want to go through another situation with her.”

Rthk rolled his lips together to keep from laughing as he stood and left.

#

Six armed Nateue in environmental suits appeared on the bridge. All the Starfleet crewmen on the bridge were unconscious. Archer was slumped over the helm controls and Travis laid on the floor beside the chair. Rthk followed Wsth over to Hoshi, watching her start to work. He motioned a guard to stand with her and walked around to the science station. He stopped when he found T’Pol lying on the floor.

“I’ve found the Vulcan. Post a guard here. Don’t let her get up.”

A Nateue walked over and stood guard next to T’Pol.

Rthk sat down at the controls and began working them. “I have no idea what any of this says,” Rthk complained to himself. “Rthk to Captain.”

“Go ahead.”

“Sir, I can’t read anything on these controls. I have no idea what’s what. Is ConOfficer Tjk ready to transport yet?”

“I’m on my way, Rthk.”

A second later another Nateue appeared and joined Rthk. She scanned the controls with a hand held device instrument in her hand. An alarm went off.

“Rthk,” Grfh said, “Environment will be gone in three minutes. Transport back immediately.”

“Negative, Captain.”

“Rthk, you’re about to lose environmentals. You can’t fix it in three minutes and you know that. There’s nothing we can do to help them. Get out of there”

“Then we’ll put a temporary bandage on it.”

Rthk grabbed the device out of Tjk hand and looked around him. He found a slot and slid the dataslip in. He tapped the top of it, watching the lights across the top. The alarm suddenly stopped and lights came back on.

“Captain, do scans show environmental systems stabilized?”

“Yes, but they’re linked into our environmental system. Why?”

“I’ve linked their environmental controls to ours our system until we can translate their language or stabilize it. Is oxygen levels safe enough to remove our gear?”

“They are.”

Rthk removed his helmet and the other Nateue did the same.

“Did you find the Vulcan?”

“Yes. It’s a female and she’s under guard. She has a head injury.”

“Was she restrained?”

“No.”

“Why would there be only one Vulcan on a bridge, not restrained?”

“I don’t know, sir.” Rthk turned back to the screen he was using, “but if these screens are like ours, I think this ship has taken heavy damage. Do you intend on abandoning them if we get environmental online?”

“Not unless they become hostile once they revive. I’m sending more crews on board to secure the ship. Identify their captain.”

“What if this Vulcan is the captain? They’ve used alien crews for suicide missions before.”

“Kill her and free the crew. Tjk.”

“Good plan, sir. Can I do that now and get it over with?”

Captain Grfh chuckled. “Let’s not jump the gun, Tjk. Just keep her under gun for now and work on their language. It’ll be easier to help them if they don’t think we’re trying to steal their ship.”

“Yes, sir.”

Rthk looked down at Wsth. “How is the alien?”

“Amazing.”

Rthk sighed, rolling his eyes. “Wsth, is there any living thing you don’t find amazing?”

Wsth smiled up at him, shaking her head. Rthk laughed, sitting back. Tjk ruffled Wsth’s hair as she stepped over her and Hoshi and sat down at the communications monitor.

“Lryth,” Tjk said and there was a soft beep. “Replicate a communications translator in my hand.” Tjk held her hand out, palm up.

A device appeared on her hand and she began working. The bridge became silent.

#

Archer heard talking, but he didn’t recognize the language. He opened his eyes, seeing Malcolm slumped in his chair. Archer sat up, grimacing when pain split across his abdomen. He started to get to his feet. A heavy hand pushed down on his shoulder, gently forcing him back into the chair. He turned his head, staring at the opening of a phase rifle. He looked up the barrel at the Nateue holding it. He looked around him, counting five more Nateue, including one that was doing something to Hoshi.

“Who are you?” Archer demanded.

He looked around him when Tjk stepped over Hoshi and walked up to him, speaking to him.

“What?”

She frowned, looking at a hand sized device in her hand. She spoke again, looking hopeful.

“I don’t understand you,” Archer told her.

She turned, speaking to someone. Archer heard another alien reply in the same language. She walked over to the science station and Archer noticed Rthk working at one of the monitors. Archer looked at the view screen. A ship three times the size of Enterprise was just off the bow.

Archer heard Rthk say something and looked around. He was standing, aiming his weapon down. The other Nateue standing at the end of the station was also aiming his weapon down. Two Nateue trotted over and lifted T’Pol to her feet, roughly dragging her out of Archer’s sight. He heard them angrily ordering her to do something and then it was quiet. Rthk and Tjk started talking and after several minutes Tjk returned to the communication monitor. The bridge was silent again.

Archer heard someone groan and turned his head. Trip was starting to get up. The Nateue standing guard next to him caught his arm and helped him to his feet. He cried out as soon as he put weight on his left leg and would have fallen if the Nateue hadn’t supported him. Another Nateue walked over and the two gently helped Trip into the captain’s chair. Archer risked turning the chair and the Nateue guarding him did nothing. Archer saw that two Nateue were guarding T’Pol at the back of the situation room. She had her hands behind her back and he assumed that meant they’d put restraints on her. Her head wound wasn’t bleeding any more, but it had turned dark green and yellow. Archer watched Wsth walk over to Trip and scan him. Trip appeared to be in too much pain to notice the situation. Wsth said something to him, pulling a hypospray out of the pocket on her leg. She shook his arm and he looked at her, and finally noticed the situation. He almost bolted out of the chair, but the two Nateue guarding him held him back in the chair. Wsth moved closer, patting his neck and waving the hypospray. She patted his leg and waved the hypospray, then shrugged.

“Leg. In the leg,” Trip said, pointing to his leg. “I hope that’s what she’s asking.”

Wsth unzipped the leg of his uniform and gently rolled it up. She pressed the hypospray to his leg and seconds passed before Trip’s pained expression relaxed some. Wsth pulled an instrument out of another pocket and began passing it back and forth over the bruise on Trip’s leg.

“Who are they?” Trip asked. Archer glanced up at the Nateue standing beside him. He was watching Archer.

“I don’t know,” Archer answered. The Nateue didn’t attempt to stop Archer from talking to Trip, so Archer continued. “How’s the leg?” Archer looked back at Trip.

“Numb now; which, considering how much it hurt before, is a good thing. You think they’re with the Klingons?”

Wsth looked up at Trip. “Klin-on?”

Trip nodded. “You with the Klingon?”

Wsth scowled, imitatin spitting and snarl, “Kl’ng srl fgh.” She spit again before returning to her work.

The Nateue around them murmured something, nodding.

“Don’t think they’re with the Klingons, Cap’n.”

“Observant, Trip. I just got the coordinates set before I lost consciousness.”

“Thank God for autopilot,” Trip muttered.

“Captain?” Malcolm said.

Archer turned, looking at him. He was starting to get to his feet. A Nateue trotted over to him and gently pushed him back into the chair, saying something. Malcolm looked up at him and then Archer.

“Who are these people?” Malcolm asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t even know what they want.”

Malcolm looked down at Wsth. “What’s she doing?”

“I don’t know,” Trip answered, “but my leg doesn’t feel broken.”

“Have they harmed anyone?”

Archer looked past Trip at T’Pol. “No. But they sure got T’Pol out of here in a hurry.”

“Maybe they think she’s the captain.”

“Maybe.”

Wsth pulled Trip’s uniform leg down and then moved to Archer. She scanned him and then made a motion, lifting her shirt and pointing to her ribs.

Archer’s brow furrowed. “I don’t understand. What?”

Wsth motioned him to wait and then reached up and grasped his zipper. She slowly pulled it down to his waist and gently pulled his arms out, careful not to jar the side his ribs hurt on. She unbuttoned his union suit top and pulled the arm out of the side the ribs were hurt. She pushed his arm up, making a motion that he assumed meant he needed to keep it up. She scanned his ribs again and frowned. She spoke up and one of the Nateue guarding T’Pol walked forward and held Archer’s arm up. Nateue again retrieved her hypospray and injected it into Archer’s side. She said something that made all the Nateue chuckle. The other guard reached down and gently patted the back of her head, shaking his finger at her. She smiled, continuing to work.

“Do we want to know what she said?” Trip asked.

“Not really.” Archer sighed, looking away.

His ribs stopped hurting, so for reasons unknown he assumed they weren’t trying to hurt Archer or his crew. For now he would allow them to work, until an opportunity presented itself or they could understand one another.

#

GuardOfficer Hfd led a group of a dozen GuardOfficers through the halls of Enterprise. They stopped at every door to check for crewmen, but they hadn’t found many on this deck. He stopped at a door and motioned guards to take position, and then opened it. He turned on a beacon and shined it into the room. He spotted several toys on the floor and two doors. He stepped in, reaching back to the control panel by the door. He touched the second button and light flooded the living room. He walked to a closed door, motioning a guard. He opened the door, aiming and shining his light in. Ensign Paris turned her head, holding Kasbra Reed closer to her. The girl buried her head into Karen’s shoulder. Jon Nathan pulled close to Paris, pressed even closer when Eartik and Navta pushed in close to Paris. Hfd turned on the lights and slowly approached them.

“I wish our translator was working,” he said to one of the guards.

“What should we do with them? She’s got kids.”

“And one needs a change. Wow!”

The Nateue chuckled.

Hfd looked around the room for items that were used for a baby but everything on this ship was so foreign he didn’t recognize anything.

“What are you looking for?” Navta asked in their language.

Hfd looked down, watching Navta watch him. She had moved away from Paris, but Paris had a tight grip on Navta’s wrist and was trying to pull her back.

Hfd slowly crouched down. “You can understand me?”

Navta nodded.

“You know our language? You’ve heard it before?”

She shook her head.

“So how do you know it?”

“K’pan says I’m a word genius like Hoshi.”

“Is this Hoshi?” Hfd pointed at Paris.

Navta shook her head.

“Who is this?”

“Karen.”

“Karen needs to change one of these babies.” Hfd laid his hand on Kasbra’s head. “Where are the things to change the baby?”

“They’re toddlers, not babies. Babies can’t walk or feed themselves.”

Hfd smiled. “Oh. I didn’t know that. I’m sorry. One of them still stinks.”

“It’s Jon Nathan. He pooped.”

Hfd laughed a little. “That generally makes them stink, doesn’t it? Where are the things...what’s your name?”

“I can’t tell you. You’re a stranger.”

“What if I tell you my name? Would you tell me yours then?”

Navta nodded.

“My name is Hfd. What’s yours?”

“Navta.”

Paris turned to Navta, speaking in the alien’s language. Hfd looked up at the guards around him.

“Trf and Klp, stay here. The rest of you keep searching. Remember, stun only if necessary and report any injured to Wsth immediately. Move out.”

The other ten guards left. Hfd looked back at Navta. He saw a fearful look in Paris’ eyes.

“What’s wrong? What did you tell her, Navta?”

“I told her you wanted her to change Jon’s diaper.”

“She looks scared.”

“Because you want to see if he’s healthy.”

Hfd furrowed his brow. “I didn’t say that, Navta.”

“Why do you want his diaper changed?”

“I have five children at home, Navta. Two are babies and I know what a dirty diaper does to a baby’s little bottom. He needs to have it changed so he doesn’t get a rash. You tell her exactly that, Navta. Don’t lie about what I’m saying.”

“I’m not lying.”

“Did I say I wanted to see if he was healthy?”

Navta looked down.

“Did I?”

“No.”

“Now you tell her exactly what I said. Don’t add what you think is appropriate, understood?”

Navta spoke again to Paris. Navta stood up and retrieved the items to change Jon Nathan. Navta took him from Paris and expertly changed him, then gave him back. She disposed the diaper and returned to Paris, standing close to her.

“Do you know where you ship’s captain is, Navta?”

“On the bridge.”

“Do you know him well?”

“Yes. I play with Porthos and he reads to me.”

“Why don’t we go up to the bridge so you can help me talk to him? We can’t seem to understand your language.”

“Varlikon?”

“Is that what it’s called?”

“K’pan’s language or my language? We speak different languages.”

“What does your Captain speak?”

“English.”

“It’s English we don’t understand.”

“English is easy to understand.”

“Then you can show our ConOfficer. She would love to understand it.”

“Why? What do you want with us?”

“Nothing.” Hfd stood, holding his hand out to Navta.

Navta shrank back behind Paris. Paris spoke again to her and Navta answered. Paris turned her head, talking quietly to Navta. Navta nodded, standing up.

“I’ll follow you. You can’t have my hand,” Navta informed Hdf.

“Okay. Lead the way to the bridge.”

Navta led him out of the quarters into the hall. They passed several unconscious crewmen being guarded by Nateue. Navta stopped at the lift and pressed the button. She looked up at Hdf. He smiled at her, resting his phase rifle in his arms.

“What kind of alien are you?” Navta asked.

“Nateue. And you?”

“I’m Jit.”

“And your captain?”

“He’s a human.”

“There aren’t many ships that have several species on one ship out here.”

“I know.” Navta looked away, ending the conversation. The lift opened and the two stepped on.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.