Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calvary"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: An alien race comes across a battered Enterprise and crew, and stops to provide aid. But an accident puts both crews on edge. A Klingon Bird of Prey is detected and the alien crew becomes desperate to gain the human's trust.


CHAPTER 2

Archer pulled his arm through his uniform sleeve, wincing a little. He zipped it up, closing his eyes a moment as the pain from his ribs faded away. Wsth had moved to Travis and was working on a burn on his face. Archer looked at the lift when the doors opened.

“K’PAN!” Navta cried, running to him and falling into his lap.

Archer smiled, pulling her onto his lap and hugging her. She hugged him viciously and kissed his cheek.

“I’m glad you’re alright,” Archer said.

The two rested their foreheads against each other, smiling at one another. Navta resituated herself on his lap, looking back at Hdf. He was waiting patiently, as if he didn’t mind the reunion or how long it might take.

“That’s Hfd,” Navta told Archer.

“You understand them?” Archer looked surprised.

“Yeah.” Navta leaned forward, looking down at Hoshi. “What’s wrong with Hoshi?”

“Ask her.” Archer motioned to Wsth.

Navta turned and spoke to Wsth. Wsth looked up at her. She smiled, replying.

“She says Hoshi hit her head and is unconscious,” Navta said, “but she fixed the injury. The swelling is going down slow. She’s not going to move her until it’s gone down quite a bit. She asked how your ribs feel. What happened to your ribs?”

“I broke them I think. Tell her they feel a lot better. Thank you.”

Navta answered.

“Now ask them what they’re doing here?”

Navta asked. Rthk stood, replying.

Navta looked up at Archer, pointing at Rthk. “He’s the senior officer, he said. He said they detected our ship and came to tell us to leave their space, but they found us badly damaged. He said that right now they’re making sure the crew gets medical attenion. Once their translators can understand our language, then they’ll aid us with repairs so we can leave their space.”

“If they’re helping us, why are they holding us hostage?” Archer asked.

Navta asked.

Rthk answered, sitting back down.

“He said he’s not going to try to hold diplomatic conversation with a child mediating. His children have a tendency of changing what gets said and they all speak the same language.” Navta scowled. “Hdf practically said the same thing before he brought me up here.”

Archer kissed her temple. “Seems some truths remain the same across the universe, honey.”

“I don’t do that!”

Archer smiled, hugging her. “We’ll wait.”

Tjk stepped over Hoshi, walking up. She crouched down, talking to Navta.

“What?” Archer asked.

“She asked if I would go to their ship. She said they could translate our language faster if they could use their ship’s computer. The dataslip doesn’t do such a good job of it. K’pan, I don’t want to go with them. Don’t make me.”

“I’m not. Tell her no.”

Navta shook her head. Tjk repeated her request with more insistence and Navta replied no. Rthk got up and walked over to Navta, speaking to her.

“He says that if they understood our language we could get started on repairs now. They need to understand our language to do that.”

“Tell him no. We’ll wait for Hoshi to come to. She can translate for them.”

Navta answered, pointing at Hoshi.

Rthk spoke to Wsth and she answered. Rthk shook his head, talking to Navta. He reached toward her and Navta pulled close to Archer. Archer wrapped his arms protectively around her, glaring at Rthk. Tjk said something, but Rthk waved his hand at her, shaking his head. He turned and went back to his work. Tjk turned, speaking to him, but Rthk repeated what he said more insistently.

“What’s happening?” Archer asked.

“The lady, Tjk, wants me to go with her, but Rthk told her no because neither of us are comfortable with it. He said we need to remain calm until they can understand us so something bad doesn’t happen.”

“He’s a good leader. I’d do the same in his place.”

Tjk turned back to Navta, speaking with a pleading one. Navta shook her head. Tjk grabbed Navta’s arm and Navta pulled back, yelling at her. Rthk stood, speaking sharply, but Tjk didn’t listen. Archer stood, pushing Navta behind him as soon as he stood. He kept himself between Navta and Tjk. Tjk spoke to Archer, motioning to Navta.

“What?” Archer asked Navta.

“She’s pleading that you make me go with her because this will go faster.”

“You know the answer, Navta.”

Navta snapped the no, hissing at her. Archer looked down when Tjk reached for Navta’s arm and saw Navta’s lip pull back to bite her.

“No Navta!” Archer yelled, lifting his arm up to stop her.

Navta’s fangs tore through Archer’s suit and union suit, plunging into his skin underneath and releasing her venom. Archer cried out, falling to his knees and then the floor. Navta pulled back, staring at Archer in horror. Archer swayed, losing his balance and falling to the floor. He cringed as pain from Navta’s venom caused raced through his body, constricted his lungs. He began to convulse.

“K’PAN!” Navta screamed, falling to her knees beside him. “Oh no. No, no, no!” Navta grabbed his other arm, trying to pull him back up.

Wsth jumped up and ran over to Archer. Nateue guards forced Trip and Malcolm to remain seated, watching the scene.

Wsth hastily unzipped Archer’s uniform and tore his union suit open. She pulled his arm out, gaping when she saw how fast the venom was eating away at Archer’s skin. She spoke to Rthk and he clearly said no. Wsth spun around, motioning to Archer and then Trip and then Malcolm. Rthk looked away for a moment. Wsth spoke again. He nodded.

Wsth reached up and grabbed a silver pin off of one of the guards and slapped it onto Archer’s shoulder, speaking while she did. She grabbed Navta’s arm and the three were transported off the ship.

“What the hell--” Trip started, springing to his feet. Two Nateue forced him back into the captain’s chair.

Rthk motioned to Tjk and she transported off the ship. Rthk leaned on the controls, putting his face in his hands.

“If you’re saying things just went to hell, you got that damn straight,” Trip snarled at Rthk. “There’s no cure for Navta’s venom. Our captain’s dead.”

Rthk looked at Trip for a long moment and then started pacing.

#

Archer opened his eyes and panicked. He was in a chamber filled with a cloudy blue gel liquid. He had something in his mouth and felt a tube in his throat. Strangely, he thought, it didn’t make him want to gag. Despite the lack of a gagging feeling he reached for the mouthpiece.

“Do not pull the tube out,” a voice said.

Archer looked around him. He couldn’t see anything.

“Relax, Captain Archer. You need to breathe normal and bring your heart rate down. The shf is suspending Navta’s venom. I’m trying to synthesize anti-venom. I’m giving you something to make you sleep until I can make anti-venom. You’ll feel the effects shortly.”

Archer turned his head.

“K’pan?” he heard Navta said.

“Honey, he can’t answer you, only hear your,” the other voice said, “Talk to him. Calm him down.”

“K’pan, I’m really sorry. I guess I’m not a very good girl.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that,” the other voice said, “If I had a daughter that was as protective of me as you are, I’d feel kind of special.”

Archer smiled, nodding.

“He nodded!” Navta said.

“He can do that.”

“Tjk figured out our language. They’re going to wait until your better to try talking to the crew. There’s a lot hurt and they think you should be there.”

Archer shook his head.

“No? No they wouldn’t wait?”

Archer nodded.

“Are you sure, K’pan?”

Archer nodded.

“They don’t like Vulcan’s, though, K’pan. They hate them. They won’t listen to T’Pol.”

Archer shook his head.

“No...don’t do it.”

Archer nodded.

“Do it. But that about T’Pol--”

Archer shook his head.

“Don’t talk to T’Pol?”

Archer nodded.

“But she’s second in command, K’pan. Who else...Trip? They should talk to Trip?”

Archer nodded.

“You gotta tell Rthk that, Wsth. He needs to talk to Trip and get started.”

“Rthk knows best,” Wsth said.

“Rthk isn’t the Captain, is he?”

“No.”

“Then how does he know best? K’pan knows best for Enterprise. She’s his ship.”

There was silence and then a warm chuckle. “Captain Archer, Navta told me you’d adopted her a year ago. Did you know that already she’s showing your stubbornness? I saw it on the ship before she bit you.”

Archer smiled, nodding.

“I’ll tell Rthk. I cannot promise anything.”

Archer nodded.

“She’s gone away to talk to him. K’pan, I love you. I’m really sorry.”

Archer nodded.

“You should sleep. She said that makes the time in there go faster.”

Archer nodded, closing his eyes.

“I can tell you a story. Should I tell you a story?”

Archer nodded.

“Okay. Once there was a boy and a girl that lived with a poor father...”

Archer didn’t hear any more of the story.

3

Trip watched Rthk talk. Rthk stood and walked around to the communication controls. He looked over them, asking several questions. He tapped a button. The view monitor changed to show the Lryth bridge and Captain Grfh standing in front of his chair.

“Commander Tucker, I presume?”

Trip slowly stood, eyeing the two Nateue on either side of him. They didn’t attempt to stop him from standing.

“I didn’t think you could speak our language.”

“We can’t. ConOfficer Tjk was able to interpret your language here. We can’t download it into my soldier’s badges until they return to the Lryth.”

“That doesn’t seem like a very good way to use translators.”

“The Lryth is a warship, Commander Tucker. Were we a science vessel, things would be different. We wouldn’t even be in this situation. An officer would have translated the language and uploaded it to all the badges. But on a war vessel, we aren’t interested in interpreting languages. Normally. This is not a normal situation. You, as of yet, have not proven to be an enemy of the Nateue or an ally of our enemies, save the Vulcans. Explain this Vulcan’s presence on your ship.”

“Why should I? You have us hostage.”

“You aren’t being held hostage. You’re being kept still for your own safety and that of your crew.”

“How is holding us hostage keeping my crew safe?”

“We can sit here and debate the validity of my actions or we can get to the point that I chose to contact you about. Which would you prefer, Commander Tucker?”

Trip frowned. “The point.”

“We’ve scanned most of the occupants of your ship and several have DNA of animals and this young one we have on board has that of a snake. Why have you blended animal DNA your own DNA?”

“We haven’t. Those are Jit and the other DNA in them is Varlikon, a different humanoid alien species.”

Grfh nodded, sighing. “So you are familiar with the loathsome Varlikon, are you?”

“Too familiar, unfortunately.”

“We’d heard them mention Jit, but the way they spoke of them they were pets or animals.”

“Does Navta look like a pet or animal?”

“No.” Grfh smiled. “She reminds me of my niece. Has about the same temper and stubbornness too.”

“You don’t know the half of it.”

Grfh’s smile broadened. “I imagine I don’t. Your captain is healing, but it’s going to take time. The child’s venom is the most toxic our medic has ever seen.”

Trip was suddenly hopeful. “She has a cure for it?”

“Yes. You don’t?”

“No.”

“She had mentioned synthesizing the anti-venom was difficult, but she has hope. She said your physiology is simple. I wish my ConOfficer could have said the same about your language.”

“How is he?”

“We’ll be able to give you more information in eight hours. We must discuss the Vulcan’s presence, Commander.”

“T’Pol is our science officer and Captain Archer’s second in command.”

“Why is she on your vessel? I’ve never known a Vulcan to serve as a second in command on an alien vessel.”

“It’s a really long story, but she’s been with us for eight years and she is second in command.”

“Regardless, my crew isn't comfortable with her.”

“So we’re supposed to leave her shackled until you leave?” Trip motioned back at T’Pol. “She’s got wounds and that can’t be helping any. I won’t let her stay like that. She’s my friend.”

“Friend? You consider this Vulcan your friend?”

“Yes.”

“She has not lied or deceived you?”

“Not any more.”

“Not any more? When did she last lie or deceive you?”

“Over seven years ago. Now she’s my girlfriend, so I have more trust in her than I ever did.”

“Girlfriend?” Grfh smiled. “She is a highly unusual Vulcan.”

“You have no idea,” Malcolm muttered.

Grfh smiled more at the comment. “I will make a compromise with you. We will treat her injuries and confine her to her quarters until we depart. Outside her quarters one of my guards will be posted and one of your guards will be posted. That way you can be assured she is not mistreated. Can we agree to this?”

Trip nodded.

“Wsth.”

Wsth looked up from Travis. “Yes?”

“See to the Vulcan’s wounds. Rthk, take her to her quarters and then post two guards. Commander Tucker will send a guard at his earliest convenience to replace one. Be sure to tell them.”

Rthk nodded.

“Was there anything beyond ship repairs you wish to discuss?” Grfh asked.

Trip shook his head.

“I am going to ask you to wait for a little bit longer. I’m going to bring two officers at a time back to the Lyrth to upload the language to their badges. Once that is done, Rthk tells me your environment systems are currently linked with ours to keep them online. We must remedy this. We’re at the edge of our territory and we are not safe.”

“I agree.”

“This will take ten minutes. Please be patient, Commander Tucker.”

“I’ll wait.”

The view monitor changed to show the Lyrth. Trip sat back down.

“Do you trust them?” Malcolm asked.

“Not really, but if he’s right about the environmental systems, we gotta fix that before we try anything.” Trip watched a Nateue and Rthk disappear, adding, “Course, they could be telling the truth.”

Rthk reappeared with Navta. Navta ran over to Trip, climbing into his lap and hugging him.

“Captain Archer is asleep and should be for a little while,” Rthk told Trip, “When he awakens she can return.”

“Thanks.”

Rthk nodded once. “We need to fix the system, but perhaps you would like to check on crewmembers first?”

Trip got up, keeping a hold of Navta’s hand.

“She should stay here,” Rthk said.

“No. Jit are empathic. She can tell me things that crewmen won’t.”

Rthk looked down at Navta. “You can feel other’s emotions?”

Navta nodded.

Rthk crouched down. “And what am I feeling?”

Navta watched his eyes. “Nervous. Happy. Impressed.”

Rthk smiled, ruffling her hair. “That’s right.”

Navta offered a slight smile.

Rthk looked at Trip. “Lead the way.”

Trip walked to the lift and stepped on.

#

T’Pol looked at the door when she heard it unlock. It opened and Trip walked in with the two guards following him. Trip turned to the human crewman and spoke quietly. The crewmen left. Trip smiled at T’Pol, watching her stand up.

“You wanted to see me?”

“I want to see Captain Archer.”

“He’s still on the Nateue ship.”

“I know. I wish to see him. It’s been two days. I want to see him now, Commander.”

Trip looked away with an exasperated sigh. He grabbed T’Pol’s arms and gently guided her back into her chair, crouching down in front of her.

“T’Pol, the Nateue hate Vulcans.”

“Commander, I insist--”

“T’Pol, the last Vulcan that ever stepped foot on one of their vessels was shot the minute he stepped through the airlock. I’m not about to let you go over there. Navta’s been going back and forth and she’s assured me they’re taking care of him.”

T’Pol stood again, watching Trip stand up.

“I want to see Captain Archer, Commander. Do you truly trust these aliens? Have they really gained your trust?”

Trip watched her face. He leaned over and gently kissed her cheek.

“I’ll see what I can do, honey.”

“He’s your best friend. Do more than you can.”

Trip nodded and left the room.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.