Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calvary"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: An alien race comes across a battered Enterprise and crew, and stops to provide aid. But an accident puts both crews on edge. A Klingon Bird of Prey is detected and the alien crew becomes desperate to gain the human's trust.


CHAPTER 3

T’Pol walked into the Nateue Sickbay, staring at the container she was being led toward. It was filled with milky blue liquid and she could barely make out Archer’s form in it.

“I’ve never seen a Vulcan before. My father curses the very name when it’s mentioned, however,” someone said behind T’Pol.

T’Pol turned, watching Wsth walk up. She smiled, extending her hand to T’Pol. T’Pol shook it.

“I remember hearing mention of the Nateue on a few occasions,” T’Pol replied, “but apparently, confrontations with your race is not widely remembered or discussed among my people.”

“The war we fought was quick. We lost and were forced to retreat into space.”

T’Pol turned to the cylinder. “War seems to have brought our races together again, but under a different pact. How is my captain?”

“The venom is strong. The strongest I’ve ever encountered. Navta’s been very patient with my testing, thankfully. She’s even allowed me to collect some samples.”

“She cares a great deal for Captain Archer. They are almost father and daughter.”

“I was under that impression.”

T’Pol looked at Wsth. “Explain what this liquid is that Captain Archer is in.”

“It’s a metabolic suspension gel. We use it in a variety of medical procedures. In your Captain’s case, I’m using it to suspend the spread of the venom while I try to synthesize anti-venom.”

“How is he responding to the anti-venom?”

“He’s...” Wsth shook her head, looking at T’Pol. “Not well. I haven’t been able to perfect one that doesn’t inflict an allergic reaction. These aliens-- They call themselves humans, correct?”

T’Pol nodded.

“They have such a delicate physiology.”

“That has been my experience.”

Wsth smiled. “You care for him and the other’s, don’t you?”

“I have grown to respect them, despite their flaws.”

Wsth nodded, looking up at Archer’s face. “They have some will to live. More than I’ve seen in some Nateue.”

“Indeed.”

“You can only stay for two hours a day. Captain Grfh is nervous that you’re aboard. I will alert you immediately when your captain can come out of the chamber.”

“I’m staying until he does.”

“You can’t stay. That wasn’t the agreement.”

T’Pol looked at Wsth. “I’m amending the agreement. I am staying here until Captain Archer returns to Enterprise.”

Wsth looked up at the chamber. “I’ll talk to Captain Grfh. Navta also wants to stay.”

“That is to be expected. Ask if she may remain.”

“I will. I won’t promise anything, Sub-Commander.” Wsth turned, walking to the door.

“How did you know my rank?” T’Pol asked, turning.

Wsth turned back to her. “Just because we despise Vulcans, doesn’t mean we don’t know about Vulcans. You’re rank is on your uniform.” Wsth left Sickbay.

T’Pol turned back to the chamber.

#

Trip turned away from a panel on the engine, stopping short to keep from running into Rthk.

“Are you almost done repairing environmental systems?”

“I would be,” Trip stepped around him, “if you and your men would stop interfering with my orders of sending crewmen to parts of the ship that need repair.”

Rthk followed Trip, telling him, “You must hurry with repairs. They must be done in an hour.”

“Why? Is that when the slave ship comes for us?” Trip growled.

“What slave ship?”

Trip stopped, looking up at the ceiling.

“Commander,” a crewman said, walking up with a PADD in hand. A Nateue followed behind her. “These systems need replaced, they’re beyond repair.”

Trip took the PADD, looking them over. “I think we have some spare boards in the shuttle pod. Get your guide to take you down there and get started on it right away.”

She nodded, leaving with the Nateue.

“Commander, how long?”

“I told you, Rthk, I don’t know because you and your men keep interrupting me.” Trip walked over to a monitor, pulling up the systems. “What’s the hurry?”

“There is a ship on long range sensors approaching. It’s Klingon.”

Trip spun around. “Klingon?”

“Yes. Apparently they’ve followed you here. If they attack while environmental controls are still linked to the Lryth, your crew will--”

“Yeah, yeah. I get it. Then you gotta back off, Rthk. I can’t fix anything with you and your crew breathing down our necks.”

“But you could fix it if we aided, couldn’t you?”

Trip lifted his chin. “Yeah.”

Rthk touched his silver pin. “Rthk to all officers. You will aid the Enterprise crew in repairs. A Klingon vessel is approaching and will be within weapons range within an hour. Environmental controls have priority, and then move to the engine, weapons and all other systems following that. Rthk out.”

“What about my captain?”

“That is a problem. Wsth is uncertain how long his recovery is going to take.”

Trip leaned toward Rthk. “You’re stalling.”

“Stalling?”

“What’s happening to my Cap’n?”

“I told you. His recovery is taking longer than it should.”

Trip stared at Rthk.

“Commander,” a crewman said.

Trip turned to the crewman. “Get started on repairs. Tell the crews to step it up.”

“Aye, sir,” The man turned and left.

Trip looked back at Rthk. “If he dies, it better be on this ship, Rthk. You be sure to tell your captain that. Because if he dies on your ship, I know me and the rest of his crew will think you did it.”

“Even though the Vulcan has not left his side since she came aboard?”

“Even though.” Trip turned and walked away.

#

Archer turned his head, swallowing.

“T’Pol,” he heard Navta say. “T’Pol, he’s awake.”

“Quiet, Navta,” T’Pol said quietly. “Allow him to rest.”

Archer felt a hand slid into his and squeezed it.

“Are you awake, K’pan?” Navta asked.

“I can’t tell yet. Give me a kiss on the cheek so I can be sure.”

Archer smiled when he felt Navta kiss his cheek. He opened his eyes, watching her worried face.

“How’s my girl?” Archer asked.

“I’m sorry I bit you.”

“It’s okay, Navta. It wasn’t your entire fault. Don’t feel guilty about it.”

Navta pulled her hand away, looking down. “This is all my fault. Everything that happened. If I’d listened to you about coming to the bridge without asking, the Klingon wouldn’t have thought you were being rude and they wouldn’t have started shooting. That is all my fault.”

Archer reached out, touching her shoulder. “No, Navta. There was a lot more going on before you came to the bridge. You didn’t cause the battle. You didn’t mean to bite me. I’m not angry with you. I’m just relieved you’re okay.”

Navta looked up at him. She leaned up on her toes, hugging Archer.

“I love you, K’pan. A whole lot.”

Archer kissed her head. “I love you too, Navta. Can you see if I can have some water?”

“Be right back. Wsth stepped out but I know where she went.”

Navta spun, dodged running into T’Pol and ran out of the Sickbay. T’Pol watched her leave before turning back to Archer.

“Give me a guestimate of how many times that kid asked you if I was going to make it,” Archer told T’Pol.

“I lost count, Captain.”

Archer closed his eyes. “I feel wiped out. What was that stuff they put me in?”

“Apparently it is a bio-molecular stasis fluid that they have created for a multitude of medical uses. It causes regeneration of cells and introduces medicines to the body. In your case, it was used to suspend Navta’s venom to prevent it from spreading until Wsth could develop anti-venom you didn’t have an allergic reaction to. They need to return you to the chamber shortly to regenerate muscle, tendons and skin the venom disintegrated.”

“Is Phlox here?”

“No. He’s been treating injured crewmen on Enterprise.”

“What have you found out about these aliens, T’Pol?”

“Commander Tucker may be able to answer that. I have not been allowed to talk to any of the Nateue, aside from Doctor Wsth. She appears to be the only Nateue that has overcome her prejudice of Vulcans.”

“Prejudice?”

“Wsth explained to me that the Nateue claim the Vulcan’s started their last war. They also feel Vulcans are deceitful, dishonest and are overly proud.”

Archer closed his eyes, grimacing.

“Captain?”

“My arm hurts.”

“You should be going back into the chamber in a few minutes.”

“How is my star patient today?” Wsth asked, walking into Sickbay with Navta trailing behind her.

“He wants a glass of water,” Navta said.

Wsth put her arm around Navta’s shoulder, guiding her toward the bed. “So you’ve told me, Navta. Five times.”

Archer smiled. “She’s insistent.”

“Stubborn is more like it. Reminds me of you.”

Archer looked at Wsth, finding her smiling. She picked up a scanner, ran it over Archer and looked at it.

“Well, your heart rate has finally stabilized. The last anti-venom was pretty hard on your system, but it did kill the venom.” Wsth looked at Archer. “Being stubborn isn’t all bad.”

“Thanks.”

Wsth frowned at her scanner.

“What is it?”

“I think I’ll wait until after the attack.”

“What attack?”

Wsth looked at T’Pol. “You haven’t told him?”

“It’s irrelevant at this time.”

“Isn’t he your captain?”

“What’s irrelevant?” Archer asked.

“Yes, but it is not relevant at this time.”

“How can you say that? The Kl--”

“He is unable to take command of his ship. It is irrelevant.”

“Ladies?”

The Lyrth rocked. T’Pol and Wsth grabbed the bio-bed to keep from falling.

“They’re early,” Wsth said, looking up.

“Indeed,” T’Pol replied.

“They who?”

“The Klingons,” T’Pol, Wsth and Navta answered.

“I have to go back to Enterprise,” Archer said, starting to get up.

“No. You’re staying right here,” Wsth said, putting her hand on his chest.

“I have to be on my ship.”

The Lyrth rocked again.

“Captain, Wsth needs to finish treating you,” T’Pol told him.

“I am the captain. I have to be on my shi--” Archer was cut off when T’Pol grabbed his shoulder, right at the neck bend and pinched on the nerve, knocking him unconscious.

Wsth laughed from surprise, looking up at T’Pol. “You just knocked your captain unconscious, Sub-Commander!”

“He was not fully recovered. He needs to remain with you. See to his medical needs, Doctor Wsth. I need to return Enterprise to take command.”

Wsth turned, speaking to the guard at the door, “Get Sub-Commander T’Pol to Enterprise. Be quick about it.” Wsth turned back, glancing at Navta. She looked at T’Pol. “What about the child?”

“She will remain. If Enterprise does not survive, he will be thankful she is with him.” T’Pol walked away with the guard.

Wsth looked down at Navta. She was staring at the floor. Wsth crouched down in front of Navta. The Lyrth rocked again and Wsth grabbed the edge of the bio-bed to keep from falling over.

“Let’s get K’pan back in the chamber, okay?”

Navta nodded.

Wsth laid her hand on Navta’s cheek. “What is it, Navta?”

“This is all my fault. I never should have ran onto the bridge.”

“I doubt that, Navta. And Captain Archer is going to be okay.”

Navta looked at Wsth, looking into her eyes. “You’re not lying.”

“Of course I’m not.”

“I mean you really aren’t lying to make me feel better.”

Wsth tilted her head. “You can feel emotions.”

“All Jit can.”

Wsth nodded. “I’ll have to add that to my paper.” Wsth winked, smiling, “and that the one I worked with liked her red teddy bear. Even made me send a guard back for it.”

Navta smiled. Wsth patted her arm, standing. She turned and pressed several buttons on the bio-bed. The Lyrth shook again. Wsth looked down when Navta wrapped her arm around her waist. Wsth gently stroked the child’s hair.

“We’ll survive.”

“But what about Enterprise?”

“They’ll survive. You’ll see that annoying Vulcan again.”

Navta smiled up at Wsth. “She’s not so annoying. You just have to get to know her.”

“We all have our own reservation on that subject, Navta.” Wsth pressed another button and Archer was transported to the preparation bed to be put into the chamber again.

#

T’Pol appeared on the bridge only seconds before Enterprise rocked from a phase canon blast. Trip turned from the science station to her.

“It’s about time!” Trip yelled at her.

“I was delayed. How are the environmental controls coming?”

“Almost there. But not if these damn Klingons keep hitting us.”

“Lieutenant Sato, get me Vardee. Where are all the Nateue?”

“They went back to their ship. Why are you getting her?” Trip asked.

“She needs to join the attack.”

“The Cap’n didn’t want her involved. He didn’t want an incident with the High Council, T’Pol.”

“We are beyond that, Commander. If she does not provide us cover in the Diedra, we will die.” T’Pol looked at Trip. “Would you prefer this?”

Trip scowled, turning back to his work.

“Yes?” Sista said on the overhead COMM.

“Vardee, launch the Diedra. Provide us cover until we can get environmental controls back online. Once we are capable of fighting, I will alert you. You will need to provide support, but we do not want to destroy the Klingon vessel.”

“Why?”

“Captain Archer wished not to do this during our first encounter. We will obey his orders?”

“I can take out weapons and engines.”

“Do not destroy the ship.”

“And what of Nateue? They know this?”

“I cannot speak to them. You have your orders.”

T’Pol grabbed the railing when Enterprise shook again. She looked up at the view monitor, watching the Lyrth. It was firing back at the Klingon ship, but it wasn’t moving out of range with Enterprise.

#

“Captain,” Rthk said, his brow furrowing.

“What?” Grfh asked, not looking up from the monitors before him.

“A vessel launched from Enterprise. I can’t...get any readings on it. It appears to be far more advanced than the Lyrth.”

“Where is it headed?”

“It’s laying in an attack on the Klingon vessel.”

“Continue firing.”

“Aye, sir.”

Grfh glanced at the view monitor, watching the Diedra race past, firing on the Klingon ship.

#

“GOT IT!” Trip cried out, tapping the screen. “Environmental controls are back on line!”

“Lieutenant Sato, alert the Nateue and tell them we are under orders not to destroy the Klingon vessel. Mister Mayweather, head for the Bird of Prey. Target their weapons and shields, Lieutenant Reed.”

“Aye, Sub-Commander,” the three replied.

T’Pol gripped the arms of the chair when Enterprise rocked.

“Shields are down,” Malcolm reported.

“The Nateue vessel are attacking the Klingon’s, ma’am,” Travis told T’Pol.

“Inform them we are under orders to disable the vessel, not to destroy it.”

“Too late,” Malcolm said, looking up at T’Pol.

T’Pol looked up at the view monitor. The Klingon Bird of Prey was exploding before them.

“Move us away, Mister Mayweather. Recall the Diedra, Lieutenant Sato.”

“They didn’t have to kill ‘em,” Trip muttered.

T’Pol looked down without replying.

#

Archer opened his eyes; he was glad to see his own Sickbay surrounding him. He turned his head, watching T’Pol. She was sitting on a stool using a stylus to write on a PADD.

“T’Pol,” Archer said.

T’Pol looked up at him. She stood.

“How are you feeling, Captain?”

“Confused. How’d I get here?”

“As soon as regeneration was complete the Nateue transported you here. They were anxious to continue on their patrol.”

“The last thing I remember was their ship was under attack.”

“Yes.” T’Pol frowned a little. “I rendered you unconscious. I apologize, Captain.”

Archer smiled, even laughed a little. “You knocked me out? T’Pol! I didn’t think you had that in you!”

“You are not angry?”

“I doubt I was any condition to take command of Enterprise at the time.”

“You were not.”

“What happened to the Klingon ship?”

“The Nateue destroyed it.”

Archer’s smile vanished. “Why?”

“Apparently that ship and four others have been attacking the Nateue border patrols for several months. When we were able to take their shields off line, Captain Grfh took advantage of the opportunity. He asked that I send his apologies. He understands that we are not at war with the Klingons, but he also sent his warning that they are not to be trusted. He said the Nateue have been defending their borders from their attacks for the last ten years and have lost many ships and crews to the Klingon. He cleared us for passage through their territory to avoid further attacks. I believe he was impressed by how forgiving your crew was for the misunderstanding.”

“Misunderstanding?”

“Many crew, including Commander Tucker, believed you had been taken hostage and were not as injured as I or the Nateue said. When you were returned to Enterprise, Doctor Phlox was able to confirm you had indeed been severely injured from Navta’s venom. Commander Tucker personally apologized to Captain Grfh on behalf of the crew.”

Archer smiled. “Good old Trip. He knows how to butter them up.”

“Indeed.”

Archer closed his eyes. “I leave my ship for a few days and all hell breaks loose. Teach me to get injured.”

T’Pol didn’t reply.

“Where’s Navta?”

“I sent her to school. She has been away from her lessons for a week.”

“Good. Be sure to tell her I expect to see her when she gets out.”

“I will inform her. Do you wish to rest?”

“Yes.”

T’Pol turned and stopped. She looked back at Archer.

“Captain, did you ever trust the Nateue?”

“Yes.”

“At what point?”

“When I woke up in their Sickbay after Navta bit me, I was alive and Navta was there. Enemies don’t usually heal their enemies and allow their children to visit them.”

T’Pol turned. “Why did you not say something to me then?”

Archer looked at her. “If I recall, T’Pol, you and the Nateue doctor were arguing about telling me of the Klingon attack.”

“We were not arguing. I was not going to tell you. In your condition the information was irrelevant.”

Archer smiled. “T’Pol, once that subconscious of yours surfaces during meditation, come back with the truth to that. I really need some sleep.”

T’Pol turned and left. Archer went back to sleep.


Back to Chapter 2

This series continues in Excess Baggage

The next Tweens story is Borderline

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.