Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Double the Blind"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip and T'Pol are tricked into entering an entity that lives off the life essence of others. When Archer and the crew try to save them, they're attacked by a 'friendly' ship and forced to abandoned the two.


CHAPTER 2 : Grand Meeting

“Good morning, sir,” Hoshi said as she fell into step beside Archer, which was practically a jog to keep up with his long-legged stride.

“Tell me you have the alien’s language figured out, Hoshi,” Archer said, not looking up from the PADD in his hand.

“Well, sort of. It’s really crude, but it may work.”

“Can it be used?”

“I don’t know.”

Archer smiled. “I don’t know doesn’t work for me, Hoshi. Is it usable or not?”

“I don’t know. They went to sleep or something three hours ago, Ensign Shipper told me, so I’m going to have to wait to find out.”

“They went to sleep?” Archer looked at her.

“It’s the only thing I can think of.” Hoshi smiled. “All the tentacles disappeared back into the nebula and they stopped making noise.”

“Sleep is a good assumption. Let’s go with that.”

Hoshi chuckled. “I wish I had more, sir. Sorry.” Hoshi yawned, covering her mouth to muffle it. “I am beat this morning.”

The two stopped at the lift.

“Me too,” Archer commented, “but the excitement of all this probably doesn’t do any of us much good when it comes to getting beauty sleep.”

“And Heaven knows you need all of that you can get, sir,” Trip joked as he came up behind them.

“Look who’s talking,” Archer shot back with a smile.

“Good morning, sir,” Hoshi greeted Trip.

“Mornin’ Hoshi, sir.” Trip nodded once to both of them.

The lift door opened and the three stepped on. Trip yawned, leaning against the wall.

“That engine is going to be the death of me yet, Captain,” Trip said.

Archer was reading the PADD in his hand again. “I didn’t sign you up for this gig. Don’t tell me your engine troubles.”

“Yes you did.”

“No I didn’t.” Archer looked up, crossing his arms. “All I said is that this would be a chance of a lifetime and that if you stayed on Jupiter station you’d have to see the same thing day in, day out. I then suggested you come along as the Chief Engineer so we could wreak havoc on the universe.”

“And then you signed me up for this gig.”

Archer looked at him, smiling. “Admiral Garner twisted my arm. I told him you’d be trouble but he forced me into it. I even told him that with you and me together could start a galactic war, but he didn’t listen. Still insisted.”

Trip laughed, stepping off the lift when the door opened. “See you at lunch.”

Archer laughed, calling out, “Noon, Trip, NOON! Not fifteen- or sixteen-hundred today!”

“Yeah! Yeah!” Trip called back, the doors cutting off a third ‘yeah.’

The lift resumed its ascension.

“And here I thought I was the only one on this ship that got suckered into this,” Hoshi said.

Archer looked back at her. “Me? Sucker someone? When have I ever suckered someone into doing anything?”

“Do you want me to name exact dates, times, places and people, or shall I just average it out on a weekly basis, sir?”

“Now is that any way to talk about your handsome, caring, considerate and beloved captain?”

Hoshi laughed. “Hmmm. I’d have to say you got at least one of those right, sir. One out of four isn’t a total loss.”

“Which one was right?”

“Oh..that’d be a toss up, sir. I’ll think about it and get back to you.”

Archer laughed, playfully slapping her arm with the PADD in his hand. “Watch it Hoshi. I’m the king on this ‘ere ship.”

“Did you want to add conceited, self-righteous and self-proclaimed ruler to that previous list of erroneous characteristics, sir?” Hoshi joked with a grin.

Archer laughed. “Only you would be so bold, Hoshi.”

“Me and Trip and Vardee and when you make him mad, Malcolm.”

“True!”

The lift door opened and the two walked out onto the bridge.

“I have made some progress on the alien language,” T’Pol reported.

Both stopped and looked at her.

“You have?” Hoshi asked, walking up to T’Pol’s side.

T’Pol showed her what she had finished.

“When did you do this?” Hoshi asked.

“Over the night. I was unable to rest.”

“Do Vulcan’s get excited?” Archer asked.

T’Pol and Trip both looked at him. He was leaning on the railing around the science station.

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Must have just been into your work, then, right?” Archer asked with a wink at Hoshi. He turned and disappeared into his ready room without waiting for a reply.

T’Pol looked up at Hoshi, who returned her serious gaze with a smile.

“You were saying?” Hoshi asked.

T’Pol continued where she had left off.

#

“Sir,” Hoshi said as she stepped into Archer’s ready room.

Archer looked up from his work, seeing her gaze was on the tentacle pressed against the port window behind him.

“It’s been there all day,” Archer said, smiling.

Hoshi walked up, putting her hand up to the window. The tentacle formed a hand, pressing it against the window opposite Hoshi’s.

“They are fascinating, aren’t they?” Archer asked her.

“Very,” Hoshi smiled, “and they seem to want to communicate as much as we do.”

“Any luck on their language?”

Hoshi turned away, looking down at Archer. “That’s what I came in for. We broke it about five minutes ago, sir. I’m pretty sure you can carry on a conversation without many, if any, misinterpretations.”

“So what are we standing around here for?”

Hoshi chuckled. “Thought you’d like that.”

Archer followed her back out to the bridge.

“Ready?” Archer asked T’Pol.

“The translator is online.”

“Let’s say hello, Hoshi.”

Hoshi walked over to her station and sat down. She turned around to a console and transmitted a hello in the alien’s language through external audio and on all channels.

On the view screens the tentacles that had been exploring the outside of Enterprise’s hull for the last three days stopped moving as one and moved away from the ship.

“Again,” Archer told Hoshi.

Hoshi sent hello again. The tentacles suddenly disappeared into the nebula. Archer looked at Hoshi.

“I’m pretty sure it was hello, sir.” Hoshi let out a frustrated sigh. “They’ve stopped talking too.”

All of a suddenly the tentacles reappeared and flew out toward Enterprise.

“Polarize the hull?” Malcolm asked.

“No,” Archer said, but he had to resist belaying the order as he watched them race toward Enterprise.

The tentacles stopped just short of the hull.

Over the bridge COM came a computerized voice that stated, “Greetings, species.”

Archer smiled and everyone let out his or her held breath at once.

“Greetings. I’m Captain Archer of the starship Enterprise,” Archer said.

The tentacles went back to exploring the ship.

“We are the Bitanag. You have come in peace?” the Bitanag asked.

“Yes.”

“What is your designation? You are not like others that have approached.”

“We’re human.”

“Human? We have not seen human.”

“We’ve never seen any like your kind before.”

“You are unafraid of our presence?”

“Yes.”

“Good. You have stayed for a long time without talking. Why have you taken so long?”

“We had to translate your language first. That took us a while.”

“How have you found us? We keep ourselves from being detected.”

“We were told you were here by a freighter captain. And we did notice you could keep from being detected. How do you do that?”

“Not of importance. A freighter captain’s story did not frighten you of us?” the Bitanag inquired.

“He told us you were a sentient being and that some have communicated with you. We had no reason to be afraid.”

“We do not normally enjoy company. Most act aggressively and fire upon us. We keep to ourselves.”

“Apparently the captain hasn’t had that experience. Do you provoke them?”

“We do not believe so. We remain hidden unless they stop here and then we try to communicate. Many misunderstandings have occurred.”

“I imagine so.”

“Captain Archer.. You are the one we met three nights ago. The first to put a tentacle to the clear wall.”

“The tentacle is called a hand and the wall’s called a window and yes, we did meet then.”

“What is that creature that is with you? He makes noise we can hear sometimes. Not like the noise you are making now, however.”

“You can see?”

“We see much. Does that disturb you?”

“No. I guess I have a lot to learn about your species.”

“We have much to learn about yours. The creature.. Tell me of it.”

“That’s a dog. His name is Porthos and he’s my pet and friend.”

“A dog..interesting. There are those on your ship that sense emotions, we have felt them. Are they human too?”

“Those are Jit. You can sense emotions?”

“Yes. They are delightful. We have not met many species that can sense emotions like we can. Are there others on your ship that are not human? We have sensed at least two that feel like feel their own emotions stronger than the rest. Is that possible? Are there humans on your ship that are like that?”

Archer looked back at T’Pol. “Think they have a question for you, T’Pol.”

T’Pol stood and walked over to join Archer. “I am Sub-Commander T’Pol and yes, you have sensed me correctly. The other is a Denobulan; he is our ship’s doctor. It is my understanding he and I do not feel our emotions the same as humans and Jit.”

“There are many diverse cultures that have passed us, yet you are the first ship with diverse occupants. This is fascinating. You will be staying, won’t you?”

“For a time.”

“A time?”

“Time..” Archer looked to T’Pol for an explanation since he didn’t know how to define time in a simplistic way.

“Time is what we humanoids use to measure the passing of the present into the future or past,” T’Pol began, “We use it to gauge the passing of a day, age and life cycles as well.”

“Interesting. We have not concept of this time you speak of. There is either now or not.”

“That certainly is a simple way to look at things,” Archer commented with a smile.

“We are a simple being.”

“On the contrary, scans have shown you are anything but a simple being,” T’Pol commented.

“You have scanned us?”

“Yes. Have I offended you by doing so?”

“Certainly not, as we have done the same to you. We are simply amused that you find fascination in our existence.”

“You are an extraordinary being.”

“You have felt much fascination since you’ve arrived, Sub-Commander.”

Archer looked at T’Pol with a smile. She didn’t reply to him or the Bitanag.

“Would you like to study us closer, Sub-Commander?”

Archer looked up at the view screen in surprise and then back at T’Pol.

“Yes, I would, with your permission.”

“We have studied your ship and we can create an environment so that you may.”

“We can use EV suits,” Archer said.

“Is our offer offensive?”

“No. Not at all.”

“Then Sub-Commander T’Pol may study us in person?”

Archer looked at T’Pol again. “That’s up to her.”

“I would like to, Captain.”

How do we get her to you?”

“You should send a ship to us and we can encase it.”

“She and I can do that.”

“This is an unsafe area of space. Are you certain leaving your ship is wise, Captain Archer?

Archer’s guard suddenly sprang up.

“Commander Tucker could pilot the shuttle pod, Captain,” T’Pol offered.

“It will be fine with my crew. It’s not the first time I’ve left her in their capable hands.”

“If you are the captain, should you not stay with your ship if you are in an area of space you know is unsafe? Do you not feel comfortable sending her with the pilot she mentioned? Perhaps we do not understand the problem.”

Archer didn’t reply right away.

“Is this offer acceptable, Captain Archer?”

“Give us a moment,” Archer replied, looking at Hoshi, “We’ll be right back.” Archer nodded once to Hoshi.

Hoshi closed the communication and looked back, waiting for Archer to signal her to open it again.

“T’Pol, I don’t like this,” Archer stated before T’Pol could speak, “My gut’s saying that they shouldn’t be trusted. Especially with that bit about me staying here because I’m the captain.”

“The did say this was a hostile area of space and made a logical argument as to why you should not the ship, Captain.”

“So you believe they know more about my ship and crew than I do?” Archer asked her.

“That is not what I meant.”

“Explain what you mean.”

“They are concerned about our well-being and feel that you should remain on board in case any hostile ships should approach, so that you may command the ship. I can see their reasoning that a ship’s captain should stay in a hostile area of space if he knows it is a hostile area of space. Do you not agree?”

“This ship has been commanded without me on it and in the heat of battle, T’Pol. You’ve even been one to command it then.”

“And you have also remained on it when I have gone on other away missions with other crewmen. Why is this situation different?”

“You’re not going to a planet, T’Pol, you’re going inside an alien creature. An alien creature that doesn’t want me to join you, I might add. I find their argument of my joining you very suspicious.”

“They did not object to my suggestion that Commander Tucker pilot the ship. I would suspect that if they wanted me to come alone, they would have also objected to him joining me.”

Archer heaved a sigh, looking at the view screen. He hated it when she was right. And further more, he hated it when she set her mind on doing something like she was now because getting her to change it was like controlling the weather. Sure, with technology it was possible, but not without consequence.

Archer looked at her. “Are you sure you want to do this? Regardless of anything you’ve said, my gut is still telling me that this alien, this Bitanag, is not to be trusted, T’Pol.”

“Based on a sentence, Captain?”

Archer’s face sagged into a partial scowl. “Yes. Based on a sentence, T’Pol. We humans are odd that way. We base reactions on words on occasion.”

“I find nothing to be alarmed about, Captain. Nor will I be exiting the shuttle pod if they cannot create a safe environment. And if it will provide easement for your wariness of the creatures, I will also carry a phase pistol at all times.”

Archer looked away, putting his hands on his hips.

“I feel this being is worth studying further and if it is willing to allow me to do so, I would like the opportunity, Captain.”

Archer looked at the view screen, struggling with his gut feeling and T’Pol’s scientific curiosity.

“None of what you said will make me feel less apprehensive, but if you feel comfortable with this and have your mind set on doing this, then..” Archer looked back at her. “Go. Study it. But you are to stay in constant communication with Enterprise. And so is Trip. You tell him that’s my order.”

“Yes, Captain. May we depart then?”

“Yes. Go drag him away from whatever he’s fixing and go. Have fun. Bring back a souvenir or two.”

“Thank you, Captain.” T’Pol turned and walked to the lift.

Archer nodded to Hoshi and she opened the communication again.

“T’Pol will be leaving shortly to visit you,” Archer informed the Bitanag.

“How delightful! We so rarely have visitors.”

“Yes. Delightful,” Archer answered with less enthusiasm as he’d intended. “What else shall we discuss?” Archer sat down in his chair, pushing back his nagging feelings of apprehension and wariness.

#

T’Pol turned her head, watching her hands as she fastened the strap of a phase pistol holster around her waist. She looked up when Trip grabbed her hands and pulled her close with the strap.

“This is hardly the time, Charles,” T’Pol said.

Trip leaned down and kissed her lips, whispering, “Haven’t gotten to do that in a couple days. Now’s a perfect time.” Trip kissed her again.

T’Pol pulled away from him, fastening the strap before looking at him. Trip grinned.

“What are the external sensors reading, Charles?”

Trip turned and went back to the console. He leaned on it, checking the readings.

“Almost there. They haven’t gotten the pressure yet and the oxygen’s a bit rich still.”

T’Pol walked over to the console beside him and turned on the external audio sensor.

“How much longer do you guess it will take?” she asked.

“How much longer? What do you mean?” the Bitanag asked.

T’Pol recalled that they had no concept of time. “My apologies. Please alert us when it is safe to exit.”

“We will. Just now you two experienced a feeling we have felt from others on Enterprise. What was this emotion called?”

T’Pol stood, pulling her hands behind her back. “Love.”

Trip looked at her, surprised she stated it so openly, and especially considering the entire bridge of Enterprise was listening.

“It is a very strong emotion.”

“Yes, it is.”

Trip sat down in the pilot’s chair, watching T’Pol with a smile and look of pride.

“Do all humanoids have this emotion?”

“I suspect most do, however, I can not be certain.”

“Why is that?”

“For various reasons the answer is uncertain. Some do not discuss such emotions, some do not have a name for it, and others do not have a translation that we might understand that is what they mean.”

“Interesting. So humanoids do not speak the same language?”

“No.”

“We all speak the same body language,” Trip said.

“What is body language?” the Bitanag asked.

Trip looked up, finding T’Pol staring at him with a somewhat sterner expression than normal. He smiled.

“The movements of our appendages or facial features. Like right now. I’m getting the patented ‘shut up’ look from Sub-Commander T’Pol.”

“Shut up? What does that mean?”

“Means to stop talking, making noise, interfering with her research.”

T’Pol muted communications from being sent out of the shuttle pod.

“You are feeling an unpleasant emotion right now, T’Pol. What is this emotion?”

T’Pol didn’t reply to the Bitanag right away. “I am trying to conduct research and continue communications with this entity, Charles. Please do not interfere.”

Trip’s grin widened. “Sure, sweetheart.”

“And refrain from pet names.” T’Pol opened the communications channel again.

#

Above the nebula the bridge was smiling.

“Oh man! Trip’s got her hackles up!” Travis laughed. “You know, I never noticed how much emotion comes out in Vulcan’s voices until she started dating Lieutenant-Commander Tucker. He brings out the worst and best in her.”

Archer chuckled. “I think that’s his calling card in life, Travis.”

Travis looked down at his console when it beeped. His smile suddenly disappeared. “Sir, there’s a ship approaching at warp four.”

“Polarize the hull?’ Malcolm asked.

“Yes. Now you can polarize the hull, Malcolm,” Archer said, “but stand down weapons. Might just be passing by.”

Travis watched his monitor. “Five hundred kilometers and closing.”

Archer stood. “Hail it.”

Hoshi obeyed. “No reply sir.”

“Again.”

“Is there a problem?” the Bitanag asked over the bridge COM.

“I don’t know. Stand by,” Archer told the Bitanag. “Travis?”

“Three hundred and closing.”

“Arm weapons, Malcolm.

The ship dropped out of warp firing plasma cannons at Enterprise.

“Return fire!” Archer ordered

“That’s Captain Ealad’s freighter!” Travis cried.

“He has high powered shields, Captain,” Malcolm reported, looking at Archer, “and he’s armed to the teeth.”

“Hail him, Hoshi.”

“I’ve tried. He’s not responding, sir.”

“Didn’t know freighter‘s came with such powerful weapons!” Archer snarled to himself before ordering, “Keep him busy, Malcolm. Evasive maneuvers, Travis. Hoshi, hail the shuttle pod.”

The three obeyed.

“Yeah, Cap’n?” Trip asked over the bridge COM.

“We just got dropped in by our friendly freighter ship captain, Captain Ealad, and he has an awfully well armed freighter he’s using on us right now. Get back here.”

“Aye, Cap’n. Be there in a flash.”

#

Trip stepped out of the hatch. “T’Pol, field trip’s over. We gotta go, honey!”

T’Pol looked up from the sample she was collecting. “Is there a problem?”

“Friendly Captain Ealad ain’t so friendly. Shake a leg, sweetheart!”

T’Pol began gathering up her instruments.

“You are leaving?” the Bitanag asked T’Pol.

T’Pol glanced down at the communicator near her knee. “We must depart. We will return as soon as possible.”

“Very well. Tell me when you are prepared to depart and I will release the atmosphere.”

“Thank you,” T’Pol replied.

“Let me help,” Trip said, running up to her to help gather up her equipment.

#

“Captain, that last one was a direct hit to a plasma conduit,” Malcolm reported, “Many more like that and we’re going to lose crew, sir.”

“Hold them off. We aren’t leaving without Trip and T’Pol,” Archer replied.

Malcolm looked back down at his console. He looked up at the view screen. “Sir, if--”

“MALCOLM, JUST FIRE!” Archer yelled at him.

Malcolm obeyed without replying.

Archer looked at Malcolm and realized he’d repeated a habit he was trying hard to break. Archer caught himself when Enterprise rocked from another hit. He stood and requested in a calmer voice, “Malcolm, tell me what you were going to say. Make it snappy.”

“Sir, if Captain Ealad doesn’t know Trip and T’Pol are in the nebula then they’re safe. We, on the other hand, are sitting ducks! His so-called freighter is heavily armed and I’m not making a dent in his energy shielding.”

Archer looked back at the view screen.

“Damage report, Malcolm. Just the worst.”

“Air locks sealed off sections on all level, fires reported all over the ship, we’re venting atmosphere, F level doesn’t have any atmosphere, warp drive is functional, impulse drive will be off line shortly, left plasma conduit is down to fifty percent and right plasma conduit is down to sixty.”

“Archer to Trip.”

“We’re just about gone, sir,” Trip responded.

“Power down, monitor communications and we’ll be back for you two.”

“Sir?”

“We’ll be back. Tell T’Pol to have fun. Run silent now, Trip.”

Trip didn’t respond as ordered.

“Travis, go to warp and get us the hell out of here!”

Travis went to impulse and Enterprise shook severely for a few seconds after she jumped to warp.

“Malcolm?’ Archer looked at Malcolm

“The impulse drive is offline.”

“We’re being pursued.” Travis reported.

“Run, Travis. Just keep running.”

“Aye, sir. Sir?”

“Yeah, Travis.”

“Sir, stopping is going to be painful.”

“I know. We’ll alert the crew to strap in when the time comes. Keep going for now.”

#

Trip looked back at T’Pol. “Well, unpack again, sweetheart. We’re stuck here for a while.”

“I heard,” T’Pol said as she stood.

Trip caught T’Pol’s hand as she brushed nearby him. T’Pol looked down at him.

“Wanna know somethin’, T’Pol?”

“What?”

“You’re pretty sexy when you’re curious.”

T’Pol’s eyebrow lifted. Trip stood and kissed her cheek and then met her gaze.

“I love you,” Trip whispered. He turned and picked up one of her cases and then opened the hatch. “We’re back!” Trip called out to the Bitanag as he stepped out. “Change of plans. Old friend just decided to hate us, hell broke loose, and I’m down here missing it all. But in the mean time, you and T’Pol can just chat it up for a while Bitanag. So is that really your name?”

A faint smile turned up T’Pol’s lips. She would never stop being amused by Trip’s incessant upbeat attitude in the face of danger.

#

T’Pol looked up when she heard a crash. Trip was kneeling by a case with one hand gripping his forehead.

“Charles, are you all right?” T’Pol questioned as she rose and walked to him.

“Got dizzy. Sorry about that,” Trip said, looking down at the broken vile beside his leg. “Does that hurt Bitanag?”

“Not at all,” Bitanag replied. “What is it?”

“Glass,” T’Pol replied.

She knelt down beside Trip, taking a large empty petri dish from the case and putting the glass shards in it. T’Pol sat it inside the case then reached out and took Trip’s wrist, her fingers expertly finding his pulse. She was surprised to find it was racing as if Trip had been running a marathon. T’Pol looked up at his face and noted the ashen gray color of his skin was and that he was lightly perspiring. T’Pol pulled out her tricorder and aimed it at Trip. Her brow furrowed.

“What is it?” Trip asked her.

“You are showing symptoms of exhaustion and stress fatigue.”

“How long have we been here?” Trip asked, sitting down. “I can hardly stay awake.”

“Five hours.”

“What time is it?”

“Seventeen hundred and nineteen hours.”

“That’s not late. I guess all the excitement took its toll.”

“We should return to the shuttle so you can rest and get something to eat and drink.”

“I can provide sustenance and an adequate place to rest. You have traveled far from your craft,” the Bitanag offered.

T’Pol looked up, seeing that the Bitanag was correct. The shuttle pod was far off from where they were now.

“Please,” T’Pol said.

Behind them the Bitanag changed form to provide a soft place to lie down and from it’s surface two bowls appeared.

“We regret that we cannot guarantee this will meet your complete satisfaction, but it will provide necessary sustenance.”

Trip reached in one bowl, looking at the clear square he picked up. He put it in his mouth and started sucking on it.

“Tastes like wood,” Trip muttered over the piece in his mouth.

“What is wood?” the Bitanag asked.

T’Pol gripped Trip’s wrist before he could reply. “An item we do not eat often due to its lack of nutritional value.”

“Yeah,” Trip agreed, smiling at T’Pol.

“We can assure that it will at least meet your nutritional needs.”

Trip reached into the other bowl and popped the clear square in his mouth. He looked at T’Pol, making a disgusted face.

“Eat some and then rest, Charles,” T’Pol ordered.

“You just love that authority position, don’t you?” Trip said, smiling at her.

T’Pol turned back to her work rather than reply to Trip’s lewd comment.

“Well?” Trip asked.

“I have work to do and you need to rest, Charles.”

“What is this feeling I’m sensing, T’Pol?” the Bitanag asked.

“Yeah. What is it, T’Pol?” Trip asked.

T’Pol looked back at Trip, replying, “Frustration.”

Trip smiled, catching her hand and kissing her fingers. “But you get over it fast. Wake me up when they get back or if you need my help.”

“I will. Rest now.”

Trip laid down, watching T’Pol work until he drifted to sleep.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.