Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Double the Blind"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip and T'Pol are tricked into entering an entity that lives off the life essence of others. When Archer and the crew try to save them, they're attacked by a 'friendly' ship and forced to abandoned the two.


CHAPTER 3 : Pulling Back the Veil

Archer dropped his arms and pulled the welding goggles down around his neck. He reached up and with the tips of his welder gloves pushed the soft metal around until it filled the gap perfectly. He stepped down a rung on the ladder and prepared to start on repairing another fissure

“Sir.”

Archer looked back and down. Lieutenant Hess was standing below him.

“Yeah?”

“Repairs are done on deck F and environmental has returned to normal.”

“Did you find Navta?”

“Yes. She and Eartik were playing in loading bay C when we were attacked. They were both a bit bumped up and a little rattled, but she’s with Karen now. I also took Porthos to stay with them and that seemed to calm her down quite a bit.”

“Good.” Archer sat down on a ladder rung so he could face her. “What’s left? Just the minor stuff isn’t it?”

“Teams are still working outside on the plasma conduit and the impulse drive is almost repaired and ready to go back on line.”

Archer nodded, looking down the hall. He and two more crewmen were going section-by-section welding fissures on the inside of he hull as soon as the crew outside had them welded.

“Has Travis detected the ship on sensors?” Archer asked Lieutenant Hess, looking back down at her.

“No. He said he hasn’t seen it sense it stopped pursuit five hours ago.”

“That’s some good news. Do you know where Vardee is?”

“Yes. She’s on deck B helping with repairs.”

“COM’s down in this section. Would you ask her to come see me, please?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Thanks. Gotta get back to work.” Archer flashed her a smile. He stood and turned to continue working.

“Sir?”

Archer looked back at her. “Yeah?”

“Have I ever told you it’s a been a privilege working under you, sir?”

Archer smiled. “No. But I don’t think this is that bad, Anne. We’ve been through worse.”

“That’s not what I meant, sir. You’re down here welding with the rest of the crew. Most captains I know wouldn’t be. I’ll got give Vardee the message, sir.”

“Thank you, Anne.”

Archer watched her walk away, thinking about her comment for a moment. He turned his attention back to repairs. While her comment was flattering, he was working only so he could keep his guilt at bay for leaving T’Pol and Trip behind and help get repairs done faster so they could go back for them.

#

T’Pol woke with a start and sat up. She looked around her, not remembering falling asleep, which in and of itself disturbed her. T’Pol looked at Trip asleep a meter from her and then back toward the shuttle. The shuttle pod was closer, and Trip further away than she last remembered. T’Pol got up and took three steps toward the shuttle pod before running into a wall of clear crystal. T’Pol walked the entire closure that circled she and Trip. She stopped and flipped open her communicator; making sure it was on before speaking.

“Why have you imprisoned us?” T’Pol asked as she felt her way around the wall.

“You are not imprisoned,” the Bitanag replied.

“If we are not prisoners, then reveal an exit so I can return to the shuttle pod.”

“You have not finished your research.”

“I must return to the shuttle pod.”

“For what? I can retrieve it for you.”

T’Pol turned and picked up a tricorder. She crouched down, aiming it at herself to take a reading. She looked at the screen, finding she was showing signs of exhaustion and stress fatigue. She scanned Trip and found his symptoms had worsened.

“I demand that you allow us to return. We are both ill.”

“Would you like sustenance?”

T’Pol thought back to the bowls the Bitanag had provided before and Trip saying that it tasted like wood. “Yes.”

Two bowls appeared. T’Pol picked up a piece, running it past the tricorder as she pretended to put it in her mouth. T’Pol sprung to her feet.

“I demand that you allow us to return to our shuttle pod immediately!” T’Pol ordered in a firmer tone, “The sustenance you have provided us is no more than an illusion. We require food and drink to nourish our bodies.”

“It is the closest we could provide.”

“I demand you release us now.”

“I’m sorry. I cannot do that.”

“Why?”

A face appeared in the wall. T’Pol retreated until she was pressed back against the wall and the face was inches from her.

“We don’t release our food.”

T’Pol looked away. Since they had arrived anything beyond a few meters had been hidden in a foggy haze. The fog suddenly dissipated and from her vantage point she could see hundreds, maybe thousands, of aliens around her.

T’Pol looked back at the face. “You tricked us into coming here.”

“And you came,” the face mocked sympathy, “Don’t worry. This is painless. You won’t feel a thing.”

“Our captain will return for us.”

The face turned into a hideous demon like head with a menacing grin. “I’m counting on it.”

Something grabbed T’Pol’s wrist and she looked down. A tentacle yanked her communicator away from her hand and crushed it. It pulled Trip’s communicator from his pocket and crushed it also. T’Pol looked back at the face.

“I’ve never tasted love before,” the face said, “I must say, it is very satisfying and filling. Don’t worry, Sub-Commander T’Pol. You two won’t die soon. This emotion of love is far too rich for me to eat quickly.”

“You are making a grave mistake,” T’Pol stated quietly.

“Why is that?”

“You underestimate my captain and crew.”

The Bitanag laughed. “You say that with such force, yet I sense your doubt, T’Pol. And for good reason. I always get my prey.”

The face disappeared into the wall. T’Pol looked down, closing her eyes. For the first time in her life she was feeling fear, and when she looked down at Trip lying helpless beside her, she knew why. She had convinced Archer that the Bitanag was safe and to allow Trip to bring her. It was the first time in her life that she could remember being so wrong it endangered another’s life and that life was the man she loved. T’Pol started walking the enclosure, trying to think of a way out of the crystal prison.


Back to Chapter 2
Continue to Chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.