Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Double the Blind"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip and T'Pol are tricked into entering an entity that lives off the life essence of others. When Archer and the crew try to save them, they're attacked by a 'friendly' ship and forced to abandoned the two.


CHAPTER 4 : Blind Man’s Bluff

“Malcolm, Travis,” Archer sat down in the captain’s chair, “is everything on line?”

“Yes, sir,” both men answered.

“Anne?” Archer looked at her. Lieutenant Hess was manning the engineering station in Trip’s absence. “Engineering report.”

“We can’t go to full impulse still, but warp drive is back on line. All other damage was repaired and no other problems reported. We’re ready to proceed, sir.”

“Hoshi, open a channel to the Diedra.” Archer looked up at the view screen when Sista appeared on the screen. “How’s the Diedra feel today, Vardee?”

“She’s feeling feisty!” Vardee smiled, narrowing her eyes, “and ready to pay back our friend Captain Ealad.”

“Glad to hear it,” Archer smiled, “Wait for Travis’ mark before following.”

“We will. Vardee out.”

“Prepare to go to warp, Travis,” Archer ordered. “Malcolm.”

Malcolm looked at Archer. “Yes, sir?”

“Ignore me if I get testy this time, okay?”

Malcolm smiled. “I’ll attempt to, sir.”

Archer nodded once. “Let’s see if we can drag Captain Ealad out of hiding, Travis.”

“Aye, aye, sir.” Travis took Enterprise to warp four.

Archer watched the view screen anxiously.

“There he is. Coming from port. Gotta give this guy credit for persistence, sir,” Travis said.

Archer smiled. “How close, Travis?”

“Eight hundred kilometers.”

“Mark it on three.”

“Aye, sir,” Travis replied.

The bridge was silent as they waited.

“MARK!” Travis called out.

“Drop out of warp,” Archer ordered. Archer braced for Captain Ealad’s attack.

Travis dropped to half impulse as the first cannon blast hit Enterprise.

“Evasive maneuvers, Travis. Malcolm, hold fire.”

“Aye, sir,” they replied in unison.

Enterprise was hit several times before Travis reported, “Diedra’s at five hundred kilometers and closing at warp five, weapons powered and shields up.”

“Bring us about when she drops out of warp. Malcolm, fire at will. Take out his engines and weapons array.”

On the view screen the Diedra appeared and opened fire on Captain Ealad’s ship. Together the two ships quickly crippled Captain Ealad’s ship until it was drifting helpless between them.

“His engines are off line, Jon. We detect no signs of weapons powered. Shall we assume a parameter?”

“Yes. Don’t let him leave without talking to us. Hoshi, hail him.”

Suddenly Captain Ealad appeared on the view screen.

Archer started talking before Captain Ealad had a chance to open his mouth. “You know, Captain Ealad,” Archer walked around in front of the helm control, “I’ve seen a lot of freighters in my time but yours is the first I’ve ever seen with such fire power. How does one come by a freighter like that?” Archer crossed his arms across his chest.

“You cannot return to the nebula, Captain Archer,” Captain Ealad replied, “Who is this other ship?”

Archer ignored his question. “I can’t? And why, exactly, in detail, can’t I?”

“If you do, you and your crew will die.”

“How?” Archer demanded. “By you?”

“The Bitanag is a beast, a creature, but my people have made agreements to lure food to it and it spares our people. However, we have also made trade agreements with several races that humans have agreements with as well. In respect to these agreements, we came back to keep you from being killed.”

“I have two people in that nebula. I’m going back.” Archer turned to walk back to the captain’s chair.

“They’re dead.”

Archer slowly turned back around. “What?”

“If they’re not yet, they will be shortly. It will kill them.”

“It didn’t appear unfriendly.”

“It’s how it lures prey in. It can appear to be anything and it can lure prey in based on what it senses will intrigue it’s prey.”

“We are not prey. My two crewmen are not prey, either!”

“I’m sorry. I couldn’t tell you when you were at the nebula. If it had received the transmission it would have killed both crews.”

“That’s understandable,” Archer nodded his head a little, “but there is something that just doesn’t make sense here. We’re well out of communication range of the nebula, Captain Ealad, so why did you start shooting at us again?”

“To turn you back.”

“Tell me everything you know about the Bitanag and I want all the information you have in your computers on this creature.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m asking. Nicely.” Archer forced a smile.

“You can’t go back there. It will kill you and your crew, Captain Archer.”

“We’ve established that fact. I’d like the information now, Captain.”

“No. I will not give you the information. I was given orders to prevent you from returning to the nebula at all costs and I will fulfill these orders.”

“Who gave you that order?”

“My superior.”

“Let’s have a chat with your superior then.”

“I will not let you return, Captain Archer!”

“And how do you plan on stopping us without engines, shields or weapons?”

“I will come after you if you try to return.”

Archer stepped toward the view screen, dropping his hands into clenched fists, “If you attempt to keep us from returning, I will blow your ship out of the sky, Captain Ealad!”

“You wouldn’t do such a thing.”

“Wouldn’t I?”

“I was told you wouldn’t.” Captain Ealad lifted his chin. “You humans have morals.”

“Who gave you that information?”

“I cannot say. But I believe them and you will not shoot us down.”

Archer leaned on the helm control behind him. “Captain Ealad, your mystery human expert doesn’t have all their facts straight and knows very little about humans. I have just been lied to, betrayed, shot at, and have just been told that my crewmen--who are very close friends of mine--might be dead. So if I were you I wouldn’t push this too far,” Archer stood, walking toward the view monitor, “I want that information, Captain Ealad, and I am prepared to take whatever measures I have to get it. Even if that means killing everyone on your ship to do it.”

“You lie.”

“Are you willing to wager you and your crew’s lives that I am?”

“Our conversation is over.” Captain Ealad turned his head.

“Malcolm, charge canons,” Archer ordered.

Malcolm, surprised by the order, looked at Archer before complying. He reached out and initiated weapons.

“I am not giving you the information,” Captain Ealad said.

“Canons charged,” Malcolm reported.

“Target Captain Ealad’s vessel.” Archer turned and walked to his chair, sitting down. He leaned back in the chair, resting his arms on the chair arms.

“Target acquired, sir.”

“Fire at will.”

“WAIT!” Captain Ealad cried, standing. “I will transmit the data now. It is everything we know about the Bitanag. But you are foolish to return. It will kill you!”

“Malcolm, stand by. Once we have the information, stand down.” Archer slid a cold smile onto his lips. “Thank you for your concern and cooperation, Captain Ealad. And after today, I’d appreciate never making your acquaintance again. Hoshi.”

The view screen went blank.

Archer let out his breath, relaxing a little. “Thank God he doesn’t have my stubborn streak,” Archer said to his crew. “Hoshi, as soon as we get that information, open a secure channel to the Diedra.”

“Aye, sir.”

Archer tapped the companel on his chair arm. “Archer to Ensign Paris.”

“Yes, sir?” Ensign Paris asked.

“Are you ready down there?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good. Put Navta on.”

“Hi, K’pan,” Navta said.

“Hi half-pint. You be good for Karen, okay?”

“I will. Will you be back soon?”

“I hope so, honey. And don’t fight with your brother, okay?”

“Okay. Porthos is waving good-bye to you.”

Archer smiled. “You take good care of him, okay?”

“Okay, K’pan.”

“Bye, half-pint.”

“Bye, K’pan. I love you!”

“I love you too.” Archer cut the communications. He leaned on the arm, having to work to hide his sorrow or fear. Archer looked up when the view screen changed to show the Diedra’s bridge. “It’s time Vardee. I’m sending Karen over with the children. Come back in the shuttle pod.”

Vardee nodded once. “Yes, Jon.”

Archer waited for the view screen to change before he sat back in his chair.


Back to Chapter 3
Continue to Chapter 5

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.