Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Epizootic"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: The Jit and animals of Enterprise come down with a virus. The crew know the race that exposed them to it, but have been ordered to stay away from them. But when Malcolm learns his Jit wife is pregnant with twins, he risks everything to save them.


CHAPTER 2

“I wish I knew,” Doctor Phlox said.

“What do you mean you wish you knew?” Malcolm demanded.

“Easy, Lieutenant,” Archer ordered Malcolm, lifting his hand up a little.

Doctor Phlox turned away from the monitor to the men. “I don’t know what these two have.” Doctor Phlox motioned to the two bio-beds.

Sista and Eartik were pale, sweating from a fever, and coughing. A crewman was tending to them, trying her best to keep them comfortable.

“How contagious is it?” Archer asked. “How long before all of the crew have it?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen this virus before. The blood samples that I took from Eartik and Sista show that they are carrying three different strains of the same virus. I’ve never seen a virus like this before.”

Archer turned and sat on the edge of a desk. “I can’t tell the crew that, Doc. If I tell them that they’ll panic.”

“The crew’s going to eventually figure it out, Captain. I am trying to break down the protein code right now, but--”

“Doctor Phlox!” a crewman said as he ran in with Likos. Behind him another crewman ran in carrying Brila.

“They just collapsed,” the man said.

“Place them on a bed.” Doctor Phlox looked at, Captain Archer. “I would advise we avoid contact with any species until I know more about this.”

Archer nodded. “Agreed.”

Malcolm turned, walking to his wife’s bed. He sat down on the stool beside her bed, taking Sista’s hand in both of his.

“And I would probably not expect Lieutenant Reed to be of much use for the remainder of the day, Captain,” Doctor Phlox added quietly.

Archer nodded. “I agree with that, too, Doctor.”

“Excuse me. I need to settle the two new patients.”

Archer nodded. He looked up at the monitor and the virus Doctor Phlox had managed to isolate in their blood. Magnified at a thousand times it looked as sinister as it was. Archer turned, hearing the door open. Any shred of hope he had that this may not be serious sank when he watched three more crewmen carry in Ryce, Xerrix and Jokra. Archer left Sickbay. He had to announce the outbreak to the crew and bring the ship to a halt.

#

Archer opened his door and stepped into his quarter.

“How was your day, boy?” Archer asked Porthos, even though the dog wasn’t waiting for him like he usually did. Archer turned and walked to the counter, pouring kibble in the dog’s bowl. “Mine was terrible. I have a ship full of scared crew, Port. Be thankful you’re not a, Captain. And those poor kids, they are so--” Archer stopped when he turned. Porthos wasn’t waiting behind him like he normally did. “Porthos?”

Archer heard a pathetic whine. Archer sat the bowl down on the counter and stepped around the wall. He spotted Porthos lying on his bed. Archer walked over to the dog, crouching down.

“Porthos?”

Porthos waged his tail once but didn’t attempt to get up.

“What’s wrong?” Archer asked. He smiled, picking Porthos up. “Feeling neglected?”

Porthos lay still in Archer’s arms, not even attempting to lick him or squirm. Archer frowned. This wasn’t like Porthos at all.

“How about we get you some food?”

Archer carried Porthos over to the counter and sat the dog and the dog’s bowl down on the floor. Porthos sniffed the bowl, picked up one kibble and spit it out. He lay down by his bowl with his head between his paws. Archer sat down in front of him, stroking the brown, black and white coat.

“What’s wrong, boy?” Archer asked.

Porthos let out a heavy sigh, closing his eyes.

Archer stood and retrieved a couple pieces of cheese from a covered plate. He sat back down by Porthos.

“Navta will be back soon,” Archer said, holding out a piece of cheese to Porthos. “Then you can go for walks again.”

Porthos looked at it, but made no attempt to take it.

“You don’t want this? You love cheese.”

Porthos didn’t move. Horror hit Archer. He tossed the cheese in the dog’s bowl, picked up Porthos and headed for Sickbay.

#

Doctor Phlox sighed, staring at the screen above him that showed the virus at a hundred times. Doctor Phlox looked down.

“He has it...doesn’t he?” Archer asked.

“I’m afraid your canine companion does, Captain.” Doctor Phlox looked up at Archer’s crestfallen face.

Archer turned; walking over to the bed Porthos was lying on. He smiled at his dog.

“We’ll figure this out, buddy,” Archer said to Porthos.

Porthos raised his head to give Archer’s hand one lick. Archer stroked Porthos, glancing across the room at Malcolm. It didn’t look like Malcolm had moved from his spot since yesterday.

Archer sat down, laid his chin on his arm on the bed and continued to stroke Porthos. He whispered reassuring words to the dog and occasionally would get an almost tail wag. Archer fell asleep beside the bed, his hand lying on Porthos’ side.

#

“Captain.”

Archer opened his eyes, finding T’Pol blocking his view. Archer lifted his head, looking down at Porthos.

“What time is it?” Archer asked T’Pol.

“It was eleven hundred hours when I last checked.”

“I’m late.” Archer stood.

“There is no need for your presence on the bridge, Captain. We are at a full stop and we have not picked up any other vessels on long-range sensors in over twelve hours. I came to see if there was anything you would like me to do.”

Archer looked at her. T’Pol was looking across the room. Archer followed her gaze to Sista and Malcolm.

“Help Doctor Phlox, T’Pol.”

“Yes, Captain.”

Archer sat back down, looking at Porthos.

“What is this thing?” Archer whispered to his dog.

#

T’Pol leaned back from the microscope. She stood and walked over to a computer, pulling up one chart after another. Doctor Phlox was sitting at a biocontainment lab with his hands in the gloves, trying another antibiotic on the virus.

“I have discovered a trait of the virus, Doctor,” T’Pol said, turning.

Doctor Phlox looked up at her. “Have you?”

Archer looked away from Porthos at the two before joining them.

“It is only contagious to animals and not humans.”

“The children all have animal DNA.” Doctor Phlox sat the dropper and petri dish in his hands down and pulled his hands out of the gloves. He stood. “It doesn’t explain why in the last two days Zintar and Navta haven’t fallen ill.”

“It does. The animal must be a mammal. Zintar and Navta both have DNA from a serpent. Additionally I believe that this virus was engineered to be active only if the host had animal DNA.”

“That would mean it was man-made. No natural virus does that,” Archer said.

“You are assuming the virus came from humans,” T’Pol pointed out.

“Where else would it have come from?”

“Bastion,” T’Pol said. “I remembered something Sista had told me the day after we returned. She had mentioned that she had seen several dogs and cats that did not appear to be well on Bastion. Since we were occupied during most of our stay, this fact escaped my own attention. Perhaps they know about this virus and may be trying to eradicate it on their planet.”

“You’re sure it came from Bastion?”

“I am not positive.”

“The incubation period would certainly make her theory possible, Captain. You three returned to the ship a week prior. Lieutenant Reed told me Sista began showing flu-like symptoms over the last three days. Perhaps we could contact the Bastions and inquire about a possible antibiotic or antiserum,” Doctor Phlox suggested. “You probably didn’t notice it with Porthos since dogs can’t tell us if they have a headache or feel achy.”

“I’ll have to contact Starfleet and ask them to change their minds about us contacting the Bastions.”

“Perhaps I could contact any Vulcan vessel in the area and ask that they contact the Bastions. Vulcans have a trade agreement with the race and their colonies,” T’Pol offered.

Archer didn’t want to ask Vulcans for help, but when he looked back at his dog and the Jit he knew being prideful right now might cost their lives.

“Do it.” Archer nodded. “I’ll still contact Starfleet and see if I can’t change their minds too. In case the Vulcans don’t want to help.”

T’Pol left the room. Archer walked over to Sista’s bed and sat down. He reached up and laid his hand on her arm. Lesions had begun to appear on her arms, legs and face in the last twenty-four hours and her fever had risen. Sista turned her head, looking at him.

“Malcolm?”

“I sent him to rest a while ago.”

Sista nodded. She looked at Eartik in the bed next to her.

“We’re working on it, Vardee,” Archer said. “We’re trying to make this go away.”

Sista looked at him. “Sad, Jon.”

“You are?”

“You.”

Archer nodded. “Except for Navta and Zintar, you’re all sick. So are all the animals. Even Porthos.”

“Bastion know,” Sista whispered.

“T’Pol already came up with that theory. She’s looking into it. Go back to sleep.”

Sista looked into Archer’s eyes. “Come close.”

Archer stood, leaning near to her.

“Not fault,” Sista said. “Feel guilt. Not fault. Not know.”

Archer didn’t answer.

“Not fault, Jon. You not know. No one know.”

Archer smiled, laying his hand on Sista’s head. “Okay. But I’m still allowed to feel guilty.”

Sista nodded a little, smiling. “Not very long.”

Archer sat back down, taking her hand. “Get some sleep, Vardee.”

Sista nodded a little, closing her eyes. Archer sighed, leaning forward and putting his face in his hands.

#

Archer chewed thoughtfully on his bite of steak, his mind off in its own place. Archer swallowed, asking, “How were things in engineering today, Trip?”

T’Pol and Trip had joined him for supper, but neither were being much company tonight. Trip usually talked his ear off during supper, but tonight he was silent and didn’t appear to have much of an appetite. T’Pol was always quiet, but there was something about her demeanor that elicited a strong sense of grief that no words or expression ever would.

“Nothing broken. Managed to catch up on some repairs while we’ve been stopped,” Trip said. He sipped his iced tea and sat the glass down carefully so it didn’t make much noise.

Archer watched Trip’s action. He said nothing. The doorbell of the dining room beeped.

“Come in,” Archer said.

A crewman stepped in and handed T’Pol a PADD. “The message you were waiting for came in, Commander,” the man said to T’Pol.

T’Pol took the pad from him and the crewman departed. Archer and Trip continued eating in silence, watching T’Pol while she read the PADD. T’Pol sat the pad down by her plate and dropped her hands into her lap.

“What was it?” Archer asked almost in a whisper.

“The Bastion deny any such virus exists on their planet. They say that the sick animals Sista observed had a mild strain of something like influenza and it is treatable. They have broken off relations with the Vulcans until the Vulcans break relations with Starfleet.”

Archer went cold. He swallowed the bite of food in his mouth, finding the very action hard to do. He sat his fork down and sat back.

“DAMN THEM!” Trip hissed, throwing his fork on his plate.

Neither T’Pol nor Archer spoke. Trip rested his elbows on the table and put his head in his hands.

“They’re going to die,” Trip said, almost whispered.

“Doctor Phlox--” Archer started.

“Get real, Jon!” Trip looked at Archer. “Those kids and animals are sick. Really sick. You seen those lesions starting to form on them and Eartik started bleeding from his eyes tonight. You think that’s a sign he’s getting better? I may be an engineer, but even I know that means they’re dying. Doctor Phlox is a good doctor, but he can’t help them. This thing is killing them!”

Archer didn’t reply. He understood Trip’s frustration and anger, but he couldn’t voice it. That was something he had to save until he was alone.

“Excuse me. I must inform Doctor Phlox of this,” T’Pol said. She stood and dropped her napkin on the table, leaving without Archer excusing her.

Archer watched her leave. His eyes drifted back to Trip. His friend’s eyes looked empty.

“I have work to finish,” Trip said. He got up and stormed out of the room.

Archer sat alone in the dining room, staring at his half-finished meal.

#

Malcolm’s mind had drifted away to a time when Sista was laughing at some stupid joke he was telling. They were in a holographic mountain meadow she had created from Malcolm’s description. Malcolm looked up when someone nudged his side with an elbow. He looked at Hoshi and then the four faces staring at him.

“When you’ve returned to Enterprise perhaps you could give us your report, Lieutenant,” Archer said.

“Sorry, sir.”

“Your report, Lieutenant.”

Malcolm turned his attention to his work and began giving his security report.

“Doctor Phlox to Lieutenant Reed.”

Malcolm hesitated, looking at Archer. Archer nodded once.

Malcolm turned and pressed a button on a communication console. “Reed here.”

“I need you in Sickbay immediately, Lieutenant.”

“I’ll report shortly,” Malcolm replied.

“Go,” Archer said.

Malcolm looked at Archer. Archer was looking at the console in front of him. He looked up at Malcolm

“Go. Now.”

“Yes, sir. Doctor Phlox, I’ll be there momentarily.”

Reed handed the PADD in his hand to Trip and walked out of the situation room. Trip cleared his throat, found the place Malcolm had stopped and continued with the report.

#

Malcolm ran into Sickbay, looking at Sista. He walked up to her, laying his hand on her arm. She had lost consciousness hours ago as the virus was slowly winning the war inside her body.

“She’s all right, Lieutenant,” Doctor Phlox said as he approached Malcolm. “Well, as well as she can be. That’s not what I needed you here for.”

Malcolm looked at him. “What then?”

Doctor Phlox motioned Malcolm to follow. He led him to a monitor in the center of the room and typed something in on the keypad. On the monitor an image appeared. Malcolm stepped up to the console.

“What is this?”

“Twins,” Doctor Phlox said. “And under normal circumstances, I would say congratulations.” Doctor Phlox looked at Malcolm, waiting until the man met his steady gaze. “They are about seven weeks old, Lieutenant, and they are sick.”

Malcolm felt like the world was suddenly crashing in on him. He felt like running through the halls screaming like an insane man and that a heavy weight was keeping him from inhaling a full breathe. He felt like killing every Bastion alive.

“Here, Lieutenant,” Doctor Phlox said, guiding him into a chair. “It would help if you breathed.”

Malcolm looked up at the Doctor, meeting his steady gaze again. “This came from Bastion, didn’t it?”

“That is our theory. We don’t know that for a fact since they have denied such illness exists.”

Malcolm stood up. “What if they had given you their information on this virus?”

“Well, if they had given it to us I imagine, or at least hope, that they would have the information on how to make an antibiotic or antiserum to cure it.”

Malcolm looked at Sista. He left Sickbay in a rush. Doctor Phlox, while confused with the conversation, left it at a grieving husband and father.

#

“Come in,” Archer said when the doorbell beeped.

He looked up, watching Malcolm step in.

“I want to go back to Bastion, sir. I can take the Diedra and--”

“No,” Archer answered, looking back at the monitor on his desk. He hadn’t actually been doing anything. He just needed time away from people to clear his mind. Too many crewmembers were scared they were going to catch this virus and none of the evidence he could produce was convincing them otherwise. They were on the verge of a full out panic and the thoughts of what would happen after that were frightening.

“But I--”

“I said no and that’s final, Lieutenant. That will be all.”

“Vardee’s pregnant.”

Archer looked up at Malcolm. Had that pained look been on his Lieutenant’s face when he’d walked in? Regardless, it was quite clear now. Archer looked away.

“I’m sorry, Lieutenant, we are under orders never to return to their space again. The answer is still no.”

“You’re just going to let them all die?” Malcolm snapped.

Archer looked up at him, not completely surprised by Malcolm’s outburst. Archer slowly stood and turned to face him.

“Malcolm, they will shoot you out of the sky if you go back. What good will it be if that happens? The Diedra and anyone on her will be lost.”

“I have to save my wife and children,” Malcolm said.

“This isn’t going to be the way. Hoshi is contacting all the planets in the Bastion system and nearby to see if they know of this sickness and have a cure. If she finds out anything, I’ll send you and the Diedra to get it.”

Malcolm’s face told that there were words he wanted to say. Angry words filled with his grief and pain. But in the end he turned and left without speaking them. Archer sank into his chair as a wave of coldness swept over him. The doorbell beeped.

“Go away,” Archer whispered to the floor.

After a minute it beeped again.

“Come in,” Archer said, sitting up straight. He looked up, glad to see Trip walking in.

“All the repairs are completed, Captain. You want me to do something else?”

Archer looked at his desk. ‘What is there to do?’ Archer thought to himself, ‘If the repairs that have been tying up engineering for the last two months are complete...

“You don’t look so good, sir. Are you feeling okay? You’re not coming down with this thing, are you?”

“Vardee’s pregnant,” Archer said.

“Oh fuck,” Trip whispered.

When Archer looked at Trip, he found Trip had sat down on the floor with his back and head against the wall.

“This is bad, Jon,” Trip said, closing his eyes.

“This is worse than bad, Trip,” Archer said.

Trip looked at Archer. “Doctor tell you?”

“Malcolm did.”

“How’s he taking it?” Trip looked at him.

“Not well. He’s chomping at the bit to go back to Bastion and get information out of them no matter the cost.”

“You’re not letting him, are you?”

“No. I can’t. I have my orders.”

“Maybe we should watch him, sir.”

“Maybe.” Archer looked up. “I don’t know...”

The two fell silent with their own thoughts.

#

Zintar looked up when Malcolm sat down across from him.

“Vardee piloted the Diedra alone when we went on our honeymoon. I need you to show me how to do that.”

“Why?”

“Doesn’t matter. I need you to show me. Now. Right now.”

Zintar nodded. The two stood and left the mess hall together.

#

Malcolm let out an angry sigh when the simulation ended with the Diedra being destroyed.

“Reset,” Malcolm ordered the computer.

“We should rest,” Zintar said.

Malcolm looked around at him. “No.”

“Sir, why are you trying so hard to get this right? There is time to learn it.”

“No there isn’t,” Malcolm argued.

“Computer, hold program,” Zintar ordered.

“Zintar, I--”

“You’re going to take Diedra back to Bastion to find the cure, aren’t you, sir?” Zintar asked.

“No,” Malcolm answered.

Zintar stepped in front of him. “I know you are, sir. I feel how desperate you are.”

Malcolm didn’t reply.

“I know Captain Archer didn’t agree to this either, because he received orders from Starfleet that we’re not to return there.”

Malcolm still didn’t reply.

“I’m going with you.”

“No,” Malcolm said, deciding to give up the lie to Zintar. “I’m sure I’ll get court-martialed when I get back.”

If you get back. You can’t pilot Diedra alone, Malcolm. You haven’t learned how to yet. If I go, we can get there and back without getting killed, and with the information.”

“You will be thrown in the brig if you go with me, Zintar. No.”

“Sir, it’s my choice.”

Malcolm stared at the Jit’s face. “Vardee will kill me if I let you go.”

“Neh!” Zintar scrunched his face, waving the fact off. “She can be mad at both of us later when she’s not sick anymore. We’ll be happy to have her mad at us then.”

Malcolm looked at the holograph around him. He knew Zintar was right about learning this. He was far from it.

“We’re leaving early in the morning when Enterprise is running a skeleton crew.” Malcolm looked at Zintar.

Zintar nodded. “I’ll wait on the Diedra for you.”

Malcolm sighed. “I’m serious about the brig and the court-martial, Zintar.”

“I know. I know. But they are my family. I want this as much as you do. That and my Captain is about to have babies and if I were in your shoes, I’d want to do the same thing, sir.”

Malcolm smiled. “Then I’ll see you here in the morning.”

“Yes.” Zintar stuck out his hand.

Malcolm shook it. “But let’s get back to this. I have to learn how to control the weapons and navigation.”

“Diedra, split controls for two controllers. Assign weapons and navigation to Lieutenant Reed and all other controls to Lieutenant Zintar. Reset simulation.”

There was a beep. Zintar turned to stand beside Malcolm and a holograph control suit formed around the two of them.

“Replay training simulation,” Malcolm ordered and the two began the simulation together.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.