Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Escape Velocity"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Most of an away team is injured when they happen upon a sink hole deep underground. Now Trip has to come up with a way to get Eartik -- a small, young jit -- out of the hole to get help.


CHAPTER 2

Trip woke hearing growling. For a moment he was confused, thinking he was hearing Porthos, but then the reality of everything came back to him. He sat up, looking at Xerrix. The Jit was growling, watching something in the darkness beyond the lantern light. Eartik was crouched beside him, also staring intensely. Trip looked in the same direction, but it was too dark for him to see anything.”

“Do we have a working phase pistol?” Xerrix asked.

Trip looked at him. “No. Why?”

“Eartik swears he sees something over there. I can hear it, but I can’t see it.”

Trip slowly got to his feet, keeping an eye on the darkness. He walked over to where the other three lanterns sat and turned on a second one. It flared for a second and then went out. Trip muttered a curse, looking down at it. Trip heard a movement and looked around, seeing a creature lunging out of the darkness at him. Then he was being yanked to the ground and the creature flew over him. Trip rolled onto his knees, watching the creature turn. It looked like a wild boar the size of a Pit Bull with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. Trip felt a hand on his wrist and glanced back down. Eartik was holding onto Trip’s arm with a death grip, watching the creature with alert eyes and a calm expression.

Trip’s head whipped around when he heard movement and this time Eartik didn’t move fast enough to yank Trip out of the way. The creature’s weight threw Trip to the ground. Trip swung his fist and it connected with the creature’s jaw. It let out a roaring squeal, waking T’Pol and Archer. The creature snapped at Trip, tearing through the shoulder of his uniform into his skin. Trip tried to pull it off but it proved to be much stronger than it looked. Eartik grabbed the creature’s back legs and easily pulled it off. Trip jumped to his feet, finding Eartik crouched on one side of the creature and Xerrix crouched on the opposite side of the creature.

Xerrix made a soft sound and Eartik slowly moved to the right, putting himself between Trip and the creature. The creature circled, watching the two. The creature lunged at Eartik. Eartik moved deftly to the right, leapt over the top of the animal and caught it’s leg. Using all his strength, he threw the creature. The creature’s teeth snapped shut on air in front of Trip’s stomach. Xerrix attacked the creature and for a few minutes there was the creature’s squeal mixed with Xerrix growling. Xerrix grabbed hold of the creature’s head and snapped its neck. Xerrix stood and quickly lost his balance when he put too much weight on his ankle. He closed his eyes, holding his injured ankle and trying to force back his tears of pain.

“Here,” Trip said, trotting over to him. He helped Xerrix back to his seat.

“You should look over there and see if you can find where it came from,” Xerrix said.

“Planned on it.”

Xerrix smiled. “Haven’t fought like that...since my master died.”

“Let’s not make it a habit. Especially with a bum ankle. Deal?”

“I agree.”

Trip got up and collected the corpse. He walked over to where Ensign Benton’s body was and dropped the beast near her body. Trip returned to the group, crouching down beside T’Pol.

“You okay?” Trip asked her.

“That is a rhetorical question.”

“Good. Glad to hear it.” Trip turned to Archer, kneeling down beside him. “You?”

“I was dreaming of chocolate raspberries,” Archer joked.

Trip smiled. “Dream of women and wine too. Makes it all go together better.”

“I’ll try.” Archer’s eyes shut again.

Trip patted Archer’s shoulder. He got up and picked up a lantern, turning it on. Trip turned and started across the pit. He looked down when he felt a hand on his hip, finding Eartik beside him. He almost ordered the child to go back, but he was nervous enough that he wanted the company while checking this out. Trip lifted the lantern up when he reached the wall and walked along it until he came to a hole the size of the beast. Trip crouched down, examining it.

“It came through there?” Eartik asked.

“I don’t know.” Trip sat the lantern down, looking at the footprints in the black sand around the hole, “These look like its footprints though.”

“That’s small.”

“Big enough for that creature to come through.”

“What if there’s others?”

“Yes. What if there are,” Trip mused, looking around. He spotted a boulder slightly bigger than the hole. “Wait here, Eartik.”

Trip got up and walked over to it. He pushed on it, but the boulder wouldn’t budge. Trip looked at Eartik.

“On second thought, I need your muscle kiddo.”

Eartik trotted over and together the two rolled the boulder in front of the hole.

“What if that hole leads out?” Eartik asked.

“What if it does?”

“I could have fit through there.”

“Not a chance even if hell froze over am I sending you in there, Eartik.” Trip picked up the lantern and took Eartik’s hand. “And don’t go getting any wild ideas of going behind my back, either, understand me?”

“But--”

Trip stopped, crouching down so he could look Eartik in the eyes. “Eartik, no. And don’t lie to me like you do about the Jefferies tubes and maintenance tunnels. I don’t want you going in that hole. Even if there aren’t any other creatures in there, you could get lost. You are not to go in that hole. Got it?”

Eartik nodded.

“What?” Trip asked him.

“Yes, sir.”

Trip stood, taking his hand. “Good boy.”

Eartik looked up at Trip. “I wouldn’t lie about that, Trip,” Eartik promised, “Not that. You’d be sad if I got hurt or lost, so I really do promise this time, Trip. I swear I do.”

“Good. Remember that.”

“I will, Trip.”

Trip tightened the waist strap of the pack around Eartik’s waist.

“That’s too tight, Trip,” Eartik complained.

“I don’t want it swinging while your climbing, Eartik.”

“But I can’t breathe. I’ll fall if I faint!”

Trip loosened the strap some. “Better?”

“Yeah. I can breathe now.”

Trip looked up at Eartik’s face. He laid his hands on the boy’s arms, waiting for Eartik to look at him.

“Now tell me again what do you do when you get to the top?” Trip asked.

“I’ve told you seven times already.”

“Tell me eight times.”

Eartik heaved a heavy sigh. “When I get to the top I get away from the edge and the soft dirt as fast as I can until I reach rock. And then I used the tricorder to get back to the surface and I hail Hoshi with the communicator and I do exactly as she tells me with no questions.”

“Good.”

Trip looked up the sandy wall. He was having doubts about sending the boy up the wall. Trip looked at Eartik when he put his hands on Trip’s shoulders. Eartik smiled.

“Better get going, Trip. I’m not getting any younger,” Eartik told him.

Trip chuckled. “Okay, old man.”

“Eartik,” Archer called.

Eartik turned. Archer motioned the boy to him.

Eartik walked over and knelt down beside Archer. “Yeah, K’pan?”

“Don’t dally. You know what that means?”

“No.”

“That means don’t stop until you get to the surface, Eartik. I need you to do this for me, okay?”

“'Cause you’re hurt, huh?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll hurry.”

“No. Don’t hurry. Take your time, Eartik, but don’t dally, don’t stop like you did coming down here. Keep moving. Okay?”

“O-kay.” Eartik smiled, patting Archer’s good shoulder. “I won’t dally and I’ll get my dad to come help you, okay?”

“Okay,” Archer whispered.

Eartik patted Archer’s good shoulder again and trotted back to Trip. “All ready now.”

Trip laid his hand on Eartik’s shoulder and the two walked to the wall that led up to the tunnel they’d come down. Trip walked along the wall until he finally found a spot that looked manageable for the first few meters.

“Here, Eartik. Start here.”

Trip looked down. Eartik pulled off his shoes and socks and handed them to Trip. Trip put them in the backpack and switched on the flashlight swinging from the backpack.

“Okay, kiddo, get climbing,” Trip told him, “but take it slow. Don’t get in a rush getting up there. And don’t stop talking until you get to the top. I want to know where you’re at on the way up in case you fall so I can catch you.”

Eartik looked sidelong up at Trip, “Can I go yet dad?”

Trip smirked, “Yes, son. Get up there!” Trip ruffled the boy’s hair.

Eartik turned to the wall and took a long deep breath. “And don’t dally.” Eartik grabbed two rocks and started climbing.

Trip backed up a couple steps, watching the boy climb.

“And get to rock when I get to the top and use the tricorder to get to the surface and call Hoshi and do what she says. Sheesh! You adults worry too much, know that Trip?”

Eartik had disappeared into the darkness, but Trip could still see his flashlight swinging back and forth as he climbed.

“It’s our job. Someday when you’re an adult you’ll get that job too, Eartik.”

“Nope. Never going to be an adult, Trip.” Eartik called back down.

Trip smiled. “Betcha will.”

“Betcha I won’t.”

Trip smiled some more. “Will too!”

“Will not!”

“Will too times infinity and beyond.”

“Not fair!”

Trip chuckled. “I never played fair when I was your age. Why start now?”

“’cause you’re Trip and you’re supposed to. Okay, I’m at the top Trip. I’ll get help, guys.” Eartik called out a second before the flashlight light vanished.

“Don’t get in a rush, Eartik!” Trip yelled.

“Okay!” Eartik’s voice was far away already. “Bye!”

Trip looked down, “God’s speed, Eartik.”

“Charles,” T’Pol called.

Trip turned and went back to tending to his patients.

Travis and Ensign Sherie Fields were following the tunnel they were in, watching their tricorders for any reading to locate their missing captain and crewmen. Travis heard the sound of footsteps approaching and stopped, watching down the tunnel. He didn’t see anything down the tunnel he was walking. He looked behind them, listening and waiting.

“There,” Sherie said.

Travis looked where she pointed. He could make out a faint light that was gradually getting brighter. Travis stepped around, drawing his phase pistol.

“Hello?” Travis called out.

The footsteps stopped.

“Hello?” a familiar voice repeated.

Travis smiled. “Eartik?”

“Who’s that?”

“Travis.”

“TRAVIS!” Eartik yelled and Travis heard Eartik start running.

The boy ran right into Travis, throwing his arms around Travis’ waist.

“I’m so glad to see you,” Eartik said, giving Travis a tighter squeeze. He stepped back, looking up, “But I’m not supposed to dally. K’pan told me so. They’re back down there.” Eartik pointed back down the tunnel. “K’pan and T’Pol are hurt bad. Xerrix’s ankle is broken. Trip’s okay, but he’s not much of a doctor like my dad. Ensign Benton’s dead. None of them know I know but I know she is.”

Travis pulled his communicator out of his pocket and opened it. “Travis to anyone.”

“Go ahead,” someone replied.

“Can you get a lock on my position?”

“Yes.”

“I found Eartik and he says the captain and others are further down. I need a team to go with me. I’m sending Sherie back to the surface with Eartik.”

“All teams report to Ensign Mayweather’s position immediately.”

“Come on Eartik.” Sherie held her hand out to the boy.

“No. I have to go back down to show you where they’re at,” Eartik said, stepping back into the tunnel.

Travis put his hands on Eartik’s shoulders, “Eartik, do you have any idea how worried your parents have been since you’ve been missing?”

Eartik shook his head.

“You’ve been missing for two days now and they have been worried out of their minds about you. Go with Sherie and go back to Enterprise, okay?”

“But what about--”

“You found us and now we’re going to get them out. Go with Sherie, Eartik. You’ve done a great job finding us and telling us where they’re at.”

Eartik looked down. “Okay. Here.” Eartik handed Travis his tricorder. “Trip made the route out red. I guess you can follow it. I guess you don’t need me after all.”

Travis smiled. “We did need you. We were heading in the wrong direction, Eartik. You did a great job.”

Eartik offered Travis a weak smile. He didn’t resist Sherie taking his hand and leading him back up the tunnel.

#

Trip looked up, hearing voices. His heart was beating in his throat with anxious anticipation.

“Hello?” someone called.

“Down here. Don’t come near the edge,” Trip called back. “It’ll give way.”

There was a quiet murmur of people talking.

“Trip?” Travis’ voice asked.

“Yes!”

“Eartik’s quite the trooper. You’re nearly five kilometers off the main tunnel.”

Trip smiled. “He’s a good kid. What’s the plan?”

“Don’t have one yet. Got a few problems here and not real sure what to do.”

“Problems? You mean like the ground giving way? No light? Bats?” Trip asked sarcastically.

“To name a few. Eartik said the others are hurt.”

Trip’s humor vanished. “Xerrix’s ankle’s swollen, but he’s conscious and okay. T’Pol’s in and out.” Trip looked down at Archer. “The Cap’n’s been unconscious a long time, Travis. His head’s bleeding and he’s in really bad shape. I think we’re working against the clock.”

“We’re hurrying. I’m tossing down a med pack. Eartik said you needed one.”

Trip looked up. “Yeah. Toss it.”

Trip saw a form appear suddenly out of the dark and he ran and caught it.

“Got it?”

“Got it.”

“There’s two crewmen posted up here. If you need anything, let them know. I have to go back to let Malcolm know you guys are alive at least and get some ideas on how we’re going to work this.”

“Hurry, Travis.”

“I will. Be right back, sir.”

Trip looked down at the pack in his hands.

“I could use something for the pain,” T’Pol said quietly from behind Trip.

Trip walked over to her and knelt down. He opened the pack and dug out a vile and hypospray. He inserted the vile and pressed the hypospray against her neck.

“Better?” Trip asked.

T’Pol nodded a little.

“Let me know if you need anything, T’Pol. Don’t go Vulcan on me now, okay?”

“I promise I won’t go ‘Vulcan’ on you, Charles.”

Trip reached down, laying his hand on her cheek. She turned her head, letting her cheek rest against his hand.

“You really hurt, don’t you?” Trip whispered.

“Yes.”

Trip sat down beside her. “I could sing.”

“I said I was already in pain,” T’Pol rejoined.

Trip chuckled. “Yeah. You did.”

“Tell me more of your family,” T’Pol requested.

Trip looked up, thinking. He began talking in a quiet voice.

Trip looked up from the PADD he was working on when he heard Archer move. Trip stood, setting the PADD on the bio-bed next to him. He leaned his hip against the bed, laying his hand on Archer’s forearm. Archer’s eyes opened to slits.

“Welcome back, Cap’n,” Trip said with a smiles. “Feel like running some laps?”

“No,” Archer whispered, but his oxygen mask muffled his words.

Archer slowly lifted his hand toward the mask.

“Here.” Trip reached out and slid the oxygen mask down. “If either Doc catches you without that I’ll never hear the end of it, but I can’t stand ‘em either. Doubt that a little while off will hurt.”

“T’Pol?” Archer whispered.

“She’s okay. Fractured a couple ribs and her leg, and busted her arm in two places. Xerrix just sprang his ankle real good. The two of ‘em hobbling around the halls is pretty funny to watch.”

Archer attempted a faint smile. “Me?” he whispered.

“You, on the other hand, tried to keel over a couple times this week.” Trip patted Archer’s arm. “But you’re on the mend. Doctor Phlox said you’d be in here for a spell, but he muttered something like he doubted you’d stay long enough for his preference.”

Archer’s eyes closed. “Tired.”

“Gotta put this back on.” Trip picked up the oxygen mask to put it back over Archer’s mouth. “Then you can take a nap.”

“Trip,” Archer whispered.

“Yeah?” Trip pulled the mask down.

“Stay. Please”

“I’m not going anywhere. Promise.”

“Good friend.”

Trip smiled, patting Archer’s arm again. “Just returning a bunch of favors was all. Get some sleep, Jon.” Trip gently placed the oxygen mask back over Archer’s mouth.

Trip waited until he was sure Archer was asleep before returning to his work on the PADD.


Back to Chapter 1

This series continues in One Man's Trash

The next Tweens story is Truth Scores

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.