Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Flash Paper"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: The Suliban kidnap Archer, but are ill-prepared to deal with a drug addicted captain. They bring Bionq from the past in exchange for his cooperation, having no idea what demon they've unleashed. Daniels brings T'Pol and Trip to the future to fix it.


CHAPTER 2

T’Pol and Reed had been shut in the commons room with the Vatylo for ten minutes. While a pleasant and gracious race, the Vatylo had a sharp, rotten egg smell that permeated everything. Reed discretely tried to hold his breath or breathe through his mouth. T’Pol remained rigid, as if nothing was bothering her.

“Your offer is very generous,” T’Pol said; repeated, actually, “but we do not require compensation.”

“We insist. You saved the life of our leader’s son. We are indebted to you.”

The door opened and everyone looked up. Hoshi walked up to T’Pol.

“Ma’am, I need to speak with you immediately. It’s important.”

T’Pol stood. “If you’ll excuse me a moment. Lieutenant.”

Reed stood to follow her.

“Refresh their drinks,” T’Pol ordered him

Reed looked at the pitcher and the glasses. Masking his annoyance, Reed obeyed.

#

Hoshi turned to T’Pol in the hall, handing her a PADD. T’Pol read it.

“We intercepted this message?” T’Pol asked.

“Yes.”

“And are you certain it originated from Enterprise?”

“Yes. T’Pol, Silik is somewhere on Enterprise.”

“Suliban are, we don’t know that it’s Silik.”

“You know it is, T’Pol. He asked about killing Archer.”

“Suliban who were not Silik have tried to kill Captain Archer before.” T’Pol interrupted Hoshi before she replied, “and this message says nothing about killing Captain Archer. You are jumping to conclusions.”

“It says ‘Subject inept. Termination proceed?’ Who else would they be talking about?”

“We have several injured aliens from the space station. It could be any one of them. Were there any other messages after this one?”

“There have been several audio messages sent.”

T’Pol looked down the hall, thinking. “Return to your post and monitor all frequencies.”

“Should I alert... Anyone?”

“No. I’ll handle this matter.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Hoshi hurried off.

T’Pol stepped back into the room. “Advisor,” she said as she walked up to the table. “An issue has arisen that requires my immediate attention. We appreciate your courtesy, but we do not require repayment. Your Majesty,” she turned to the child sitting on her left, “We have been honored by your stay.”

The child gave her a missing tooth grin.

“Lieutenant, please contact two of your armed crewmen to escort our guests to their ship.”

Reed walked to a companel and called two crewmen. T’Pol bowed to the Vatylo prince and left.

#

All of the alien survivors had been gathered into a cargo bay. Crewmen went from alien to alien, scanning them with medical scanners. Other crewmen were setting up cots along the walls for the alien’s stay in the cargo bay. The aliens watched them with open suspicion but so far they were taking the situation calmly, so far.

Overhead Trip watched the process. He heard the door open and watched Reed approach him. Reed looked over the crowd amassed below him. His brow dipped into deep concern.

“Where are the rest of the monks?” Reed asked.

“Huh?”

“We rescued eighteen monks from the space station. There’s only thirteen. Where is the other five?”

Trip and Reed looked at each other, coming to the same realization at the same time.

“Send a team to the Brig, Malcolm!” Trip upholstered his phase pistol, running out of the cargo bay.

Reed ran to a companel, tapping it. “Security team to the Brig! Secure the Brig immediately!” Reed ran after Trip.

#

Phlox looked up when he heard the order but didn’t stop walking. He looked at the two security guards outside the brig. Phlox stopped between them, holding the hypospray with both hands.

“Is everything alright with the Captain?” he asked.

“Yeah. I checked on him five minutes ago and he was asleep.”

Phlox tapped the door control, stepping in. He felt air move past his shoulder and turned. There was nothing there. Phlox walked to the cell door, glancing back. There was no one else on this side of the wall. Phlox entered the security code and entered. He didn’t notice the door close behind him several minutes after he passed through it. Phlox walked over to Archer, laying a hand on his shoulder to wake him.

“Good afternoon, Captain.”

Archer reached for the hypospray, plaintively begging, “I need some, Doc. My head his throbbing.”

Phlox sat down on the edge of the bed, keeping the hypospray out of Archer’s reach. “How do you feel?”

Archer closed his eyes, groaning softly. He rolled onto his back, letting his hand drop.

“Tell me what you’re feeling, Captain. Anger? Grief?”

Archer rolled onto his side, pulling his head down by applying pressure to the back of it with both hands.

“My head hurts, Phlox. Just give me the damned shot!”

“You know I can’t yet, Captain. We must talk first. Has Bionq been here?”

Archer looked up. Phlox suddenly flew across the room, dropping the hypospray. Archer’s eyes fixed on the hypospray. He crawled off the bunk, reaching for it.

“NO!” Phlox yelled, reaching for the hypospray as Archer’s fingers closed around it.

Phlox was thrown against the wall and knocked unconscious. Archer leaned back against the bunk, closing his eyes as he gave himself a shot. His trembling hand drifted to the floor.

“Archer,” someone crooned.

Archer opened his eyes, staring into Silik’s eyes. Archer lunged forward, ramming Silik into the wall. Out of nowhere, Suliban appeared and threw him to the floor. Archer fought both them and the encroaching blackness. Trip, Reed, and six armed guards ran into the Brig.

“No. Oh, no, no, no,” Trip begged fate. “Not again. Not again!”

He tried to hastily enter the security code, but the pad wouldn’t accept it. He kept trying, watching the struggle inside as he did.

“RESTRAIN HIM!” Silik ordered.

With a furious roar, Archer suddenly became lost in violent insanity. Lacking inhibitions, Archer started beating a Suliban with his bare hands, oblivious to the fact that he was killing him. The Suliban tried to restrain Archer, but with the drug powering his strength, they were no match against him.

Trip aimed his phase pistol at the controls and shot them. Using the bare wires, he overrode the door controls. Silik grabbed a chair and slammed it against Archer’s head. The blow sent him against the wall, knocking him unconscious. He leapt onto Archer’s back, holding his phase pistol to the base of Archer’s head. Trip, Reed, and the security guards stopped at the door. Trip inched toward them, holding Silik’s gaze.

“He is no threat to you, Silik,” Trip hissed between his teeth.

“And why is that, Commander Tucker? He just killed one of my men and that’s not in the Captain Archer I know.”

“He’s sick. If you take him with you, he’ll try it again. You can’t control him.”

“Then I’ll kill him.” Silik, the Suliban and Archer were transported out of the cell.

Trip grabbed for Archer’s sleeve but his hand passed through air.

“DAMNIT!” Trip yelled.

#

T’Pol watched the view monitor, sitting on the edge of the captain’s chair.

“Trip to T’Pol,” Trip said.

T’Pol tapped the companel. “Go ahead.”

“Silik took him, T’Pol. Scan for their warp signature. We have to go after him.”

“We will be departing as soon as we have the signature. Report to Engineering.” T’Pol tapped the companel. “Mister Mayweather, find that warp signature. Ensign Sato, hail all ships approaching to retrieve crew. If they cannot be here in ten minutes, tell them we will return later with their crewmen. Do not explain why.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Hoshi immediately went to work.

T’Pol looked up at the view screen. Unseen to the crew her anger was rising. On its heels was her determination. She was not about to lose one of the two most important people in her life. Not after she had risked everything to save him from a murderer and bring him back from a deadly drug.

#

Archer struggled against the Suliban as they drug him through halls. They entered the temporal chamber and deposited him on the floor. Archer was immediately on his feet, attacking them. The disorientation of delayed time didn’t have any effect on him or deter his intent of killing them.

Silik moved away, watching the struggle. Archer’s rage and lack of inhibitions scared Silik, not that he’d ever let anyone know that. His instincts screamed at him that this whole thing was wrong, that they should have left Archer on Enterprise, or killed him on the spot. But he obeyed his orders instead and brought Archer back: alive and insane.

“Jonathan,” a calm voice said.

Archer spun to attack the speaker but faltered, staring at the blacked out image standing on the platform. He slowly approached it.

“Who are you?” Archer demanded.

“That doesn’t matter. What does matter is you. How are you feeling?”

Archer scowled. “I need more Tepriozyl. If you don’t have any, we have nothing to talk about.”

The figure was silent for a moment. In a quiet voice he said, “That could be arranged. If you give me the answers I’m searching for.”

Archer peered curiously at the figure. He reached out, trying to grab an arm, and his hand passed through air. He walked around the figure, watching him.

“No. That’s not what I want,” Archer said.

“Then what do you want?”

“I want my wife. I want Bionq.”

“Your wife?”

“Yes. Those murders on that ship killed her!”

“Which ship?”

“The one these creatures took me from.” Archer pointed at the Suliban.

“You don’t know what the ship is called?”

“I don’t care. They killed my wife, they keep me prisoner, and they drug me. They’re trying to get me to tell them secrets.”

“What secrets?”

Archer stood in front of the figure, crossing his arms. “You can’t give me Bionq any more than they can, because she’s dead.”

The figure leaned to the edge of the platform. The image flickered around the edges. “Actually, I could, but I have to know more about your wife. I need to know where in the past I can find her.”

“How?”

“I have my means. Is she what you want? If you had her back, would you cooperate with me?”

“Prove to me you can do it. Bring her back now.”

“It doesn’t work like that, Jonathan. But while you’re deciding how willing you’re going to be, I’ll look for her. Tell me about her, where she came from.”

Archer smirked; it was a cold expression that made Silik very nervous and more certain this was not the Captain Archer he knew.

“I don’t know how long ago it was. Those humans,” Archer spat the word with a snarl. “They took her prisoner and we fell in love. They were going to execute her because they thought she was a murderer. But we escaped and tried to hide. They found us and killed her.”

The figure stood up. “I will look for her.”

Archer smiled. “Bring me Bionq, and I’ll tell you anything you want to know.”

“Take him to some quarters.”

Archer left with the Suliban. Silik hung behind, watching them leave. He turned back to the figure.

“There is something wrong with him.”

“It’s the Tepriozyl. He lives in an illusionary world while it’s in his blood. You say he was locked in their Brig?”

“Yes. Their doctor came in before we took him. He was going to give him a shot.”

“That doctor wouldn’t be contributing to an addiction. He’s too moral. He must be helping him through rehabilitation. We have to find out who on that ship is posing as him and continuing to alter our future. That is the person you will kill.”

“And what of Archer?”

“Make him comfortable, but not too comfortable, Silik. When the drug leaves he’ll suffer. Leave him until he’s in considerable pain, and then bribe him for information with the drug.”

“As you command.”

The image disappeared. Silik’s lips thinned. He knew he should argue and disagree with his orders, but past reprimands scared him into obedience.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.