Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Flash Paper"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: The Suliban kidnap Archer, but are ill-prepared to deal with a drug addicted captain. They bring Bionq from the past in exchange for his cooperation, having no idea what demon they've unleashed. Daniels brings T'Pol and Trip to the future to fix it.


CHAPTER 3

T’Pol and Trip walked into the loading bay. The murmur of the aliens talking died instantly and all eyes turned to them. Reed and two security guards pushed in behind them.

“You requested to speak to the captain,” T’Pol began, “but he’s--”

“Indisposed,” someone said. “You keep telling us that. He must be an inconsiderate captain.”

“He is very considerate, just busy. What is it you wish to discuss?”

T’Pol looked up when a Bolian stepped up. Reed stopped him with his rifle. All of a sudden a riot broke out. The aliens quickly disarmed the men and trapped T’Pol in the center of cargo bay.

“WE DON’T WANT TO FIGHT!” the Bolian bellowed over the voices.

Silence quickly came over the group. He moved through the aliens to T’Pol.

“Then why have you?” T’Pol demanded.

“We want answers. There are some species in this room that wish to harm you because they feel betrayed.” He glanced at one of the aliens, but T’Pol couldn’t tell who he was looking at. “But that won’t do us any good. Besides, you did rescue us from the space station.”

“Most of us,” someone grumbled.

“It was inevitable,” the Bolian said to the speaker without looking back. “No one could have saved everyone on the station. It happened too fast.”

“It was probably these humans that did it,” someone else snarled.

“We did not sabotage the space station,” Trip argued from across the room.

Above them the door opened and five security guards ran onto the catwalk. The aliens that had taken the weapons aimed at them.

“WAIT!” T’Pol yelled.

Everyone stopped moving.

“What do you want?”

“Why have you shoved us all in this room like this? Why are there armed guards watching us?”

“It is for your own protection,” T’Pol explained.

“From what?” the Bolian demanded.

T’Pol didn’t answer. He moved in on her and she retreated right into another Bolian and Altarian. They didn’t back down and the Bolian didn’t stop moving until they were chest to chest.

“From what?” he quietly demanded.

“Suliban.”

The Bolian immediately withdrew. A murmur moved through the crowd. The Bolian motioned everyone to be quiet.

“Why do the Suliban want to harm us?”

“Shortly after we moved you into this room, the Suliban kidnapped a crewman. We are following their warp signature and should we be attacked by them, this is the safest location on Enterprise.”

“Who did they take?”

“That’s not important.”

“This ship isn’t strong enough to withstand an attack from Suliban cell ships,” the Altarian snarled. “It’s not even strong enough to withstand an attack from a Ferengi ship, it’s so weak.”

“We have defeated the Suliban before, we will do so again. I understand your frustrations and your concerns, but we have to get the person back.”

“And where is your captain during this?” the Bolian asked.

“Indisposed.”

“What in Raknishla does that mean? Indisposed?”

T’Pol drew a breath before telling him, “He is very ill. He has been confined to his bed and is clinically unable to take command of this ship at this time.” T’Pol looked at him. “We are continuing this mission for him.”

The Bolian’s angry face softened. He bowed his head slightly to her.

“That is honorable.”

“Or a death wish,” the Altarian spat.

“Either way,” T’Pol continued, “We must continue and I must return to the bridge. If you need anything, please ask the guards outside the doors.”

T’Pol turned to leave. She spun when a hand grabbed her shoulder. The Bolian caught her flying hand from hitting him. Above them phase rifles clanked as they were aimed at the Bolian.

“We still have a problem if you are pursuing the Suliban,” the Bolian told her, letting her arm go.

T’Pol stepped back. “And that would be?”

“Regardless of your ability to defeat the Suliban in the past, it still stands that this ship is poorly armed to defend itself. It doesn’t have energy shielding, does it?”

“We have adequate shielding.”

“But not energy shielding. We, my people and I, are willing to help you upgrade the shielding.”

“And why would you do that?”

A Ferengi leaned around her. “Because we don’t want to die, Vulcan. And with a ship as defenseless as this one, I’d be willing to help you upgrade your targeting systems. At no charge.”

“Your canons could be made stronger,” someone said.

“And if you have the parts, we can build photon and burst torpedoes,” someone else added.

T’Pol didn’t answer.

The Ferengi pushed in close to her, grinning. “I have no intention of leaving my latinum to my wife and children any time soon.”

T’Pol looked away. “I must confer with my first officer and chief engineer. Excuse me.”

T’Pol walked through the aliens to the door, motioning Trip and Reed to follow her. The door closed and she turned to them.

Trip started talking before T’Pol spoke, “They don’t want to die any more than we do, and we might have a much better chance at getting the Cap’n back if we accept their help.” Trip motioned at the door. “Except maybe those Ferengis. Our last encounter with them wasn’t so good.”

“We don’t know if we can trust them, T’Pol,” Reed argued. “I advise against this.”

“I’m all for it,” Trip retaliated.

T’Pol opened her mouth to speak but Reed cut her off. “They could be tricking us, Trip.”

“They aren’t. They’re just scared.”

“And you know this for a fact do you?”

T’Pol again tried to speak, this time cut off by Trip. “Optimism, Malcolm, optimism.”

“Optimism killed the cat.”

“That was curiosity and you don’t know that. I think their offers are sincere.”

“I disagree.”

“Gentlemen!” T’Pol barked. The two looked at her. “We are going to accept their offer to help. That is all.” T’Pol went back into the cargo bay.

Both were surprised by her sudden decisiveness.

Reed looked up at Trip. “Weren’t we supposed to be consulting?”

Trip shrugged. The two went back into the loading bay, hearing T’Pol talking to the aliens and making arrangements for their quarters with the security crewmen.

#

Archer sat in the corner of the room, hugging himself. Cold sweat ran down his body, stung his eyes and had plastered his hair to his head. His weak body shook uncontrollably and he hurt in every muscle and joint. The door opened and Silik entered. Archer watched him walk up.

“Where am I, Silik?” Archer hissed.

“I see the Tepriozyl has worn off,” Silik crooned. “This Archer is easier to get to.”

Silik crouched before Archer, crossing his arms on his legs. He dangled a hypospray between two fingers. Archer’s eyes instinctually followed it as it swung. He was half grateful when a headache spiked into his temple, forcing his eyes closed.

“Pain?” Silik asked.

“Go to hell.”

“You were asking for Bionq.”

Archer opened his eyes, staring across the room. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I’m certain you do.” Silik held the hypospray up. “I bet you can remember Bionq more clearly now.”

“I don’t remember anyone by that name.”

“Phlox asked you about her, so I know you do.”

Archer defiantly shook his head. “I don’t know anyone by that name.”

“You are in pain, Archer. Your head hurts, your body hurts, and you’re very, very cold.” Silik leaned in. “Soon, you’ll start convulsing and then you’ll slip into a coma and you will die.”

Silik drew out ‘die,’ and it grated on Archer’s nerves. He wanted to punch that smug face, but he feared he didn’t have enough strength to stand, let alone throw a punch. Beside that, he knew Silik was right. Phlox had repeatedly told him what would happen if he tried to simply stop taking the drug. He had to ease off of it, slowly, and let his body adjust to it. Or die.

“Who is she?” Silik probed.

“I don’t know,” Archer hissed.

“Then let’s ask the other you.”

Archer shook his head. “I won’t take that drug.”

Silik grabbed Archer’s wrist, yanking him forward. Archer fell to the floor. Pain stabbed into his hand and up his arm. He looked down, finding Silik was giving him the shot in his hand. Archer caught himself when Silik let go.

“Let’s see what the other you says, shall we?” Silik crooned as he stood and began pacing while he waited for the drug to take over Archer’s mind.

Archer put his hands on the back of his neck, pulling down on it. Pain spread across his brain as slow as mud. And on it’s tail was dark insanity. Archer tried to fight it, tried to keep it from coming, but in the end he lost. Archer opened his eyes, staring at the wall for a moment. He climbed onto his feet, his face a cool expression of calm hatred. His eyes followed Silik’s every move in a way that he never could while he was off the drug.

“Welcome back,” Silik told him.

“And why haven’t I killed you again?” Archer asked him.

Silik smiled. “We need to know more about Bionq, Archer.”

“What of her?”

“What do you remember of her?”

“We fell in love, escaped, they hunted us down and killed her. Now they keep me prisoner.”

“Prisoner, is it? Do they ask you questions? Interrogate you? Do they experiment on you?”

“No.”

“And yet they keep you prisoner? Are you sure you’re a prisoner?”

“YES!”

“Perhaps you’re right. Where did you first see Bionq, Archer?”

Archer scowled at Silik. Silik produced the hypospray again, holding it tantalizingly before Archer.

“Do you want more?”

Archer reached for it. Silik yanked it away, backpedaling.

“Answer the question.”

Archer closed his eyes. He scowled, trying to think, to remember.

“I could remember if I had a shot,” Archer said.

“The memory first.”

Archer tried to grab the hypospray from Silik, but he was faster. He jumped to the ceiling, hanging over Archer’s head and well out of his reach.

“GIVE IT TO ME!” Archer bellowed.

“Memory first, then the drug.”

Archer closed his eyes, beating his fists against his temples. He suddenly became still and opened his eyes. “Sata Linus. I met her at Sata Linus. She worked in the game room.”

Silik held the hypospray out. “Catch.” He dropped the hypospray.

Archer caught it and pressed it to his neck. He closed his eyes, sinking to the floor. Silik dropped to his feet before Archer, watching him. Mostly he gloated seeing this once proud captain reduced to a drug addict. But somewhere much deeper, a part of him that desired a deeper attachment, ached. It enjoyed the games the two played; reading into them more than was really there. It was the only thing that kept Silik from drawing the knife hidden in his clothes, and killing Archer right now.

Silik walked out of the room.

#

Archer woke when the door opened and the lights came on. He sat up, watching Silik and armed Suliban came in. Archer got to his feet, prepared to fight despite his weakened condition.

“I have a surprise for you, Captain Archer.”

Silik looked back. Archer followed his gaze, watching Bionq walk in. She smiled as she approached him. Archer moved away from her, making Bionq turn a glare on Silik.

“You said he wanted me.”

“He will. When he’s had a shot of Tepriozyl.”

“It’s mixed?”

“Yes.”

“I need it in pure form.” Bionq walked up to Silik. “It won’t work unless it’s in pure form.”

Silik handed her the hypospray. “This is all you get, Bionq.”

Silik and the Suliban left the two alone. Bionq turned to Archer. Archer moved across the room, keeping his distance.

“You made me like this,” Archer hissed. “I hate you.”

She smiled. “The pain will come again, you’ll want it to stop, and you’ll beg me for it. You always did.”

“Did? You’ve already kidnapped me?”

“You’ve been in my care for a week now. You’ve been such a good husband.”

He looked around the room, trying to find a way out, away from her, away from the Suliban and back to his ship and the people who cared what happened to him. Cold realization threatened Archer as it mounted in him as fear. He realized he couldn’t trust his own mind; it had ripped away all his securities and pride. His dependence on Trip, Phlox, and the rest of his crew was slowly eating away his confidence.

Archer shuddered as pain stabbed into his temples. It foreshadowed the pain he was about to suffer if he didn’t accept the drug Bionq held. And if he died, there would be no returning to his ship and crew. Archer slowly approached her. He looked away when she smiled as she injected the drug into his neck. Archer closed his eyes against burning tears of shame.

#

T’Pol looked up when she heard voices. Kneeling next to a panel were two engineering crewmen and three aliens. T’Pol passed them, catching parts of their conversation. It sounded like they were working well together. She looked down the hall she turned into. Hoshi and another alien were walking toward her. As they passed, T’Pol heard them were talking about upgrading the communications array to enable it to work with less subspace beacons.

T’Pol stopped in a junction, looking down each of the four halls. Humans and aliens were working all around her to upgrade Enterprise’s defenses. And it made her grieve.

“You alright?” a soft voice asked.

T’Pol turned, watching Trip walk up to her.

“Captain Archer would be proud of his crew.” T’Pol looked back at the aliens and engineering crewmen. “What are they doing?”

“The Ressikans said we could improve our energy efficiency if we use polytrachline shield inhibitors instead of silicon ones on the power conducers.” Trip moved a little closer, lowering his voice. “He was always proud of them.”

T’Pol looked up at Trip. “Right before he pursued the Xindi weapon, and Daniels took him into the future, did he ever tell you what Daniels told him?”

“No.”

“He told him he was supposed to initiate the charter for the United Federation of Planets. It would unite many worlds and races under one government.”

“He’ll be here for that, T’Pol.”

“I hope so. I’ll be in the ready room.” T’Pol walked away before Trip responded.

#

Silik and six other Suliban walked into a dark room. Silik turned on the light and smiled. Bionq and Archer woke from the light, pulling the covers over their naked bodies.

“Your expected in the temporal chamber,” Silik informed them.

“When we’re ready,” Archer said. He kissed Bionq, pulling her tight against him.

Silik stormed up to the bed, threw the covers back and drug her out of the bed. Archer charged him, prepared to fight. A knife glinted in the light and came to rest against Bionq’s throat. Archer froze, holding Silik’s gaze.

“She’s alive for now, but I will have no problem returning her to the dead, Jonathan.”

Archer glared at him. Silik smiled when he saw a bead of sweat roll down Archer’s face.

“Tepriozyl is another luxury. Imagine how excruciating it will be to die without it.”

Archer didn’t move. Silik slowly released Bionq to Archer. She turned to Silik, watching him with a smile.

“We need to dress,” Archer growled.

“Then I suggest you hurry. Or you’ll speak to him naked.”

The two dressed and were led out of the room. They turned down a corridor and Archer suddenly spun and punched Silik, ripping his phase pistol away. Bionq attacked the Suliban near her, ripping a phase rifle away from one. She changed the setting on the weapon and opened fire on the Suliban, killing them without hesitance. Archer snatched up a phase pistol, grabbed her arm and the two ran.

Suliban appeared out of now where, blocking off halls and doorways as they ran. The two ran into an airlock, finding themselves trapped. They turned and opened fire on the Suliban.

In the space between the inner and outer hatch the shadows moved and Daniels and two temporal agents emerged. Daniels grabbed Archer’s shoulder. Archer spun, thrusting his pistol into Daniels’ face.

“Who are you?” Archer demanded.

Daniels’ eyes enlarged. “Jonathan, I’m Daniels. You’ve known me for several years.”

Archer lunged at Daniels, pinning him to the floor and shoving the pistol under his jaw. Daniels pushed Archer off. Caught off guard, Archer hit the wall. Daniels leapt to his feet.

“Grab her. We have to go.” Daniels ordered the temporal agents.

Archer lunged at Daniels as he tapped a device on his wrist. As the two flew toward the wall Daniels grabbed Archer’s arms.

Suddenly the world changed and the men crashed into a glass table. The table tipped over and dumped them on the floor. Daniels used the momentum to catapult Archer head over heel onto his back. Daniels was on his feet with his weapon aimed at Archer before Archer could recover. Archer stopped on his knees, glaring at Daniels. With a quick glance he took in the office they’d arrived in and that the temporal agents had a hold of Bionq.

“Stand up slowly, Jonathan,” Daniels ordered.

Archer slowly obeyed.

“Walk slowly through that door.” Daniels motioned to the door to their left with his weapon.

The group moved slowly out of the room.


Back to Chapter 2
Continue to Chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.