Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Flash Paper"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: The Suliban kidnap Archer, but are ill-prepared to deal with a drug addicted captain. They bring Bionq from the past in exchange for his cooperation, having no idea what demon they've unleashed. Daniels brings T'Pol and Trip to the future to fix it.


CHAPTER 4

T’Pol and Trip hurried through the halls, passing aliens and crewmen putting on the last touches on the system upgrades.

“Is Travis sure it stopped in this system?” Trip asked.

“Yes,” T’Pol answered. “At a gas planet.”

Enterprise rocked, throwing T’Pol and Trip against the hull. The two ran toward a lift.

“They found us,” Trip said.

T’Pol and Trip stopped at a lift and waited. Enterprise rocked.

“Sato to T’Pol!”

T’Pol tapped a companel next to the lift. “We’re on our way, Ensign.”

“There are ships pouring out of the gas giant, T’Pol.”

“We have to proceed. I’m on my way to the bridge right now.”

The lift door opened.

“T’Pol out.”

T’Pol and Trip got on the lift and Trip tapped the button. Enterprise rocked again, throwing them against the lift wall. Trip caught T’Pol, keeping her from falling. The lift door opened and the two ran out...

#

Trip and T’Pol stumbled to a stop in an office with a large screen behind the desk. The screen showed an attack on what appeared to be Paris. Daniels sat on the edge of the desk, arms crossed over his chest, watching the two with a stern expression that was very uncommon for him.

“We have to talk,” Daniels said.

“Put us back on Enterprise,” T’Pol demanded. “We are under attack by the Suliban and we have to recover a crewman that was kidnapped by them.”

“You mean Captain Archer?” Daniels pointed behind them.

The two turned. There were a dozen monitors on the wall monitoring various areas of the complex they were in. One showed Archer sitting in a corner, sweating and hugging his knees. On another monitor a person came into view and Trip’s eyes widened. Anger twisted his face as his blood began to boil. He spun and stormed toward Daniels. Trip grabbed him, slamming him against a wall with his good arm.

“WHAT THE HELL IS BIONQ DOING HERE!?” Trip demanded, pointing at it.

T’Pol looked at the monitor and quickly turned away. Her calm didn’t betray her even as a cold lump formed in her stomach. She would have rather been forced to face off with a Xindi reptile or even Silik, than to contend with Bionq existing again.

“WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT--”

“Trip,” T’Pol said calmly.

She walked up to him, laying a hand on his arm. He looked at her and she saw his rage and pain. She could only guess what was causing him the most pain: remembering killing Bionq or the thought that he might have to do it again. Both chilled her.

“Allow him to explain first, Trip,” T’Pol told him. “We cannot jump to conclusions until we have all the facts.”

Trip slowly let Daniels go, stepping back. Daniels straightened his uniform, watching the two.

“Bionq was with him when we went to the Suliban helix to prevent her from taking command of it.”

“What?” Trip gasped. “She does what?”

“Before we went back, an Acrynov named Bionqettes Doriche became ruler of the Suliban. They started killing other aliens without discretion and they were feared because of this. Rumor had it that she had a human husband for many years during her ascension in power, but when he betrayed her, she killed him and attacked Earth.”

“Is that attack Suliban?” Trip pointed at the monitor.

“No. It a race called the Wesvta grew in power under Bionq’s rule and turned their trade of assassination into mercenary soldiers. As we speak, they are attacking Earth under her command.”

“Bionq is still alive? How far in the future did you bring us?”

“Three hundred years and she is mostly machine now. She came in contact with the Borg, killed the queen and proceeded to re-write history. Where in time did Bionq come from? Where was she stopped?”

“She worked as at a game room on Sata Linus.” Trip answered.

“I need more. I have to know where to put her back at or this history will continue.”

“If you just put her back, won’t she have memories of this?” Trip asked.

“Yes, but--”

“That won’t work. If she knows we know who we are, we won’t be able to kill her.”

“How did you kill her?”

Trip looked down, swallowing hard.

“How did you kill Bionq, Commander?”

Trip didn’t answer.

“Commander Tucker, I have to--”

“I SHOT HER! Okay? I killed her. She was going to kill Captain Archer and I killed her. And then he tried to kill me. Happy?”

Daniels didn’t mask his surprise. “That was never recorded.”

“Not a lot of people know about it.”

“Not a lot of people ever knew he was addicted to Tepriozyl, either. Or that he wasn’t in command of his ship for... How many months has it been? When he’s lucid, he can’t remember.”

Trip didn’t answer. Daniels turned to T’Pol.

“Well?”

“Five months,” T’Pol answered.

“T’Pol!” Trip hissed.

T’Pol ignored Trip, continuing, “Bionq must be returned to her time without the knowledge of anything that has transpired. And we must return Captain Archer to Enterprise and leave Suliban space.”

“I agree that Bionq must be returned, and without knowing anything about this, but not that Captain Archer should be returned. He’s unfit to command. Why was that never reported to Starfleet?”

“It has been.”

“It was never recorded.”

“There is much in human history that has never been recorded, Daniels. Many great leaders never had events that would soil their honor made public.”

“He is unfit to command the ship, T’Pol. And yet--” Daniels stopped short, smiling. It was one of sudden understanding. “You-- You’ve been commanding in his stead, haven’t you? How have you managed to pass off documents that require his signature?”

The two were silent, looking anywhere but at Daniels.

“How have you kept this a secret?” Daniels gently asked, like coaxing a child to admit to a wrongdoing.

“It’s not so hard to...” Trip hesitated, his jaw flexing.

“Not so hard to what?”

“I’ve always been able to forge his signature.”

“That’s a lot of reports to write.”

“I just sign them. Most of them, anyway.”

“Then T’Pol writes the reports?”

“Only ones that pertain to astrometrics and managerial duties.”

Daniels put his hands on his hips. “I’ve read all the reports from this era. Before history was re-written. Nothing was out of order during this time. Who else is involved?”

“The entire crew pitches in. Lieutenant Hess writes all the addendums for Engineering. Reed and his first officer write everything about armament or security. Chef writes--”

Daniels was taken back. “The entire crew is involved in this conspiracy?”

“It’s not a conspiracy.” T’Pol rebutted.

“You’re hiding the fact that he is a drug addict.”

“He is not a drug addict.” Trip snarled. “He is sick. She,” Trip pointed at the monitor that showed Bionq, “made him sick. She’s the reason we’re in this mess in the first place, isn’t she? It’s that bi-- woman’s fault that he tried to kill me, that Reed is T’Pol’s first officer, that the Suliban kidnap--” Trip hesitated. “Kidnapped him. Why did the Suliban kidnap him, Daniels?”

“That’s not important.”

“THE HELL IT ISN’T!”

“There are things--”

“This would not be the best time to tell us how knowing about the future could alter our present, Daniels.” T’Pol said. “The Suliban kidnapped him, even when they must have known he was not well. Clearly there is something in our future and your history that changed. What was it?”

Daniels didn’t answer. He walked over to the monitor, watching the ongoing attack.

“The Federation became powerful and great. Races from two dozen quadrants, but two years before they had in previous timelines. Instead of five races signing the charter, there were twelve. It was all because Captain Archer helped rescue dozens of species from Garges space station.”

“We rescued them,” Trip stated.

“And history remained the same until the Suliban kidnapped Archer from his ship. Archer was lost for nearly thirty years and T’Pol became captain. The Federation was still formed, but there were only four races. Archer was found but he died a year later from an overdose. When history changed to this,” Daniels motioned at the screen, “We had to investigate what changes were causing it.” Daniels was silent a moment. “While I believe what you’re doing is wrong, clearly this keeps history on track and makes for a stronger future for everyone involved.”

“Then you’ll let us take him back?”

Daniels turned, tapping his desk and stared at the monitor. He looked up at them.

“Things must proceed exactly as history had been written. Enterprise must still combat the Suliban. The ships of the aliens aboard your ship will come to your aid. You won’t defeat the Suliban, but you will wound them. It will work to your advantage when you resume your original mission.”

“And what about Bionq?”

“We’ll return her to her time and she won’t remember a thing. Where is Archer being held on Enterprise?”

“The Brig.”

“I’ll return him there. He is having severe withdrawal symptoms. Phlox needs to attend to him as soon as you get back.”

“We’ll do that,” Trip answered.

Daniels reached across him toward a device on his arm. He stopped, looking up at them.

“Why are you two and the crew doing this?”

“We’re protecting his honor,” T’Pol explained, “and preventing him from losing his father’s ship.”

Daniels nodded and tapped his arm.

The two found themselves on the bridge. It rocked from a missile hit. Reed noticed them first.

“IT’S ABOUT TIME!” he yelled.

“Return to Engineering,” T’Pol ordered Trip. She rushed to the captain’s chair and sat down. “Lieutenant Reed, open fire on the Suliban ships.” T’Pol tapped the arm of the chair. “T’Pol to Phlox.”

“Go ahead.”

“Captain Archer is in the Brig. He needs a dose of Tepriozyl immediately.”

“I’m on my way.”

“When did we--” Hoshi started.

“Lieutenant Reed, are there any other ships on sensors?” T’Pol interrupted.

“Only Suliban. If we have the Captain, we need to leave,” Reed told her. “We’re outnumbered.”

“No.” T’Pol’s voice took on a dark, unfamiliar tone. “We will fight.”

Reed didn’t argue. And when the alien ships arrived, he guessed she’d known, because she simply ordered them to advance on the Suliban helix, destroying all Suliban ships in their path and reducing the helix to ruble.

E

Archer sat against the wall hugging his knees to chest. He remembered shards of the events that transpired, but they were such small fragments that they only left him more confused. He looked up when the door opened. Doctor Phlox entered the Brig with a covered plate and a hypospray poking out of his pocket. Porthos trotted beside him and when he saw Archer he began whining and pawing at the door. The door opened and Porthos bolted through, running over to Archer. Archer smiled, sweeping him up in his arms in a tight hug. Porthos licked his face, beating Archer with his wagging tail.

Phlox sat next to Archer, setting the plate between them.

“How are you feeling? How is your head and the shaking?”

“Tolerable.”

“Then let’s hold off on the injection for a little bit.” Phlox uncovered the plate to reveal fruit cut into slivers. He picked one up and bit into it, then held the plate out to Archer.

“Try it,” Phlox urged.

“What is it?” Archer took a piece, looking it over and sniffing it.

“Reziun melon. Chef got them yesterday and thought you might like it.”

Archer tried a bite. “This is good. Tastes like papaya.”

Phlox smiled. He sat the plate back down.

“Have you been meditating like T’Pol showed you?”

“Yes, but it’s not bringing any of the memories back.”

“It’s probably for the best.”

Archer finished the piece and sat the fruit peel on the plate.

“I want to speed this up, Doc. I want to be sane all the time.”

Phlox looked down. “Speeding the process up is too dangerous, Captain. I can’t do that.”

“There isn’t anything you can do, then?”

Phlox looked at him. “Why do you want to rush things? You’re doing so well.”

“I’m vulnerable, Phlox. I can’t stand to live like this and I can’t put this crew at risk any more.”

Phlox leaned toward Archer, holding his gaze. A warm smile spread across his face.

“Captain, don’t you know?”

“Know what?”

“There isn’t a crewman, including this crewman,” Phlox pointed at himself, “That wouldn’t put his or her life down for you. And not because you’re our Captain, either, because you have done it for all of us at one time or another. You care. Now let us care. Don’t rush this. Don’t make us lose you due to impatience.” Phlox sat back. “Alright?”

Archer looked across the room. He looked down when Phlox tapped his arm. He was holding a piece of the melon out to Archer. Archer looked up at his face. He still wore a warm smile. It was so contagious that Archer couldn’t help but return it.

“I’ll try to be more patient, Doc.”

“That’s all I ask.” Phlox picked up a piece of fruit, biting into it. “Now, I must tell you what this ornery dog of yours did. He certainly knows how to get a laugh out of the crew!”

Archer laughed. He cuddled Porthos to him, resigning himself to the luxury of the sweet melon and the company of his dog and friend.


Back to Chapter 3
This series continues in Reality Flux

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.