Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Fork in the Road"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: The prank wars heat up, T'Pol learns how to express her love through dancing, Hoshi kicks butt in poker.


Counterplay (6)

Archer stopped at Trip’s door and pressed the doorbell. He looked down at Porthos sitting at his feet.

“So, what did you think about the movie?” Archer asked the dog.

Porthos wagged his tail.

“I thought it was--”

The door opened and Archer turned to greet Trip. Archer’s mouth froze on his words. Trip was floating upside down at the door.

“Uhm...Trip...” Archer craned his head to the side. “What are you doing?”

“The gravity plating is acting up.”

“It is?”

“Yeah.”

“Isn’t that kind of serious?”

“It’s only in my quarters.”

“It’s only in your quarters? Don’t you find that a bit odd?”

“Well, you know these ships. They’re kind of weird that way.”

Archer’s eyes narrowed. “And when did this oddity happen, Trip?”

“While I was in the shower.”

“And let me guess, it’ll resolve itself in a few hours, right?”

“Oh yeah. Just a minor, temporary, glitch.”

“And what exactly is your plan of attack after it resolves itself.”

“Attack, Cap’n?”

“Attack.”

“I don’t follow.”

Archer rolled his eyes. “This has gone from babysitting teenagers to babysitting a summer camp! Now you two are breaking into each other’s quarters?”

“I wouldn’t call it breaking in. Breaking in is a bit harsh. I like to think of it more as unforeseen visits.”

“Unforeseen visits?”

“Hanging around, Commander?”

Archer looked around. Malcolm and Sista were standing behind him staring at Trip.

“Hey!” Trip waved to them.

Sista laughed. “You enjoy floating?”

“Occasionally. Hey Cap’n, did you know that Travis sleeps in zero-g’s every night?”

“Yes.” Archer answered.

“I should try it and see if I sleep any better!” The gravity plating turned back on and Trip crashed to the floor.

Trip picked himself up. “Like I said. It’ll fix itself in a few hours.

“How can you be so lighthearted about this? Doesn’t it bother you that she’s breaking into your quarters?”

Trip laid a hand on Archer’s shoulder. “Only you are bothered, Cap’n. I...find it a unique and motivating challenge to be met every week. This whole thing has kept Sherie and I both on our toes. And with all the hostile aliens we’ve encountered, I’d think you’d be thankful for that Good-night.” Trip stepped back to let the door close.

Archer closed his eyes.

“He has been enjoying this, sir,” Malcolm commented.

“DON’T,” Archer spun, pointing at Malcolm and then Sista, “Either one of you encourage them.” Archer walked off down the hall.

Malcolm and Sista started laughing when they thought it was safe to.


Back to Chapter 5
Continue to Chapter 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.