Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"I'd Rather Be..."
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Hoshi finally gets to meet her pen pal, the girls get toasted after a bad day, Archer and Trip go sand surfing, and Malcolm receives a call from his father.


Jammin’ (7)

Trip followed Malcolm around the bend of the wall.

“This could wait, Malcolm,” Trip said.

“Wouldn’t you rather just get it done now, sir?” Malcolm glanced back at Trip.

“No. I’d rather go eat dinner, turn in early and be a little less zombie like tomorrow.”

“Zombies are walking dead. You hardly can be classified as that, Trip,” Malcolm replied.

“It was a figure of speech, Malcolm,” Trip growled.

“It will only take a moment, sir.”

Trip sighed. His stomach rumbled loudly in protest. Malcolm stopped outside Lieutenant Porter’s quarters and rang the doorbell.

“I could sign it tomorrow, Malcolm,” Trip argued.

“But you’re already here.”

“And he isn’t answering.”

Malcolm rang the bell again. “It’s just a signature, sir.”

Trip narrowed his eyes. “You’re wife is right. You can be amazingly stubborn!”

“I like to think of myself as determined, sir.” Malcolm rang the bell again.

“He isn’t home, Malcolm! I’m going to eat.” Trip turned to leave.

Malcolm caught Trip’s arm. “He’s home,” Malcolm argued and entered the security code.

“MALCOLM!” Trip scolded Malcolm, watching him step through the open door.

Trip stepped in beside Malcolm, both men stopping inside the door and staring. Lieutenant Porter was standing in front of the view port of his quarters. He had on a pair of headphones that were attached to a stereo and amplifier. The stereo was playing background music that was turned up so loud both men could hear the beat. Plugged into the amplifier was an electric guitar that Lieutenant Porter was putting his body into as he strummed it.

“We should go,” Trip whispered.

“I need his sig--”

“Later, Malcolm,” Trip said, grabbing Malcolm’s arm and starting to back toward the door.

The door opened as the music stopped and Lieutenant Porter turned, looking openly surprised when he saw the two men standing in his quarters.

“We’re leaving,” Trip said loudly. “Sorry for the interruption.”

Lieutenant Porter pulled his headphones off, resting them on his neck.

“I thought something was wrong,” Trip continued lying, “when you didn’t answer the door. I had Lieutenant Reed open the door to make sure everything was all right. Everything is! We’ll talk tomorrow. Sorry for the interruption.”

“Sir,” Malcolm said, pulling his arm away from Trip.

Trip shot a glare at Malcolm. Malcolm looked back at Lieutenant Porter. “Excuse us. We’ll talk tomorrow.”

Lieutenant Porter said nothing while he watched the two men disappear back out his door. The door closed but Lieutenant Porter stared at it for a few more minutes.

“That was weird,” he thought out loud.

Lieutenant Porter put his headphones back on, turned back around and went back to playing his guitar.


Back to Chapter 6
Continue to Chapter 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.