Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"I'd Rather Be..."
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Hoshi finally gets to meet her pen pal, the girls get toasted after a bad day, Archer and Trip go sand surfing, and Malcolm receives a call from his father.


Care Package (8)

Malcolm had been pacing the same stretch of floor for the last ten minutes. Archer and Sista watched him from the couch.

“He’s nervous,” Sista said.

“No. Really?” Archer joked.

Sista smiled.

Archer looked back at her. She was sitting back on the couch and looked tired. Affixed to her right shoulder was a combadge.

“He thinks he’s going to be yelled at,” Sista told Archer.

“For what?”

“He doesn’t know,” Sista said.

“Why would his parents yell at him?”

“I’m sure it’s something. They wouldn’t want to contact me directly if they weren’t going to carry on about something,” Malcolm interjected.

Archer looked up at Malcolm. “I think you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill.”

“You don’t know them, sir.” Malcolm glanced at Archer.

“He wore a hole in the mess hall the day of our wedding. Remember?” Sista joked.

“Yes. He did.” Archer looked back at her. “You think he’s hiding something from us?”

Sista smiled. “Possibly.”

“Vardee, can’t you be serious?” Malcolm snapped at her.

“No.” Sista shook her head. “I’m too tired to be serious.”

“At least be when they call!” Malcolm said.

“I make no promises.”

The companel beeped in their quarters.

Archer stood. “Well, because they’re using a Starfleet secure channel I was told I had to be present, but not visible. I’ll be in the children’s room.” Archer motioned to the bedroom.

Sista nodded, watching him go into the room. She sat up, watching Malcolm walk over to the companel and hesitate.

“You have to press the button, sweetheart,” Sista said.

Malcolm shot her an angry look. He pressed the button.

“Yes?”

“We’ve received the transmission from Starfleet, sir,” Hoshi said.

“Put it through,” Malcolm said.

“You’ll only have ten minutes before we’ll move out of range and lose the signal,” Hoshi advised Malcolm.

“Very good.” Malcolm walked over to stand in front of the view screen. He glanced down when Sista slid her hand into his and held it.

The black view screen lit up and Stuart Reed, Malcolm’s father, appeared on the screen. He was sitting in a plain room with gray walls and a couple of consoles, but there was no other person in sight.

“Sir,” Malcolm said.

“Hello, Mr. Reed,” Sista said in her gentle voice.

Stuart stared at the two of them.

Sista smiled. “I wish no disrespect, but we only have ten minutes before the signal is lost. You will have to get straight to the point, I'm afraid,” Sista quietly informed the two.

“Where’s mum, sir?” Malcolm asked.

“Good place to start, Malcolm,” Stuart said, nodding his head slightly, “She and Madeline think I’m in Sweden on business. It would be best that we allow them to believe that. They have no need to know that I’m here talking to you.”

“If you think it's best, sir.”

“Understood Vardee?” Stuart said.

“As you wish, sir.”

Stuart nodded, looking down. “So...I’m a grand-father?”

“Yes.” Sista smiled when he looked up. “Kasbra Nayel and Jon Nathan.”

Stuart lifted up a PADD that he had in his hands, nodding. “These two are beautiful.”

“We think so,” Sista said. She pulled close to Malcolm, sliding her arm around his waist even though he didn’t attempt to hold her.

“How have you been keeping, Malcolm?”

“Well, sir.”

“That’s good. Good indeed.” Stuart looked up. “Do you know Admiral Garner?”

“Yes, sir,” Malcolm answered.

Sista shook her head.

“Friendly chap, that admiral. We had a lengthy talk about Starfleet. I came to realize how similar it is to the Royal Navy.”

“They do have many similarities, sir.”

“Yes. I told him he was lucky to have the best munitions officer of Britain.”

Malcolm swallowed, staring at his father. He felt Sista nudge him in the back with her hand.

“Thank you, sir,” Malcolm said.

Stuart nodded. “Must be the best. He told me your captain chose you out of a hundred candidates. A coveted position, I’d assume.”

Malcolm didn’t reply.

“Captain Archer told me once that he thought Malcolm was the best,” Sista said.

Stuart nodded. “He’s a good officer.”

“Officer...sir?” Malcolm asked.

“Of course!” Stuart nodded. “You’re a fine officer.”

Malcolm didn’t reply. He gripped Sista’s hand tight when she slid her hand into his, the only indication of his nervousness.

“And how are you two getting on?” Stuart asked.

“Well, sir,” Malcolm said.

“As well as most married couples do, I understand,” Sista commented, smiling.

“Well, every married couple is bound to have a dispute every now and then. My Malcolm can be a stubborn sort, Vardee.”

“He can be. But it’s one of his most admirable characteristics.” Sista gently laughed.

Stuart’s hard face seemed to soften. “He has many admirable characteristics, Vardee. I hope you find them all.”

Sista smiled up at Malcolm. “I hope so too, sir.”

Malcolm looked away from the screen.

“I’m proud of you, son.”

Malcolm looked up, unable to hide his shock. “Sir?”

Stuart’s lips pursed for a second. “Your mother and I are both proud of you, Malcolm. And we...I, am happy that you have married and you have two lovely children. You are doing something I never would have done, let alone dreamed of doing, and for that I can only condone your bravery, son.”

Malcolm stared at the screen in dumbfound silence.

The companel beeped. Sista walked over to answer it.

“Yes?”

“We’ll lose the signal in ten seconds, Vardee.”

“Thank you, Hoshi.”

“Well, best to bid you both farewell. That’s what I called to tell you, Malcolm. I am very proud of you and I love you son. I look forward to seeing my grandchildren in person one day.”

“Five seconds,” Hoshi said.

“We look forward to meeting you, sir,” Sista said, looking at Malcolm.

Malcolm opened his mouth, shut it, then blurted, “I love you fa--” The view screen went black. “Father,” Malcolm whispered to himself.

Sista slid her arms around him, holding him. Malcolm wrapped his arms around her, holding her even tighter.

“He’s proud of me,” Malcolm whispered.

Sista smiled when Malcolm looked at her. “Yes. And he loves you.”

Malcolm smiled, kissing her. “Thank you for not letting me back out of this.”

Sista smiled. “One of us has to be the more stubborn one.”

Malcolm pulled her to him in a tight hug, closing his eyes. He looked up when he heard their door open and watched Archer leave without a word. Malcolm closed his eyes again, pressing his face into his wife’s hair.


Back to Chapter 7
Continue to Chapter 9

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.