Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"I'd Rather Be..."
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Hoshi finally gets to meet her pen pal, the girls get toasted after a bad day, Archer and Trip go sand surfing, and Malcolm receives a call from his father.


I Had A Dream (9)

T’Pol startled awake when the door of her quarters opened. For a moment she thought she was dreaming and then she heard someone walk up to the bed.

“T’Pol?” Trip whispered from the darkness.

“Yes?”

Trip climbed into bed beside her. She felt his body trembling even before his arms wrapped around her and he pulled close to her. He laid his head on her shoulder and his hot tears soaked through her nightshirt.

“Was it a nightmare?” T’Pol whispered, holding him to her.

“Yeah.”

T’Pol let out a soft sigh. Since the Caritek had kidnapped him, every so often Trip would go through a couple days of nightmares. Most of the time he handled them well and only needed her to listen to them. But occasionally he apparently couldn’t handle them and he would come to her like this.

“Tell me about it, Charles,” T’Pol whispered.

“The Caritek kidnapped you and you forgot who I was. We came to rescue you, me and Jon and Xerrix, have no idea why Xerrix was there, and I tried to remind you who I was. You were working in this diner in the middle of the desert but you had a phaser. And you shot me. I lay dying and you remembered me then. But when you went to kneel down by me they came and took you away again. And I went to find you again. I looked in every room of the house and then I was going down every street and I couldn’t find you. I couldn’t find you anywhere. I went into this boathouse and found you getting married to this man. You didn’t remember me. The police came and arrested me and the more I screamed the further away you got. Until you were gone. I couldn’t get to you. I lost you.” Trip started crying again.

T’Pol laid her hand on his cheek. “Do you feel like you’re losing me?”

“No.” Trip caught her hand and kissed her palm and fingers.

“Are you certain?”

“T’Pol, if I felt like that I’d say something. I’m not losing you,” Trip paused. “Am I?”

“Never.”

Trip let out a breath he’d held until she answered. “I just need you. I love you.”

“I love you as well, Charles.”

Trip nestled his head into her shoulder. T’Pol listened to his breathing until it slowed with sleep. T’Pol allowed herself to go back to sleep and one dream stood out in her mind the next morning. She had spent hours working alongside Trip to build their house using green and blue bricks and carefully laying on brick at a time. And the sun had been bright and somewhere nearby she had heard the gleeful sound of children laughing.


Back to Chapter 8

The next short story is Calvary

The next Tweens story is Borderline

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.