Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"I'm a Believer"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: In this chapter of the tweens the prank war continues, Porthos charms aliens and goes for a mud bath, and Trip administers his special brand of first aid.


Father’s Day (1)

Archer slowed to a stop. He backpedaled, looking through the open classroom door. Navta was sitting in the middle of the floor cutting something out of colored paper. Beside her Porthos was lying against her leg gnawing on a chew rope. Archer quietly stepped into the classroom and sat down in a chair at the back. He leaned his elbows on his legs, watching the two.

“What do you think?” Navta asked, holding the cutout for Porthos to see.

Porthos glanced up at it and returned to his rope. Navta nodded once and sat it aside. She picked up another piece of colored paper that had drawings on it and began cutting out the drawings. Porthos stood, stretched and licked Navta’s hand.

“Yes?” Navta asked him.

Porthos sat and made a soft growling noise.

“And then what?” Navta asked him.

Porthos barked quietly.

“No. I didn’t see that. Is that true?”

Porthos barked again.

“Well, if you think so.”

Porthos stood, wagging his tail and barked again.

“He’ll like it. Don’t you think?”

Porthos barked again, licking Navta’s cheek.

“Lay down. I have to finish this before he gets off work. Down, Porthos.”

Porthos laid back down and returned to gnawing on his chew rope again.

Archer stood and slipped back out of the room. He continued toward the laboratory he had been headed to.

#

Archer sat back in his chair and stretched. He looked up when the doorbell beeped.

“Come in,” Archer said.

T’Pol stepped in, her eyes immediately going to the mobile hanging above Archer’s desk. She handed the PADD in her hand to Archer without looking away.

“You like it?” Archer asked with a smile.

T’Pol looked down at him.

“It was a present from Navta,” Archer explained.

“What was the occasion?”

“Father’s Day.” Archer felt his cheeks heat. “She said she didn’t have a father so I was going to be it from now on when Father’s Day came along.”

T’Pol looked at the mobile. “It is colorful.”

Archer smiled. “Yeah.” Archer held up the PADD. “Thanks.”

T’Pol turned to leave. She turned back, looking at Archer.

“When Navta told you this, what did you tell her?” T’Pol asked.

“Nothing. Why?”

“She gave me a card for Mother’s Day with a similar explanation. When I inquired why she didn’t give it to Vardee, she said Vardee is like her sister and that I reminded her of the mother’s she’d heard other crewmen talk about.”

Archer smiled. “She likes you, T’Pol.”

“As a mother?”

“As a mother figure.”

“You would not advise discouraging this misconception?”

“It’s not a misconception, T’Pol. She doesn’t think you’re her mother. She feels that you’ve assumed that role and you should feel honored.”

T’Pol thought for a moment. “But you believe she does not assume I am her mother?”

“No. She definitely does not assume that. She just looks to you for guidance, help and someone she can talk to about things.”

T’Pol thought again. She turned and left the ready room. Archer smiled, looking up at the mobile. He reached up and pushed it into a slow spin before turning back to his work.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.