Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"In Good Time"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: The crew encounters a primitive alien race that have a deeper secret, Archer tries to convince Trip to show his artwork, Trip and Malcolm are up to their usual shore leave tricks, and Trip has a plan for a girl with a crush on Archer.


Plotting (8)

Brila smiled when Archer approached the counter. He handed her his glass with a smile and then turned and walked back to the table, sitting down between Malcolm and Travis. Malcolm continued his story and the three began laughing. Brila smiled, watching Archer as she slowly put one dish at a time in the tub in front of her.

“Brila!” a voice snapped sharply but softly.

Brila jumped, letting go of the glass in her hand. Trip caught it before it hit the dishes in the tub.

“What are you doing in the kitchen?” Brila asked, glancing at the back where Chef was cleaning. “Get out before Chef sees you, sir. He’s been in a bad mood all day.”

Trip leaned on the counter. “You gotta admit somethin’ first.”

“Leave,” Brila pulled the glass away from Trip, “I’m already on his black list today.”

Trip smiled. “You’ve learned English really well. Why is that? Trying to impress someone?”

“NO! Get out!” Brila snapped in a whisper.

“Not until you admit somethin’.”

Brila looked back out at the mess hall with a sigh. Her eyes stopped on Archer again and she smiled.

“Commands attention real well, doesn’t he?” Trip asked Brila.

Brila looked at him. “Who?”

“The Cap’n.”

Brila smiled. “He’s a captain. It comes with the job, sir.”

“Oh cut the sir crap, Brila! And you’re attention of him has nothin’ ta do with him being a cap’n. I have watched you watch him for the last few months so fess up, woman.”

“There isn’t anything to fess up.”

“Right.” Trip leaned on the counter. “You know what’s really depressing?”

“What?” Brila looked at Trip.

“He’s a cap’n and he can’t consort with the crew. We’ve been out here for eight years. It’s had to have been a lonely eight years.”

Brila looked down. “I doubt it’s been eight years.”

“Do ya now?” Trip moved closer to her, lowering his voice, “You know something his best friend doesn’t?”

Brila looked up at Trip. “No, I just doubt it has.”

“Why’s that?”

“You need to leave.”

“Not until you fess up.”

“Fess what, Trip? What do you want to know? We don’t have any more pecan pie.”

Trip chuckled. “Sounds good, but that’s not what I want to know.”

Brila glanced nervously at Chef. “Trip, while I can sense emotions,” Brila looked back at Trip, leaning close to him to hiss, “I CAN’T READ MINDS! So you’re going to have to tell me what you want me to fess up to because I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Do you have a crush on our dear Cap’n?”

Brila looked at Trip. “No.” She quickly looked away.

“Look me in the eyes, tell me that again, and don’t look away.”

Brila looked up at Trip and tried to say no again, but it didn’t come out. She looked down, running her finger along the tub edge.

“Why are you asking me this?” Brila asked.

“I owe Vardee a really giant of a favor. So you do like ‘im?”

“What does she have to do with this?” Brila looked up at him.

“She’s tired of hearing you bellyache about it, so we had a little chat about you and about him and about the two of you and came to the conclusion that maybe what you two need is a little push. I, however, am not about to go into matchmaker mode until I hear it from your lips. Do you, or do you not, have a crush on Jon?”

Brila blushed, smiling. “Yes, but—“

“Hot damn! And I have the perfect plan to get his attention on you, know that?”

Brila looked up at him. “Whatever it is, no. Don’t you do anything, Trip. I mean it. I’m not joking.”

“Why? You like him and I bet that once he notices you, we’ll find a little spark there.”

“I bet you won’t. Besides, I’m crew and I’m Jit.”

“You’re crew, but not Starfleet crew and Jit or not, I know my best friend better than you do. I’m looking forward to changing that though. Come to dance class on Tuesday.”

“Why? I can’t dance!”

“I know. Come to dance class and trust me.” Trip added a full mouth grin.

Brila smiled. “I don’t know what you’re up to, but I doubt dancing will help him to notice me.”

“Brila, will ya trust me already?”

Brila looked down. “Why do you wanna help?”

“Eight years is a hell'uva long dry spell,” Trip joked, grinning when she looked up and opened her mouth to argue the comment, “Seriously, he hasn’t had a date in eight years, you haven’t had a date since Vardee’s known you, I know what interests him, so you have to trust me here. And I owe Vardee a favor. So you come to dance class Tuesday. And if you don’t come, I will hunt you down and drag you to it by your ears.”

Brila chuckled. “Wouldn’t that get his attention?”

“I’m going for positive attention here, Brila. I don’t think that would be real positive.”

Brila smiled. “Fine! I’ll come.” Brila looked down. “Will he?”

“No, but one step at a time here. I have a fool-proof master plan that calls for timing and perfection and you have’ta known how to dance better than he does when it all comes together.”

“Oh…kaaay.” Brila looked as uncertain as she sounded.

Trip laid his hand on her shoulder. “Trust me, Brila. Matchmaker Trip is on the case!”

Brila laughed, looking up at him. “That’s what scares me.”

“Lieutenant-Commander Tucker,” someone said behind them.

Both looked up. Chef was standing behind them with his fists on his hips.

“I, uh…wanted pecan pie,” Trip lied.

“It’s after hours. If it ain’t in the coolers out there, we ain’t got none.”

“Right! I’ll just…leave now. Don’t forget, Brila” Trip turned and hurried out of the kitchen.

Brila watched him leave, smiling.

“Brila.”

Brila looked at Chef, sucking in the corner of her lip.

“Whatever it is he’s got planned, I’m sure it’ll work out.”

“You heard him?”

“I’m old, not deaf, and I’m actually glad he’s doing something ‘cause frankly I’m sick of you brooding and getting moony whenever he comes around.” Chef turned and walked away. “Ya remind me of my daughter when she was in high school!”

Brila laughed. She looked back out at the mess hall. Trip had joined the four and was dealing out cards. Brila picked up the tub of dishes and carried them to a sink to start washing them.


Back to Chapter 6

The next short story is Nuggets

The next Tweens story is All Things Aside

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.