Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Innocent Evil"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Aliens kidnap Archer and Navta with plans to use Navta's venom as a genocide weapon.


CHAPTER 2

Archer looked down at Navta. The sedation they’d given her was finally starting to wear off.

“Where am I?” Navta asked as she sat up.

“On the alien ship in a cell.”

Navta turned at the waist, wrapping her arms around Archer’s neck. Archer hugged her back, kissing her head.

“It’ll be okay, half-pint.”

Navta leaned back against Archer, looking out the cell door. She reached up and scratched her neck. Archer caught her hand and pulled it away.

“They did something with your gland. Remember when Doctor Phlox took a sample from there and you got a rash?”

“Mm-hm.”

“You have a rash again in several places.”

“My neck hurts.”

“Probably because of that.”

Navta looked up at Archer. She reached up and held her hand over his right black and blue eye. Archer smiled, closing his eyes when he felt the warmth of her healing power.

“Guess I didn’t cooperate well enough with them.”

“They hit you other places?”

“I’ll live.”

“I can fix them.”

“Fix my eye and my lip and I’ll feel a thousand percent better.”

Navta laughed quietly. “You can’t feel a thousand percent better, K’pan.”

“I can’t?” Archer opened his eyes when she moved her hand away. “Why can’t I?”

“Because. There’s no such thing.” Navta reached up and held her hand over his lip, healing his split lip as well.

“Oh,” Archer said.

“Shh. I can’t heal it if you talk.”

“Mmmmm,” Archer said.

Navta giggled, dropping her hand. “All done.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Navta leaned back against Archer, stretching her legs out in front of her.

The two were silent for a couple minutes. Navta held her fist out suddenly.

“What?” Archer asked.

“I’m bored.”

“Ohhhh.” Archer held his fist out. “What are you going to choose?”

“I can’t tell you that!”

“But if I know what you’re going to choose I’ll know what not to choose.”

Navta laughed. “K’pan!”

Archer laughed, sliding his free arm around her. “Okay, ready?”

“Ready.”

The two bounced their hands up and down, counting to three. Archer snapped out his index and middle fingers and Navta held her hand out flat.

“AH!” Navta laughed.

“Scissors beats paper.” Archer told her, smiling as he pretended to cut her ‘paper’ with his ‘scissors’.

“Again!”

The two continued playing ‘Rock, Scissors, Paper’ until guards came back for Navta again. Archer stood, watching them lead her away. She looked back, smiling.

“We’ll play again when I come back, K’pan.”

“You bet,” Archer said, forcing a smile. He let it fall when she was out of sight. Archer sat back down, hugging his legs. There was nothing to do but wait now.

#

T’Pol watched the view screen, watching the ship come to a stop.

“They have weapons charged and shielding up, ma’am,” the officer at the armory station reported.

“And they’re hailing us,” Hoshi added.

T’Pol reached down and tapped the COM on the captain’s chair. “T’Pol to Commander Tucker.”

“Trip here.”

“Is everything in place, Commander?”

“Ready on your mark, T’Pol.”

T’Pol nodded once to Hoshi. Restul appeared on the view screen.

“We’re waiting,” Restul said.

“We have the Jit sedated and prepared to transport. We can only transport one at a time, however. We’ll exchange one for our Captain.”

“Hardly! When we have the Jit, and have proof they are Jit, then you’ll get your Captain.”

“How will we know you won’t deceive us?” T’Pol asked.

“You don’t. You have ten minutes to transport them or your Captain dies.” Restul ended the transmission.

“Commander?” T’Pol said.

“Yeah?” Trip replied on the COM.

“Transport now.”

#

The Dilcarq at the transporter controls let out a nervous snort.

“Something’s wrong,” he told the three guards facing the transporter pads.

“What?” one asked.

“I’m reading--”

Malcolm, Ryce, Trip and Zintar appeared on the transporter pads and opened fire on the officers.

Malcolm ran to the door controls and quickly locked the door from the inside. Trip ran to the transporter controls and worked his way through screens until he pulled up blueprints.

“I can’t read any of this!” Trip hissed.

Ryce joined him, watching the screens pass by.

“Stop!” Ryce said.

Trip went back a screen. Ryce looked at the screen. “This looks like a brig layout.”

“It could be anything.”

Ryce looked at him. “Yeah, and it could be brig, too.”

Trip looked at Malcolm. Malcolm shrugged.

“We can’t stay in here forever, Trip,” Malcolm told him, “and Vardee’s powering up the Diedra to launch an attack as we speak.”

“Alright. Can you figure out how to get there from here?”

Ryce looked through more blueprints. “I think I’ve got it.”

Think?”

Ryce looked at him. “I could lie and say I know exactly where it is.”

“I like the lie.” Trip walked to the door, standing on the other side. “Let’s go.”

Zintar and Ryce stood next to Malcolm. Malcolm released the door and they ran out firing.

#

Archer heard a door open at the end of the hall, but didn’t move. He looked down at Navta. She had her arms wrapped around his neck and her head resting on his chest. Archer smiled, stroking her hair back.

“Gee. If I had my camera, this would be a Kodak moment,” Archer heard Trip say.

Archer looked up, surprised to see him, Malcolm, Ryce and Zintar standing inside the cell.

Trip looked down the hall when he heard a noise. He turned and threw a phase pistol to Archer, then turned to fire down the hall.

“Navta,” Archer said, shaking her awake.

Navta woke up groggy, looking around. Zintar walked up to them and crouched down.

“Hey bunny,” Zintar said, leaning toward her.

Navta turned, staring at him. She threw her arms around Zintar’s neck, hugging him viciously. Zintar pulled her away from Archer and sat her down on her feet. Archer got up and joined Malcolm and Trip at the door.

“Clear,” Trip said and then ran toward the brig door.

The men and Navta followed him. They ran out of the brig and quickly ducked back in the doorway to avoid being shot. Archer and Malcolm returned fire in one direction and Zintar and Trip fired in the opposite direction. Archer looked down when he felt pressure on his leg and found Navta standing close to him. He turned back to the fight.

“CLEAR!” Malcolm yelled and they ran down the hall.

“We have to find their shuttle pods,” Malcolm said to Archer, “or get back to the transporter.”

“Shuttle pods,” Archer said.

They ran around a corner and met more Dilcarq. The men took cover, Trip pulling Navta behind him in a doorway.

“Captain,” Zintar yelled.

Archer looked at him. He pointed to the door Archer was standing in front of.

Archer glanced at the door. “What?”

“Try the room. It may be a way out.”

Archer turned and opened the door. It appeared to be a storage room. He stepped back in the door and started firing again.

“Try yours,” Archer called to Zintar.

Zintar and then Malcolm opened the doors they stood in front. Trip looked down at Navta.

“Try it,” Trip told her.

Navta turned and opened the door.

“Lots of things in here.”

Trip looked over his shoulder. There were several consoles in the room.

“How good are you with computers, Navta?” Trip asked.

Navta flashed him a grin before disappearing into the room.

“We’re being pinned down,” Archer yelled, looking both directions.

“We’re going to have to force past them,” Malcolm said.

“Yeah? How?” Archer asked him.

Malcolm glanced at him before firing again.

Trip’s heart leapt when he felt a hand tug on his uniform. He looked down at Navta.

“I found something, but it’s not good,” Navta told him.

“A shuttle pod?”

“I have to show you. Come on. I can put up a security shield on the door for a little bit. And there’s another door on the other side of the hall that leads out.”

Trip looked up for a minute. He leaned toward the edge of the doorway.

“We need to get in this room. Navta says she’s found something we have to see.”

“Cover me,” Archer yelled to Malcolm and Zintar.

Archer ran across the hall into the door. He and Trip covered Malcolm and Zintar and the five ran into the room. Navta stopped at the door and locked it then initialized the security shields. Navta turned and ran over to a terminal.

“Here,” Navta said, climbing up into a chair and pointing at a monitor.

Archer walked over to her. “Navta, I can’t read this. What does it say?”

Navta read the screen out loud: “Transmission preparing for submission. Attention to council. Bio weapon complete and second Jit crossed with serpent acquired. Prepare for infiltration of Akriz planet. Transmission includes all current research and chemical breakdown for synthetic venom.” Navta looked at Archer. “They haven’t sent it because Enterprise is keeping them busy, but as soon as they go off of alert, it’s scheduled to get sent and even if I delete it from here, they’ll just send another one.”

“Can you start the ship’s self destruct sequence from here?”

Navta shook her head. “That can only be initiated from the bridge or engineering, and they’d shut it off.”

“Did you find a shuttle pod?”

“Yeah. But the transmi--”

“How do we get to the shuttle pod?”

“Go out this door and four halls down, take the lift to the next level down and its five halls to the right.”

Archer turned to speak to Malcolm.

“But they’re going to use my venom to kill people, K’pan!”

Archer closed his eyes for a second. He turned and crouched down by the chair. “I understand that, Navta, but we can’t do anything about it if we’re dead. We have to get off this ship alive, and then we can attack them with everything we have and hopefully destroy them.”

“If we leave this ship we won’t be able to do anything, K’pan.”

“We can’t do anything right now, Navta. You can’t start the self-destruct sequence and we don’t have time to figure out how to erase their computers. We have got to go.”

Navta’s bottom lip started trembling. Archer stood and turned his back to her.

“Trip, take point. Ryce and I will flank and Zintar, keep in the middle with Navta. Malcolm, bring up the rear.”

The three nodded. Archer looked down at Navta. She was crying in her hands. Archer gently took her wrist and pulled her to her feet.

“We have to go, Navta. Come on.”

Navta looked up at him, yanking her wrist free from his hold. “THEY’RE GOING TO KILL PEOPLE!”

“I know,” Archer whispered. He crouched down in front of her, putting his hands on her arms. “I know, sweetheart. I’m going to do everything I can to stop them. But we can’t do a damned thing on this ship. And if we don’t get out of here, we’ll be surrounded and killed. Then we really can’t do anything. Okay?”

Navta nodded. Archer patted her cheek.

“Be my strong girl, okay?”

Navta nodded.

Archer stood, kissed her forehead. He looked at Trip. “Lead the way.”

The five left the room and were met by Dilcarq in the next hall. They fought their way into another hall and began making their way toward the lift. They reached a hall and found themselves surrounded. In the confusion, Zintar pulled Navta out of the line of fire and made her crouch down in a doorway behind Archer. Zintar reached up and touched her cheek. Navta looked at him.

“I love you, bunny,” Zintar told her.

Navta smiled.

“You understand the Dilcarq language don’t you?”

Navta nodded.

“Good. When you hear the computer report a core breech, you have to get them out of here, okay?” Zintar motioned to the other four.

“Why’s it gonna say that?”

“Because I’m going to go blow up the core.” Zintar put his fingers on her lips before she could speak. “You’re right, bunny. Once we leave here we won’t be able to stop the Dilcarq from sending that transmission. I won’t have time to get to the shuttle bay once I start this, so you have to watch out for Captain Archer for me. Keep an eye on our captain too. You be good for both of them.”

“Zintar, get back here and fight!” Archer yelled.

Zintar glanced at Archer.

“You can’t--” Navta started.

Zintar tapped his fingers on her lips. “Shhh.” Zintar kissed her forehead, hugging her to him. “I love you, bunny. Blessings to you.”

“Blessings to you, Zintar,” Navta whimpered, “Please don’t do this.”

Zintar smiled, gently pinching her chin. “You look so much like mother. Be a good girl.”

Zintar kissed her forehead again and then turned and slipped through the doorway behind them. Navta sat down, hugging her knees. She heard Archer yell for Zintar to join in the phaser fight four more times.

Archer cursed to himself when a phase stream hit the wall beside him and turned his face away from the sparks.

“Zintar, what are you doing?” Archer asked. He looked back when he didn’t get a reply. “Cover us, Malcolm,” Archer said, walking over to Navta. “Navta, where’s Zintar?”

Navta looked up at him, starting to cry. “He went to blow up the core.”

“What!? How long has he been gone?”

A voice spoke over the ship’s COM. Navta looked up.

“Long enough to blow up the core. The security field is initiated but will only hold for fifteen minutes. All hands report to shuttles and escape pods.”

“Oh God!” Archer stood.

“That made them run away,” Trip said. “What the hell’d that message say?”

“The ship’s going to blow in fifteen minutes,” Archer told him. Archer grabbed Navta’s wrist and hauled her to her feet. He looked both direction and then down at her.

“Where’s Zintar?” Malcolm asked.

“Dead. Lead the way, Navta.”

Navta took off at a run with Archer beside her. The four ran around a corner and slid to a stop. A Dilcarq had a phaser rifle aimed at them. Navta started hissing even as Archer pushed her behind his legs. The Dilcarq raised his rifle to shoot Archer. Navta lunged forward, opened her mouth and bit the Dilcarq’s arm. The Dilcarq squealed in agony, swinging his rifle at her. The rifle hit her across the face, sending her sprawling to the floor. Archer grabbed Navta, pulling her behind a stack of shipping crates. Ryce, Xerrix, Malcolm and Trip dropped behind another stack and the men waited for the Dilcarq to attack. Archer started to get up when the Dilcarq didn’t come, pushing Navta’s hands away when she tried to stop him. He moved cautiously, expecting the Dilcarq to jump up at any minute. Archer stepped around the stack of crates and stared. The Dilcarq was lying on the floor, his body disintegrating as Navta’s venom ate it from the inside out.

“What the hell?” Trip whispered.

“Navta’s venom works fast.” Archer looked away.

Navta was standing behind Malcolm, watching Archer with wide eyes and tears. Archer held his hand out to her. She ran to him, taking it.

“Lead the way, Navta.”

Navta led the way, keeping a tight hold on Archer’s hand. They reached the lift and stepped on, pressing against the sides. The doors opened and Malcolm and Trip fired, clearing the way out. They turned into a hall coming face-to-face with two Dilcarq. The two Dilcarq aimed their weapons at the four and they ducked back around the corner, returning fire on the two Dilcarq. A phaser blast rocked the ship, throwing them into the hall. One opened fire on Navta, Ryce, Xerrix, Malcolm and Trip. They took cover again, Malcolm pulling Navta with him as he returned fire.

The other Dilcarq lunged at Archer, throwing all of his weight into the tackle. He slammed Archer into the wall behind him, knocking the wind out of Archer. Archer’s hands instinctively gripped his phase rifle tighter before the Dilcarq could gain control of it. Archer swung the butt of the rifle up and the Dilcarq blocked it. The Dilcarq punched Archer’s cheek, knocking him off his feet and sending him sliding across the floor on his back.

Trip shot the second Dilcarq and followed the Dilcarq attacking Archer with his phase pistol, trying to get a clear shot. With an angry growl he lowered his weapon and waited.

The Dilcarq followed Archer to the floor, struggling for control of the gun. Archer tried to shove him off, but he was far heavier than he looked. Archer grimaced, feeling the rifle slipping from his grasp. The Dilcarq suddenly stood, ripping the rifle from Archer. Archer swung out a leg and tripped the Dilcarq to the floor. The Dilcarq rolled to the side, shoving the phaser rifle end in Archer’s face. Archer froze. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Navta lunge at the Dilcarq. Archer rolled away when the Dilcarq squealed in pain as Navta’s fangs ripped through the skin of his neck. He swung his arm back, the spikes on his arm ripping through Navta’s arm as she leapt away. She cried out in pain, to the floor. Archer jumped to his feet and helped her back to her feet. Navta was crying, holding her injured arm.

“Navta, I know it hurts but we don’t have much time. We have to get to the shuttle pod right now, kiddo.”

Navta swallowed, nodding. She slid her hand into Archers and led the way at a run.

“THERE!” Navta yelled, pointing at a door. “5C!”

Archer stopped at the door and it slid open. Archer raced onto the shuttle, practically throwing Navta into a chair. Malcolm and Archer positioned on either side of the hatch and covered the other three as they ran to the shuttle pod. Archer closed the door behind Ryce, the last one in. Trip slid into the pilot’s seat and, with a silent prayer, began initiating a launch sequence.

“Go Trip!” Archer yelled. “Go!”

“Just gotta... Figure out how to... GOT IT!” Trip opened a hailing frequency as he initiated the launch. “Trip to Enterprise and Diedra. We are launching from the Dilcarq vessel now. Cover us while we dock.”

“Understood,” T’Pol and Sista replied.

Trip launched the shuttle, scraping through the opening bay doors. The shuttle shot out past the Dilcarq ship and sped to Enterprise. T’Pol ordered the two ships to warp as soon as Trip reported they were safely in the shuttle bay and seconds before a series of explosions destroyed the Dilcarq ship. The men allowed themselves a moment to catch their breath, but the silence was broken when Navta broke into sobs. Archer got up and walked to her. He picked her up in his arms, sitting down in the chair with her.

“Shhh. Shhh,” Archer said, laying his hands on her arms.

“Zintar’s dead,” Navta moaned.

Archer pulled her onto his lap, holding her while as she cried.

“Who’s going to help me with homework, K’pan? And tell me to finish my beans and when I should wash Mr. Jiggles and...”

“Shhhh,” Archer said to her, hugging her.

“WHO?” Navta started crying harder.

Archer smiled when she looked at him. “I guess I’ll have to take that job, Navta.”

“You can’t.”

“Why not?”

“You don’t call me bunny. He always called me bunny.”

Archer leaned his head down, smiling at her. “Bunny, this will all work out. Not right away, but given time. You’re not alone.”

Navta laid her head on his chest, sobbing. “I’m already missing him, K’pan.”

Archer closed his eyes. He was hit by the sudden realization he had, in an instant, become the only family Navta had left. The part-time father role he’d assumed had become full-time in the instant Zintar had sacrificed his life for theirs. The thought left Archer suddenly terrified. Archer pressed his face into Navta’s hair, hugging her tighter.


Back to Chapter 1

This series continues in Vivarium

The next Tweens story is Strike Three

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.