Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Left Overs"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: Sista receives word from her father. Sista's news makes T'Pol ask Trip for something special. Hoshi is amazed by the present the crew buys her for her birthday. And that's a wrap!


Hippo Birdie Tu Ewe - Duece (3)

Trip looked up when the doorbell beeped. He turned back to his work. The doorbell beeped again. He sat his brush down and walked out onto the balcony.

“Come in,” Trip said.

The door opened and Hoshi walked in, dressed in her workout clothes. She looked around, finally spotting Trip.

“Hi,” she said, smiling.

“Hi. What’s up?” Trip leaned on the railing.

“I was wonder, hoping actually, if you’d let me see some of your work from the planet.”

“Sure. Come on up.” Trip stood and went back into the room.

Hoshi trotted up the stairs and walked around to the door. She stopped inside, staring at the finished paintings sitting and hanging around the room. They were from encounters they’d had across the galaxy, but currently he was working on the ones from the planet of installation art. Hoshi walked to one of the river. In the Cyprus trees hung long tubes and globes of glass. Hoshi closed her eyes, remembering the sound they made when the wind gently blew against them.

Trip had gone back to work on another painting and kept glancing at her.

“Something wrong?”

Hoshi turned, sitting down in a chair. She hugged her knees, looking around the room.

“I miss that place. It was beautiful.”

Trip nodded. “It was beautiful.”

“Did Captain Archer tell you I finally found the aliens that made it. They’re called the Rafoq. I guess we’re going to be in their area in a month and are going to stop by for a visit.”

“He’d mentioned something about that.”

Hoshi nodded. She laid her hands on her stomach, reclining back in the chair. She looked around the room again and then at Trip.

“Can I ask you something personal, sir?”

“Sure.”

“Does T’Pol watch you paint?”

Trip stopped, standing up straight. He smiled and Hoshi saw love for his wife reflected in the smile. He looked back at Hoshi.

“Usually she sits right there and reads. Sometimes she reads outloud. Sometimes she just sits and watches, doesn’t say a word. But when I look at her, I can see she’s got a lot on her mind. Sometimes I wonder if it’s about what I’m working on, but usually I just imagine she’s working on some great universal problem.”

“You really love her, huh?”

Trip smiled. “I adore her, Hoshi. I can’t remember what life was like without her.” Trip went back to work.

“Someday I hope that happens to me.”

“It will. Just give it time, girl.”

Hoshi chuckled.

“Course, you tell guys you want a gazillion kids and—”

“HEY!” Hoshi laughed. “I never said I wanted a gazillian kids! Two. Tops!”

Trip laughed. “I’m surprised you aren’t painting anything.”

“I can’t… I can’t capture what I felt there. It’s like there’s this safe that all those feelings were put in and now it won’t open.”

“Writer’s block.”

“Writer’s block in painting?”

“Ya have a better term for it?”

Hoshi started to argue. She smiled. “No.”

“Writer’s block, then.”

“I hoped if I saw some of your work I might get inspired.”

“So? You inspired?”

“Inspired, yes. Inspired to paint… That remains to be seen.”

“Well, I showed you mine. When you get yours done, you gotta show me yours.”

“Deal. Where is T’Pol?”

“I dunno. She went for a walk. She was chomping at the bit to go with Archer onto the space station.”

Hoshi leaned forward, looking out the windows at the space station they were docked at. “It’s smaller than most.”

“Yeah, but busy. Archer said the commissioner is talking about expanding over the next twenty years. At that rate, he should just start from scratch!”

“No kidding.”

“So what kinda cake you want for your birthday next week?”

Hoshi looked down. “I don’t want a birthday. I’m going to be so old.”

“You are not old, Hoshi. What kind?”

“If I have to have one, make it double chocolate bundt cake.”

Trip smiled. “You don’t like chocolate or anything, do you?”

Hoshi grinned. “Not at all. Well, better go get a shower.”

“Yeah. Better. You stink!”

Hoshi jumped up, sticking her tongue out at Trip. She trotted off, leaving him to his work. Hoshi tapped the door controls. T’Pol was walking down the hall carrying a large, wrapped object. Hoshi walked up to her, staring at it.

“What’s that?”

“A gift for my husband.”

“What is it?”

“A sculpture.”

“Oh. Well, good-night.”

T’Pol walked on, glancing back once to make sure Hoshi had continued walking.

#

Hoshi looked up when Archer called her name. He ran up to her, grabbing her arm and pulling her with him.

“You know we met with the Rafoq today?” Archer said with urgency.

“Yeah?”

“Well, we were having dinner and things just exploded! I need you to talk to them and calm them down.”

“You’re translator isn’t working?”

“No. It can’t keep up.”

Archer turned a corner and walked into the mess hall with her.

“SUPRIRSE!”

Hoshi stopped, staring. Not at the crewmen standing around, but the glass sculpture sitting on the table that they were standing around. Hoshi looked back at Archer.

“We pulled our money and bought you one.”

“But…” Hoshi looked at it. “That had to be expensive!”

“Not when everyone’s chipping in. It’s not as big as the one I wanted to get you, but—”

Hoshi hugged Archer, not caring if he was her senior officer or not.

“THANK YOU!” Hoshi cried out to everyone, letting Archer go.

She circled the room with hugs until she had hugged everyone, including Phlox and T’Pol. She turned to the sculpture. It was shaped like bamboo with little insects that looked like dragonflies around it. Hoshi reached out, touching it, half expecting it to be a fake. Her hand glided across the smooth glass onto the textured glass of the bamboo and insects. She didn’t notice everyone moving away for cake and ice cream.

“Maybe this will help unlock those emotions so you can paint now.” Trip said, leaning in.

Hoshi smiled, not taking her eyes off the sculpture. “Maybe, sir.”

Trip patted her shoulder and joined the rest of the crewmen. Hoshi sat down, too captivated by her present to take her eyes off it.


Hope you enjoyed these Star Trek Enterprise stories.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!


Back to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.