Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"No Borders"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Cardassians kidnap two Jit and Trip during an attack, forcing Archer and Malcolm to go to the mining colony they're being held at to rescue them. During the rescue Archer discovers Malcolm is thinking of asking Sista to marry him.


CHAPTER 4

Memories changed like sun on water in his mind. He drifted across time, from the present to the past, seeing places and hearing voices long gone. It was cold sometimes, but most of the time it was warm and he was comfortable. And then he remembered the shooting in the mines, watching Cardassians fall left and right as he ran past them. He remembered being trapped behind a tree and lastly, the Cardassian aiming and shooting.

Archer opened his eyes. He wasn’t in a forest any more. He was staring at the ceiling of Sickbay. It was quiet around him, only interrupted by the occasional whisper or the sound of someone walking past. Archer turned his head, staring at Petty Officer Marshall. The young man was in a biosuit, but the arm was removed and his upper arm to wrist was wrapped in gauze. There was a long cut from his temple down under his ear.

“You’re awake.”

Archer turned his head, finding Trip standing there. Archer looked past him at the several other crewmembers lying on bio-beds nearby

“We sorta run out of room in Sickbay, Captain. Couldn’t give you a private room,” Trip joked.

Archer started to sit up and grimaced when pain shot up his side into his shoulder and down into his hip.

“Lay still, Jonathan,” Trip said in a very quiet voice, and then added in a louder voice, “You took a phaser hit to the gut and it’s pretty nasty I’m told. Doc says you’re in here for at least another two days. Then he’s ordering you to your quarters for a week and if you don’t obey, he’ll claim medical authority and confine you there.”

Archer looked up at Trip. Trip smiled, shrugging his eyebrows.

“Where are we?” Archer asked.

“We’re back in neutral space again. About ten light years from those damned Cardassians and Varlikons.”

Archer looked at Trip’s arm that was resting in a sling.

“How are you?” Archer nodded toward his arm.

Trip looked at his arm. “Dislocated shoulder. It’ll heal. I advise never letting them two aliens get their hands on ya though. They put a whole new meaning to torture.”

“What did you tell them?”

“My name and rank.”

Archer looked at his friend’s face. “Trip. I’m serious. What did you tell them?”

“My name and my rank, sir. At least when I wasn’t drugged I did. I don’t know about the other times. T’Pol and Malcolm have been hurt too.”

Archer looked at Trip. “Who’s in command?”

“Sista. Doc said T’Pol will be released tomorrow and you know her. She’ll make pretended she’s alright and take command.”

Archer smiled. “She’s a good commander.”

Trip smiled. “I know. But she has a nasty looking bump on her head.”

“How many did we lose, Trip?”

Trip looked down. “Ten. T’Pol and Sista said we’re lucky it was so few. Doesn’t feel lucky.”

“Who were they?”

“Quarter Master Benson; Ensigns Jacobs, O’Neal, Parsons and Davis; Lieutenants Harper, Karl, Dayton, Gibaldi, and Wakowski.”

“What a loss,” Archer whispered. “How many injured?”

“Just over forty. We set up med in two of the storage rooms to accommodate.”

“Draft me a letter to send to Starfleet for their families, Trip. And get the report done.”

“Will do, sir.”

“What happened to Malcolm?”

“He was helping in engineering when a torpedo hit caused a relay to blow. Happened on our way out of Cardassian space.”

“How is he?”

“Complaining that nothing’s getting done in the armory.”

Archer shook his head a little, smiling. “Give him a message for me.”

“Sure.”

“Tell him to ask her as soon as he’s released and if he waits one minute after that I’m putting him on KP duty.”

Trip smiled. “He gonna know what that means?”

“He’ll know.”

“I’ll tell him. Get some rest. I’ll check back later.” Trip turned and left Archer’s sight.

Archer closed his eyes, drifting back to the warm place he’d been in minutes.

#

Sista pressed the button outside of Malcolm’s door and waited. It opened but he wasn’t in the door. Sista slowly walked in, looking around the darkness.

“Shhh,” Malcolm said and then put his hands over her eyes.

Sista smiled.

“Keep them closed for a moment,” Malcolm whispered in Sista’s ear. He kissed her cheek.

Sista laughed, keeping her eyes closed. She heard Malcolm move around her and then felt his hand on her left arm. His hand slid down her arm to her hand to her hand. He laced his fingers into hers, lifting her hand up.

“You can open them,” Malcolm said.

Sista looked up at Malcolm, then around the room. Five candles cast dim light in the room.

“Will you marry me?” Malcolm said.

Sista looked up at him, then down at his open right hand and the ring lying in his palm. Sista looked up at him.

“Union for life?” Sista asked.

Malcolm nodded.

Sista smiled. “Ta...yes.”

Malcolm slid the ring on her finger. He pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

“I love you,” Malcolm whispered as he hugged her to him.

Sista hugged him back. “I love you too, Malcolm.”

#

Archer sat the book in his hand on the bed beside him when the doorbell beeped.

“Come in.”

Malcolm stepped in wearing a smile.

“You asked her?” Archer asked.

Malcolm nodded. “Yes, sir. She said yes.”

Archer held out his hand. Malcolm walked up to the bed and shook his Captain’s hand.

“Congratulations, Lieutenant. When is it going to be?”

“In two months, sir. We wanted to wait for you to be released to duty and tended to other matters from the battle beforehand.”

“Thank you. Let me know what accommodations we need to make for the wedding and I’ll make sure they happen.”

“Thank you, sir.” Malcolm turned and walked to the door. He stopped in the door, looking back at Archer. “And thank you for your encouragement, sir.”

Archer watched the door close. “Any time, Lieutenant,” Archer told the door.

Archer picked up his book and went back to reading. His other hand mindlessly began stroking Porthos as he read.


Back to Chapter 3
This series continues in Epizootic
The next Tweens story is The Wedding

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.