Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Oopsy Daisies"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: Trip and T'Pol's relationship hits a bump. Trip and his friend get busted for a bar brawl. Dogs will be dogs. A stairway to heaven? Navta is convinced she's going to die now, and Archer isn't prepared for this talk.


Training (6)

Archer stopped a crewman walking toward him. “Have you seen Navta and my dog?”

“No, sir.”

“Thanks.”

Archer kept walking, stopping everyone to ask the same question. He spotted Trip.

“Trip.”

Trip stopped and turned. “Cap’n?”

“Have you seen Navta and my dog?”

“What time is it?”

“Probably after sixteen hundred.”

“They’d be in the Diedra.”

“What is she doing in the Diedra?”

Trip smiled. “You don’t know?”

“No.”

“Bad dad! Bad!” Trip turned and walked away.

“Trip, what is she doing in the Diedra?”

“Why don’t ya ask your daughter that, Cap’n?” Trip turned a corner.

Archer started walking again.

#

Archer walked onto the empty bridge of the Diedra.

“Diedra, locate Navta.”

“Navta is in the holosuite.”

Archer turned and walked down the hall to the holosuite. He tapped a control and the door slid open. Archer stepped inside. Several feet in front of him was an agility course. At one end Navta was walking Porthos on his leash. Archer walked in, staying out of sight.

For nearly fifteen minutes Navta put Porthos through several basic training sets. Sit, stay, come, down, turn, wait — and Porthos obeyed every command with such exuberance Archer wondered how he was able to contain his excitement to obey. Navta walked him to the end of the ring and set off at a jog with him around the arena. The two made five laps, picking up speed with each lap until they were running at full speed together. Navta brought their speed back down, bringing them back around to the end of the arena. She knelt down, petting Porthos and talking to quiet for Archer to hear. She stood and ordered Porthos to stay. She unclipped his leash and dropped it.

“Computer,” Navta said out loud. The computer beeped. “Set timer for five seconds and sound whistle when time elapses.”

The computer beeped. Navta took a deep breath, looking down at Porthos. He looked up at her, wagging his tail. A whistle sounded and the two sprinted from their position. Archer smiled, watching Navta command Porthos around the obstacle course. The little Beagle performed with precision that could have only come with hours and hours of training. They finished and Navta talked excitedly to him, offering him a drink of water and a treat. They went through the course four more times before Navta put him back on his leash.

“Computer, run field trial program. Premark trail with scent and place duck.”

The arena changed to a field surrounded by woods. Archer moved behind a tree before either spotted him. Navta produced a whistle from her pocket and ordered Porthos to sit and stay. He obeyed, but his body was at tense attention, watching the field ahead. Navta put the whistle to her lips and blew. Porthos bolted into the field. Navta whistled every time he reached a marker and while Archer couldn’t distinguish between the whistles, there was apparently enough of a difference that Porthos knew which direction it meant. He reached the ‘duck’, which turned out to be a stuffed canvas roll, and ran straight back to Navta. Navta smiled when Porthos dropped the duck at her feet and sat. She practiced this routine, with different routes, and every time Porthos completed the task happily. Archer had to laugh at the pride Porthos ran back with his prize to place it at Navta’s feet in exchange for a scratch behind the eyes.

Navta stood. “Computer, run beach program.”

Archer found himself standing on the beach with the ocean lapping at the sand. Porthos saw him first and raced as fast as he could toward Archer. Archer knelt, catching the dog when he reached him. Porthos licked Archer’s face, his tail wagging happily.

“K’PAN!” Navta cried, running up to him.

She threw her arms around him and he hugged her back. Archer let Porthos go, watching him run into the surf. He turned to Navta.

“How long have you been training my dog?”

“Your dog?”

“Our dog.”

Navta smiled. “A long time.”

“You’re doing a really good job. I was watching.”

“You think he’s doing good?”

Archer nodded. “I think he’s doing really good.”

“Are you working? Can you go swimming with us?”

Archer stood, taking her hand. He walked toward the changing rooms.

“How was school today?”

“Good. I started calculus today.”

Archer laughed.

“What?”

“I didn’t start calculus until I was in college. My little genius.”

Navta threw her arms around Archer’s waist. Archer laughed, trying to knock her over as they walked and getting shoved for it.


Back to Chapter 5
Continue to Chapter 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.