Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Oopsy Daisies"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: Trip and T'Pol's relationship hits a bump. Trip and his friend get busted for a bar brawl. Dogs will be dogs. A stairway to heaven? Navta is convinced she's going to die now, and Archer isn't prepared for this talk.


Stairway to Where? (7)

It was the strangest thing they’d ever seen. Well, maybe not the strangest ever, but it was certainly the strangest thing they’d seen in at least a few weeks. So strange, in fact, that Trip didn’t notice or care that T’Pol, Archer, Hoshi and Phlox were pressed in so where they were breathing down his neck or pushing him into the helm in front of him.

“Well…” Archer started. But clearly that was all that came to mind because he said nothing further.

“Indeed.” Trip said after a few minutes of silence.

Silence again.

“Maybe… Maybe we should share a story with these guys.” Trip said.

“A story?” everyone asked, looking at him.

Trip nodded, motioning toward the window. Before them was a small planet of mostly land. At least two-dozen aliens in space suits were constructing a ladder. Not a gigantic ladder. One that someone could climb on, if they felt so inclined to. The ladder was constantly being stabilized by what appeared to be automatic jets. The ladder disappeared to the continent thousands of kilometers to the surface.

“What story?” Archer asked.

“The story of Babel.”

“The Hebrew story of people building a temple to their deity’s realm?”

“That’s the one.” Archer answered.

“According to their leader, they are not attempting such a feat.” T’Pol said. “They are doing it for posterity.’”

The others looked at her.

“He actually said they were doing it for posterity?” Archer asked her.

“No. Not actually. His exact words were ‘we are building it because we can.’ Not a very convincing argument, but I imagine there are underlying reasons.”

“Or not.” Hoshi said.

“When did you talk to him about this?” Archer asked. “Where was I?”

“We discussed it while waiting for you four to join us in the dining room last night.”

“You knew about this and you didn’t tell us?” Trip asked.

“I didn’t believe it was critical information.”

“Critical, no, but we would have liked to of known,” Hoshi scolded,

“I apologize.”

The five looked back at the ladder.

“Think they’ll make it?” Trip asked.

“Their determination isn’t much different than humans.” She replied.

The others smiled. Hoshi patted T’Pol’s back.

“Sometimes, T’Pol, you surprise us with your compliments.” T’Pol opened her mouth to reply. “Even if they weren’t intentional.”

They fell silent again, watching the continuing construction of the ladder.


Back to Chapter 6
Continue to Chapter 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.