Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Oopsy Daisies"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: Trip and T'Pol's relationship hits a bump. Trip and his friend get busted for a bar brawl. Dogs will be dogs. A stairway to heaven? Navta is convinced she's going to die now, and Archer isn't prepared for this talk.


There Are Some Things… (8)

Archer walked into his ready room, glancing at Navta as he walked past her. She was sitting in a chair, her arms on the armrests and staring at her feet. He sat down in his desk chair, setting the PADDs in his hands on the desk.

“Good morning, Navta,” Archer said, “Why didn’t you come to breakfast, honey?”

Archer had been working for ten minutes before he realized she hadn’t replied. Archer looked over at her. She was slowly tapping the toes of her shoes together. Archer turned his back to her and backed his desk chair up beside hers. He leaned on the arm of her chair, watching her.

“Wanna talk about it?” Archer asked.

Navta shrugged.

“Is it going to make me mad?”

Navta shrugged.

Archer leaned close. “Talk to me, honey.”

Navta let out a long, sad sigh. “I’m gonna die.”

“You’re going to die?”

She nodded.

“Navta, you’re not going to die. Least not today.”

“Yes I am. Maybe tomorrow.”

Navta picked up the edge of her shirt and played with it. Archer leaned in close and stayed there until she looked up at him.

“Honey, who told you that you were going to die?”

“No one.” Navta started crying. “I’m gonna bleed to death.”

Archer looked over her and didn’t see any sign of blood. “Honey, I don’t see any blood.”

Navta started bawling. Archer laid his hand on her back and rubbed it.

“Navta, calm down. Calm down.”

“I’m gonna bleed to death, K’pan!”

“Where are you bleeding?”

Navta looked down, her mouth working soundlessly. When the answer to his question suddenly hit him, Archer’s composure sank into his boots. He sat back in his chair, looking at the ceiling.

“K’pan?”

Archer looked at her. The two stared at each other for a moment. He reached out, laying his hand on the back of her head and smiled.

“Honey, are you bleeding down below?”

Navta started bawling again. Archer smiled, hugging her when she leaned against him.

“It’s okay. I’m sure that even for Jit this is normal.”

“It’s normal for humans to bleed to death down there?”

“Honey, you’re not going to bleed to death.”

“How can you be sure?”

Archer tried several times to answer that question. “Because I just know,” was the only one that came out and even that made his face heat up.

“I’m scared, K’pan.”

“Why don’t I call Vardee and have her talk to you about—”

“She left to take T’Pol to meet the Vulcans.”

“Then I’ll call Bril—”

“She’s with Vardee.”

“And Phlox is at the medical conference. Talk about imperfect timing.” Archer pushed Navta up, smiling. “Wait here.”

Archer got up and walked over to the companel near the door. He tapped it once.

“Archer to Sato.”

“Go ahead, sir.”

“Hoshi, can you come to my ready room?”

“Yes, sir.”

Archer sat back down, wrapping his arm around Navta’s shoulders. He kissed her forehead.

“This isn’t the end of the world, I promise,” Archer assured her.

“I don’t believe you.”

Archer tapped her nose. “And why is that?”

Navta didn’t answer.

Archer looked up when his ready room door opened and Hoshi walked in. She stopped before him and pulled her hands behind her. Navta started bawling.

“What’s wrong with Navta, sir?” Hoshi asked.

“Hoshi, you need to talk to Navta about…a woman issue.”

Hoshi’s brow furrowed. “A woman issue?”

“Navta, tell her.”

Navta looked down, clamping her mouth shut.

“Navta, tell her.”

Navta shook her head.

“Navta, I’m pretty sure she’s been through the same thing. She’ll understand.”

Navta shook her head.

“What same thing, sir?” Hoshi asked.

Archer looked up at Hoshi and had to force a smile. “Navta is…she…uh…well you see, uhm, she…” Archer laughed nervously, making Hoshi’s eyebrows rise in surprise.

“I’m sorry, sir, I don’t understand what you’re saying,” Hoshi told him.

“I know. Uhm… Navta’s bleeding and she thinks she’s going to bleed to death.”

“She should be in Sickbay then, sir.”

“No. Not bleeding like that. She’s not really going to bleed to death. She’s bleeding… She’s… Uhm… This is amazingly embarrassing to talk about for a man.”

Hoshi’s brow furrowed. “What is, sir?”

Archer looked down, trying to find a tactful way to explain the situation to Hoshi.

“OH!” Hoshi cried out.

Archer looked up at her. She had her hand over her mouth. She dropped her hand and smiled.

That kind of bleeding! I understand, sir.” Hoshi crouched down in front of Navta, taking her hands. “Let’s go to my quarters and talk, okay?”

“You know why I’m bleeding?”

Hoshi smiled, squeezing her hands. “Yes. You’re becoming a woman. Come on, Navta.” Hoshi stood up, letting one hand go.

Navta got up and let Hoshi lead her out. Archer waited, even held his breath, until he was sure they weren’t going to be returning. Then he slouched in his chair, covering his face.

#

Non-Negotiable (9)

This story was moved to “Nuggets” so that you may enjoy the full Nuggets experience.


Back to Chapter 8

The next short story is Hado Venceres Tradición

The next Tweens story is Calling All Friends

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.