Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Pen to Paper"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: More prankster games, there's nothing like a hole outside the girl's bathroom, even the reclamation crew has a secret, and a crewman is lost.


Dog Days (5)

Archer opened his eyes, listening to the silence of his quarters. He could feel Porthos snuggled up against his side. Instead of ordering the Beagle off the bed like he usually did, Archer reached down and petted the Beagle. Porthos let out a low groan before stretching out his full length along Archer’s side and rolling onto his back so Archer could rub his belly. Archer looked up at the ceiling, letting his thoughts drift idly. With a heavy sigh Archer decided he should probably get up and at least think about working. He climbed out of bed and pulled on clothes. Archer smiled when Porthos trotted up to him, anxious as usual to head out on their morning walk. Archer stepped out of his quarters and started a stroll down the hall.

“Good morning, Captain,” T’Pol’s voice said.

Archer turned, watching T’Pol walk up to him. “Morning, T’Pol.”

“A message was received from the Trevun government.” She handed Archer a PADD.

“What did they want?”

“I do not know. It is addressed only to you.”

“Thank you.”

T’Pol turned and walked away. Archer started walking as he read the PADD. He smiled, looking down at Porthos.

“How about we do something different for our walk tomorrow, boy?”

Porthos wagged his tail.

#

“Hoshi!” Archer’s voice chirped behind her.

Hoshi spun her chair around in surprise, staring wide-eyed at Archer. He grinned.

“Morning, Hoshi,” Archer said far more cheerful than usual.

Hoshi forced an uneasy smile and replied, “Good Morning…Captain.”

“Open the ship COM.” Archer looked at the Menshara class moon hanging in front of them.

“Ready, sir,” Hoshi informed him.

“This is your Captain speaking. Put down what your doing, people.” Archer turned, leaning back against the railing. He met Trip’s gaze of curiosity with a smile. “As we’ve been going across the universe we’ve had very few occasions for shore leave together. A few people here, a few people there. Tomorrow everyone is getting shore leave, except for the twelve unlucky souls that have to stay and run Enterprise. We’ll be heading down to the Tervun moon Ezkla for a company picnic and this is casual. If I catch anyone doing work I will personally throw him or her in the lake that we’re going to be at. The current temperature of Ezkla is around thirty-three degrees Celsius. The reply I received had an attached note that the lake is warmed by hot springs, ideal for swimming. If anyone can remember where the volleyball and net are, please contact me right away. I also hope that there’s someone on this ship with a baseball and bat or football that doesn’t mind sharing. And for the poor twelve souls that I’ve banned to the ship, don't despair. Twelve others will be sent back so that no one misses out. We will start shuttling people down at oh-ten hundred tomorrow so make sure you get as much of your work done today as you possibly can. Archer out.”

Hoshi closed the channel. “We really get to have a picnic?” Hoshi asked.

Archer looked back at her. “Yes.”

Hoshi grinned, looking at Travis and then Malcolm.

“T’Pol, you pick the first twelve to stay on board. Then pick the twelve that will take their place.”

“Shall I designate shuttle pilots?” T’Pol asked.

“Naw. Trip, Travis and I will do the flying.”

“Oh thanks!” Trip laughed.

“For that, I should make you one of the twelve.” Archer pointed at Trip with the PADD in his hand.

“Insubordination retracted, sir,” Trip grinned.

Archer walked to the captain’s chair and sat down to began work.

#

Archer glanced back, making sure no one was watching. He turned and jogged off down the beach with Porthos running alongside. Archer slowed to a walk when he rounded a bend and looked around for a stick. He finally found one and picked it up. Porthos barked, jumping up and down with excitement.

“You want this?” Archer asked him, smiling.

Porthos barked ecstatically.

“Yeah? You do?”

Porthos ran in a circle around Archer, jumping and barking. Archer tossed it into the water. Porthos plunged into the water after it. Archer crouched down, watching him get the stick and swim back. Porthos ran out of the water to Archer and dropped the stick. Archer grabbed it and waved it in front of Porthos. Porthos started barking until he grabbed the stick and began tug-of-war with Archer. Archer laughed when Porthos let it go, making Archer fall back on the sand. Porthos jumped up on him, trying to lick his face.

“Crazy mutt!” Archer pushed Porthos away, sitting up. “Here. Here boy.” Archer picked up the stick and tossed it into the water.

Porthos plunged into the water to get the stick.

“Captain.”

Archer looked up, finding T’Pol standing behind him.

“Yeah?”

“Sir, I—”

They were both suddenly sprayed with water. Archer laughed, keeping his head turned until the shower stopped. He looked down at Porthos. The Beagle had placed his stick near Archer and was dancing excitedly, waiting expectantly for it to be thrown again.

“Thanks, Port,” Archer picked up the stick and threw it out into the water.

Porthos plunged into the lake after it. Archer looked up at T’Pol. She was wiping water off her face but showed no emotion. Archer smiled when she looked at him again.

“Sorry,” Archer said.

“You are apologizing for a dog.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“I came to ask if you would like me to pilot the shuttle back with half of the twelve that need to return to relieve the other shift. Commander Tucker is engrossed in a baseball game at the moment and he insists that they must wait until the ninth inning but he cannot tell me when that will be or what inning they are currently in.”

Archer smiled. “That’s fine.”

T’Pol suddenly stepped back and Archer was again sprayed with water. Archer closed his eyes, turning his face into the spray. When it stopped he looked down at Porthos. The Beagle was sitting behind his stick, waiting patiently for Archer to throw it again.

“Ya want something?”

Porthos let out a low howl.

“Yeah? What would you like?”

Porthos let out a low baying howl.

“What? I can’t hear you.”

Porthos stood, barking once again.

“That’s it? That’s all you have to say about it?”

Porthos barked several times, his tail wagging harder this time.

“Oh. Okay.” Archer picked up the stick and threw it into the water again, watching Porthos race into the water to retrieve it.

“Perhaps you should have asked the Utirians to teach you your canine companion’s language so you can better communicate with him,” T’Pol commented.

Archer looked up, surprised to find she was still there. “Perhaps.”

T’Pol looked out at the lake, watching Porthos swimming back to the shore. She looked down at Archer.

“I shall return to the surface shortly.”

“Yeah, whatever.”

T’Pol raised her eyebrow when Archer looked away, surprised by how hastily and nonchalantly he had just dismissed her. T’Pol turned and walked away, hearing Archer talking to Porthos and Porthos ‘talking back.’ T’Pol stopped and looked back when Porthos stopped making sound. Archer was cuddling Porthos to him, talking quietly to him. T’Pol turned and continued walking, wondering if she would ever understand the human’s relationship with animals.


Back to Chapter 4
Continue to Chapter 6

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.