Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Polemics"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: A crash leaves Archer mortally wounded and suffering from amnesia, and in the care of a strange race. Surrounded by a culture and experiences he would normally find intriguing, he struggles with eminent death and the desperation of remembering who he is.


CHAPTER 3

Archer stood at the table. He had a pot prepared and was gently removing an Apricot underling from it’s small pot. He winced when his headache flared. He put the underling into the hole in the potting soil and started pressing dirt around it. The little Apricot flicked his skin, making Archer smile. Suddenly the world tilted and swirled. Archer grabbed the edge of the table in an attempt to keep from falling. His hands slipped and he tipped backward. Priam was suddenly there, breaking his fall and helping him back on his feet.

“Archer, are you unright?” Priam asked.

Archer didn’t answer. His ears begun ringing and he was disoriented. He felt Priam’s hands guiding him.

“Come. Sit here,” Priam said.

Archer was aware he moved and felt something surround him that was solid, but his equilibrium was so off that he couldn’t tell up from down.

Priam laid his hand on Archer’s, sliding his fingers around to the inside of Archer’s wrist.

“You’re regulator rhythm is too fast. Stay in your seat and I’ll talk for Saphrus. I will return quickly.”

Archer didn’t reply. It felt like only seconds had passed before Priam was back at his side. He took Archer’s hand in both of his.

“He comes.”

“Thank you,” Archer whispered.

“You are welcome. This unrightness has been more frequent today. It wasn’t so two days ago.” Priam’s hand brushed Archer’s hair back

Archer gasped, his mortality and fate suddenly hitting him. “I don’t want to die.”

“Die?”

“End my existence.”

“I wish you not to die either,” Priam replied quietly. “There is much I could learn you.”

“What is the problem?” Saphrus voice asked.

Archer opened his eyes but the world was spinning in a sickening swirl of colors. Archer closed his eyes again.

“He is unright again,” Priam told Saphrus. “He was swaying and his covering became gray as you see.”

Saphrus sat down on a stool next to Archer. He sat the bag he was carrying beside him and pulled out an instrument. He held it over Archer’s free hand and then looked at the screen and frowned. He put it back and pulled out a small metallic device and a pen shaped instrument. He pressed the device onto Archer’s temple and aimed the pen at it. Lights on the device began flashing.

Archer’s dizziness quickly subsided and the ringing in his ears faded to a dull hum he could tolerate. He opened his eyes. Saphrus leaned forward, watching Archer’s eyes slowly focus on him. He held the pen device before Archer’s face.

“Follow this with only your sight, Archer.”

Archer followed it with his eyes and Saphrus frowned to see his eyes were slow to keep up with the pen. Saphrus dropped the pen device in his bag.

“You don’t look too happy,” Archer said.

“Soon, perhaps as early as the next rising sun, you won’t be getting out of bed.” Saphrus looked at Archer. “I feel sorrow for you.”

“Yeah,” Archer whispered. “Me too.”

Saphrus patted Archer’s shoulder. “I’ll check on you tonight.”

Archer nodded.

“Priam, sight me immediately if he becomes unright.”

“Yes, Saphrus.”

Saphrus turned, took two steps and disappeared. Archer closed his eyes. He suddenly became aware that Priam was still holding his hand. He looked at the Zian.

“You have work still left, don’t you?” Archer asked.

“It can wait. I feel worry for you. So does Charles. Look.” Priam pointed up.

Archer looked up. Charles’ pot hung from a bar overhead. The plant had laid its vines on Archer’s shoulders. Archer lifted his hand, letting Charles wrap his vines around his hand.

“They are so friendly.”

“They are.” Priam gave Archer’s hand a squeeze.

Archer pulled his hand away, placing it in his lap. He laid his head against back of the chair.

“I will work,” Priam told him. “When I am done, I will return and we will get nourishment.”

“Alright.”

Archer closed his eyes and was asleep in seconds. Priam smiled, patting Archer’s arm before he returned to work. Overhead Charles let his vines relax, veiling Archer’s face to block out the sunlight as it traveled across him.

#

“Archer.”

Archer opened his eyes. The greenhouse was bathed in the orange light of fading sunlight. Priam stood before him, smiling.

“You do not rest any more?”

“No.”

“It is time to return to my shelter and take nourishment, then retire until the light comes again.” Priam held out his hand to Archer.

Archer took it and let Priam help him to his feet. A wave of dizziness hit him. Priam slid his arm around Archer’s waist, holding Archer’s arm around his neck with his other hand. They took two steps and were in Priam’s kitchen. Priam eased Archer into a chair at the kitchen table.

Archer’s dizziness lessened. He watched Priam move around the kitchen as he prepared a meal. A sweet aroma filled the kitchen. The smell tugged at a buried memory in Archer, but he couldn’t retrieve it.

“What are you making?”

“It is called Ghuzi,” Priam said. “It is my favorite nourishment because it is sweet. Do you like sweet?”

“Maybe. We’re about to find out.”

Priam finished the meal and brought two plates to the table, setting one in front of Archer. He retrieved wide, flat forks and glasses of water and then sat down next to Archer. Archer tried a bite.

“It’s sweet like candy,” Archer said.

“What is candy?”

A smile of relief folded across Archer’s lips. “I remember candy. It’s something my beings eat for pleasure, not as a meal. My favorite is...” Archer closed his eyes a moment and smiled a little more. “Chocolate covered raspberries. They aren’t really candy, but they’re close. Every summer my mom would take us to the woods outside our settlement to get fresh raspberries. She’d melt the chocolate and stick the raspberries on bamboo skewers, dip them in and I could hardly wait the day it took for the chocolate to harden.”

Priam beamed. “They sound delicious.”

Archer barely nodded. He ate a small bite of his food, even though he wasn’t hungry. But he didn’t have the heart to tell Priam that.

“Priam, I have a question about your people.”

“Yes?”

“Every day that I’ve gone to and from the garden I’ve noticed that many of them appear to be coupled with the same sex.”

“Same sex?”

“Males with males, females with females.”

“Yes. We mate with the same sex. It is the only way we have underlings.”

“I think there are some of my beings that have same sex relationships. Most don’t.”

“There is no shame in difference, as long as you are accepting of ones differences and do not harm him or her being or thought for it.”

“That’s very insightful.”

“That’s one of our rules. We don’t really need the rule, but I have been talked that once we were harmed for our differences. That is why our ancient ones left our world and made shelters and settlements here.”

Archer nodded.

“And...you?” Priam asked. “Do you prefer male or female mates?”

Archer closed his eyes, thinking. He looked down when Priam touched his hand. Suddenly he understood the unspoken words in Priam’s touch and care of him. Archer looked into Priam’s eyes.

“I prefer female mates,” Archer said.

A pained, crushed look was so fleeting in Priam’s face that Archer almost missed it. He replaced it with a bright smile. He pulled his hand away, looking back at his plate.

“You should eat.”

Archer looked at his plate. It blurred.

“It is too bad you cannot remember your beings,” Priam told him. “I’m sure they are missing you.”

“Do you think so?”

“Yes. You’re kind and honest. I would miss you if you were a Zian and you became missing.”

The world around Archer swayed. Archer turned to tell Priam and collapsed. Priam caught Archer before he fell out of his chair and lowered him to the floor.

“Archer?” Priam laid his hand on Archer’s face, gently patting it. “Archer, sight me. Open your sights, Archer.”

“Get Saphrus, Priam. Hurry.” Archer whispered.

“I will return fast.” As he disappeared, Priam muttered, “The rule is unright!”

#

Archer’s dizziness wouldn’t subside and the ringing in his ears only made his head hurt worse. Priam held Archer’s hands, quietly assuring and consoling him. Archer didn’t push him away this time. The Zian’s presence and voice was all the encouragement he had to hang onto his life.

Priam looked over his shoulder when the door opened. Saphrus and a female Zian entered.

“We must talk, Priam,” Saphrus told him.

Priam pulled his hands away.

“Priam, don’t leave,” Archer begged. “Don’t leave me alone.”

Priam turned back and laid his hand on Archer’s cheek. He leaned close when Archer opened his eyes, smiling.

“I’ll be right back, Archer. Rest while I’m gone.”

Archer nodded.

Priam followed them out and in a few minutes returned. He walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge. Priam smiled, but Archer could tell it was forced.

“What’s wrong?” Archer asked.

“Nothing. We have found your beings, Archer. They have been talked of your coming and await. Saphrus will give you something to ease the dizziness and pain for the trip.”

“Trip.”

“What?”

“The man who’s named Charles, we all call him Trip. I’m captain of the starship Enterprise. I remember almost everything.”

Priam smiled. “It is good.”

“Priam, we have to leave,” Saphrus said as he approached the bed.

Priam moved out of Saphrus’ way. Saphrus pressed something against Archer’s neck and there was a soft whoosh. Archer closed his eyes, feeling the dizziness ease away. He opened his eyes and the room was no longer spinning. Saphrus and Priam helped him out of bed. Archer swayed. Priam caught him by wrapping his arm around Archer’s waist and pulling Archer’s other arm around his neck.

“Are you ready?” Priam asked.

Archer nodded and they took one step.

#

The three appeared in the middle of the crew’s base camp. All conversation died as everyone turned to stare at them. Trip dropped the cup in his hands and ran over to them. He draped Archer’s other arm over his neck and with Priam walked him over to a chair. Phlox grabbed his medic case and jogged over. He pulled out a scanner and began scanning Archer’s wound. Priam backed away from Archer, looking at the humans around him. Trip glanced at Priam before turning to Saphrus.

“Thank you for bringing him back. Both of you.” Trip glanced at the retreating Priam.

“Unfortunately we were unable to return him unharmed,” Saphrus said. “We feel sorrow for this.”

“We’re just glad he’s back. We have an engineering team working on that shuttle pod,” Trip motioned to the downed shuttle pod just outside of the firelight and electrical light. “It’s going to be another few days before they have it up and running. Is it okay that they’re here?”

“I will talk to the council, but I do not sight a problem with your request. A Zian will return to tell you otherwise if I am mistaken.”

Archer’s dizziness returned suddenly and with a vengeance. “Priam,” Archer murmured.

“That would be gre--”

“Commander, we have to get Captain Archer back to Enterprise immediately,” Phlox said, interrupting Trip.

Trip turned. “Why?”

“He will cease to exist soon,” Saphrus said. “Your device does not deceive you Physician.”

Trip looked at Saphrus. “What?”

“He is dying,” Phlox said.

Trip booked down at Archer

“We have to go,” Trip told Saphrus.

“Yes, of course.”

“Priam,” Archer called.

Saphrus turned to Priam, but the Zian had vanished. Saphrus walked up to Archer, crouching before him.

“He has left without bidding. What do you need?”

“Tell him to take care of Charles. He likes read and sung to.”

“I will deliver your talk to him, Archer.”

“Jonathan,” Archer said. “Tell Priam...my designation is Jonathan.”

“I will. Good bidding, Jonathan.” Saphrus disappeared.

Trip and Phlox helped Archer to his feet and walked him to the shuttle pod.

T’Pol watched the shuttle pod leave before she began giving orders to the crew.


Back to Chapter 2
Continue to Chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.