Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Remembering Sunshine"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: After being shot down in a jungle, Archer and Trip must rely on two Jit they barely know to survive.


CHAPTER 1

Doctor Phlox smiled at two crewmen as he entered engineering. He looked around the room for the injured crewman that had been reported.

“Doc,” a voice said quietly.

Doctor Phlox turned, spotting Trip leaning against the second level railing. Trip motioned Doctor Phlox to come up with his head and then looked away. Doctor Phlox walked to the stairs and climbed them. Halfway up he saw the Jit, Likos, tending to the injured crewman Doctor Phlox had been called away from Sickbay for. Likos was gently applying a salve to the crewman’s burns while he entertained his patient with light humor and conversation. Doctor Phlox sat his medical kit down and leaned against the railing with Trip, staying only because it was protocol. In the nine months that the Jit had been with them on Enterprise, Doctor Phlox had come to the decision not to interfere with Likos treating the minor injuries of the crew. While the boy was a self-trained physician, he was also a brilliant one and the crew hadn’t complained about it. Doctor Phlox looked at Trip when the Commander let out a heavy sigh.

“Is something wrong?” Doctor Phlox asked.

“He hates it here,” Trip replied.

“Crewman Walters?”

“No. Likos. He’s not an engineer or a mechanic. He’s a doctor. Hell, you wouldn’t even need to be here if it weren’t for protocol.”

Doctor Phlox nodded. “Yes. He did train himself well in medicine.”

“And look at that, will ya?” Trip smiled. “Kid’s got a healin’ touch.”

Doctor Phlox looked back at Likos. The Jit took Walter’s injured hand and held it between his. When he pulled his hands away, the cut on Walter’s hand was gone. Likos said something as he put the medical supplies away that Walter nodded to. Likos pulled a hypospray out of the medical kit and pressed it to Walters’ neck. Walters slowly got to his feet and went back to work. Likos finished cleaning up and returned to his own station.

“Kid doesn’t belong down here, Doc,” Trip grumbled. Trip turned, leaning on the railing and watching the people working in engineering. “He belongs in Sickbay working with you.”

“If Likos wanted to be in Sickbay, I’d like to think he’d have said something to me or the Captain about it. I’d best return to Sickbay, Commander.”

Trip looked at Doctor Phlox. “He wouldn’t ask either one of you, or me, to be transferred to Sickbay, Doc.”

“Oh? Why is that?”

“He’s not like that. Sista or Ryce, but not Likos. He was put in this position when he got here and he thinks he has to stay here. That’s how they think. Didn’t you know that?”

“No. I was not aware you were so familiar with Jit habits.”

Trip leaned one arm on the railing, facing Doctor Phlox. “They were slaves once. I doubt that’s something you just forget ‘cause you’re free.”

“Perhaps not. Good day Commander.”

Trip didn’t reply. Doctor Phlox turned and walked to the stairs. Halfway down he glanced up at Likos. The boy was working at his station, focused on his work. If Trip was right, there was no indication of it.

#

Archer and T’Pol looked up when the door opened and Trip walked in. Trip sat down and unfolded his napkin onto his lap. He sat a PADD down by his plate before he picked up the pitcher of tea and poured himself a glass.

“You’re late. Almost gave up on you,” Archer said.

“Last minute stuff. What’s for supper?”

“Steak and potatoes,” Archer smiled. “Unless you’re Vulcan. Then its...what is it T’Pol?”

“Vegetables,” T’Pol replied.

A crewman came in with a plate for Trip and sat it down in front of him.

“Thanks,” Trip said to the crewman. “I’m starvin’.”

The man offered a quick smile and left.

“T’Pol, one day you’re going to sprout long ears and whiskers around your nose eating all that rabbit food,” Trip joked.

T’Pol looked up at him. “That kind of physical change is impossible, Commander.”

“It was a joke, T’Pol,” Archer laughed.

“Hey, Cap’n, I wanna reassign Likos.”

“Where to?” Archer asked.

Trip popped a bite of potato in his mouth before answering. “To Sickbay.”

Archer looked up at Trip. “Sickbay? Why Sickbay?”

“Kid’s been a doctor for seven or so years on the Diedra. He’s first on the scene anytime anyone gets hurt and Doctor Phlox says he treats the patients correctly,” Trip sipped some of his tea. “I don’t think he’s really all that interested in his duties. I mean, he’s good at them but I think Jit are pretty well-rounded in skills and could do pretty much any job you put them in front of. But his love is medicine. I mean, you should hear him talk when he and Doctor Phlox are at lunch. They talk about things I’ve never heard of.”

“He’s never requested another position.” Archer picked up his knife and began sawing off a bite of his steak. “Have you asked Likos if that’s what he wants?”

“He’d say no even if I asked. So I asked Vardee about it and she says he’s asked her to put in a request for him. She’s told him he has to do it himself, but he never has. He wants to move.”

“Doctor Phlox barely has enough to occupy himself in Sickbay,” Archer pointed out. “He’s not a doctor, either. He’s self-trained. I can’t have him practicing medicine on my ship without a degree.”

“So he could act as an assistant until he can become a doctor.”

“Trip, do you know how many light years away from anyplace that will train Likos as a doctor we are?”

Trip’s face lit up. “I came prepared for that question!”

Archer sat back, dropping his fork and knife. “I should have known.”

Trip proudly handed Archer the PADD he’d brought in. “I went digging and asking questions after work today. Most of the stuff he has to do is tests anyway. Some of the stuff he has to do with a doctor present. That’s where Doctor Phlox’s not having enough to do comes in.”

“Have you talked to Doctor Phlox about this?”

“Yeah.”

“What did he say?”

“He’s game if you are.”

Archer looked at the PADD in his hand and scanned the proposal Trip had drafted. He looked at Trip. “You want Starfleet to transmit all the texts and tests to us and let Doctor Phlox administer the training and the tests so that Likos can earn a Ph.D. in medicine?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you know how long it takes most people to earn a doctorate in medicine?”

“Yeah.”

“Trip, do you have any idea how ridiculous this is?” Archer held up the PADD.

“It is actually quite logical,” T’Pol commented.

Both men looked at her.

Archer sat the PADD down. “I seem to be missing two ends here. Find them for me, T’Pol.”

“Doctor Phlox has earned several doctorates himself and he knows the training required to earn a doctorate in medicine. The Jit learn at an expedient rate and Likos may earn a doctorate in under a year were he to be given the tests and training. What Commander Tucker is proposing is a very viable and sensible solution.”

“You’re siding with him?” Archer hiked a thumb at Trip.

“I am not siding with anyone. I am merely pointing out that Commander Tucker has a logical solution and if Likos does want to be a doctor, then he should be allowed the opportunity. Denying Likos such an opportunity would make you appear to be no better than the Varlikon.”

“You think I’m acting like the Varlikon?”

“Do you?” T’Pol turned back to her vegetables, concluding her observation, “You should at least take the proposal into consideration and offer it to Starfleet. Ultimately, they will be the ones to accept or reject it.”

Archer looked back at Trip’s grinning face.

“It’s got Vulcan approval, Cap’n,” Trip motioned to T’Pol with his fork. “Can’t be too hair-brained.”

Archer shook his head, smiling. “Anything you come up with Trip is usually hair-brained. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes needed, but almost always hair-brained.”

“Why thank you.”

Archer laughed. He set the PADD aside and returned to eating his supper. “So how’s Walters? Heard he got a little close to the plasma conduits today.”

Trip grinned, telling Archer the stories of the day.

#

Archer had just returned to work when his doorbell rang again.

“Come in. Welcome to Grand Central Station,” Archer joked, looking up.

Sista stepped in, smiling. “Grand Central Station?”

“A really busy place on earth. People always coming and going.”

“Has it been busy today?”

“Quite. How are you?”

“Well, and you?”

“Can’t complain. What can I do for you today, Vardee?”

“Well, first, griftlina for letting Likos transfer. He much happier in Sickbay.”

“So I’ve heard.”

“I came to ask favor for Likos and Drista.”

“What’s that?”

“You going to planet tomorrow, yes?”

“As long as they show up with an escort to keep the rebels from shooting us down, yes.”

“Tomorrow Drista and Likos anniversary. May they go to planet with you and Trip?”

Archer thought. “Let me get a hold of the chancellor again before I say yes. Tell them I’ll let them know.”

“Griftlina,” Sista smiled. “Very much.”

“Griftlina. Is that all?”

“Yes,” Sista turned and left.

Archer returned to his work.

#

Archer glanced at Drista. She looked older than her fifteen Varlikon years tonight. One of the women on board had loaned her a green dress and it made the red highlights in her dark brown hair glow. Her green eyes watched the party with a joyous expression that contributed to her full red-lipped smile. Standing at her side stood Likos, dressed in a tuxedo as Archer and Trip were. Archer almost changed his mind about coming to the planet at all when the Ambassador told him they would be attending a ball with a dress code that required this kind of attire.

“Did you wish them happy anniversary?” Trip asked quietly as he walked up behind Archer.

“Yeah. While we were waiting for you on Enterprise.”

“I’m gonna get married some day.”

“Do I get to be the best man?”

Trip thought for a minute. “Naw. I’m going to let Porthos have that honor.”

Archer smiled, looking at Trip. “He’ll be honored. I’m sure.”

Trip sipped his drink. “I hate tuxes, you know that?”

“T’Pol doesn’t.”

Trip shot Archer a stern look.

“I just happened to notice that she--”

“Captain Archer,” someone said.

Archer and Trip turned, smiling at Chancellor Urlus.

“Chancellor,” Archer extended his hand.

The chancellor took Archer’s hand, covering it with his other hand as he shook it. “I understand there was some trouble landing today,” he said with a disapproving look meant for someone else.

“Well, the rebels did try to welcome us, but your people had things under control. Thank you.”

Chancellor nodded. “I suppose you’ve seen this type of thing on other worlds.”

Archer forced a smile. “Yes.”

Trip coughed to cover his laughter at Archer’s bald face lie. “Excuse me,” Trip said, leaving the chancellor and Archer to talk.

“Are these two of your crew?” the chancellor asked, motioning to Likos and Drista.

“They are part of Captain Vardee’s crew. She and her crew joined my crew a little over nine months ago.”

“I see. They are young.”

“They age slower than most humanoids we’ve encountered. In comparison to my planet’s years, for every one of their years is two of Earth’s.”

“I would like to know that secret,” The chancellor laughed. “Please, come meet Mayer Roltek.”

Archer followed the chancellor threw the crowd.

#

Trip glanced back, watching Likos and Drista pack items into compartments. The entire back of the shuttle pod was filled with parting gifts from government officials. Archer had accepted them with a show of political gratitude, but between greetings Archer had muttered to Trip, ‘Just what we need, more things to dust. Where the hell are we going to put all this junk?’ Trip just smiled and kept quiet.

Archer stepped onto the shuttle pod and slapped the control by the door closing the hatch behind him.

“Get us out of here Trip. If I get one more gift of goodwill I’m going to go screaming and they will never invite us back again,” Archer looked back at the pile of gifts before flashing a smile at Drista and Likos. The two were sitting on the bench at the back. Archer glanced at their hands laced together and smiled.

“You handled yourself well, sir,” Likos complimented with a pleasant smile.

Archer smiled, sitting down in the co-pilot chair. “I have figured out why T’Pol likes you Jit so much.”

Trip looked back at Archer with open surprise.

“Why is that, sir?” Drista asked, laughing gently at Archer’s approaching joke.

“Because you have the same logic. What did you say, Likos?” Archer looked up. “Ah, yes, ‘If nothing else, Captain, you can exchange the gifts with a merchant or sell them for latinum somewhere.’” Archer looked over his shoulder at Likos. “You sounded like T’Pol.”

“Yes,” Likos turned, smiling, “But I meant it as a joke. She would not have.”

Archer laughed. “No, Likos, she wouldn’t have. Get this bucket of bolts off the ground and aim it toward home, Trip,” Archer ordered.

Trip turned and initiated launch.

“The escort flyers should greet us at three-hundred and five kilometers,” Archer said.

“I vote for less of a bumpy ride this time,” Trip said.

“I second that vote.”

The shuttle pod lifted off the ground and headed for the sky. At three hundred and five meters two flyers joined them and the three craft continued the ascent.

“We have company again,” Archer snarled.

“AGAIN!? Don’t these rebels get we’re just visitin’?” Trip asked.

“They’re firing weapons,” Archer reported.

The shuttle pod rocked from a hit.

“Aw hell! We took a direct hit!” Trip shook his head. “And we’re losing altitude. Will we land inside the perimeter fence?”

“No.”

“Hold on tight back there,” Trip called to Drista and Likos.

“Hail Enterprise,” Archer told Trip.

“I can’t. The transceiver got fried too. Where are the escorts?”

“They disappeared shortly after we were hit,” Archer replied.

“Oh this trip just keeps getting funner by the minute! Brace for impact!”

Archer watched the sky arc away and the land below reappear as the shuttle pod began a fast descent toward it. Below them was dense jungle that resembled the Brazilian rain forest.

“I have no way of slowing her down! This is gonna be painful, people!” Trip yelled.

Archer closed his eyes when the trees were close enough he could see the leaves on them. He could hear the muffled sound of branches breaking against the shuttle pod as it tore through the upper canopy. There was a loud pop followed by Trip screaming. Sharp debris rained across Archer’s face and body. Archer ducked his head and put his arms up to shield his face from the debris. The shuttle pod hit solid ground with a loud bang, miraculously managing to stay upright. The shuttle pod slid at an angle across the land with half the velocity it had before falling into the rainforest canopy. Every so often it would hit a something and ricochet in a different direction and slow it down a little. The rain of debris became a slow shower. Archer opened his eyes, watching a blur of green and brown racing past the broken out front window. He briefly wondered what they’d hit to break out the supposedly unbreakable material. His eyes focused on the blue sky beyond the dense rainforest they were speeding through. A cold lump sank into Archer’s stomach when he realized why there was blue sky ahead.

“There’s a cliff...OH SHIT!” Archer shrieked, thinking, ‘And even if it’s just a mountain side, we’re still dead!’

Archer lunged out of his seat, pushing past Trip. He reached for the grappler control but froze and slowly looked back at Trip. Trip was slumped down in the pilot’s seat. His face was a mask of bright red blood. A branch had pierced his side turning his uniform black where blood was soaking it. With both wounds bleeding the entire pilot’s seat was covered with blood. The shuttle pod bounced up and began a roll to starboard. Archer looked around, jamming his finger against the grappler control. Archer grabbed for the back of the pilot’s seat but the blood had made it slick and his hands slipped off as the shuttle pod continued it’s roll.

Archer fell back against the co-pilot controls, smacking his head on the edge of them. Pain flashed across his temple as gravity slammed him against the hull. Archer looked up, seeing Trip fall from the pilot’s seat. Trip’s body glanced off the co-pilot controls and flew toward the back out of sight. The shuttle pod jumped when it hit something else and began another roll. With a loud clang it landed on its top, throwing Archer against the ceiling and continuing its cannonball run toward the impending doom ahead. The darkness under the rainforest canopy began to be penetrated by sunlight as the canopy became less dense. Archer expected to see the cliff or mountain edge at any minute. He didn’t want to watch, but he couldn’t look away. Archer found himself reciting ‘Where the Sidewalk Ends’--he had read the poem to Navta months ago--without questioning why or pondering how ridiculous the thought was at a time like this.

There is a place where the sidewalk ends, and before the street begins, and there the grass grows soft and whIIITE!’

The shuttle pod snapped to a stop. Archer’s hands flailed out for something to grab to stop his slide forward. His hand caught the co-pilot’s armrest as he went flying past it and he tightened his grip. Something hit Archer’s back and he looked around to see Trip’s body sailing past him toward the broken window.

Archer snapped his hand out, grabbing a hold of Trip’s pant leg before Trip was jettisoned out the window into the forest. Archer cringed when the weight of Trip’s body caused both his arms to snap straight, sending shards of pain into his shoulders, neck and back. He forced his fingers to tighten on his best friend’s pants leg and the armrest despite the pain. The shuttle pod swung around one hundred and eighty degrees and came to an abrupt halt. Archer and Trip, still caught in the inertia of the spin, were sent careening toward the back of the shuttle pod. Archer caught a glimpse of Drista sandwiched between the ladder and the back of the shuttle pod seconds before he was slammed into the ladder.

Archer screamed from the pain that raced across his abdomen and chest causing him to suck in a breath and then gravity slammed him to the ceiling that was littered with gifts. Archer looked up, seeing Trip within reaching distance. Trip’s face was covered with blood that was dripping onto the gifts he was laying on and had soaked into his hair and covered his neck. Archer slid his hand toward Trip. He passed out as the tips of his fingers grazed his best friend’s bloody shoulder.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.